• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Fools idol

Banned
Wow. I bought one since I am bullish on the stock, but figure Elon hasn't even started selling. I feel there will a chance to buy them cheaper in early 2022 as Elon and everybody else starts dumping to maximize tax schedules.

I am not worried about Elon selling. In the long run hes going to step down, we all know it. SpaceX is where his heart lies Imo. Tesla energy and the AI software divisions will carry the stock to new highs long after I am dead and my daughter will get it all.

Generational wealth my dudes. It starts with us.

Last edited:
I bet they think they can scare me with a 5% drop in TSLA. Mother fuckers have no idea the shit I've seen over the years as a TSLA investor.

You want my TSLA shares? Molon Labe, mother fuckers.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I bet they think they can scare me with a 5% drop in TSLA. Mother fuckers have no idea the shit I've seen over the years as a TSLA investor.

You want my TSLA shares? Molon Labe, mother fuckers.

Exactly. Man I remember seeing my shit down what felt like 50% in a few days when the SEC investigation shit hit. It probably wasn't that bad but this? nothing. Bump in the road

zeorhymer

PYPL posted a loss and got punished. But most people know that the majority of ecommerce is during the winter months. Just a thought.

MastaKiiLA

Wow. I bought one since I am bullish on the stock, but figure Elon hasn't even started selling. I feel there will a chance to buy them cheaper in early 2022 as Elon and everybody else starts dumping to maximize tax schedules.
Would it be early 2022, or next month? I always thought the trick was to sell any losing positions before the end of the year, to offset gains for the year. Then you rebuy them after New Year's, only selling enough to register the requisite loss on the books. What benefit would there be for waiting until early 2022?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Would it be early 2022, or next month? I always thought the trick was to sell any losing positions before the end of the year, to offset gains for the year. Then you rebuy them after New Year's, only selling enough to register the requisite loss on the books. What benefit would there be for waiting until early 2022?
That strategy makes sense for losing positions but TSLA is a winning position for which Elon will register capital gains taxes. Given that Elon will probably wants to maximize the time between his sale and paying taxes, he will most likely sell at the beginning of next year, that way he doesn’t have to pay taxes for another ~14 months.

It’s just an assumption on my part, I believe the Twitter poll is just PR. He is probably trying to inject more cash into SpaceX, and that triggered the idea of selling.

Tesla stock fell another 10% today. I bought 1 more share earlier today. I can see the stock going back to under $1k before it starts rebounding as the next earnings approach.

Also, Apple are still working on their car. It won’t be long before TSLA isn’t the only disruptor in the EV space, but my bet on TSLA is on robotics in general, five years into the future or more.

Edit: Just bought one more share timing the near daily bottom at $1018. My average price between yesterday and today for 3 shares is $1096, not bad but it could have been better. I really fucked up by not doing any TA before buying the share and thinking my earlier entry price today was a good opportunity; from indicators, it was clear that Tesla was going below $1050 early this morning.

I traded one more AMZN share to buy these. I put the rest on Apple, which I believe has a bright future.

2X5T0ZvC.png

I am at peace with my trades, but. I can totally see Tesla going down to ~$930 tomorrow as the people who fomo'd on the 25th try to keep some gains.

Last edited:

Outlier

Welp... Just sold my Tesla Stock, for a pretty penny. :messenger_sunglasses:

Status---- Action----Qty----Symbol----Type-----------Price-----------Reported
Filled----------Sell-------28---- TSLA ----Market----1043.4043 14:48:25 11/09/21

And am also glad to see my AMD position is booming... for now. :D

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
i added to my cloudflare and cadence design systems positions today and sold 100% of palantir and feel uncomfortable adding to tesla until elon has sold out and its done.

Outlier

i added to my cloudflare and cadence design systems positions today and sold 100% of palantir and feel uncomfortable adding to tesla until elon has sold out and its done.
Yeah. I'm waiting to see if and how far TSLA will go down, before considering jumping back in.

My friend told me to look at QCOM and TSMC, for future potential. I dunno about QCOM for now, but not considering TSMC, due to China. Don't want to risk what might happen in the near future.

Fools idol

Banned
not to be the bringer of bad news but uh... $QQQ is literally just rejected off resistance trend line, were likely due a good 10% correction to the support line which means further pain to come over the coming weeks.

GHG

Gold Member
not to be the bringer of bad news but uh... $QQQ is literally just rejected off resistance trend line, were likely due a good 10% correction to the support line which means further pain to come over the coming weeks.

I'd love a huge spike in the VIX at some point over the next week or so.

godhandiscen

Fucking Tesla picking up when everybody is selling. Go baby go!!

I wonder if these are just dumb algos that don't realize there is a crash happening and were just ready to buy the dip.

GHG

Gold Member
Sold a bunch of puts on SPY, FB, MSFT and NFLX today.

Will find out next month whether that was a good decision or not but with the spike in the VIX today I had to.

Fools idol

Banned
damn, Evergrande just defaulted. This could well be the overall market crash trigger, tomorrow will be ver important... Indexes looking very toppy

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
damn, Evergrande just defaulted. This could well be the overall market crash trigger, tomorrow will be ver important... Indexes looking very toppy

I think it was already known today based on the price action.

The pre market/open drop we got was due to the inflation data but then it recovered. The mid day drop was due to the Evergrande stuff.

Tomorrow will be interesting for sure but my gut feeling says this has already been accounted for and was expected.

godhandiscen

I think it was already known today based on the price action.

The pre market/open drop we got was due to the inflation data but then it recovered. The mid day drop was due to the Evergrande stuff.

Tomorrow will be interesting for sure but my gut feeling says this has already been accounted for and was expected.
I agree and I hope you are right.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Do not be so sure.

046-B3120-DE43-48-B1-A2-B0-AA46365-AF478.jpg

this was posted to a chinese options trading board over 1 week ago.

We got this news today:

And then this news in the last couple of hours:

Evergrande Set to Avoid Default After Paying Overdue Interest​

Bloomberg News
10 November 2021, 23:33 GMT+4Updated on 11 November 2021, 00:06 GMT+4
  • Grace periods for $148 million in coupon payments end Nov. 10
  • Evergrande has yet to default on any public dollar bonds

The daily trend change we saw in SPY/QQQ matches up with the time the second article above was released.

Markets are still trading, if they wanted to dump, they would dump.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

HoodWinked

figures. i got coinbase during IPO and just now it's just clawing back to even.

then you have Rivian up 22% from IPO.

markets somehow know exactly how to fuck with you.

Fools idol

Banned
The second Elon sales are done and filed with the authorities I'm going to buy back in. I think it's probably one of the only hyper growth names that will do extremely well next year as hyper inflation says hello

HoodWinked

The second Elon sales are done and filed with the authorities I'm going to buy back in. I think it's probably one of the only hyper growth names that will do extremely well next year as hyper inflation says hello

about $5 billion so far. apparently he has a tax bill of $15 billion so he still needs to sell more to cover the tax bill.

also he exercised his options for 2.1 million shared @ $6.24 LOL

0fVxnI0.png

zeorhymer

GO GO gadget GO - Managed to catch it on the low point and it did extremely well on earnings. Probably exit at 35ish. Having a good run with UEC and WISH.

godhandiscen

Fuck, I am unsure on how to play this. Google owns the biggest ad exchange hooked to the most publishers and for the longest they have been playing the price arbitration game; eating a chunk of the publisher’s revenue by forcing advertisers to pay extra for the impression compared to what other exchanges offer. Publishers have known about Google’s trick for ages so they developed techniques to bypass Google’s dominance (header bidding), but Google countered by developing AMP, serve the publisher’s website from Google’s servers, and hiding publishers in search that didn’t adopt adopt it. Google could potentially lose a good chunk of their ad revenue if they are declared a monopoly and regulation enters the ad trading space, but Google also has the government by the balls and it is possible that the cards will fall on their favor.

I just quit working for a company that had access to a wealth of ad data and my last forecast claimed Google was going to perform beyond expectations for the next few years. However I never accounted for them getting r3kt by the government 😞

Anyway, right now Google is a hold for me, no longer a buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member

Fuck, I am unsure on how to play this. Google owns the biggest ad exchange hooked to the most publishers and for the longest they have been playing the price arbitration game; eating a chunk of the publisher’s revenue by forcing advertisers to pay extra for the impression compared to what other exchanges offer. Publishers have known about Google’s trick for ages so they developed techniques to bypass Google’s dominance (header bidding), but Google countered by developing AMP, serve the publisher’s website from Google’s servers, and hiding publishers in search that didn’t adopt adopt it. Google could potentially lose a good chunk of their ad revenue of they are declared a monopoly and regulation enters the ad trading space, but Google also has the government by the balls and it is possibly the cards will fall on their favor.

I just quit working for a company that had access to a wealth of ad data and my last forecast claimed Google was going to perform beyond expectations for the next few years. However I never accounted for them getting r3kt by the government 😞

Anyway, right now Google is a hold for me, no longer a buy.

I'd love a chunky pullback on Google, I'd probably look at starting a position around the 2600 mark.

The thing that people miss with Google is the fact that in terms of revenue Youtube is fast catching up to Netflix and is well positioned to surpass them next year which is evidence of them getting much better at monetising the platform. It has 2 billion active users so I look at it and think they are currently sitting on a potential goldmine. It's currently roughly 11% of their quarterly revenue but I think it can be a lot more. When I look at large established companies like this I always like to look at where there is potential for growth from their existing business verticals and for me it's Youtube and cloud for Google.

I do know that much of that Youtube revenue comes from advertising though so I'd need to look into the antitrust situation a lot more and figure out how much of an impact it will have on that side of things, but overall it's a monster business that is still in a position where they can significantly grow revenue.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Yeah, my mother is ranting at Musk even though Tesla is less than 5% of what we hold. Lol, the shit I have seen with this stock, let's just chill.

Thinking that maybe today is the day BABA will start being looked at as Amazon of Asia, but nope, let's just hover. Maybe my kids will see any gains from that position (or I will just close it to offset capital gains when I sold a few Appel shares).

Fools idol

Banned
I think my playbook for the wild year ahead is just going to be much the same as the year of the pandemic - buy more and more and more cloudflare, tesla, nvidia and not think about the rest.

Top Bottom