• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steer Clear Of Papa Johns New Pan Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood how places like Dominos, Papa Johns and Pizza Hut stay in business.

Do suburban towns not have real pizza places?

It's a cheap quick "pizza" meal. Sure there's a much better pizza spot nearby that serves quality and good novelty toppings but if you only got 20 bucks and want a but of food it's fine. Nothing wrong with pedestrian food under the right conditions.

UrokeJoe

Little Caesar's > Dominos >>> Frozen Pizza from Grocey Story >>>>> Pizza Hut >>>>>>>>>>>>> Papa Johns

On a shit tier I agree. LC is without a doubt offering value and not pretending to offer a real pizza like the others. They are not ripping people off just selling shit pizza at at a fair price.

On a shit tier I agree. LC is without a doubt offering value and not pretending to offer a real pizza like the others. They are not ripping people off just selling shit pizza at at a fair price.

I've actually never had LC but I know i'll get dogpiled if Domino's was first.

Persona7

Banned
I never understood how places like Dominos, Papa Johns and Pizza Hut stay in business.

Do suburban towns not have real pizza places?

Surely you can see why a family would opt for a chain when you look at the prices. Two pizza's at a local shop would run over $40 dollars without any sides or drinks and limited toppings. A chain shop would run half that with two pizzas, sides and drinks.

Surely you can see why a family would opt for a chain when you look at the prices. Two pizza's at a local shop would run over $40 dollars without any sides or drinks and limited toppings. A chain shop would run half that with two pizzas, sides and drinks.

I don't know it usually turns into would you rather have a lot of bad cheap pizza, or would you rather have a lesser amount of really good pizza that is more money?

I don't know it usually turns into would you rather have a lot of bad cheap pizza, or would you rather have a lesser amount of really good pizza that is more money?
Some people like chain pizza. I like Domino's a lot. And it's not because I haven't had great non-chain pizza. I like many different kinds of pizza.

Ambient80

a note to the Internet: Locally owned restaurants are NOT always the better choice. I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but it's true.

a note to the Internet: Locally owned restaurants are NOT always the better choice. I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but it's true.

This is true. My GF and I haven't been able to find decent Chinese around us in the 6 months we've been living in our new house, so we still rely on going to PF Changs to get our fix.

nullset2

Ethan on suicide watch

maxresdefault.jpg

A lot of the local places here use the same suppliers, so they end up having very similar food. You can tell they're in that tier of having a pizza place because it seemed like a solid idea for their small business aspirations, as opposed to doing it because making great pizzas is a talent and passion they wanted to share.

But I like that stuff too. It's solid junk food.

Tagyhag

I liked it, I just didn't like how it was $10 for a medium size pizza.

I'm surprised at all the Papa hate in here though, as far as chains go it's the best pizza, especially compared to overseasoned trash like Domino's. Maybe my local place is just competent.

soco

that's definitely true. independent pizzas in this area are typically in the range of 25-40$ for a large, and even then "large" can sometimes mean 14" or 16" for those prices.

Also, in my rural hometown growing up, the independent pizza places were basically about the same level or worse than chains, so the chains often felt like a luxury. we're talking all ingredients from a can, including the sauce, and the cheese was generally terrible.

So I've had pan pizza before, but this is Papa Johns either A) trying to get their people to cook a pizza in a way they don't understand and it leaves it undercooked most of the time or B) Papa John trying to sell undercooked pizza.

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but at least at the two PJs I worked at, the cooking part is automated. You put it on the conveyor belt and it goes into the oven and comes out at the other side done. No adjusting temps, no watching the cook time. Every once in a while no one is paying attention when a pizza comes out and it winds up falling on the floor.

LProtag

Pizza chains are the worst.

Then again, I live in Connecticut, where a variety of styles of pizza (NYC style, New Haven apizza, Greek pan pizza, traditional Italian) are no more than half an hour away.

I feel bad for people who don't live in the Pizza Belt (50+% chance of getting an amazing pizza when you walk into any random pizza place).

