• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange World Bombs At Box Office in Disastrous Start for Disney Movie

AJUMP23

Walt Disney would have been rolling in his grave if it weren't for the fact that he's been frozen.
I stopped when a lead female goes into a men’s bathroom and is told that the woman’s is down the hall and the lead responds by saying you are protecting the patriarchy. It is so weird to hear political speak spewed like normal conversational speech.

GymWolf

I stopped when a lead female goes into a men’s bathroom and is told that the woman’s is down the hall and the lead responds by saying you are protecting the patriarchy. It is so weird to hear political speak spewed like normal conversational speech.
Are they recording this shit inside a loony bin?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think they hope it will be normal conversational speech if they keep repeating it over and over. They hope people adapt and repeat.

RAÏSanÏa

I think they hope it will be normal conversational speech if they keep repeating it over and over. They hope people adapt and repeat.
It's not a hope it's an expression of something that already happened. They don't control people like you imagine. It's Western culture. It's only political when those threatened try to make it so.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not a hope it's an expression of something that already happened. They don't control people like you imagine. It's Western culture. It's only political when those threatened try to make it so.
Not really, it is information propaganda. It is not western culture, it is the lie one keeps repeating trying to make it be accepted as truth.

RAÏSanÏa

Not really, it is information propaganda. It is not western culture, it is the lie one keeps repeating trying to make it be accepted as truth.
It is Western culture. The characters shown exist and express those opinions in the Western world. It's not propaganda. The propaganda/political stuff is in the activity of those against showing things like the gayness of the Western world in films.

AJUMP23

It is Western culture. The characters shown exist and express those opinions in the Western world. It's not propaganda. The propaganda/political stuff is in the activity of those against showing things like the gayness of the Western world in films.
It is propaganda. Just propaganda you like. So you drink it up. People love affirming propaganda because they tend not to think critically.

Why should non-Western cultures accept this when they never experienced the historical foundations that gave birth to this state of things in the West?
Something like this must naturally become part of the fiber of society. Putting it on display for other cultures can at best lead to a superficial adoption ("I copy it, thus I am enlightened") and never to a natural understanding. You won't make people understand it by sprinkling it on top of consumer culture. The Ludovico technique doesn't work. There are deeper forces at play when it comes to culture and society.

RAÏSanÏa

It is propaganda. Just propaganda you like. So you drink it up. People love affirming propaganda because they tend not to think critically.
My enjoyment and analysis of a film isn't strictly limited to what you may term propaganda and I would term showing the real world. Sometime a film showing a perspective on something that doesn't relate to oneself in the human experience can be insightful and enjoyable for learning. The intrinsic value for me in this is the appreciation of the freedom of films to show the Western secular understanding and values of human co-existence that are evidential and taken from real developments.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Already on D+ next week

Wow. What a flop. The movie will probably end up around $60-70M in ticket sales when it's over. It's at $55M. Add in some December holiday sales at the box office rest of year and that's probably a wrap.

Amazing since you'd think they'd wait till January to plug it coming to D+ in Jan or Feb 2023 after the Xmas rush.

But it's probably better to plug it now to get Xmas D+ sub plans than actual theatre sales.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why should non-Western cultures accept this when they never experienced the historical foundations that gave birth to this state of things in the West?
Something like this must naturally become part of the fiber of society. Putting it on display for other cultures can at best lead to a superficial adoption ("I copy it, thus I am enlightened") and never to a natural understanding. You won't make people understand it by sprinkling it on top of consumer culture. The Ludovico technique doesn't work. There are deeper forces at play when it comes to culture and society.
Because western countries have the biggest media companies. Combined with western people always pushing their way of life is the best thing in the galaxy. So when you got a population and industry workers with the same mindset, it's natural for them to think they are greatest where their history/culture should be accepted on every inch of Earth.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Because western countries have the biggest media companies. Combined with western people always pushing their way of life is the best thing in the galaxy. So when you got a population and industry workers with the same mindset, it's natural for them to think they are greatest where their history/culture should be accepted on every inch of Earth.
Until they censor their own works for the China/Middle East/Etc dollars.

Then fuck virtue and pride in your cause, amirite?

Last edited:

Doom85

Heeeey, remember back in post #214 when a mod said to stick to talking about the film?

modern family gloria pritchett GIF

Billbofet

My enjoyment and analysis of a film isn't strictly limited to what you may term propaganda and I would term showing the real world. Sometime a film showing a perspective on something that doesn't relate to oneself in the human experience can be insightful and enjoyable for learning. The intrinsic value for me in this is the appreciation of the freedom of films to show the Western secular understanding and values of human co-existence that are evidential and taken from real developments.
Award for the most over-written group of sentences I have seen this month. Congrats to you!

jason10mm

Gold Member
H
Speaking of WOKE Disney. I am watching the new National Treasure series. First episode, the protagonist speaks of DACA, not getting deported, and other virtue signaling for viewers. The second episode starts with them saying they will attend a peaceful protest then get arrested for rioting. The writers cannot seem to help themselves.
Hang on, she is an immigrant and starts stealing American treasures from their natural peoples to put in a museum or something???

You sure she isn't the new Indiana Jones??? :p

AJUMP23

H

Hang on, she is an immigrant and starts stealing American treasures from their natural peoples to put in a museum or something???

You sure she isn't the new Indiana Jones??? :p
No they are First Nation treasures that were protected from the dastardly Cortez

RAÏSanÏa

Ludovico? No one is forcing it. It's just present and strong in the West. So it's present and strong in media. Those that are interested in the West from those non-Western cultures should see how it's adapted into Western society if they want. It doesn't mean they have to adapt a film in any particular way. The existence of evidential benefits from personal freedoms appears to be a threat to fictions that sustain power structures in less socially developed countries leading to some of these regional edits and bans.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No they are First Nation treasures that were protected from the dastardly Cortez
Really? So she follows clues from source material to find stuff like the Legendary Cities of Gold, Fountain of Youth, the Mound Builders, or whatever? Real fantastical supernatural stuff or mostly legit history?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As real as the myth of the “modern audience”. That is why there is so much anger at any target not facilitating this… live in the real world and talk to people outside of your bubble. Citing another extremist faction means little sorry.

RAÏSanÏa

As real as the myth of the “modern audience”. That is why there is so much anger at any target not facilitating this… live in the real world and talk to people outside of your bubble. Citing another extremist faction means little sorry.
Denying the existence would be being in the bubble. The anger seems to be more about it not staying in the closet.

RAÏSanÏa

Strawman hyperbole.
Untrue. Follow the conversation back more than one comment and avoid your usual driveby then redirect to politicize the conversation.

They brought up bubble into the context. They appear to think showing the presence of gay people in Western film is extremist. Given that, that label seems misplaced. Both bubble and extremist.

AJUMP23

Really? So she follows clues from source material to find stuff like the Legendary Cities of Gold, Fountain of Youth, the Mound Builders, or whatever? Real fantastical supernatural stuff or mostly legit history?
So far it has been free masons and no real history.

Azurro

Banned
Denying the existence would be being in the bubble. The anger seems to be more about it not staying in the closet.

If that were true, all of these movies that are basically propaganda pieces wouldn't be bombing so much. The reality is people aren't confused about what a man or a woman is, 90+% of people are straight, the "modern audience" doesn't exist, it's a narrative being peddled by a very, VERY vocal minority and activists that find meaning through this new pseudo religion.

RAÏSanÏa

If that were true, all of these movies that are basically propaganda pieces wouldn't be bombing so much. The reality is people aren't confused about what a man or a woman is, 90+% of people are straight, the "modern audience" doesn't exist, it's a narrative being peddled by a very, VERY vocal minority and activists that find meaning through this new pseudo religion.
There might be other issues that have nothing to do with what you're saying. By blaming this as primary you're completely discounting any other factor.

For myself, what is challenging for me to like this movie right off the bat is a burly Prospero. I do understand that's a personal problem and have already tried to understand why it bothered me. I look forward to watching the film and seeing if there's other challenges to confront and if it works with the overall film.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Will & Grace, Brokeback Mountain, I love you Philip Morris, Philadephia, RuPaul's Drag Race, etc. All are very successful and that goes across audiences.

I think the issue is quality, Lightyear (which I've seen and is very blend) and this (haven't seen, looks blender) are just not that good. The problem comes that when something isn't good they are focusing on other things instead. It's kinda how they promoted Rings of Power. They knew it was a shit show, so what are you gonna focus on?

Azurro

Banned
There might be other issues that have nothing to do with what you're saying. By blaming this as primary you're completely discounting any other factor.

For myself, what is challenging for me to like this movie right off the bat is a burly Prospero. I do understand that's a personal problem and have already tried to understand why it bothered me. I look forward to watching the film and seeing if there's other challenges to confront and if it works with the overall film.

Pushing progressive propaganda is the common denominator. Hollywood has been trying to blame all sorts of things instead of the propaganda they have been pushing in these films, but it's pretty clear the woke virus, as Elon Musk calls it, has been eroding margins or causing losses because it affects movie quality so badly. They constantly refuse to give audiences a product they want, but rather, they provide what the activists believe audiences "should" want.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Pushing progressive propaganda is the common denominator. Hollywood has been trying to blame all sorts of things instead of the propaganda they have been pushing in these films, but it's pretty clear the woke virus, as Elon Musk calls it, has been eroding margins or causing losses because it affects movie quality so badly. They constantly refuse to give audiences a product they want, but rather, they provide what the activists believe audiences "should" want.
It's not propaganda. There aren't even progressive elements in this show. It's just the culture of the West being shown in a film. You've got to stop trying calling it propaganda, it's a mistake that gets compounded and puts you in this mind virus death spiral.

As pointed out in the post above you there have been successful shows for decades in the West with these elements. Quality is one issue to consider. There's is currently quite a bit of organized propaganda against LGBQT+ that could be harming such films as well.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
It's not propaganda. There aren't even progressive elements in this show. It's just the culture of the West being shown in a film. You've got to stop trying calling it propaganda, it's a mistake that gets compounded and puts you in this mind virus death spiral.

As pointed out in the post above you there have been successful shows for decades in the West with these elements. Quality is one issue to consider. There's is currently quite a bit of organized propaganda against LGBQT+ that could be harming such films as well.

It is propaganda, I won't go into much more detail as I don't want to get permed, but those movies always portray men as weak or idiots, portray women that reject femininity, are stronger than all men and have no flaws, tons of "alternative sexualities", talk about the patriarchy or racist comments against white men. You even have a Disney executive on video talking about her "not so secret gay agenda". Those movies prioritise a political message over story or characters, therefore it is propaganda.

RAÏSanÏa

It is propaganda, I won't go into much more detail as I don't want to get permed, but those movies always portray men as weak or idiots, portray women that reject femininity, are stronger than all men and have no flaws, tons of "alternative sexualities", talk about the patriarchy or racist comments against white men. You even have a Disney executive on video talking about her "not so secret gay agenda". Those movies prioritise a political message over story or characters, therefore it is propaganda.
Some of that does happen in gay films. From field research it seems that's the way things happen in those circumstances, therefore not propaganda but true to life. The way such is told conversationally could be tightened in my opinion as a quality issue, but I like GenX emotional tones in conversational attitude which may not work in modern film. It would change overt characteristics, but I think bring some honesty in storytelling over signaling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom