• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Fools idol

Banned
Fastly earnings today lads, and Cloudflare bae tomorrow... what we playing?

I've still got a significant chunk of my net worth in Cloudflare, contemplating taking a little more out just to see what is reported. I suspect if they miss we are in for some short term pain..

GHG

Gold Member
Fastly earnings today lads, and Cloudflare bae tomorrow... what we playing?

I've still got a significant chunk of my net worth in Cloudflare, contemplating taking a little more out just to see what is reported. I suspect if they miss we are in for some short term pain..

Anyone in cloudflare right now should be taking profits before earnings IMO.

Because I'm not in it I'll be watching closely and treating post earnings as an entry opportunity.

GHG

Gold Member
We still doing technical analysis here? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Laugh all you want but it works more times than it doesn't for short term profits.

Oversold bounces are one of the most common things with stocks. If a stock that you believe in and is a long term fixture in your portfolio came back down to (or just below) your original entry price what are your going to do? Unless there is a big problem that changes people's thesis, most people buy more.

That's all a support level is, a small price range where a large number of people have previously bought.

The key thing to consider is that this mostly works on good companies and especially blue chip companies where institutions own most of the float. Meme stocks do whatever the fuck they want so don't waste your time applying it to those.

Fools idol

Banned
We still doing technical analysis here? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
the market moves on big money and big money uses algorithmic trading, which is technical's driven for the most part.

At least in the short term. It hasn't failed me yet, stop losses for critical events.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AMC up 10%. Dumped it. Made 20% on AMC in 2 weeks! Third time riding the $35-$40+ band.

Just bought Intel as a long term play..... or a short term flip if it gets lucky and goes to $60 fast.

All time high.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Russel 2000 has been doing way better than the other indices as of recent, today over 2% gain.

5XwjARx.png

GHG

Gold Member
Russel 2000 has been doing way better than the other indices as of recent, today over 2% gain.

5XwjARx.png

It's finally broken out of a 9 month holding pattern.

With the announcement that interest rates will stay low risk-on trading/investment is back on the menu.

Needs to sustain the breakout over the next couple of weeks though to confirm we are going in that direction.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Anyone in cloudflare right now should be taking profits before earnings IMO.

Because I'm not in it I'll be watching closely and treating post earnings as an entry opportunity.
Cloudflare has a few more product announcements coming in the short term that will increase their total addressable market. I guess they slowed them down since they realized the correlation with the stock price. There will definitely be a dip soon, but it will recover.

Something to pay attention for in earnings is their customer acquisition metrics. They have no considerable marketing going on right now IIRC, it's just industry buzz.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
Looks like lots of us are making money lately. Good shit.
It's been a crazy year for me. I had 500 shares of DDS that I bought at 37 last year. I couldn't sell when the stock got to 120 at the end of January since I was on the blackout list and eventually sold at 85 in May for a nice profit. Who knew the stock would soar to 296 this week, the highest ever. Also in January I went crazy with the meme stocks and lost 20K in GME and had my first panic attack in the process. Also one of the reasons I sold DDS a bit early since I desperately wanted a win. I had some other meme stocks that decreased my balance as well so May was a low point for me. Luckily, since then my balance has steadily climbing and for the month of October I'm up over 13K thanks to NVDA and MSFT. It's been a bumpy ride, but I've learned a lot in the process.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's been a crazy year for me. I had 500 shares of DDS that I bought at 37 last year. I couldn't sell when the stock got to 120 at the end of January since I was on the blackout list and eventually sold at 85 in May for a nice profit. Who knew the stock would soar to 296 this week, the highest ever. Also in January I went crazy with the meme stocks and lost 20K in GME and had my first panic attack in the process. Also one of the reasons I sold DDS a bit early since I desperately wanted a win. I had some other meme stocks that decreased my balance as well so May was a low point for me. Luckily, since then my balance has steadily climbing and for the month of October I'm up over 13K thanks to NVDA and MSFT. It's been a bumpy ride, but I've learned a lot in the process.
What a ride! Wow. Dillards. I remember this stock way back being one of the big clothing companies getting nailed like many when it was $10 10 years ago as if it was going to go bankrupt.

One of these days, I'm hoping to get lucky with a stock that does a 10-bagger. But I always sell too soon.

When Covid bombed everyone in March 2020, my portfolio was down about 35%. One stock dropped -75%! But I held and sold for a +70% gain! A year and a half later of rebounds and getting lucky picking more winners than losers (I still got some turds), I'm now up 40%. Crazy.

If only I didn't ride the Covid wave down, and got in cheap. There's lots of people who got in cheap in March and April 2020 and had 5 and 10-bagger rebounds since then. I missed it.

godhandiscen

LOLOLOLOL

This ETF is down 11% YTD in the middle of a bull run. It takes some real intelligence to do the negative of the market.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

LOLOLOLOL

This ETF is down 11% YTD in the middle of a bull run. It takes some real intelligence to do the negative of the market.
Stock and homes the past year.

Unless you got nailed loading up on a meme stock at the high, or relied on a shitty house buying bot, it's impossible to lose money on the covid rebound and whats happened YTD.

A kid throwing darts to pick investments can do better than -11%. To be -11%, she must had bought so much junk at high prices it killed any good stock gains. Probably another shitty portfolio bot taking charge.

Fools idol

Banned
I continue to hold the belief that Cathie Wood is a load of hot air.

She got very lucky with some well timed trades but this past year has been a disaster for them. They constantly rebalance into utterly dog shit performing stocks then sell at a loss.

'innovation' my ass. I've held 3 stocks for 4 years and have gotten something like 1500% return ($TSLA $NET $NVDA $CDNS)

reallywhat else do you need to outperform these supposed gurus, just buy and hold solid fucking companies

godhandiscen

Whatever shares you got you held the whole time? Didnt sell any on the upswing? Googling it, youre up what? 20x? Wow!
I have been holding since 2017 too, maybe a bit earlier and I am also at a 20x on my initial buy, which was 5 months worth of my salary at the time. When I started investing in 2016 I felt I didn't know what I was doing, but I know the marketing industry really well and my maxim is "going against the propaganda will set you free". Seeing all the bearish propaganda around Tesla and the market in general has given me the strong conviction to hold during all crashes including the Corona one when I actually bought another half a year's worth of salary in stocks as everybody told me I was catching a falling knife. Nowadays I know way more about investments than I did when I started, I spend all of my free time reading about finance concepts and thanks to my background in software engineering and big data I feel I am inching closer to some cool breakthroughs. However, nothing has been more vital to my wealth accumulation than working with marketing industry leaders and seeing first hand how rotten to the core these individuals are, thus learning to never buy their lies. When you see the media telling you to do something, your first instinct should be to do the opposite.

hollams

Gold Member
What a ride! Wow. Dillards. I remember this stock way back being one of the big clothing companies getting nailed like many when it was $10 10 years ago as if it was going to go bankrupt.

One of these days, I'm hoping to get lucky with a stock that does a 10-bagger. But I always sell too soon.

When Covid bombed everyone in March 2020, my portfolio was down about 35%. One stock dropped -75%! But I held and sold for a +70% gain! A year and a half later of rebounds and getting lucky picking more winners than losers (I still got some turds), I'm now up 40%. Crazy.

If only I didn't ride the Covid wave down, and got in cheap. There's lots of people who got in cheap in March and April 2020 and had 5 and 10-bagger rebounds since then. I missed it.
I have been working at Dillard's for the past 25 years and the stock has given me many, many, chances to be a millionaire in my 401k, but I've missed the boat on everyone of them. Like you mentioned the stock was around $3 back in 2008 so I should have believed in my company and just bought the stock and kept it but I kept hearing diversify, diversify so I did and welp there you go.

godhandiscen

I just read headlines, I will study the full report tomorrow, but it is looking super bullish for Cloudflare.

reksveks

Sadly bailed on cloudflare a bit but the rest of my portfolio was pretty good today. Going to stick a bit of my money into msft, think the gpt3 move is a good one.

