• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I think tesla is going to test the upper residtance trend line ($1k or so) before we get a significant pullback. Many shorts that followed michael scammer burry are still trapped and marketing like crazy to get the price down, they will give up soon and squeeze us up.
I laughed at “Michael Scammer Burry”. I like the guy. I just feel that he’s fallen for the social media trap. He is clearly addicted to the attention and that is clouding his judgement. The worst was when he claimed being bearish on Bitcoin without adopting a position.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I laughed at “Michael Scammer Burry”. I like the guy. I just feel that he’s fallen for the social media trap. He is clearly addicted to the attention and that is clouding his judgement. The worst was when he claimed being bearish on Bitcoin without adopting a position.
guy is so far gone off the deep end, no idea what happenned. His twitter feed devolved into some serious antivax / conspiracy / tin foil hat shit in the past year or so, guy totally lost his shit.

godhandiscen

I am glad I shaved my position with AMZN. They aren’t doing anything for a bit. I bet it will only pick up after the holiday earnings and they demonstrate the inflation boost on common goods.

Goalus

I am glad I shaved my position with AMZN. They aren’t doing anything for a bit. I bet it will only pick up after the holiday earnings and they demonstrate the inflation boost on common goods.
I mean... if Bezos and his ex-wife keep on selling shares like there's no tomorrow, the price will not break out of the current trading range any time soon. On the plus side, the company will thereby slowly "grow" into its valuation. When the PE ratio falls below 30, there WILL be a reaction.

godhandiscen

I mean... if Bezos and his ex-wife keep on selling shares like there's no tomorrow, the price will not break out of the current trading range any time soon. On the plus side, the company will thereby slowly "grow" into its valuation. When the PE ratio falls below 30, there WILL be a reaction.
I wasn't aware of that happening. Is that what is happening right now?

I see some articles from a while ago, but nothing recent. You must be right, but I wonder how to get this information. I checked Whale wisdom, and the last 13G he filed was in 2020.

It is here. It seems he is selling a lot of them like you said. He has sold ~3 million shares in a year, while institutions buy about ~2 million shares in a quarter. No wonder, thank you for highlighting this.

Last edited:

Goalus

I wasn't aware of that happening. Is that what is happening right now?

I see some articles from a while ago, but nothing recent. You must be right, but I wonder how to get this information. I checked Whale wisdom, and the last 13G he filed was in 2020.

It is here. It seems he is selling a lot of them like you said. He has sold ~3 million shares in a year, while institutions buy about ~2 million shares in a quarter. No wonder, thank you for highlighting this.

To be honest I haven't checked recently, but as far as I understand he needs to fund his rocket company and usually sells large amounts right after earnings reports. That's part of the reason why the price has been stagnating, even when the numbers delivered.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bought Docebo a week ago. Made a quick $1400 (200 shares x $7). Im out. Should had been more as my share order got partially filled when I bought it, then I cancel the remaining partial order. Should had been $2100.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good stuff for all you Tesla bums! I'd never have balls to buy a stock at $500+ US, where there's always articles about Tesla being way overvalued and hyped up.

But for you guys who made some cash. Good shit! Ka-ching!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Made money twice on AMC. Bothe buying around $35 and dumping between $42-45. It's at $36 again. If it drops a couple more $, I'm diving in a third time.

Intel at $48. I'm in if it keeps dropping to $45.

Last edited:
I have a couple $150 Jan AAPL calls I bought like a month ago. I'm up 20-30% now. Not sure if I should sell before earnings? I know IV crush is a thing post earnings but would that affect my calls since they don't expire until the end of Jan?

GHG

Gold Member
I have a couple $150 Jan AAPL calls I bought like a month ago. I'm up 20-30% now. Not sure if I should sell before earnings? I know IV crush is a thing post earnings but would that affect my calls since they don't expire until the end of Jan?

What was the IV when you bought them? That's what you need to keep track of so that you can see what impact (if any) the upcoming earnings has had on their value.

GHG

Gold Member
crazepharmacist crazepharmacist just had a quick check and the elevated IV seems to be confined to the nearest dated expiration cycles in the next couple of weeks:

pm9m3K9.jpg

0IS7mBc.jpg

nt4W8xx.jpg

tPghxKi.jpg

jLMnejn.jpg

37.7% for this week vs 23% for the January monthlies. From Nov 19th onwards the IV seems to normalise between 22.5 and 23%.

But really it's something you need to note down when executing your options order because IV changes on a day to day basis based on the conditions of the market at the time you make your transaction. General rule for IV is to buy when it's low and sell when it's high.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

TSLA gains are offsetting my loss in the NET correction. I bought more NET.

Fools idol

Banned
I used some of the profits in tesla and cloudflare to buy virgin galactic at the low of 17.9 ish today. A risky stock for long term however amazing for swing trading / bounces. I reckon I will net a good 10-20% gain in a few weeks as long as nothing catastrophic happens in the overall market. It really feels like capitulation on this one at this level.

Fools idol

Banned
Twilio has just got destroyed after what I can only describe as a fantastic earnings.

I will almost certainly be buying shares once the dust settles. It's no Cloudflare but it is a good company for the long haul. I was in from $45 all the way up to $250 and regretted selling so if we get that 250-300 range again I will be buying both fists and never selling.

zeorhymer

Twilio has just got destroyed after what I can only describe as a fantastic earnings.

I will almost certainly be buying shares once the dust settles. It's no Cloudflare but it is a good company for the long haul. I was in from $45 all the way up to $250 and regretted selling so if we get that 250-300 range again I will be buying both fists and never selling.
Holy cow...they just took a plunge of 100 points. What is going on with them?

Edit: I see now. They lowered the guidance. Probably spooked everyone, but it's still strange that a lot of institutions still bought into it.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Holy cow...they just took a plunge of 100 points. What is going on with them?

Edit: I see now. They lowered the guidance. Probably spooked everyone, but it's still strange that a lot of institutions still bought into it.
I suspect that wallst was expecting a profit this quarter. The CEO mentioned on previous earnings calls that they would turn a profit in 2021, give or take, so the stock selling off seems to reflect that disappointment.

I personally think they should not worry about profits until that monster revenue growth shows signs of slowing down. Right now things look rosy long term for them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Solid start to the trading week Back to ATH. Took months to get back. My ATH was in Aug. And I think maybe in June too. I forget. Clawed back.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AABB is on fire lately. AABB Exchange coming soon
I wouldnt mind taking a dip on risky shit, but a couple years ago my RRSP and TFSA accounts changed policy and dont allow me to buy OTC stocks. I tried years back. I'm positive I bought some 10 year ago. But maybe that was in my old non-registered account.

Last edited:
Is there any real reason to believe GME will stay over $200 this time? I'm having trouble finding a reason not to just keep trading this as it goes to $220 and then falls to $170 rinse and repeat every time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is there any real reason to believe GME will stay over $200 this time? I'm having trouble finding a reason not to just keep trading this as it goes to $220 and then falls to $170 rinse and repeat every time.
AMC at $40-ish and GME at $200-ish have had amazing lasting appeal all year. I keep thinking one of these days the meme ride is over and they drop to $10.

I've been riding AMC a third time now (bought last week) as I noticed it rides a $35 to $45, back down to $35 band since the summer. If it creeps back to $40+, I'm out.

I've done similar to Blackberry. I get in at $13 CDN, hope it rides to $17-20 on a crazy meme week and dump it. Made money twice and hoping a third time back in at $13.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Intel bottomed at $48 during the past week of dumpsville. Almost back to $50. Might pull the trigger tomorrow as a long term play, or a flip if it spikes back to $60 as a 20% gainer in the next month or two.

This has been a dead stock for 4 years. It was in the high $40s in Q4 2017.

GHG

Gold Member
With Paypal bailing on Pinterest, PINS is now down to $44. Worth a dip? Or stay away? I'm tempted at $40.

PayPal is the better buy at these levels.

I struggle to see where pintrest go in the future unless they overhaul/evolve their platform. So until that happens I'd stay away.

Wait until after earnings though to enter a position on either if you're going to. This earnings season in particular has been unforgiving.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

PayPal is the better buy at these levels.

I struggle to see where pintrest go in the future unless they overhaul/evolve their platform. So until that happens I'd stay away.

Wait until after earnings though to enter a position on either if you're going to. This earnings season in particular has been unforgiving.
Oh my. Paypal has been in a decline. Not sure if it'll stop at the 225 resistance marker.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Other stocks I might get back into are Grocery Outlet and Utz Chips.

Made good money twice on GO, and I missed out on UTZ barely making anything and then that fucking stock zoomed to $30.

But both cratered this year where both are at or below their IPO prices from a year or two ago. GO at $21 and UTZ at $16.

If GO can rebound to $30 and UTZ to low $20s I'm out.

My short term radar is:

- hope AMC goes up a bit more and dump
- Look into Intel, GO and UTZ

Top Bottom