• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strangest/Best/Most Noteworthy Bugs You've Ever Encountered? (In a game, that is)

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
With how complex games are, sometimes systems behind the scenes collide in expected and unintended ways. Ran into two bugs in the past two days, and it made me want to commiserate and see what else others have seen.

Bug #1) Dishonored. I was going for 100% completion, and the second-to-last achievement I needed before the "beat-the-game" one was to kill an enemy by throwing their own grenade back at them. So I set up my quicksave and dropped the difficulty down to Easy. Enemy throws grenade, I Stop Time, and chuck the grenade back him. He goes flying, ragdolls...and stands back up. No big deal, I'll just do it again since the enemies have infinite grenades, I have infinite Stop Time, and too much real time on my hands. So I throw his next grenade back at him, blood splatters, he gets back up like the Black Knight. Maybe I should soften him up a bit. I shoot him 3 times (4 would kill him) in the leg with a crossbow. Grenades still won't take him down after. Could his health be regenerating, I wonder? No, because if I shoot him 3x, wait a minute, and hit him again with the crossbow, he immediately dies. In the end, and after about 40 minutes of trial-and-error, it took a couple sword swipes and ELEVEN grenades to put him down for good. Maybe grenade damage is tied framerate and playing at 240fps messed it up somehow?

Bug #2) Ghostwire: Tokyo. I just got it for PC, and this one is weird: turning the camera to the right is about twice as fast as turning the camera left. Meaning, I can do two full rotations to the right in the time it takes to do one rotation to the left. Strange, innit?

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Latest one is probably the fucking horse from elden ring getting randomly stuck for 10 seconds on some geometry and then i just die,my runes also at the place that somehow triggered death.
I got that one, too! Thought it was going to be a weird one-off event where my horse gets got and then I'm whisked away to some new zone or something but no, just a run-ending glitch.

Zttnbbx.jpg

6aKzUMPMqzajD9fDHZ57p6-1200-80.jpg

Last edited:

MAtgS

PL1_EN_130.png

But also....

Somehow managing to reverse the prefixed camera in a Lego Marvel:

Dying for no reason in Dead Rising 3:

Missing platform in SMB3 (Wii U VC):

Floating Goombario in Paper Mario:

Skylanders Giants, bypassing the room change trigger at a doorway:

Broken as fuck Unikitty in Lego Dimensions:

This poor NPC in Skyrim:

The invisible man in Telltale's Batman:

And of course, everything about Andromeda:

Last edited:

trikster40

I’ll have to upload my screenshots and video later, but in Spider-Man remastered for the PS5, Peters body completely disappeared and I was just a floating head. Pretty cool looking lol

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
PL1_EN_130.png

But also....

Somehow managing to reverse the prefixed camera in a Lego Marvel:

Dying for no reason in Dead Rising 3:

Missing platform in SMB3 (Wii U VC):

Floating Goombario in Paper Mario:

Skylanders Giants, bypassing the room change trigger at a doorway:

Broken as fuck Unikitty in Lego Dimensions:

This poor NPC in Skyrim:

The invisible man in Telltale's Batman:

And of course, everything about Andromeda:

That Andromeda video is golden haha

Kev Kev

Getting outside of the maps back in the halo 2 and 3 days. I’d spend hours doing that.

Don’t know if that counts but eh close enough

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

After a patch in Kingdom Come Deliverance, guards weren’t able to keep their long spears in their inventory and would drop them on the ground at night and each subsequent night. These spears would not despawn and after so many days the accumulated spears on the ground would tank the open worlds game framerate.

The Super Kick, also from KCD, is spectacular.

skit_data

I wrote this in the Starfield/Redfall delay thread:

A little anecdote: the best glitch/bug I’ve ever experienced was in Fallout 3. Somehow (idk how, would be fun to get an explanation) the model and sound effect of a water drop in the sewers/subways was replaced by a rusty tin can and its corresponding sound effect. I had rusty tin cans falling from the ceiling all over the sewer with a corresponding ”clonk” sound effect only to disappear and repeat the animation.

Another wierd bug I’ve encountered was in GTAIV. I had the highest wanted level and was fleeing from the police in a very fast car at top speed on a very long stretch of highway and then crashed into a building, clipped into it and after a while of glitching around accompanied by the sound of metal hitting concrete I was sent flying out the other side of the building. To my surprise the wanted level was gone and I could go about my day hitting pedestrians for another while.

I had a pretty funny glitch happen in Trespasser (I mean, anyone who played the game probably encountered a few). I was minding my own business exploring an area but all of a sudden I started moving faster and faster backwards. As I picked up speed the arm was stretching further and further away from the body. I kept picking up speed and was moving very fast outside of the playing area onto an ever expanding field of ground texture while my arm was growing longer and longer (it was now stretching beyond the horizon) and it was looking more like a glitchy stretched texture at this point. This kept on for about 3-4 mins until the game crashed.
Edit: It was similar to this only accompanied by an ever increasing speed backwards:

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
After a patch in Kingdom Come Deliverance, guards weren’t able to keep their long spears in their inventory and would drop them on the ground at night and each subsequent night. These spears would not despawn and after so many days the accumulated spears on the ground would tank the open worlds game framerate.

The Super Kick, also from KCD, is spectacular.

Liu Kang, is that you?

_____

In the Avengers game, sword wielding characters (e.g. Hawkey) had their swords attached to their hands and clipping through everything during all of the cut-scenes. Lost a bit of immersion seeing Iron-Man being worried about the situation, while a sword was sticking in his face.

Probably not a coincidence, but the same happened once with Gamora in GotG.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
In Elden Ring, a dragon fell from a waterfall but his head was visible. Usually I try again in these situations but this one was kinda relief after too many attempts.

So I once saw a big tarantula.

The physics from the pc version of Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered are totally scuffed. You can't almost never assassinate someone when you are riding. This is exaggerate when trying to jump into animals

Vandole

This is over a lifetime ago now, but I saw a really cool bug from the original Legend of Zelda. For those of you who played it, you might remember that the menu screen actually scrolls down from the top whenever you press start, and then scrolls back up after you've selected your secondary weapon.

One day while I was playing this, the menu dropped down, but Link stayed on the screen. So I got to run around on the pieces of triforce I had, my subweapons, heart container, and all of that stuff. At the time, I was unfamiliar with video game bugs and was really badly stuck trying to find the level 7 labyrinth, so I thought I had stumbled across some secret to find it.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Been replaying RDR2, and after getting mauled by a cougar, Arthur has hair growing out of his eyes and nose, which is disconcerting.

Turns out dropping the anisotropic filtering down from 16x to 8x fixes it. What interaction between what code causes this? Lmao

This isn't my picture, but it's from a Reddit thread where it happened to someone else:
9dgc9LI.jpg

Top Bottom