Last edited:
Whatever shares you got you held the whole time? Didnt sell any on the upswing? Googling it, youre up what? 20x? Wow!
There's a lesson to learned here about what diamond hands are. Whether you choose to learn it is up to you.

I will never sell a single share of my TSLA. They'll pry them from my cold, dead hands.

Sylvania Platinum dipped yesterday so I bought some more to get my amount to over 700 with a 103p average. (Getting £26 divis in December)

Undervalued by at least 70% from Discounted Cash Flow, has 100s of millions in cash and with Zero Debt it is very healthy. Of course being a Mining Stock the PE Ratio is tiny.

Honestly hoping this Super Cycle is going to perform miracles and I can 10x my money on it!

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Tesla looking like a rough day tomorrow. Musk is cashing out 25 bil worth apparently for 'taxes'. lol.

Wild stonk ride as always

Tesla looking like a rough day tomorrow. Musk is cashing out 25 bil worth apparently for 'taxes'. lol.

I hope wacky antics ensue.

"Disloyal capitalist sells stocks. Causes stock to crash. We need to regulate this behavior."

"In capitalist America it takes more courage to sell then to buy."

I do like the point he is making though, if you force people to pay taxes on unrealized gains it will cause some of these guys to sell massive amounts of their stock, whether that is a good thing or bad thing is questionable.

Last edited:

jadedm17

I hope wacky antics ensue.

"Disloyal capitalist sells stocks. Causes stock to crash. We need to regulate this behavior."

"In capitalist America it takes more courage to sell then to buy."

I do like the point he is making though, if you force people to pay taxes on unrealized gains it will cause some of these guys to sell massive amounts of their stock, whether that is a good thing or bad thing is questionable.

Don't mind me, I'm a Tesla Loyalist for sure, but I can't see this having a huge impact short term let along long term. Maybe 10%? I wouldn't be surprised to hit new highs by New Years either way.
Personally I'd love a dip : Red just means buy for me, I'm in this for the long ride.

godhandiscen

I probably should buy the dip, but I doubt he will do it tomorrow. Tomorrow will just be the fear. If he sells, he will DCA.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cathie Woods down 11% is a joke. My portfolio is up around 20% this year and that even includes some losers I picked that lost 20% dragging it down.

Fools idol

Banned
Well, I just bought a thousand more tesla shares. I think I am stressing my wife out like crazy, but I know this is the one. I'm out of dry powder now, 99.5% invested.

The fact that it didn't drop 15%+ today really adds to my conviction that this run isn't over, not even close.

Good luck guys, it's been a rough couple days lol.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Well, I just bought a thousand more tesla shares. I think I am stressing my wife out like crazy, but I know this is the one. I'm out of dry powder now, 99.5% invested.

The fact that it didn't drop 15%+ today really adds to my conviction that this run isn't over, not even close.

Good lord...balls of steel.

godhandiscen

Wow. I bought one since I am bullish on the stock, but figure Elon hasn't even started selling. I feel there will a chance to buy them cheaper in early 2022 as Elon and everybody else starts dumping to maximize tax schedules.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
damn, I should've bought Ford when it dipped down to $16..

WHY MUST I BE SO INDECISIVE??
Wow. F brings back memories. I remember 10 years ago this stock was $2. I remember it being a long time around $10 at around a 6 or 8% yield. I didn't follow all the car crisis stuff closely enough way back so I didnt risk taking a dip thinking it might self destruct like GM.

So far got modest gain on Intel. Up 3% in less than a week. Looks like that crator it did a couple weeks ago set a floor and it's slowly edged back up since where it bottomed at $48.

Last edited:
Top Bottom