HdrdvSr.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I remember when I ordered papa johns once. When I picked up a slice all of the tomato sauce, cheese and toppings slid off immediately and I was holding a wet piece of bread.

I still don't know how that happened.

kewlmyc

Used to love Papa Johns, then a new pizza place called Hotbox Pizza opened near my workplace. It opened my eyes. Papa Johns pizza kinda sucks now.

What's super weird is that the Dominos pan pizza is actually good as hell. Especially if you get mushrooms and extra cheese

Man, I'm pretty high actually

Peltz

I didn't realize it was cheaper than other pizza places. I never ate at one before.

Anyone from TX, specifically DFW area here? Where can I get some GOOD pizza? My family has sworn off pizza now because we are so sick of shitty pizza.

No Papa Johns
No Dominoes
No Pizza Hut
No Little Ceasers
No CiCis

None of that shit. Grimaldi's was okay but way too overpriced. We don't mind paying for a good pizza but Grimaldi's does not fit the bill for what they offer.

Instro

I haven't had that problem either times I had the new pan pizza. I like it better than their normal stuff frankly. Did take a pretty weird shit the day after I ate it last time though. Like a big soft serve poop. You're welcome.

It kind of depends. I have local places that match up pretty well in price to places like Papa Johns, but there are also places that are more expensive like you mentioned.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's been like this for ages actually. I don't remember if I ever had a fully cooked pizza from them. It might depend on the location, whoever is cooking it, etc. Who knows. All I know is that apparently the customer satisfaction from god knows where rated the chain high and I'm pretty baffled. Either people just settle for pizza like that or something else is going on. Mom and pop places are best for foods period compared to chains.

Some people would sooner die of starvation that admit that though. Sometimes the big chain places are the best places around, there are plenty of awful mom and pop pizza joints out there.

I like it fine, i also work there and eat the pizza fairly often, so maybe it's just conditioning

It's supposed to go through the oven 1.5 times so maybe they just put it in through one pass

Kas

Pizza chains are the worst.

Then again, I live in Connecticut, where a variety of styles of pizza (NYC style, New Haven apizza, Greek pan pizza, traditional Italian) are no more than half an hour away.

I feel bad for people who don't live in the Pizza Belt (50+% chance of getting an amazing pizza when you walk into any random pizza place).

HdrdvSr.jpg
I lived in CT for 15 years, and let me tell you, you can't find a good pizza in NH. Like, at all.

Fuck, I still remember going to Pepes, and the line was ridiculous, but we waited and it was amazing.

Or you could go to Illianos. Their buffalo chicken pizza is great. Or was. I haven't been in about 4 years.

opoth

Banned
Haven't bought Papa John's since he slammed Obamacare a few years ago. Nice to know I'm not missing anything. Lots of great local pizza joints around here makes it easier to say no.

Cyros

Anyone from TX, specifically DFW area here? Where can I get some GOOD pizza? My family has sworn off pizza now because we are so sick of shitty pizza.

No Papa Johns
No Dominoes
No Pizza Hut
No Little Ceasers
No CiCis

None of that shit. Grimaldi's was okay but way too overpriced. We don't mind paying for a good pizza but Grimaldi's does not fit the bill for what they offer.

I've liked offerings from ZaLat Pizza. They have one in Plano as well as that Henderson/Fitzugh area.

Greenville Pizza Company on Greenville. Both of those are open real late.

Eno's Pizza in the Bishop Arts District.

Cane Rosso seems to be well received and there are a few around town. (Deep Ellum, Carrollton).

Some more ideas.

Lev

Yep. I had this problem with their pan pizza last December and was annoyed that I had to reheat my pizza just to eat it. How can they charge for more when even Little Caeser's hardly have messed up pizza like this for me. :/

SoundLad

Papa John's is some of the lowest tier pizza known to man, same as Pizza Hut.

My personal pizza tier list:

Pat's Pizza (Irish pizza restaurant) > Koti Pizza (Finnish pizza chain) >>> Dominos >>>> the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom