• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steer Clear Of Papa Johns New Pan Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

So last night we got two of the new Papa Johns Pan Pizzas. I got home with them and we could immediately tell the dough just under the toppings and sauce was undercooked and even raw in some places. I took it back and the guy asked if I had ever had Papa Johns Pan before which I hadn't and he said it was meant to be "chewy" in the middle. I showed him the raw dough and he said they would re-do it. We got home with the new pizza, it was somewhat better but still had undercooked dough in the middle.

Today, I go online and look up some reviews and sure enough, they all mention the dough being undercooked.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2016/10/10/lets-try-papa-johns-new-pan-pizza.html

The center of the pie was very doughy and the outside of the crust was all but blackened. You want a crispy outside with a chewy inside on a pan pizza, but this was a little extreme on both ends of that spectrum. This made me wonder whether the employees have quite figured out how to cook this product yet.

One even had a good picture:

http://www.brandeating.com/2016/10/review-papa-johns-pan-pizza.html

papa-johns-pan-pizza-04.JPG

While the toppings and sauce were quite nice, the crust itself was disappointing. It was crunchy but dry at the surface like toast. I'd guess that they don't brush it with much oil or butter before cooking. Either a reasonable sweep of olive oil or butter (or buttery spread more like) would have also helped in the taste department as it was pretty blah there. It probably didn't help that it was also undercooked and doughy just under the topping and sauce. It was more cooked through at the edges, where the airy, spongy dough was more defined but still very plain.

http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/wordpress/2016/12/07/review-papa-johns-pan-pizza/

I’mma be real with you – Papa John’s hand-tossed crust is not my favorite. It always seems a little undercooked to me. That said, their pan crust is a study in contradictions.

On the one hand, the outer crust was definitely crispy and somewhat buttery – I enjoyed those aspects of it much more than a regular Papa John’s crust. Also, the cheese goes all the way to the edge, so I didn’t feel like I was left with a half-cooked breadstick at the end of my slice of pizza. The crust under the toppings was chewy without being soggy – also good.

But then there was the flavor. Papa John’s says that the dough is made fresh and with only seven ingredients: flour, extra virgin olive oil, cold-filtered water, sugar, salt, yeast, and oil. Yet, there was an odd, artificial flavor that I couldn’t quite pin down. Given that none of the ingredients are actually artificial, the best I could come up with was the flavor of spoiled oil. If this was the case, then maybe I just got a bad pie?

I even found an article describing how the pizza is made and they describe it as having a doughy center:

http://www.businessinsider.com/papa-johns-reveals-how-pan-pizza-is-made-2016-10

The result is a pizza with a thick, doughy center, and an outer edge that is less crust and more of a caramelized crisp.

So I've had pan pizza before, but this is Papa Johns either A) trying to get their people to cook a pizza in a way they don't understand and it leaves it undercooked most of the time or B) Papa John trying to sell undercooked pizza.

It's quite possibly the worst pan pizza I've had.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
First Kid Rock and now Papa John.

All our conservative icons are failing us.

I tried going to a Papa John's once and a car rear-ended us while we were waiting to make a left turn into their parking lot. I think of it as the Universe's way of telling me not to eat bad pizza.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think I'm gonna be able to comment on this until I hear Peyton Manning's thoughts on the matter.

Glass Joe

I've always disliked Papa John's regular pizzas. But here I suspect your deep-dished pizza WAS undercooked and you had to deal with idiots. New formula, they don't know how to execute. Sorry bro!

x3sphere

Guess I'm in the minority, I tried it for the first time yesterday and liked it

It's bottom tier pizza though I agree, I'd rather go to some of the local joints here. I don't think Domino's is much better tbh

Didn't realize this was an overused thing or I wouldn't have used it.

It was a big enough problem that ModBot was programmed to randomly rename any PSA thread it came across for some time. It's hard for me to imagine any legitimate use for the PSA, but it was getting to the point where people honestly felt like prefacing almost anything with it was really important.

"PSA: Save ten cents on your purchase of $1,000 or more at Store X"

Kaladin

It was a big enough problem that ModBot was programmed to randomly rename any PSA thread it came across for some time. It's hard for me to imagine any legitimate use for the PSA, but it was getting to the point where people honestly felt like prefacing almost anything with it was really important.

"PSA: Save ten cents on your purchase of $1,000 or more at Store X"

Thanks, I had no idea of the other threads.

Media

I always get confused between papa Murphys and Papa John's and I thought for a second this would be a really hilarious thread.

That said, I hate papa John's, but I tend to dislike pizza in general.

Makonero

I always get confused between papa Murphys and Papa John's and I thought for a second this would be a really hilarious thread.

That said, I hate papa John's, but I tend to dislike pizza in general.

You have been reported to the local authorities. Time to run.

Just kidding but seriously, pizza comes in so many forms it's like saying "i don't like pasta" or "i don't like bread" at this point.

Media

You have been reported to the local authorities. Time to run.

Just kidding but seriously, pizza comes in so many forms it's like saying "i don't like pasta" or "i don't like bread" at this point.

I don't really like pasta or bread either :p

I think it's the heaviness of the carbs or somthing. I'm not one of those people that put away a lot of food and bread products fill me up super quick.

Damaniel

Banned
Steering clear is easy - I don't buy pizza from conservative blowhards that have zero respect for the well-being of their employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom