• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steelrising Is Looking Like a Surprisingly Good Bloodborne Tribute (IGN.com)

The surge 2 maybe??

I can only think at the atmosphere and story\creepy vibe being better in the first one.

No. Initially playing the surge 2 felt better but I recently returned and replayed the first and it was far superior in atmosphere while the second just has better bosses I guess and everything else is just meh.

GymWolf

No. Initially playing the surge 2 felt better but I recently returned and replayed the first and it was far superior in atmosphere while the second just has better bosses I guess and everything else is just meh.
Combat is more fluid, better weapon variety , enemy variety is better, location variety is better, upgrades are better, level design is even more intricate.

For me it's a bigger better surge with worse atmosphere and story.

Roberts

Combat is more fluid, better weapon variety , enemy variety is better, location variety is better, upgrades are better, level design is even more intricate.

Yeah, I still kind of remember Surge 1 story yet have no recollection of what happened in Surge 2 at all, but as a game it is definitely better.

Combat is not more fluid. It felt like I was on ice all the time. More isnt always better. Also the game looked like horse shit with its horrid bloom/washed colors. You should replay them both one day, you'll notice more flaws with the second than the first.

GymWolf

Combat is not more fluid. It felt like I was on ice all the time. More isnt always better. Also the game looked like horse shit with its horrid bloom/washed colors. You should replay them both one day, you'll notice more flaws with the second than the first.
When you have more weapons and moveset for me is always better, the first one only had 5 types of weapons and i loved every new type of weapon in 2, from the double swords to the chestus type, same for the ranged weapons.

Both surge games are a bit skate-y gameplay wise, the second one just felt more fluid\fast to me, it's not like surge 1 had lords of the fallen super heavy feeling...

Graphic wise they are both meh but at least 2 has more visual variety, maybe less inspired but way more varied.

I remember both games pretty well, and i love both for different reasons, i love them more than nioh even if niho saga is probably way better.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
No dig against the developer here, you can tell they're passionate about this game, and I hope it finds an audience, but.....

You can tell this is another "souls-like" that copies the superficial stuff from the Souls games without really "getting" what makes them great to begin with. The atmosphere is off, the combat looks..ehh..

I'd argue those are two of the most important parts of a proper Souls game. This is going to end up like Mortal Shell, Surge, Code Vein, etc etc etc that gets the basic formula correct but doesn't nail any of the details.
Every. Fuckin. Time. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is "doomclone" all over again and every time a new Soulslike pops up it's a mad dash to see who can be first with the "yeah but it's not quite Dark Souls is it?" remark lol. Honestly, I can't wait for people to get over themselves.

There's plenty of room for imitators, clones or titles that are outright better*. From Software's games won't go anywhere and they'll always be heralded as the studio that laid the groundwork for an entire genre with their releases. It just gets so predictable seeing this same comment pop up time and time again. I hope we move past that sooner rather than later.

*Examples that come to mind elsewhere would be stuff like Rayman Legends and Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed which were both, arguably, better in certain aspects compared to their main inspirations. Thankfully no one felt the need to constantly remind everyone that "yeah but it's not quite Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart are they?"

Last edited:

Pejo

This is "doomclone" all over again and every time a new Soulslike pops up it's a mad dash to see who can be first with the "yeah but it's not quite Dark Souls is it?" remark lol. Honestly, I can't wait for people to get over themselves.

There's plenty of room for imitators, clones or titles that are outright better*. From Software's games won't go anywhere and they'll always be heralded as the studio that laid the groundwork for an entire genre with their releases. It just gets so predictable seeing this same comment pop up time and time again. I hope we move past that sooner rather than later.

*Examples that come to mind elsewhere would be stuff like Rayman Legends and Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed which were both, arguably, better in certain aspects compared to their main inspirations. Thankfully no one felt the need to constantly remind everyone that "yeah but it's not quite Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart are they?"
Ok, so give me your arguments then of what makes this look better than any of the other clones that came out? I don't mind criticism of my opinion, but you offer literally nothing in discussion about the game, just complaining for complaint's sake.

This post is all hot air.

Read the reviews. He was right.

VN1X

Banned
Ok, so give me your arguments then of what makes this look better than any of the other clones that came out? I don't mind criticism of my opinion, but you offer literally nothing in discussion about the game, just complaining for complaint's sake.

This post is all hot air.
I'm not specifically talking about Steelrising in relation to your post and it's not something you should take personally either. It's a general statement with regards to people always repeating this exact same remark whenever one of these comes out (irrespective of quality).

Steelrising could be a 6 or might very well be a 9 (depending on who you ask) but I just hope we'll get to a point where this incessant need to go "yeah but it's missing that From Software magic" isn't necessary.

Pejo

I'm not specifically talking about Steelrising in relation to your post and it's not something you should take personally either. It's a general statement with regards to people always repeating this exact same remark whenever one of these comes out (irrespective of quality).

Steelrising could be a 6 or might very well be a 9 (depending on who you ask) but I just hope we'll get to a point where this incessant need to go "yeah but it's missing that From Software magic" isn't necessary.
People naturally compare similar things to one another. FROM games literally set the bar for this type of game, so of course people are going to compare other similar games to it. There is zero chance that this game wasn't inspired by FROM's souls games at some level, so if the devs themselves are looking at their games, why can't I?

For what it's worth, I agree with your sentiment that "clones" can be better, as in Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, but nothing in the trailer for this game made me feel anything of the sort. Particularly the gameplay trailer which made the combat (arguably the most important part) look kinda bad.

I just got burned by Thymesia, which I didn't particularly care for. Steel Rising looks better, but it's a Spiders game, I think I'll wait for a deep cut or a ps+ appearance.
While the quality of Spiders releases has improved quite a bit from their initial output, they just haven't really hit the mark yet.

ZoukGalaxy

Your character is fucking ugly and truly a deal breaker and animation is so lame ("Let's run like lightspeed at slow speed"), don't understand this analogy. A tribute by the void ?
IGN must be high.
Toking Mash Up GIF

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa
There's no way 3080 should be required for a game like this to run at 60 fps. WTF.

To be honest I call bull on this benchmark. I’m running the game 4K/DLSS Quality at high settings with raytracing enabled and getting around 70-90fps with a R7 3800X & 2080ti.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

To be honest I call bull on this benchmark. I’m running the game 4K/DLSS Quality at high settings with raytracing enabled and getting around 70-90fps with a R7 3800X & 2080ti.

That's encouraging. I think there is something wrong with ultra settings that makes the memory requirements skyrocket so many GPUs just run out and it tanks the frame rate. Running out of VRAM will easily do that. Happened a few times with the 3080 where it was at like half power but the frame rate was in the 20s or teens, with other games. Usually turning on DLSS fixes it as it renders at a lower res (the performance boost is more massive than one would expect because the VRAM is no longer being choked).

That's encouraging. I think there is something wrong with ultra settings that makes the memory requirements skyrocket so many GPUs just run out and it tanks the frame rate. Running out of VRAM will easily do that. Happened a few times with the 3080 where it was at like half power but the frame rate was in the 20s or teens, with other games. Usually turning on DLSS fixes it as it renders at a lower res (the performance boost is more massive than one would expect because the VRAM is no longer being choked).

Yeah the textures are massive VRAM hogs oddly enough, high used around 8GB and changing it to ultra instantly goes over the 11GB of the 2080ti - Indirect illumination is also best left on half to smooth things out as well as avoiding ultra settings in general. Ended up turning off raytracing as it’s relatively subtle and not really worth the frame cost

Dev1lXYZ

I finally got to play my copy of this yesterday. Impressions aren't good. The running animation I can ignore, but the combat is the absolute worst. First game I feel like I got burned from in a long time. I wanted to support the developers, but this game shouldn't have been released like this. It doesnt help that the first area in the Garden outside the mansion has a mid boss that forces you to farm mobs and level in order to progress. It was done a while lot better by Tecmo and From.

This game takes Spiders off the board in my book. Never again.

Last edited:
Your character is fucking ugly
This really can't be understated, there's like a gut response to it. She seriously puts me off eating. If they're going to use her in marketing to sell the game then at least she shouldn't do that.

I watched some gameplay and this looks potentially less aggressively bad than Mortal Shell or The Surge or something, but it doesn't exactly look good. I'd consider a mediocre Soulslike but not while I'm playing Stranger of Paradise

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just finished this (mostly over the weekend) and I really liked it. I myself am surprised that I liked it so much. The formula is souls through and through, but with really nice French revolution twist. The graphics and atmosphere were great and combat was perfect for me- with enough customization and options for everyone but not extremely hard that you feel game is not fair. Didnt face any bugs or jank, very polished.
Not too long also, which I appreciate these days. I reckon I would've spent around 12-15 hours.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think between From & Team Ninja we have the souls like genre covered.
Do something else

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Just finished this (mostly over the weekend) and I really liked it. I myself am surprised that I liked it so much. The formula is souls through and through, but with really nice French revolution twist. The graphics and atmosphere were great and combat was perfect for me- with enough customization and options for everyone but not extremely hard that you feel game is not fair. Didnt face any bugs or jank, very polished.
Not too long also, which I appreciate these days. I reckon I would've spent around 12-15 hours.
Wow 12-15 hours. Will have to give this a shot then. That’s a good length for me.

Hohenheim

Downloaded the trial version on PS5, and had hopes for this one. Giant let down for me. The movement and gameplay felt too janky and "off". And even the "performance mode" felt sluggish. Quality mode was unplayable.

Yet another example of how incredible hard it is to get that "From formula" right.
Only other series besides From's games that give me a similar feeling are those Nioh games. Wo Long demo felt good, and I have high hopes for Lies of P.
This one is a hard pass for me.

wipeout364

I really enjoyed the game. It’s pretty straightforward in its gameplay but kept me entertained for the 15 hours I put in.

As mentioned it’s a deal souls clone but very forgiving. I did not find it had any performance issues on Xbox series X.

What I really want to commend Spiders on is the really great story and writing. This game has an incredible main character and supporting cast. The setting is wonderful as is the art design. It’s not AAA but is very memorable.

I would not give it a must play recommendation but it’s a good time and if you can get it on sale I think it’s worth spending some time with Aegis.
Lcu3Uh5.jpg

Top Bottom