• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN | Final Trailer

wvnative

I'm confused I only have the swordsman and duelest classes unlocked but I've unlocked several other weapon types, how do I use these other classes?

Last edited:

Vaelka

This game looks like the definition of cringe, and it's so unself-aware about it and takes itself VERY seriously.
It's like The Room of video games and I love it lol.

Zephir

I'm confused I only have the swordsman and duelest classes unlocked but I've unlocked several other weapon types, how do I use these other classes?

You can change class automatically by equipping a different weapon or by selecting a different one manually (select the class icon at the top of the menu and change it)

Fatbody

I’ve been playing the demo on a PS4 Pro, and man, has anyone confirmed what the in-game/in-combat resolution is? It feels like it’s almost sub 720 at times. I get they want to keep the framerate high, but wow I don’t think I’ve seen a game this blurry in a long time

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just pre-ordered the deluxe version to get the season pass. Ended up getting the PS5 one Over the XSX just because I have most of my FF games on PS.

Rambone

Man where to begin with this game... I dunno.

This Final Fantasy is just a pure hack and slash action game, all you do basically is missions to advance the storyline with the idea of obtaining lots of loot. Each enemy is a loot pinata, sometimes you can score rare equipment or upgrades. The graphics in the game are pretty mediocre but not terrible. The story is pure b-grade cheese but its entertaining. The game feels very Japanese.

The first mission / dungeon I went through wasn't anything exciting or anything I'd praise, really generic action game fare, felt boring and lazy. A few of the other ones I played felt all the same, I'm not sure if they will be enjoyable to grind out or do more than once or twice. There is no exploration or anything outside of the dungeons, so you aren't really wandering around towns or other notable locations. You sit in a menu screen, you can converse with towns folk but it just jumps to a visual novel like conversation. There is multiplayer, which you can do any and everything in the game with other players if you so choose.

The combat was awesome, there was a large variety of moves and in general it all felt super satisfying. The combos weren't hard to do and each weapon seems to have its own thing going on so you can basically just play how you want or what's most comfortable for you. Wow, I didn't expect there to be so much blood and ultra violence in this game, it was spectacular. My character and weapons were drenched in blood. I was fighting some dogs and grabbed their face and ripped their face apart by prying apart their upper and lower jaw, hot damn. From the intro video of the game you knew right away this game isn't messing around.

The main character is a hardass/badass, no pussy shit with him, he fucks and is a giga chad. One member is kinda a weeb, you get a skinny chick and another dude bro whom I haven't really formed an opinion about yet. They all banter with each other while you traverse the dungeons which helps keep things fresh.

I think players coming in expecting a new grandiose final fantasy rpg mainline like game is going to be disappointed but for those who are looking for a sweet action game, it feels final fantasy enough, is dark, adult and ultra violent. In a way, I kind of wish more final fantasy games were like this one. In fact, I'd dare say that ALL Final Fantasy games should take some notes. The violence really makes this game and it is next level, it's like you can do Mortal Kombat style finishers to nearly every enemy.

That's pretty much all there is to say about this game. It's not the final fantasy we wanted/asked for, it's the final fantasy we needed. This game is just about fun and smashing monsters/people and ripping their heads off till they hemorrhage blood and cum all over you then looting their pocket watch in the name of vanquishing chaos.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
js1Ws4p.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
Man where to begin with this game... I dunno.

This Final Fantasy is just a pure hack and slash action game, all you do basically is missions to advance the storyline with the idea of obtaining lots of loot. Each enemy is a loot pinata, sometimes you can score rare equipment or upgrades. The graphics in the game are pretty mediocre but not terrible. The story is pure b-grade cheese but its entertaining. The game feels very Japanese.

The first mission / dungeon I went through wasn't anything exciting or anything I'd praise, really generic action game fare, felt boring and lazy. A few of the other ones I played felt all the same, I'm not sure if they will be enjoyable to grind out or do more than once or twice. There is no exploration or anything outside of the dungeons, so you aren't really wandering around towns or other notable locations. You sit in a menu screen, you can converse with towns folk but it just jumps to a visual novel like conversation. There is multiplayer, which you can do any and everything in the game with other players if you so choose.

The combat was awesome, there was a large variety of moves and in general it all felt super satisfying. The combos weren't hard to do and each weapon seems to have its own thing going on so you can basically just play how you want or what's most comfortable for you. Wow, I didn't expect there to be so much blood and ultra violence in this game, it was spectacular. My character and weapons were drenched in blood. I was fighting some dogs and grabbed their face and ripped their face apart by prying apart their upper and lower jaw, hot damn. From the intro video of the game you knew right away this game isn't messing around.

The main character is a hardass/badass, no pussy shit with him, he fucks and is a giga chad. One member is kinda a weeb, you get a skinny chick and another dude bro whom I haven't really formed an opinion about yet. They all banter with each other while you traverse the dungeons which helps keep things fresh.

I think players coming in expecting a new grandiose final fantasy rpg mainline like game is going to be disappointed but for those who are looking for a sweet action game, it feels final fantasy enough, is dark, adult and ultra violent. In a way, I kind of wish more final fantasy games were like this one. In fact, I'd dare say that ALL Final Fantasy games should take some notes. The violence really makes this game and it is next level, it's like you can do Mortal Kombat style finishers to nearly every enemy.

That's pretty much all there is to say about this game. It's not the final fantasy we wanted/asked for, it's the final fantasy we needed. This game is just about fun and smashing monsters/people and ripping their heads off till they hemorrhage blood and cum all over you then looting their pocket watch in the name of vanquishing chaos.
You were never going to get a traditional FF game out of Team Ninja. Not quite sure why people were expecting that.

This game is fun. I hope the reviewers don't give it a bad score cause they can't stop comparing it to that Elderly game. Somehow knowing where tf to go in a game is a bad thing now.

Killer8

Tried the demo on Series X. Wasn't a big fan of the previous two demos, but something clicked this time and i'm enjoying the combat loop a lot. You are basically encouraged to bait enemies, using the soul parry mechanic to build up your MP gauge for the harder battles later. Magic casting and special abilities are a lot of fun too, and it's one of the few games of this type that doesn't completely collapse as soon as you're facing more than a couple enemies (the wolf pack I fought later in the demo felt very fluid). Also really liking how you can rock two completely different classes at once, right down to armor/equipment sets, and switch them with the press of a button. Very entertaining game that i'd potentially have bought had I not had Elden Ring still to finish. I'll happily grab it at 50% discount.

Last edited:

Myths

It’s an interesting take. A lot of the game you could swear lifts elements right out of FFVIIR and XV for a quick flip, especially character progression and UI stuff.

Finally got around to trying out the demo on PS4 Pro and HOLY FUCK it looks like I'm playing a docked Switch game

Yeah it's nice that it's 60fps but it literally looks like 360p or some shit. I'd rather have a locked resolution with an unstable framerate if given the option

Edit: This is how 30fps cutscenes look.
zi5A4Gy.jpg

This is how gameplay (60fps) looks
lcKLb3C.jpg

That said, I was planning on getting this on PC anyway - I just never expected the PS4 Pro version to look this bad.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

This is the best demo of the game yet. I get 60fps on PS5 now. Ofcourse its ridiculous that a game with these PS360 era textures (seriously it doesn't look better than Lost odyssey or something) needs a perf and resolution mode. But I've always liked the gameplay of this. I especially liked going Black Mage. I really think the combat combined with the FF lore is a winner. I do want to buy it but not for full whack. Perhaps once I'm done with ER I might jump in.

I think its good that there are difficulty modes. Its obvious that the previous demos were Hard mode, as Normal mode in the latest demo is a joke. I one shot Chaos Advent in about 20 seconds without grinding at all. So I will likely stick to Hard, but its nice that you can lower it if a mission proves to be bullshit.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Did they reduce the difficulty from the previous demo? I didn’t feel like playing the 3rd, but I had already prebought the game. I was hoping they’d make this their NiOh to Dark Souls. That would make this coincide with Elden Ring, but I can’t say it’s going to do what NiOh did.

Mr.ODST

Ok so someone Dm'd me about the stages being based off other Final Fantasy games, I thnk its an awesome idea they did this Here they are below :) Also if you hate Tonberrys brain this post.

Might Contain Spoilers!! (Only ones missing are 7, 11, 15)

FF2 (West Castle)

FF3 (Crystal Mirage)

FF4 (Floating Castle)

FF5 (Machine Forest)

FF8 (Gurugu Forest)

FF9 (Devils Jukai)

FF10 (Mt.Gagazet)

FF12 (Earth Cave)

FF13 (Light Distortion Water Town)

FF14 (Pirate Hideout)

Amiga

Ok so someone Dm'd me about the stages being based off other Final Fantasy games, I thnk its an awesome idea they did this Here they are below :) Also if you hate Tonberrys brain this post.

FF2 (West Castle)

FF3 (Crystal Mirage)

FF4 (Floating Castle)

FF5 (Machine Forest)

FF8 (Gurugu Forest)

FF9 (Devils Jukai)

FF10 (Mt.Gagazet)

FF12 (Earth Cave)

FF13 (Light Distortion Water Town)

FF14 (Pirate Hideout)

With all these locations game is going to be loooong and deeeep. My FF spidy sense hasn't been tingling this wild since the time of FF Tactics.

FingerBang

8 is missing too

SkylineRKR

Holy shit Find Your Way is being played in the FF8 stage.

I beat the Pirates Hideout in the demo and yeah its like a carbon copy of Sastasha.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Still feel like there's not enough outrage for the resolution and aliasing haha. I want to buy this game, but can't when it looks so blurry and performs so poorly too.

Surely they'll be patching this?

Amiga

Still feel like there's not enough outrage for the resolution and aliasing haha. I want to buy this game, but can't when it looks so blurry and performs so poorly too.

Surely they'll be patching this?

Graphics not gonna win any awards, but if gamers can live with PUBG/Fortnite graphics they can live with this.

Though it will be Interesting to see what it looks like brute forced on a high-end PC rig.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played through the demo and really enjoyed it more than I thought it would. I played the first demo and thought "meh" but this one grabbed me.

It looks like there will be tons of levels and tons of stuff to do, I think I'll pick this up once I'm done with Elden Ring.

Amiga

Watched preview plays on my TV. Visuals clearly improved. not Horizon FW, but not distracting like the 1st demo. Textures look solid and even better than in NiOh 2, the game engine that it was developed on.

SkylineRKR

Some scores are out and its reviewing better than you might expect.

Did they reduce the difficulty from the previous demo? I didn’t feel like playing the 3rd, but I had already prebought the game. I was hoping they’d make this their NiOh to Dark Souls. That would make this coincide with Elden Ring, but I can’t say it’s going to do what NiOh did.

Hard mode feels the same as the previous builds. Even with gear from the final demo stage, Chaos Advent can still 2 or 3 shot me if I am not taking notes. And I can kill him quickly with more powerful tools, as I could in the last demo after some grinding.

I think its cool, I had a hard time with the Waterscape like level in the second demo, here you can always dial back and redo the stage. Hard mode seems to drop more greens and blues on average etc.

This demo, which is essentially the game proper, kinda sold me. Its just fun and there isn't much shit between the action.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Reviews coming out.

30 hours. 28 jobs, each with a skill tree. Lots of varied stages. Story supposedly sticks the landing at the very end.

Sounds like the annoyance of managing tons of gear is similar to what we saw in Nioh as well. And the visuals are just average at best. Everything else sounds pretty good though.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yeah I could do without the obscene loot numbers in Nioh. But I like this better than Nioh. Its FF themed, which is a plus for me as it means you're finishing off Cactuars and the like. And I kinda like the combat more, being able to cast spells etc. I was in love with the first Nioh during the first 10 hours or so, but then the loot, stages and repeated bosses got the better of me. It just didn't interest me. Being FF and handing out throwback areas and music from the franchise, SoP likely won't have that problem.

Top Bottom