• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

hollams

Gold Member
I am down 2.2% today mostly due to NVDA and MSFT, those two stocks have big swings about every week. I'm planning on holding them long term so not a big deal but just a bit uneasy when you see big losses for a day.

GHG

Gold Member
Next week we will have a lot more to worry about than the covid variant.

The debt ceiling is about to reenter the chat.

Fools idol

Banned
if you have some lockdown / vaccine friendly stocks in your folio like pfizer, cloudflare, shopify and what not you will balance out losses from your other stocks.

This game is long, never forget that. All you needed to do during the covid crash was.. absolutely nothing. If you fell asleep in 2019 and woke up today you would never had noticed the crash at all, nearly everything is up massively since.

GHG

Gold Member
if you have some lockdown / vaccine friendly stocks in your folio like pfizer, cloudflare, shopify and what not you will balance out losses from your other stocks.

This game is long, never forget that. All you needed to do during the covid crash was.. absolutely nothing. If you fell asleep in 2019 and woke up today you would never had noticed the crash at all, nearly everything is up massively since.

The situation now is very different to the one that existed at the start of 2020.

A Covid resurgence isn't the only threat this current market faces. In fact I'd go as far as to say it's should be the least of people's concerns as far as the market goes. If you want to take a long term perspective on the market then there's not much you should be buying at these levels.

If you're looking for trades on a shorter time frame then rock on, but the insane valuations we are currently seeing as result of the amount of money that has been created out of thin air over the last couple of years won't last forever.

Ellery

MRNA up another 10% on top of the 20% on Friday.

Yup great to see. Really happy I got into vaccine stocks. At first I thought I was too late, but the amount of stupid anti vaxxer we have in this world basically make sure that I make profit on them spreading it even further and eventually vaccine mandates will come and then payday again !

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

IpDAgCi.gif

There will be a few more scares related to variants in the next few years. The media will always sell fear for clicks and the market will tank on negative sentiment. During those days, a good bet will be to buy the dip since viruses usually mutate in such a way that the most transmisible variants do the least damage to the hosts.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Are you shorting the markets?

At this point I'm considering doing just that as well. The bounces are not being sustained and there are a lot of upcoming headwinds.

Right now, other than my short puts I'm 80% cash, which is crazy to think.

godhandiscen

I had a positive day mainly thanks to my ETH, APPL and TSLA strong positions which make over 50% of my portfolio. I should probably accumulate on Cloudflare, but i already bought not long ago at the current price point.

MastaKiiLA

Anyone have portfolio software that they can recommend? I'm looking for something cheap with at least the same functionality as late 00s Google Finance. I want a portfolio that can track both stocks and crypto (forex and mutual funds aren't mandatory). I'm currently using Yahoo, and their interface is easy to use, but pretty ugly. And while they support securities and crypto, they don't have the granularity when tracking transactions that I get with something like CoinMarketCap. I could excuse that if they didn't bury analytics behind a paywall.

So I'm assuming that this is a pretty tough ask, but I'm hoping that with the collective experience of this thread, someone would've stumbled upon a real gem of an app. After all, Google Finance was amazing, and it was completely free. Now it's a fucking dumpster fire.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

I use personalcapital.com.
I use them. Wish they'd connect to my crypto exchange accounts, because manually updating totals after each transaction isn't convenient. Especially when I can't track fees as well. I like it for being able to track my net worth though.

I mentioned it already, but Google Finance was really good. It had so much granularity that I actually used my records there to correct an IRS audit. I haven't found anything that can replace it, even after all this time. Anything that good is over $100 a year, and is a web app. If I have to pay, I'd rather it be a desktop app. Using TD Ameritrade's ToS desktop app is like night and day compared to the web-based trading apps.

Anyway, that's my whinge for the day.

godhandiscen

I use them. Wish they'd connect to my crypto exchange accounts, because manually updating totals after each transaction isn't convenient. Especially when I can't track fees as well. I like it for being able to track my net worth though.

I mentioned it already, but Google Finance was really good. It had so much granularity that I actually used my records there to correct an IRS audit. I haven't found anything that can replace it, even after all this time. Anything that good is over $100 a year, and is a web app. If I have to pay, I'd rather it be a desktop app. Using TD Ameritrade's ToS desktop app is like night and day compared to the web-based trading apps.

Anyway, that's my whinge for the day.
I'll give Google finance a try.

NET! FUCK!!!!!!

YK3I6oX_d.webp

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Told you guys last week. If you're buying anything now, short time frames.

If not then stay away until the picture going forwards is better understood, both from an economic standpoint and from the perspective of omicron. Don't FOMO in to anything, traps are being set. The stock market will always give you more opportunities if you're looking to buy and hold.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

Told you guys last week. If you're buying anything now, short time frames.

If not then stay away until the picture going forwards is better understood, both from an economic standpoint and from the perspective of omicron. Don't FOMO in to anything, traps are being set. The stock market will always give you more opportunities if you're looking to buy and hold.
I was expecting a Jan/Feb drop. Not this shit. Regardless, due to observed volatility, my leaps haven't been hit that hard.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
I was expecting a Jan/Feb drop. Not this shit. Regardless, due to observed volatility, my leaps haven't been hit that hard.

I still think the most likely scenario is that any significant drop won't come until the new year but at the same time I'm not expecting SPY to hit new all time highs again this year. The market is looking very weak at the moment and a lot of stocks are being destroyed in the background while the likes of Apple are propping the market up, making it seem as if things aren't as bad as they actually are.

This is the data from Monday, what you need to pay attention to is the ratio of 52 week highs vs the 52 week lows:

LWVOwSA.jpg

Anything that's not one of the top holdings in SPY/QQQ is quietly getting decimated.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

hmm cloudflare is mimicking this random chart on Fibonacci retracement, 107 was bottom, 220 top so 163 is the mid point.

pZB6Qxx.png

Last edited:

zeorhymer

hmm cloudflare is mimicking this random chart on Fibonacci retracement, 107 was bottom, 220 top so 163 is the mid point.

pZB6Qxx.png
Looks similar. Have to wait for the 2nd dip to see where the floor is. It might turn into a V.

Ellery

BABA...
Jesus.

China... why you gotta be like this?

Any news on this or is BABA sliding down with big parts of the market ?

Edit: Does this have anything to do with the recent Evergrande news?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Any news on this or is BABA sliding down with big parts of the market ?

Edit: Does this have anything to do with the recent Evergrande news?

Heightened chances that it could be delisted from the US market along with all other Chinese stocks.

godhandiscen

I don't know what to buy. I am supposed to save money to buy the options of the company I just left, but this dip is so good. I got a bit more Cloudflare and some Unity. Yesterday I got some Atlassian.

I want to grab more MSFT under $320 but I have a weird feeling we'll see it under $310 again here soonish.

All I know is that whatever I decide to do will be the wrong choice.

Dynasty8

Having bought a large amount of the ARK ETFs (5 different ones) in late January, I am down significantly. I feel depressed since this was my introduction to stocks and this was considered a good long term option...but fuck, almost one year and I am down like $25k from this. I am contemplating what to do now with these... hold until I break even (or profit .....LOL :messenger_crying:) or just take my losses and sell to reinvest into safer alternatives like SPY.

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG

Ellery

Having bought a large amount of the ARK ETFs (5 different ones) in late January, I am down significantly. I feel depressed since this was my introduction to stocks and this was considered a good long term option...but fuck, almost one year and I am down like $25k from this. I am contemplating what to do now with these... hold until I break even (or profit .....LOL :messenger_crying:) or just take my losses and sell to reinvest into safer alternatives like SPY.

Sorry to hear that mate. It is a very weird market and for growth stocks like this there is still the possibility of 10x, but also to lose 90% of it.

I was too young to invest during the dotcom bubble and I wonder how things felt back then compared to tech now.

But alas my more conservative stocks are also all down pretty significantly besides Pfizer.

This week has not been good for my longterm portfolio

Fools idol

Banned

I'm sorry, truly. However, I was there once - it is hard but you have to hold through the pain. I am sure in 5 years time they will be doing just fine

godhandiscen

I am still playing with house money this year, but this past week has been a humbling experience.

3efwu7.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom