• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Downes aka Master Chief's favorite Halo game is Halo 4! And 343 tried to replace him and Jen Taylor (Yikes)

Vaelka

As much as I think Halo 3 should've been the ending to the franchise ( prequels would still be okay ), the ending to Halo 4 was pretty incredible.
I hate what they did with the lore and how dragged out it feels, but the emotional payoff between Chief and Cortana was amazing and did make me cry.

Yeah, I’ve never really understood why Microsoft doesn’t run their IP as franchises. Make their studios compete for the right to develop new entries in their best IP. 343 messed up and should have had to earn the right to make another Halo game via a solid new IP or a well reviewed game in a lower tier existing IP.

The best decision they made was to allow Playground to have a chance with Fable. Those guys earned it via solid game output and consistent quality. Every studio should also be simultaneously be working on a new IP alongside existing. Microsoft are clueless and could care to take a look at how Sony runs things.

What exactly makes you think Playground has nothing to prove where making a great Fable RPG is concerned? Don't get the wrong idea thinking that just because they're incredible with Forza Horizon that the book is completely written on how Fable will turn out, though I'm hopeful and believe the game will be in great hands. An arcade car racing game isn't the same thing as a fantasy action RPG. Two very different classes of gaming experience and expertise. I laugh when people try to dismiss what 343i has already done, and are proving right now with Halo Infinite. The flights were a wakeup call to people who really didn't think 343 knew what the fuck they were doing. It was one of the best multiplayer experiences I've tried in many years, and many other people shared exactly that same impression. Halo gameplay has never felt better, and few other FPS feel as good. So just up and assuming, with no basis in fact, that insert random studio that has games with graphics I like, will automatically make a better Halo game than 343 industries is the very epitome of a joke.

Halo Infinite, based on following this game, actually reading up on it extensively because I'm really anticipating its release rather than just trying to troll, is looking about as strong and as impressive as any game has ever looked prior to release. The extensive attention to detail, ambition and careful design is evident in the footage and the blogs they've posted. I wonder how disappointed folks are going to be when they finally realize that 343i didn't just sit around for nearly six years doing jack shit, and actually went and designed and executed on a truly incredible videogame that will silence all their doubters? Should be fun.

conan obrien GIF

As much as I think Halo 3 should've been the ending to the franchise ( prequels would still be okay ), the ending to Halo 4 was pretty incredible.
I hate what they did with the lore and how dragged out it feels, but the emotional payoff between Chief and Cortana was amazing and did make me cry.

Still the best ending in the franchise for me.

Using the word 'yikes' unironically should be a banable offense.

lol I used it to express my shock at 343 having the balls to consider such a thing when they already get so much shit from people as is. Much of it is totally unfair, but the point stands. All that matters, though, is that they made the right decision in the end, and the game is really shaping up quite well. That extra year was massive.

Reading the latest blog, even the big improvements to the UI and much of the map interface seemingly weren't there as of September 2020. One year did so much for the game. In the future I guess they need to be a lot more upfront about when they simply require more time, this way such a fiasco never transpires again. That's on 343 leadership, but there can be no questioning, I think, as to the quality of the work that seems to have been done. The game is looking pretty damn excellent, and I know now just how well it feels to play too.

Unk Adams

Banned
Using the word 'yikes' unironically should be a banable offense.
I agree.
Tried to play the original Halo games when they released the Collection and man, the games are generic. Only a fanboy would prefer the original games. It's a good thing Halo 4 is on PC. That game was actually fun and with better graphics and gameplay.

Bad opinions like this should also result in an instant banning.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last time, we left off having finished talking about Halo 3. That means we're stepping into the 343 Industries era of Halo now, and that, in turn, also means that things get a little messy.

Halo 4 and 5 have both drawn their fair share of criticism over the years for their narrative deficiencies and disappointments, but even so, given how momentous the stories they do tell are, they're obviously going to have a big impact on what unfolds in the upcoming Halo Infinite. So here, we're going to continue our Halo recap and go over the full story of Halo 4.

Top Bottom