• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 5 displaces Street Fighter II to become the best selling game in the series, and Capcoms 8th best-selling game overall.

When you've played every street fighter, marvel vs capcom, xmen, ex plus alpha, every streetfighter released religiously for your life...you know when one isn't great.

SFV was a complete mess and obviously just a contract agreement....ask anyone who knows about the series.
f2hbAko.gif

If you have that much experience with fighters, you would know how much a single balance patch can fundamentally change how you play? You'd also concede new characters bring new styles which opens thing up a bit?

Edit: Bomba officially means nothing anymore. Even words are fads now and forums are to blame.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
f2hbAko.gif

If you have that much experience with fighters, you would know how much a single balance patch can fundamentally change how you play? You'd also concede new characters bring new styles which opens thing up a bit?

Edit: Bomba officially means nothing anymore. Even words are fads now and forums are to blame.

It wasnt just a balance patch though. It literally launched without a story mode and was a half assed release with missing features......Its like it launched in 2021/2022. plus the online was broken for aaaages.

Yes they improved it with balance changes but it never really got to the standard of past streetfighters.

It wasnt just a balance patch though. It literally launched without a story mode and was a half assed release with missing features......Its like it launched in 2021/2022. plus the online was broken for aaaages.

Yes they improved it with balance changes but it never really got to the standard of past streetfighters.
How would you know where it is considering your time with the game?

OsirisBlack

Banned
When you've played every street fighter, marvel vs capcom, xmen, ex plus alpha, every streetfighter released religiously for your life...you know when one isn't great.

SFV was a complete mess and obviously just a contract agreement....ask anyone who knows about the series.
I've played every fighting game competitively (the only one I've never liked is Tekken) since you needed quarters and people walked into the arcades and sold Gamefaq printouts.
I'm talking about when you played SF1 and the arcade box had the two big ass buttons that the kids would mash with their elbows while wildly swinging the joystick trying to get a fireball.

I own more fight sticks than I care to mention and have owned modded systems just to play certain fighting games.

You can ask anyone that knows about the series that SFV started out trash but the current state of the game.... is far from that.
SFVI looks really interesting, the gameplay looks deeper than SFV but each game is different. You might not like it personally but that does not make it bad.

mxbison

One of the biggest disappointments in gaming history for me.

I hope SF6 can capture the old hype and magic like SF4 did.

Reizo Ryuu

Shaddy Capcom fused all versions of SF5 (original, arcade, champion) into the same tier. They did the same thing with Resident Evil 7 (original and gold edition) which is why it's ranked so high in their platinum list, but in reality RE5 is the best selling RE game with over 13 millions of copies sold.
There's no different versions of SF5, every disc sold at any time is all "editions".

Last edited:

yurinka

It happened

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2022/aug/16/street-fighter-5-bestselling/

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html#tab1

Going from a game that had a disastrous launch failing sales goals, and people thinking that SF may be put on ice for awhile blaming Sony for a disastrous exclusivity deal, to now being the best selling SF game and the 8th best selling Capcom game is quite a story.

Sure there are reasons WHY it ended up reversing course with sales and none of them were about the actual game, but it's still impressive none the less to see Street Fighter 5 reach 6.60 million sold.
One of the biggest disappointments in gaming history for me.

The game was released in a bad shape and short of features and content, but thanks to the periodical updates of its GaaS approach they kept fixing and improving most issues (like input lag, unstable netcode, certain gameplay system stuff, balance), added all the missing content and features and added even more to the point the game ended being an awesome, polished and probably the most balanced Street Fighter game ever and one of the best fighting games of the generation (for some the best) and has loads of features, content and unlockables.

It also didn't split its userbase by platforms or versions: all the community together thanks to crossplay since day one and had all new revisions, features, game modes, UI and gameplay rebalance patches as free dlc. Had a DLC system split in seasons focused on cosmetics and new characters, but all characters were unlockable and spending a few hours in single player mode with low difficulty you were able to unlock around half of the DLC characters, without needing to grind online. It was very generous too with many kind of unlockables like stages, costumes, colors, illustrations, endings and so on.

All this kept the players engaged for year and generated a great word of mouth, amplified with its very successful eSports tournaments. That gave the game legs and kept selling quarter after quarter, even now 6 years and a half after its release to the point it ended being the best selling Capcom fighting game ever if it only has been released on a single console (it didn't even get a PS4 Pro or PS5 patch).

With SF6 it looks like Capcom has learned from their mistakes, not just in MP and content, but in appealing to those wanting a great single-player experience which was lacking in Street Fighter 5, since it didn't even exist at launch. Will SF6 see the series sell MK and DBZ figures taking advantage of SF5's new momentum and good will? Maybe, but this is Capcom and outside RE they are known for making silly errors in judgement.

Street Fighter 2 has been dethroned in copies sold, after over 30 years Capcom has managed to pull with SF that it easily did with RE. With Mega Man 11 only 10,000 copies from mega Man 2, soon all of the old guard may be dethroned by the end of the year. Street Fighter V is the new king of the hill.

(although I've seen some argue they are cheating since there are two versions of the game being sold and Capcom decided to not separate them unlike all the other times but that's another story. This seems to only matter to the hardcore fan sites)
SF5 had a poor single player experience at launch but not it has the biggest and most complete single player experience ever seen in a Capcom fighting game. It features:
  • Half a dozen arcade modes: one per SF series, each one with an ending for each character on each one, with secret bosses and unlockable illustrations for when achieving special challenges.
  • Cinematic story mode: longer han a cinema movie, combine cinematics and fights against characters that aren't playable in the rest of the game and also featuring exclusive stages.
  • Character story prologues: short stories that explain the background and motivations of each character with a little story and a handful fights
  • Survival Mode: with different difficulties, boost items and special challenges/rewards
  • Tutorial, trials and demonstrations to learn the basic moves and advanced combos of each character
  • Weekly missions: minor achievements giving you rewards for making minor challenges using the different game modes
  • Extra battle: rotating weekly fights where you fight special battles under special conditions and sometimes with very challenging special characters like unique secret bosses. You can unlock more costumes and other stuff
  • Cusomizable dojo: you can make a clan with your friends and decorate it with cosmetics items you can unlock by playing
  • Fighting chance: non-paid gatcha lottery using only points you unlock by playing the rest of the game to get costumes, colors, dojo items and artwork illustrations for the gallery
  • Huge amount of statistics tracked to be aware of your progress and detect where to improve

Overall SFII sold 12.4m copies on one platform versus SFV which sold only 6.6m copies across all versions and platforms (PS,PC). That's terrible considering how many more gamers there are today vs the SNES days.
So SFIV sold a total of 9.6 across platforms amd versions.

SFV couldve sold way better than it did. They've soured the audience on Xbox now.
SFV sold half of what all versions of SFII sold on SNES alone.
SFV's will be that of a bomba with F2P aspirations that eventually dragged itself out of its own crater.
Shaddy Capcom fused all versions of SF5 (original, arcade, champion) into the same tier. They did the same thing with Resident Evil 7 (original and gold edition) which is why it's ranked so high in their platinum list, but in reality RE5 is the best selling RE game with over 13 millions of copies sold.
Really? I thought SF4 Sold more than 6.3million units

If you combine the sales of the different upgrade versions of games like SFII or SFIV then in SFV you should also count the sales from season passes, DLC and IAP. If you play SFV online you'll constantly see most people playing with DLC characters, costumes and stages and if you check the monthly character usage stats you'll see that each new character became one of the most played characters during a month or two. They sold a shit ton of DLC/season passes, and seeing them releasing more like 6 years after launch proves that.

In SFV you didn't have to buy a brand new game to be updated and get the gameplay rebalances, new moves, new game modes, new features: you got all this as free dlc. You only had to buy the characters either separatedly (or unlock them for free) if you only was interested on one or a few of them, or to buy a group of them in a season pass bundle. All the SFV series is a single game with free updates: nobody is kept behind blocked by a pay wall and everybody plays together even from different platforms thanks to having crossplay since day one (SFV was the first to add crossplay, rollback and many years of free stuff, support and fixes, something that now is getting common in the genre).

Which means combined sales of SFII and SFIV series count players who kept buying the game several times to be updated. In the SFV series there is a single game, a single disk: it has been reedited with different names but was the original game disk with an online update with the free patches and bundled codes to download past DLC.

So that’s 9 years. We’re on year six now, February will be 7 years. Did they give a month for Street Fighter 6 release?
They didn't give a month but Yoshinori Ono, executive producer back then in charge of the SF series (now a Sony employee), said years ago that before releasing SF6 they planned to support the SFV series for as long as they supported the SF IV series. From SFIV release to SFV there were almost exactly 7 years. If you add 7 years more you have February 2023.

As I remember SFIV was released 2 years and 3 months after the PS3 console release. SFV was released 2 years and 3 months after the PS4 console release. 2 years and 3 months after PS5 console release is February 2023.

Most Street Fighter games get released in February, specially around half of the month. The birthday of Luke, SF6's main character, is February 17th. February 17th, 2023 is a Friday, the day of the week where most games get released.

So if I had to guess a month, I'd say -as I said since years ago- February 2023. And if I had to bet on a day, I'd say February 17th.

Last edited:

yurinka

w500.jpg
w500.jpg
w500.jpg

Not to mention, the same person can buy the same game on both PS4 and PC.

You are correct that SFV across all versions and platforms, a game that has been out and receiving DLC for 6+ years and has been offered for as low as $1 in a humble bundle with other games, managed to outsell the SNES version of the original Street Fighter II that was only available for one year before it was replaced with Turbo.
They all three are the same game and all include the same original disk. The only difference between them is the cover and that the two newer ones include a voucher code with previously released paid dlc.

If you bought any of them, when the next one got released you got a free game update that updated the game logo, UI, added its new game modes, new gameplay rebalances, new gameplay mechanics and the rest of free and unlockable content. Plus over time all the free stuff they keep adding outside game rereleases/rebranding.

But yes, you are counted twice if you bought the PC version and the PS4 version.

Street Fighter II wasn't removed from the stores when Turbo was released, and it got discounted, price cutted, included in console bundles, etc. too. It even has been included in virtual console of future Nintendo consoles. But yes, even if each store/retailer had freedom to make their deals, price cuts and discounts weren't the same in the early 90s than now.

Last edited:

yurinka

Yes, but you can also buy all of the editions separately. It's literally cheaper to buy a "physical" copy of SFV Championship Edition than to pay for the upgrade on the PSN Store.

We don't have a Capcom rep on GAF to confirm, but I highly doubt they continued to print new copies of vanilla SFII for SNES after Turbo was released. Cartridges weren't cheap enough to continue shipping a game that was made largely redundant with the new offering.
There is no point of buying the SFV editions separatedly: they all have the the same disk, the upgrade was cheaper than the full game and also got discounts both as upgrade and as full digital game. Plus also you get a lot of its content for free without buying anything, and the paid DLC they include is old so probably you already have bought or unlocked a good portion of it. With Arcade Edition it only added season passes 1 & 2 that I already had, and even if I had most of the main stuff included in CE I bought the upgrade to get minor shit like colors, titles, costumes I didn't have, etc.

At least here in Spain both the original SFII game and its console bundles were being sold during basically the whole SNES lifetime, so I assume they kept printing it. I also remember that when SSFII was released it was so fucking expensive (around what it would be now $90, not adding the extra of inflation) while the older ones were way cheaper, so I assume many people kept buying the older ones.

On top of that, back then these over 6M copies meant to be one of the best selling games of the generation for all companies. And at that times the best selling games kept at the stores basically during the whole lifetime of the console.

Last edited:

yurinka

I see. May be a difference due to the region.

In the US, it's cheaper to rebuy the game as Street Fighter V: Champion Edition from GameStop or Amazon than to upgrade your existing copy of SFV to CE through PSN. Plus you get trade in your original copy for even more savings. Physical and digital pricing can be a little weird over here.
Yes, here to trade the game in the store isn't common. Here that is common for consoles.

What people here did (or does) to get new games cheaper was to sell the game in a 2nd hand flea market where there were decent prices, when you often got great deals. It wasn't until later (can't remember when, I'd bet around PS2 gen) that it started to be common to see 2nd hand stores (like CEX, depending on the period it had great prices and deals) focused on buying and selling 2nd hand stuff like games, and later gaming stores like Game started to have a small 2nd hand area, often with horrible pricing to buy and sell.

The big generic (not the gaming focused) retailers here, similar to what's your Wallmart, dominated the physical new game sales since forever (I did work for a major publisher and have friends in top positions of other ones) by a large margin. But unlike the game focused retailers they never had a 2nd hand area or bought you old games (some of them did it for consoles).

Nowadays people use apps/websites both to sell each other 2nd hand stuff (specially retro games, prices are getting so fucking expensive) and also new physical games. But well, people are moving to digital so 2nd hand games in flea markets and gaming focused stores are dissapearing and focusing more in merchandising.

lukilladog

Well... they are comparing combined sales of two platforms against one, which had an install base around 1/10th of ps4 and PC. Nothing to cheer about, SF is not popular anymore.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've played every fighting game competitively (the only one I've never liked is Tekken) since you needed quarters and people walked into the arcades and sold Gamefaq printouts.
I'm talking about when you played SF1 and the arcade box had the two big ass buttons that the kids would mash with their elbows while wildly swinging the joystick trying to get a fireball.

I own more fight sticks than I care to mention and have owned modded systems just to play certain fighting games.

You can ask anyone that knows about the series that SFV started out trash but the current state of the game.... is far from that.
SFVI looks really interesting, the gameplay looks deeper than SFV but each game is different. You might not like it personally but that does not make it bad.

So it went from bad to.....not too bad actually.

Great work!

I hear you. I only own 3 arcade sticks now after selling a few but yeah sf5 started shit and it got...OK after a few updates. I played it a bit after rhe updates but it still wasn't quite there for me.

If others enjoy it...all good.

Sf6 looks good though.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
w500.jpg
w500.jpg
w500.jpg

You are correct that SFV across all versions and platforms, a game that has been out and receiving DLC for 6+ years and has been offered for as low as $1 in a humble bundle with other games, managed to outsell the SNES version of the original Street Fighter II that was only available for one year before it was replaced with Turbo.

The Office Congrats GIF

are these being counted as separator sales like the ones version is?

People forget this was still during the years of Capcom having games flopping let and right, fans being upset over every other new release, n0o new Mega man games for years, the Mega Man Universe and Legends 3 cancellation, Resident Evil 6, and Remember Me. Then Mighty Number 9 scame happened and it was supposed to be a knockout punch to Capcom because Inafune was behind it and made a bucnh of Capcom fans believe he was the engine behind Capcom

It was a completely different time, Capcom was nowhere close to being in the same position than as they are now, people were expecting bankruptcy, a merger, or an acquisition.

If Sony has not come in, if we ever did get a Street Fighter 5 it would have been years later, after Resident Evil and other quality games made after the restructuring saved the company from the worst. Possibly tosay instead of SF6, without Sony picking up 5, 5 would be the game we would be talking about now instead of 6. SF was about to be put in the closet without that funding.

Yep. Just makes some of the revisionists history around SFV all the more annoying. Would it have been nice if it were a multiplat console release? Of course. But it being exclusive wasn't the reason it struggled early on.

Even amid those struggles they managed to turn the game around into something they and the community can be proud of, which says a lot.

What even is the title of this post? The linked art doesn't even support it.

I mean...

Well SFV only had two editions (vanilla and Arcade Edition) while SFII had at least four console editions plus variants for more consoles since there were more consoles around at the time (I know both SNES and Genesis got at least two versions of SFII, 3DO got a port, PC-Engine got a port etc. plus the collections for Saturn and PS1 might count towards its overall sales). So SFII does have some advantages even there, not to mention the arcade if you just want to talk revenue.

Still though, it's done very well for itself all things considered. There was probably a time in 2017 when many thought the game was flat-out done and Capcom would've shifted to MvC: Infinite. Funny how that turned out...

Goes to show that numbers only mean shit to the bean counters.

SF2's legacy will remain that of the legendary game that made the genre break big.

SFV's will be that of a bomba with F2P aspirations that eventually dragged itself out of its own crater.

It's a "bomba" that recovered in a way very few games with terrible launches can lay claim to, and handily made more revenue than the previous release that many people seem to champion as the best-selling modern SF (SFV has now not only outsold it with fewer platforms, but clearly out-earned it in revenue).

There are other games in legendary IP that hope to be able to pull off at least half as good a recovery as SFV did. Halo Infinite being a prime example; going from being one of the defacto leaders in the FPS genre to where it is now, is extremely rough to see. And 343i don't have near the management cohesion and content productivity schedule of the SFV team, so any recovery that game can make in terms of player gains and revenue will be a mountain in and of itself.

Yep. Just makes some of the revisionists history around SFV all the more annoying. Would it have been nice if it were a multiplat console release? Of course. But it being exclusive wasn't the reason it struggled early on.

Even amid those struggles they managed to turn the game around into something they and the community can be proud of, which says a lot.

it didn't help they launched the game barebones with barely any content or features, no SP, and bad online. During the time the competition where putting out games doing the opposite.

But that just made the anger toward Capcom worse, they were already dealing with years of fan backlash, bad reviews, games not meeting goals or failing outright, people didn't like the direction they were going in with a few of their IPs, some IPS hadn't seen a game in years or were an they were cancelled, and Mighty Number 9 was the ""real Capcom is over here follow them" game. Until it came out.

SFV was on the tail end of that in 2015, the company changed itself through 2016 and now has among the most anticipated, best selling, and highly reviewed games out of other Japanese companies.

Capcom is in the opposite position from where they were then when a buyout or bankruptcy was considered inevitable.

Halo Infinite being

No.

We don't know the sales and the revenue so you can't really make this comparison. Also unlike here SFV was Halo didn't hit a sales slump that had people thinking Microsoft was going to put it in the closet for a few years. In Halo Infinites case the game alone is supposed to last 10 (I think it will be 3 but we'll see.)

Well... they are comparing combined sales of two platforms against one, which had an install base around 1/10th of ps4 and PC. Nothing to cheer about, SF is not popular anymore.

SFV wasn't bundled extensively with PS5's though. Even those $5 deals you still had to pay $5 and it wasn't free.

That's the point of my post and why I made that comparison. Newer games have a high chance to outsell games from the '90s like SF2. Also, it shows how much bigger gaming is worldwide compared to then.

SF2 had more advantages, it was given away for free, and its only sales competition in the mainstream was Mortal Kombat and only Mortal Kombat until Tekken, and then SF became mostly irrelevant for 13 years.

SFV had way more competition, that all sold much more than SFV until it had its sales turnaround, and some still have sold a lot more. It also had a bad launch with much missing, and many people were already angry at Capcom for other things they were doing with their games.

yurinka

It's the best selling Capcom fighting game ever. Yes, it's somehing to cheer about.

But yes, the comparision doesn't make sense and it would only make sense comparing revenue of SFV+its DLC+season passes+IAPs+in-game ads revenue vs the revenue of all the different SF2 editions with its ports. And in that case it wouldn't be fair either because it would be 1 console and PC in 6 years vs a gazillion platforms during 30 years.

Last edited:

lukilladog

SFV wasn't bundled extensively with PS5's though. Even those $5 deals you still had to pay $5 and it wasn't free.

SF2 had more advantages, it was given away for free, and its only sales competition in the mainstream was Mortal Kombat and only Mortal Kombat until Tekken, and then SF became mostly irrelevant for 13 years.

SFV had way more competition, that all sold much more than SFV until it had its sales turnaround, and some still have sold a lot more. It also had a bad launch with much missing, and many people were already angry at Capcom for other things they were doing with their games.

I think that bundle was limited, 5k-10k units in Europe according to Consolevariations.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I honestly can't believe it could in any shape or form outsell SF2 which has been played for the last 30 years. Something is way off about those metrics. Maybe sold more than SF2 on PS.

The report is about specific software titles, in this case Street Fighter 2 on Super Nintendo. It doesn’t combine different home releases,
Later revisions (CE, Turbo, Super) or even arcades.

I think that bundle was limited, 5k-10k units in Europe according to Consolevariations.
it has Europe at 10k-50k. Specifically EU, ignoring the local variations but the numbers are questionable regardless.

Either way, you may as well use Vgchartz if you're using them for "accurate" numbers.

Also, it was in the US too, I wouldn't be surprised if there was one for the Super famicom in Japan.

But Consolevariations has no idea what the actual commonality of the variations were unless they were confirmed, they go off estimates on online shopping, they've also removed variations.

Last edited:
The report is about specific software titles, in this case Street Fighter 2 on Super Nintendo. It doesn’t combine different home releases,
Later revisions (CE, Turbo, Super) or even arcades.

Arcades aren't counted, but seeing how many arcade machines capcom sold and for what games would be interesting.

lukilladog

it has Europe at 10k-50k. Specifically EU, ignoring the local variations but the numbers are questionable regardless.

Either way, you may as well use Vgchartz if you're using them for "accurate" numbers.

Also, it was in the US too, I wouldn't be surprised if there was one for the Super famicom in Japan.

But Consolevariations has no idea what the actual commonality of the variations were unless they were confirmed, they go off estimates on online shopping, they've also removed variations.

Where is your "extensive" estimate from?.

it didn't help they launched the game barebones with barely any content or features, no SP, and bad online. During the time the competition where putting out games doing the opposite.

But that just made the anger toward Capcom worse, they were already dealing with years of fan backlash, bad reviews, games not meeting goals or failing outright, people didn't like the direction they were going in with a few of their IPs, some IPS hadn't seen a game in years or were an they were cancelled, and Mighty Number 9 was the ""real Capcom is over here follow them" game. Until it came out.

SFV was on the tail end of that in 2015, the company changed itself through 2016 and now has among the most anticipated, best selling, and highly reviewed games out of other Japanese companies.

Capcom is in the opposite position from where they were then when a buyout or bankruptcy was considered inevitable.

Welp, that's what being on the brink of bankruptcy can do sometimes. When the chips are down, you give it your best shot because you may not get another shot if it fails.

No.

We don't know the sales and the revenue so you can't really make this comparison. Also unlike here SFV was Halo didn't hit a sales slump that had people thinking Microsoft was going to put it in the closet for a few years. In Halo Infinites case the game alone is supposed to last 10 (I think it will be 3 but we'll see.)

I'll agree Halo didn't have a sales slump per se (tho sales were trending downwards for each new installment in the mainline series), but it was a growing issue with perceived quality by larger chunks of the hardcore & core fanbase that did have people doubting 343i's handling of the IP and thus wondering what MS would at least do with them, if not the Halo IP in particular.

TBH I feel the fact MS now owns Quake, DOOM, and (soon) COD combined with the very hostile reception Halo Infinite's gotten even from hardcore fans and the lack of big player numbers (keep in mind MS values MAU a lot, it's a helpful metric towards knowing likely revenue spending considering the average of what each user may likely buy), there are probably some very real questions from people in that fanbase as to what's going to happen with 343i in the future, and even Halo.

Because the recent TV show didn't really do the games much justice, either, and again with the FPS IP MS now own or will own, Halo starts looking increasingly irrelevant to keep around.

w500.jpg
w500.jpg
w500.jpg

The Office Congrats GIF

You guys are all focusing on sales numbers but I can guarantee you SFV's generated more in revenue for Capcom than SFII (vanilla) did on SNES. Those cartridges were like $30 back then, also add on the cost of packaging and then the retailer cut, not to mention Nintendo's cut (probably at least 30% but it could've been more; I'm gonna assume Nintendo and Sega took more than 30% because Sony's licensing agreements looked "fair" by comparison and they asked for 30%) and I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom only took in $20 for each new copy of SFII that sold back then on SNES.

In fact I'd feel kind of confident saying SFV made more in revenue that Capcom actually saw, than all versions of SFII on SNES combined did for them at the time. Maybe it looks different if you adjust for inflation but I'm only focusing on the value of the time. SFII, no matter the platform, didn't have a system for DLC and MTX the way SFV does (and where the majority of its revenue has come from).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Welp, that's what being on the brink of bankruptcy can do sometimes. When the chips are down, you give it your best shot because you may not get another shot if it fails.

I'll agree Halo didn't have a sales slump per se (tho sales were trending downwards for each new installment in the mainline series), but it was a growing issue with perceived quality by larger chunks of the hardcore & core fanbase that did have people doubting 343i's handling of the IP and thus wondering what MS would at least do with them, if not the Halo IP in particular.

TBH I feel the fact MS now owns Quake, DOOM, and (soon) COD combined with the very hostile reception Halo Infinite's gotten even from hardcore fans and the lack of big player numbers (keep in mind MS values MAU a lot, it's a helpful metric towards knowing likely revenue spending considering the average of what each user may likely buy), there are probably some very real questions from people in that fanbase as to what's going to happen with 343i in the future, and even Halo.

Because the recent TV show didn't really do the games much justice, either, and again with the FPS IP MS now own or will own, Halo starts looking increasingly irrelevant to keep around.

You guys are all focusing on sales numbers but I can guarantee you SFV's generated more in revenue for Capcom than SFII (vanilla) did on SNES. Those cartridges were like $30 back then, also add on the cost of packaging and then the retailer cut, not to mention Nintendo's cut (probably at least 30% but it could've been more; I'm gonna assume Nintendo and Sega took more than 30% because Sony's licensing agreements looked "fair" by comparison and they asked for 30%) and I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom only took in $20 for each new copy of SFII that sold back then on SNES.

In fact I'd feel kind of confident saying SFV made more in revenue that Capcom actually saw, than all versions of SFII on SNES combined did for them at the time. Maybe it looks different if you adjust for inflation but I'm only focusing on the value of the time. SFII, no matter the platform, didn't have a system for DLC and MTX the way SFV does (and where the majority of its revenue has come from).

Why are you talking about revenue etc, when I'm purely talking about how the game was received by the fighting game community and the streetfighter fanbase.

There is no way street fighter 5 was anywhere as influential or loved as streetfighter 2 and in reality sf5 sold about half as many copies as sf2 and its been as cheap as pretty much free. It's been like 9.99 or less for years. Sf2 was sold at 70 to 90 for years and with every new release it was back to full price.

I can agree the microtransactions and dlc made money for capcom but those skins and microtransactions are designed to do that.

The realityis the games sold no where nearas much as sf2 or even as much as sf iv and it wasn't the installment it should have been.it wqs a half assed cash grab with little effort put into it to work as a marketing trick for Sony and capcom but it blew up in their face. No longevity.

Mess

Why are you talking about revenue etc, when I'm purely talking about how the game was received by the fighting game community and the streetfighter fanbase.

There is no way street fighter 5 was anywhere as influential or loved as streetfighter 2 and in reality sf5 sold about half as many copies as sf2 and its been as cheap as pretty much free. It's been like 9.99 or less for years. Sf2 was sold at 70 to 90 for years and with every new release it was back to full price.

I can agree the microtransactions and dlc made money for capcom but those skins and microtransactions are designed to do that.

The realityis the games sold no where nearas much as sf2 or even as much as sf iv and it wasn't the installment it should have been.it wqs a half assed cash grab with little effort put into it to work as a marketing trick for Sony and capcom but it blew up in their face. No longevity.

No fighting game had the same cultural impact than SF2 and probably none will. The genre is just too demanding now that gaming is so widespread.

That being if you count all versions of SF4 - which you *had* to buy unless you were ok to play alone - you'd need to consider SF5 DLC. SF5 is considered as very successful by capcom nowadays which is why we're getting SF6.

Also while SF5's initial release was really bad, it has improved a lot and is probably considered a way better game than Elena Fighter 4 USF4 by most of the competitive scene. Hell, 3S has coop cup and more, where are the big USF4 grassroot tournaments?

Mobilemofo

SF2 Hyper fighting was the perfect street fighter game. Quick and very responsive. Cost me £75 on import as I didn't wanna wait til the UK date of release. Good good times.

Mess

Eqle_ihXAAEf4RB

It was $70. Then Turbo came out at $70 and so did Super.

By contrast, Street Fighter V has been in Humble Bundles more than once, the latest for $1.

Sort of crazy to think that this one iteration of SFII for one console probably generated more revenue for Capcom than all of SFV combined and it doesn't even need to adjust for inflation to do it.

He means the cost of manufacturing the cartridge. But anyway, show us were SF5 touched you...

He means the cost of manufacturing the cartridge. But anyway, show us were SF5 touched you...

I have nothing against SFV. It's probably evolved into the best game in the series for all I know.

My annoyance with this thread is that the headline is clickbait. The headline of the actual article linked is "Street Fighter 5 is finally Capcom's best selling fighting game as a single release" with the subline of "Technically speaking".

Mister Wolf

Good game, but not for me. 4 was the best. Looking forward to 6. Ryu, Kimberly, and Deejay will be my focus.

Last edited:

The thing is for a long time COD was always associated with Xbox as well as many other FPS games even in the earlier years of the Xbox One, so I don't think the acquisitions would impact Halo sales. I think what's going to impact Halo sales is not listening to fan feedback and not coming up with a new strategy to revigorate appeal for the brand, which currently isn't happening. If that problem is not fixed, then i would say that having other IP such as COD, Doom and so on would force Halo players to start making a choice of what FPS they want to play.

At retail, but digitally there's gamepass so all those FPS would be free anyway. That service really was forward thinking.

Where is your "extensive" estimate from?.

I didn't give an estimate, the only thing I said was you got what the site says about EU wrong (not including individual countries like France) but they are just guessing units, there was a time they had 500,000-750,000 Jaguars out there before they saw the leaks on the Atari sites and interviews showing that only 250,000 were made, so now the site says specifically 250,000. They also removed the EU variant for some reason.

Like Vgchartz, they only have accurate numbers if they are revealed and edit accordingly.

No fighting game had the same cultural impact than SF2

Mortal Kombat did.

Had to be at least 40% or more for SNES because it was higher than Sega's, which was higher than Sony's.

What Nintendo took out was looked down upon, although they weren't too found of Segas too, and it was an even bigger issue with the N64 were Nintendo practically said "developers should be honored that we even have them on our consoles" paraphrasing.

I have nothing against SFV. It's probably evolved into the best game in the series for all I know.

My annoyance with this thread is that the headline is clickbait. The headline of the actual article linked is "Street Fighter 5 is finally Capcom's best selling fighting game as a single release" with the subline of "Technically speaking".

You mean the edited headline. Technically speaking wasn't there originally when the thread was first posted.

Last edited:
Maybe in the USA but that's it. Hence, no.

You are underestimating how big it was, it wasn't sold everywhere like SF for obvious reasons but it was still a major brand at the time, and when Street Fighter started declining it was the only one left before the 3D fighters released.

Those were the only two brands that were mainstream in the genre at the time. Only after polygonal fighters became the trend did we start seeing more than two brands have mainstream appeal generating big numbers of copies.

Last edited:

lukilladog

I didn't give an estimate, the only thing I said was you got what the site says about EU wrong (not including individual countries like France) but they are just guessing units, there was a time they had 500,000-750,000 Jaguars out there before they saw the leaks on the Atari sites and interviews showing that only 250,000 were made, so now the site says specifically 250,000. They also removed the EU variant for some reason.

Like Vgchartz, they only have accurate numbers if they are revealed and edit accordingly.

I would not be so hard on people correcting their estimations once new information is available (I actually admire that), much less discrediting all their work just because they were off in some instances, but anyway, it seems they are right about it being a limited bundle, only game I remember being extensively packed with the console was Super Mario World.

Last edited:
I would not be so hard on people correcting their estimations once new information is available, much less discrediting all their work just because they were off in some instances,

they were off because they made up numbers like Vgchartz, this is the part you aren't getting. they never had any estimates based off anything just generic placeholders they used across the site. SFII right now is an example of that, several of the SNES units have 10k-50k as a range, and you see that same rage for other known consoles variations.

They aren't a reliable resource for knowing how many of what variations there are, They also decided to remove the EU Jaguar variation and act like all 250,00 Jaguars were the same variation, the whole point of the site is to release all the local and regional box variations and they messed that up too. In older versions of the site they didn't even have numbers and just added them randomly.

They also aren't right, SFII was a well known bundle in the US, I don't know about the EU but someone mentioned they saw it commonly as well.

Last edited:

lukilladog

they were off because they made up numbers like Vgchartz, this is the part you aren't getting. they never had any estimates based off anything just generic placeholders they used across the site. SFII right now is an example of that, several of the SNES units have 10k-50k as a range, and you see that same rage for other known consoles variations.

They aren't a reliable resource for knowing how many of what variations there are, They also decided to remove the EU Jaguar variation and act like all 250,00 Jaguars were the same variation, the whole point of the site is to release all the local and regional box variations and they messed that up too. In older versions of the site they didn't even have numbers and just added them randomly.

They also aren't right, SFII was a well known bundle in the US, I don't know about the EU but someone mentioned they saw it commonly as well.

All right, let´s exclude them as a reliable source of information, I drop them... but what about your "extensive" claims?, base for them is your personal experience and hearsay, or do you have something more reliable?. Because from my own memory, the bundle had very limited distribution in NA, I´m pretty sure I only saw it once... and it makes sense, SF2 was a third party hit, it is unlikely that nintendo would be willing to buy millions of them, because it would have been expensive and the system was selling itself pretty well.

Mess

There’s more people on the planet now.

I think no one would disagree that SF5's sales achievement is totally dwarfed by SF2's. Hell, SF2 may have overall be played more in the arcades that on home consoles.

But that's still a pretty big milestone which will comfort capcom into making new street fighter games. Us Darkstalkers fans know that a new game in a fighting game serie should never be taken for granted :messenger_pensive:

yurinka

In the website shows that the only non SNES SF2 release that sold over a million was SFCE for MD (1.65M).

Which means that counting the SFV revenue generated with DLC, IAP, season passes and in-game ads promotions probably SFV generated more revenue than all the SF2 games in all consoles and computer.

In the website shows that the only non SNES SF2 release that sold over a million was SFCE for MD (1.65M).

Which means that counting the SFV revenue generated with DLC, IAP, season passes and in-game ads promotions probably SFV generated more revenue than all the SF2 games in all consoles and computer.

Depends on if the computers games were on cartridge, disc, or tape. Cartridge on some computer versions of SFII would have brought in a lot of money even only selling 50,000. But floppy and tape forget about it.

but what about your "extensive" claims?,

I didn't claim any numbers, all I said it was more common than the 1-5k you mentioned, which isn't even what the CV website said, it said 10k-50k. it also says that for France because it's likely a place holder, that same range is on other variations on the site.

What you're doing is what people who use Vgchartz do and defend bad numbers, and then say "do you have a better source" as if it's ok to use a source that's made up until you get a real one? That's not how it works lol.

lukilladog

Depends on if the computers games were on cartridge, disc, or tape. Cartridge on some computer versions of SFII would have brought in a lot of money even only selling 50,000. But floppy and tape forget about it.

I didn't claim any numbers, all I said it was more common than the 1-5k you mentioned, which isn't even what the CV website said, it said 10k-50k. it also says that for France because it's likely a place holder, that same range is on other variations on the site.

What you're doing is what people who use Vgchartz do and defend bad numbers, and then say "do you have a better source" as if it's ok to use a source that's made up until you get a real one? That's not how it works lol.

What do you exactly mean by extensive then?. 50k, 100k, even 1 or 2 million doesn´t seem to make much of a difference if you consider the difference in install base, you are the one making the claim, it is up to you to back it up.

Top Bottom