• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stray Surpassed God of War as The Highest-Rated Game On Steam In 2022

BoxFresh123

PAuJ73l.jpg

I'm ashamed, I tell ya. I point and click game with zero gameplay. You just hold a stick forward together with button A and watch it play itself. You control a cat and yet theres not a smidget of parkour in the whole game, but casual cod gamers wooooo 10/10 !!!

Absolute waste of space trash material 3/10 of a "game", Avoid.

Aaron Olive

I'm ashamed, I tell ya. I point and click game with zero gameplay. You just hold a stick forward together with button A and watch it play itself. You control a cat and yet theres not a smidget of parkour in the whole game, but casual cod gamers wooooo 10/10 !!!

Absolute waste of space trash material 3/10 of a "game", Avoid.
Really?, sometimes all you need is a good atmosphere, a logical story to tell and a decent soundtrack that gels with the world you explore.
Do you know that Ico, SOTC or other indies like Limbo and inside are cult hits because of this formulae?

Atmosphere
Story
Sound
Design
Simplicity

And most importantly it's different from the norm!

Last edited:
Really?, sometimes all you need is a good atmosphere, a logical story to tell and a decent soundtrack that gels with the world you explore.
Do you know that Ico, SOTC or other indies like Limbo and inside are cult hits because of this formulae?

Atmosphere
Story
Sound
Design
Simplicity

So much disrespect for classics. Limbo and Inside are skyscrapers above stray. Nobody will remember stray in a week.

Atmosphere
Story
Sound
Design
Simplicity

Not to mention that it isn't a 50+ hour open world game, which is all we seem to get these days.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's a good experience, but as a best game of the year? Meh.

Source: Played through the whole game on PC

Guilty_AI

Surprised God of War’s so highly rated. It’s typical AAA console style missionary position gaming.
Highly marketed game, famous IP, no glaring technical issues, not the initial release so people who don't like the game are already filtered out from the potential buyers, many double dippers who bought the game already expecting to like it, etc.

Last edited:

skit_data

Lol, I just saw a news article about this on one of the bigger news apps in Sweden. This game is definitely making a pretty big splash and I can’t see it not getting awarded for best indie game or something similar on the Keighley awards.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Enjoyed my time with it, solid 4/5 but yeah the premise is going to win big with players. I can easily say I had fun with the title and each section such as forced stealth ends quicker before it gets annoying. So I came away happy.

Only major issue is I feel the game could have done without the Zurk sections, they just felt unessary, could have spent more time in anthill or midtown for example and not had those parts of the game.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nuff people love cats....2022 is a shit show with very few quality titles releasing on consoles......no news from Sony about anything really. No new events...nothing....just a date for God of war which was the most talked about thing for two week lol..release cat game, profit from starved gamers!

Game could be amazing though or it could be forgotten in two weeks...let's see.

Rivet

it's this overwhelming obsession with AAA and sony that kills their respect for Indies. i don't doubt @SlimySnake plays quite a lot of fun games but it's kind of hard to tell when almost all of his posts these days are complaining about how games aren't "next-gen" enough (which i can understand, but still...)

Thing is when I pay 4 or 5 times the price of a next gen console for my new shiny PC and beefy gpu, it's not really to play Tetris or indies, otherwise I'd just do it on my $100 old last gen console since that game would look and run mostly the same. I like and respect indies, but they can't be the reason why I upgrade my GPU.

You paid a lot, you want to be wowed somehow. It's not an obsession and it has nothing to do with Sony, except the fact they set the bar higher obviously and so they make other games often look bad in comparison. You just want a reason to spend all that money.

Having a half potato PC for indies or PC strategy games / PC exclusives definitely makes sense though.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
To put god of war on steam at someone a high aaa game has to be expected to be day 1 release on all platforms.

Not surprising due to exposure this got. Also this was a new game. God of war on steam was a 3 year old game. Many people , like myself already played it.
I don't double dip unless its a game with replay value, like a strategy game or rpg (god of war is good game but its really one and done).

What i want to know is does this game have replay value? I heard it was short.
If it is a 3-4 hour game, I will pass and wait for steam/psn sale.

Last edited:
These types of games usually have extremely positive reviews because the name and cover of the game speaks for itself. Look at Power Wash Simulator, same thing. If you want to Power Wash a house, you will like Power Wash Simulator. If you like cats, you will like Stray. That is it. I have watched many streamers play this game and that is literally the only selling point. You play as a cat. If you replace the cat with a normal person or an FPS POV, it is very mid. I am not a cat person, so this has 0 appeal to me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yeah, some prefer the style of gameplay from the previous games it seems so not really that surprising. I like them both, but I was glad they changed things up in the 2018 game.

I’m cool with changing things up, but I think the camera being pulled in really hurt the combat. Now I’m focused on the lights behind my back, where before you could see all around. Kratos felt so much more mobile as well.

It’d be nice if they could maybe combine the two, where the camera would zoom in over the shoulder axe throws, but pull back for standard combat.

jaysius

Banned
Steam reviews are one of the shittiest metrics, it doesn't differentiate from people that got the product FREE aka PAID REVIEW or even a review where the person got a REFUND but left a positive review aka FAKE REVIEW, or a joke positive review with dumb shit in the review, or very few words which don't add up to even a coherent opinion.

Steam reviews are a cesspool, there are positive bombs of favored games all the time on Steam to elevate them when they most times don't deserve it. Meme games, and Streamer/Tuber hyped games tend to get the positive reviews because the hive mind of the streamer/tuber tells it's drones to love the game. This also goes for when a stream/tuber hates a game too.

Stray is an OK game, but STEAM reviews are one of the WORST metrics on the internet.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Steam reviews are one of the shittiest metrics, it doesn't differentiate from people that got the product FREE aka PAID REVIEW or even a review where the person got a REFUND but left a positive review aka FAKE REVIEW, or a joke positive review with dumb shit in the review.

Steam reviews are a cesspool, there are positive bombs of favored games all the time on Steam to elevate them when they most times don't deserve it.

The reviews mention if the product was received for free or refunded.

I find them to be the best source of reviews in comparison to journalists, dumpster fire Metacritic, and simple stupid star reviews on other platforms.

jaysius

Banned
The reviews mention if the product was received for free or refunded.

I find them to be the best source of reviews in comparison to journalists, dumpster fire Metacritic, and simple stupid star reviews on other platforms.
There is no downgrading of the FREE PRODUCT in the overall rating that steam gives it, a PRODUCT WAS FREE gets equal weight in the overall average despite the fact that it's PAID.

EDIT: Nothing tells you FREE PRODUCTS aren't included in the average, I had to scour the internet to find this out after someone mentioned it, those reviews hide in there with the other stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom