• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steppenwolf decimates the Amazons in new black & white footage

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Zack Snyder has taken to Vero to share some new footage from his upcoming director's cut of Justice League, and it teases an alternate take on the Battle of Themyscira.

We saw Steppenwolf make his way to Wonder Woman's homeland to retrieve one of the Mother Boxes in the theatrical cut, but it looks like this version of the sequence will play out a little differently - and quite a bit more brutally - as the redesigned villain lays waste to a legion of Amazons while being peppered with arrows.

Zack Snyder's Justice League is set to premiere on HBO Max on March 18, with a new trailer scheduled for this Sunday.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I'm not much of a DCCU guy, but I'm interested in checking this out.
The R-rating, the extended cuts, could be an improvement to the storytelling or could end up being a wonderful mess. Either way, I'm in.
Kind of goofy looking when he struggles to toss some horses.
He doesn't look like he struggles at all though.

It would look weird if there was zero momentum at all.

Blond

Banned
That's a lot of work going in to something that's guaranteed to suck
This is what I’ve been saying...I mean I don’t want it to suck but let’s be real if Snyder doesn’t at least make this is a 7/10 film the whole “release the Snyder cut” shit since 2016 has officially lost all merit.

Kenpachii

Yea this looks bad, should have made him super fast or something and dangerous that can camuflage itself. now he just gets brought to the slaughter with arrows.

HoodWinked

The scene looks a little rough but that's just the DC visuals jank. But I think the tone shift is spot on. This shows Generic Wolf man as someone that would actually be formidable against the entire justice league.

Remember how absolutely clownish this was in the original release, it was a fucking Benny Hill chase where they try to escape with the MacGuffin box.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

No Way Omg GIF by Laff

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS !

sobaka770

Banned
Joss Whedon at least tried to polish this turd a bit. His new scenes were the only ones watchable in Justice League. I guess his talent is cancelled though...

Zack Snyder following is bizarre and I have 0 hopes for any of this being good. I'm sure HBO is banking on some hate-watching here.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
that shot of superman omg.

im hoping Junkie XL's soundtrack is amazing. Danny Elfman phoned it in unfortunately.

Javthusiast

Banned
Joss Whedon at least tried to polish this turd a bit. His new scenes were the only ones watchable in Justice League. I guess his talent is cancelled though...

Zack Snyder following is bizarre and I have 0 hopes for any of this being good. I'm sure HBO is banking on some hate-watching here.

Joss Whedons scenes are all trash. Visually especially, with his shitty attempt and brightening it up.

John Day

Joss Whedons scenes are all trash. Visually especially, with his shitty attempt and brightening it up.
I agree. Whedon tried to Marvel-it-up, but you can’t just toss up some filters and drop in jokes. It didn’t mix well with the tone the movie was going for.

i’m lukewarm to this cut, but i have to admit, that Superman tease looked cool as hell.

sobaka770

Banned
They looked bad cause he had no time to do a proper movie, only reshoots and Cavill's beard CGI is certainly not director's fault. The studio screwed up by giving Snyder a third movie to finish his "vision" after the trashfire that were MoS and BvS. I know his kid died but I don't think it was the only reason why Whedon of all people got involved and the two movies got cut into a single 2-hour outing.
Snyder wishes he could write a single line of dialogue better than Whedon and it shows. This thing is going to be hilarious in all the right ways, mark my words.

SJRB

Gold Member
They looked bad cause he had no time to do a proper movie, only reshoots and Cavill's beard CGI is certainly not director's fault. The studio screwed up by giving Snyder a third movie to finish his "vision" after the trashfire that were MoS and BvS. I know his kid died but I don't think it was the only reason why Whedon of all people got involved and the two movies got cut into a single 2-hour outing.
Snyder wishes he could write a single line of dialogue better than Whedon and it shows. This thing is going to be hilarious in all the right ways, mark my words.
You're delusional if you think this is going to be worse than Whedon's edit of Justice League. That movie is cataclysm-tier terrible.

sobaka770

Banned
You're delusional if you think this is going to be worse than Whedon's edit of Justice League. That movie is cataclysm-tier terrible.
Yes cause what JL needs is Steppenwolf killing more amazons with more gore and angry faces and ridiculous edgelord of a billion blades redesign not Supes acting like a Superman for a change and carrying a house full of people. Can't wait for that to be finally excised to make a better movie.
I'm saying that if you give Whedon a 4 hour cut and Snyder a 4 hour cut, you're pitting a man who gave us Buffy, Firefly and Avengers vs a man who gave us Sucker Punch and BvS. Snyder should be a visual effects supervisor at best, only thing he's good at - not writing dialogue, stories and directing the whole thing.

Last edited:

OneBigPuss

Yes cause what JL needs is Steppenwolf killing more amazons with more gore and angry faces and ridiculous edgelord of a billion blades redesign not Supes acting like a Superman for a change and carrying a house full of people. Can't wait for that to be finally excised to make a better movie.
I'm saying that if you give Whedon a 4 hour cut and Snyder a 4 hour cut, you're pitting a man who gave us Buffy, Firefly and Avengers vs a man who gave us Sucker Punch and BvS. Snyder should be a visual effects supervisor at best, only thing he's good at - not writing dialogue, stories and directing the whole thing.
This is you
cover3.jpg

John Day

Au contraire, I'm sure we'll have fun whether it's a surprise masterpiece or a hot piece of garbage - I hope for some good RLM on this at least. Fun guaranteed!
yeah, i mean, sometimes people confuse “i don’t trust this guy making this movie” with “OMG DON’T WATCH IT!!!”

I get what you mean 🤣

GamingKaiju

Well Whedon didn’t really set the bar that high with JL so I’m kinda interested in seeing Synders vision.

I still think animated DCU is the best cinematic universe out there.

Mahadev

I hope they dedicate at least one episode on pissed off Superman, that shit looks awesome. Zach Snyder has created some huge turds but you gotta give it to the man, his movies are rarely boring.

At the very least it'll be nice to get a new superhero movie with some gravitas. You really don't get that from the Marvel and DC movies outside of the ones by the Russos.

I do wonder if 4 hours will end up being way too much though. Like that's a pretty serious run-time for any movie and I remember years back Snyder likened his JL to Seven Samurai, but then Snyder doing Seven Samurai is like 90s Image tackling a similar subject (BvS was already like if Jim Lee or McFarlane had done Dark Knight Returns). Still really keen to check this out though. If the length is overkill I'm sure a fancut will eventually solve that.

No matter what though, a good chunk of people are going to end up upset with his depictions, regardless of how the movie turns out.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
At the very least it'll be nice to get a new superhero movie with some gravitas. You really don't get that from the Marvel and DC movies outside of the ones by the Russos.

I do wonder if 4 hours will end up being way too much though. Like that's a pretty serious run-time for any movie and I remember years back Snyder likened his JL to Seven Samurai, but then Snyder doing Seven Samurai is like 90s Image tackling a similar subject (BvS was already like if Jim Lee or McFarlane had done Dark Knight Returns). Still really keen to check this out though. If the length is overkill I'm sure a fancut will eventually solve that.

No matter what though, a good chunk of people are going to end up upset with his depictions, regardless of how the movie turns out.

Regardless... His haters will hate it anyway. No matter if it turns out to be wildly popular (I hope it does... I'd be down for more Snyderverse).

Dacon

Banned
I gotta say, I laughed when I saw original Steppenwolf's design, but it actually looks way better in motion than that shite in the original cut.

I'm willing to give this a shot.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
At best this cut is going to elevate the film to man of steel levels. Which ain’t a bad thing.
It’s not the best superman film. But it’s a good film. Yeah I said it.
Watch it again. It holds up and it’s better in hindsight
So I was wrong about it being rubbish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom