• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steer Clear Of Papa Johns New Pan Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

tariniel

I was so close to ordering Papa Johns last weekend because they had a 40% off coupon code, but then I saw a $4 delivery fee that wasn't the tip and noped right on out of there. I'm better off because pizza always makes me feel sick even when it's cooked all the way, never mind what undercooked would have done to me.

I stay away from Papa John's in general, mostly because of when he was bitching about paying for employees to have decent healthcare.

Chris R

Always get Papa John's well done, no matter what.

It's like Papa thinks keeping a pizza in an oven for 90 seconds less saves him money, but all it does is make his pizza taste like shit

MechaX

I had a Papa John's pan pizza recently, and I would say that this mirrors what happened to me. Basically, the shit was not good.

Too bad Papa John's is my only real option to delivery around my area since all the other major pizza places pulled out of my area.

Apdiddy

Papa Johns used to be good about 10 or 15 years ago and they cooked it all the way through.

Now it's terrible. Every time I walk in to Papa Johns they look stressed out and they hate working there.

KorrZ

Dominos Pan Pizza changed the game with Dominos.

Yep yep. Dominos Pan Pizza is a complete game changer and when they have those 50% off deals, it's top of the fast food pizza chain.

Papa Johns...I haven't had the Pan because there are none left in my city. They've tried to open franchises here a few times and each one has disappeared after a few months.

Bane

Hm, I've had it a few times and it's been quite good. The only thing I like from them in fact. Must be it's because I live right by the corporate office. KY gets good Papa John's alongside all the bigotry.

Dude himself is absolute shit though, yeah.

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere for ranking national chain pizza but, just for shits and giggles:

Papa Murphy's
Dominos
Little Ceasar's
Papa John's
Pizza Hut (I used to have them above PJ but last year they changed something and I got sick four times in a row so I can't eat them anymore)

Steejee

Pretty much 'Screw Papa Johns' at this point. Owner is a douche, pizza is meh, plenty of better local joints.

I'd like to see Detroit Style pizza spread more. Boston has Sicilian, which is pretty close and good enough, but that extra crisp on Detroit style that is similar to pan really adds to it. Made it myself before but haven't quite nailed the method.

Papa Johns is fucking garbage. Their sugar sauce, I mean pizza sauce, their toppings, that fucking horrid crust. The only reason it isn't at the bottom of pizza lists is because Pizza Hut still exists for some reason.

gaugebozo

This sounds like a papa John's version of Detroit style pizza:

IMG_0329-Optimized.jpg

It should have a lot of bread, but not be raw.
For reference, little caesers deep deep dish is Detroit style.
but shitty.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
While the toppings and sauce were quite nice, the crust itself was disappointing. It was crunchy but dry at the surface like toast. I'd guess that they don't brush it with much oil or butter before cooking. Either a reasonable sweep of olive oil or butter (or buttery spread more like) would have also helped in the taste department as it was pretty blah there. It probably didn't help that it was also undercooked and doughy just under the topping and sauce. It was more cooked through at the edges, where the airy, spongy dough was more defined but still very plain.

I had this last month and my experience with this was nearly identical except for I don't remember having an undercooked crust. But it was bland as hell and dry and crunchy. And then I figured since it's Papa John's they didn't grease up the pizza and/or pan all that much since part of their schtick is that they're the "lighter"/fresher alternative of the chains.

This sounds like a papa John's version of Detroit style pizza:

http://detroitstylepizza.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_0329-Optimized.jpg

It should have a lot of bread, but not be raw.
For reference, little caesers deep deep dish is Detroit style.
but shitty.

I'd say it was more like a Pizza Hut-style pan pizza clone, just like Domino's started doing a few years ago.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Can back up the OP's assertions about the pan pizza. Really disappointing. I didn't really expect much from Papa John's to begin with, but this fell short of even that low bar.

I should warn my roommate about this since he eats this shit, but he still owes his half of the electric and Internet bills so fuck him.

I had this a long time ago when they were testing it, and mine was fine.

I think Domino's has a better pan pizza, and it's $1 cheaper too, but Domino's didn't deliver to where I was living at the time.

Kyzer

Banned
Domino's tastes like acid, papa John's tastes like sugar. Little Caesars is surprisingly edible but not that good and pizza hut is actually good imo but it makes me sick lately so I order from this random little place nearby and it's the best

Peltz

I never understood how places like Dominos, Papa Johns and Pizza Hut stay in business.

Do suburban towns not have real pizza places?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
And that's why if you want trash pizza you get and HNR from Little Ceasar's. At least you know you're eating garbage and it's $5.

If you want decent pizza go to a local hole in the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom