• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin DLC ‘Trials of the Dragon King’ announced

Draugoth

Gold Member
SoP-FFO-DLC_06-29-22-1024x576.jpg
Publisher Square Enix and developer Team NINJA have announced Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin downloadable content “Trials of the Dragon King.” It will launch on July 20.

Users who purchased the Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin Season Pass will receive “Trials of the Dragon King” at no additional charge, as well as the upcoming “Wanderer of the Rift” and “Different Future” missions.

“Trials of the Dragon King” includes new jobs, weapons, accessories, and a new category of equipment, as well as new areas, stories, and challenges.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is available now for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Epic Games Store.

Watch a teaser trailer for “Trials of the Dragon King” below:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Probably anyone who played the game, it's actually really fun it just got massively overshadowed by Elden Ring

I don't think ER was this games "downfall." Brutal technical performance and spectacular cringe (the main characters look like they can't wait to get involved in that new "Grunge" sound from out West and that intro almost broke my neck with its whiplash) are what kept me from putting much time in this (the performance more than anything else).

. . .what I played of the game though was fine. It's just the aesthetic choices and overall issues that killed any excitement for me. Maybe when the thing gets patched.

I .. umm .. how many folks on this forum actually wanted more content for this game ?
Count me towards the people who will pick this game up and it's DLC on sale. It seems like a fun janky B game that's been overvalued. Also who knows, by the time it's 15-20 bucks the jankiness might be fully patched.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My opinion is not a positive one, so I’m not arguing that someone is wrong if they like this game. I had a hard time with this game. I put it down while I was 5 stages away from completing it. I get why people like it. I went back to play NiOh 2 and it just feels better. It’s not as floaty, enemies feel like they’ve had longer time spent on detail, and the campaign feels very robust. I see SoP and it feels watered down in a lot of ways. It’s using a similar formula to NiOh, but the character builds don’t feel all that important. I use whatever armor works, pick a weapon, and usually turn to magic because regular attacks just ghost through enemies. Something doesn’t feel right.

I wish they would have taken out the class system or at least tweaked it to the weapons. I’d also rather have one giant board of skills instead of deciding which class to throw all my points in. I haven’t made up my mind if I want to go back and finish it, but I wasn’t impressed by it. I fought a boss and it felt like a magic festival. I didn’t like actually hitting the boss with a weapon. This DLC looks like they’re making dodge based bosses. They’ve focused way too much on turning the boss fight into some Thunderdome.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've put about 60 hours into this game on PC, I think I'm getting close to the end of it. DLC that adds new areas and new job classes sounds pretty cool.

slade

Game's waiting on the backburner for me. I put so much time into Elden Ring that it knocked me out of wanting to play another long RPG for a while. Slowly getting back the urge though.

Mr.ODST

Cannot wait, game ended up being my GOTY that i quit playing Elden Ring to sink 60+ hours into it, loved the story with Jack and by the end was so engaged I cant wait to see where the DLC takes us.

Looks like we will be fighting the WoL again.

Love it

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I've put about 60 hours into this game on PC, I think I'm getting close to the end of it. DLC that adds new areas and new job classes sounds pretty cool.
Hey, how's the PC version nowadays? Tried it on release and it ran like shit on my system (5800X + 3070). Had to put it down when I was like 3 stages in, but I was really enjoying it.

Mister Wolf

Hey, how's the PC version nowadays? Tried it on release and it ran like shit on my system (5800X + 3070). Had to put it down when I was like 3 stages in, but I was really enjoying it.

Still runs like shit. Game desperately needs DLSS for anti-aliasing and improved performance to brute force through the terrible optimization.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still runs like shit. Game desperately needs DLSS for anti-aliasing and improved performance to brute force through the terrible optimization.
Aw fuck. Well thanks for the answer mate, guess I'll just keep on waiting for that DLSS patch.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

I peaced out on the game when - after you get to that first dungeon - the game just absolutely SHITS the bed when you use that blocking power (I can't remember the mechanic). Is the games performance pretty much still like that?

I think I even tried capping it to 40FPS/1440P and still couldn't maintain on a 5700/i5-8th Gen.

Mister Wolf

I peaced out on the game when - after you get to that first dungeon - the game just absolutely SHITS the bed when you use that blocking power (I can't remember the mechanic). Is the games performance pretty much still like that?

I think I even tried capping it to 40FPS/1440P and still couldn't maintain on a 5700/i5-8th Gen.

What got me was slowdown while doing the finishers. Completely unacceptable. I'm running a Ryzen 5800X3D paired with a 3080TI and this game still shits the bed. Im not mad. Got it for $33 off the last Epic Mega Sale. I hope they don't think we forgot about DLSS.

It's not the prettiest game out there. Art style is all over the place, and it has technical issues. But it is damn fun for action game fans. Has a bit more grinding than Nioh and doesn't hit the highs of Nioh, but it's well worth trying if you're a Team Ninja fan and see it on sale.

I could not wait for this game to end and am very surprised to see the praise it's getting in this thread. It's probably the worst game I've played this year. Sure, there is some variety and depth to the combat, but everything else was pretty bad and spoiled the whole package. I think I'll be skipping this.

Moochi

I had to mod the pc version with reshade because the default settings crushed all the blacks and I could see any detail on the enemies. After that, it was a pretty fun Neo clone with an addictive parry system.

so this is one of those so-bad-it's-good games at this point a-la Deadly Premonition?
Low budget graphics. Top tier gameplay depth.
Some of the dialogue is so bad it's funny in a great way. Some of the art style is messy and bizarre.

If people were this critical of action games back in the day they'd say Devil May Cry 1 has cringe dialogue. Game is fun if you're open minded and a little forgiving of techincal resolution jank.

There's like 30+ jobs with unique moves, and a sick ass counter system that absorbs monster abilities like a blue mage. Game is fun.

Deadly Premonition is a nearly unplayable trainwreck in comparison with only 1 redeeming quality; funny dialogue and the overall bizarre design.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Low budget graphics. Top tier gameplay depth.
Some of the dialogue is so bad it's funny in a great way. Some of the art style is messy and bizarre.

If people were this critical of action games back in the day they'd say Devil May Cry 1 has cringe dialogue. Game is fun if you're open minded and a little forgiving of techincal resolution jank.

There's like 30+ jobs with unique moves, and a sick ass counter system that absorbs monster abilities like a blue mage. Game is fun.

Deadly Premonition is a nearly unplayable trainwreck in comparison with only 1 redeeming quality; funny dialogue and the overall bizarre design.
I really enjoyed the demo, I'm waiting for a really deep sale though like bargain bin type low pricing, or GamePass, but I know I'll have a ton of fun with it when it gets to either point.

Jumped back into the game this weekend after getting distracted for a few months. Man, the combat seriously holds up. White Mage is extremely fun to use. Able to take down missions (with care) that are 12 levels above me by buffing my party with protect and shell first and playing carefully. Haste is extremely powerful. White mage is probably my favorite job so far.

Reactions: Isa

Pejo

DLC looks great. I hope they release it as a "complete edition" when it hits Steam next year.

I haven't picked up the DLC yet, but I've read complaints that it's too hard for people who played in Story/Easy mode.

I bought the season pass yesterday.

That would be an odd choice. I'm playing on Normal and it's decently challenging already.

lyan

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Top Bottom