• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streets Of Rage Composer Yuzo Koshiro Put His Name On Title Screens Because His Mum Told Him To

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Yuzo Koshiro is arguably one of the most famous composers of video game music in the world thanks to his incredible work on the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive and, more recently, for his sterling efforts on franchises such as Atlus’ Etrian Odyssey.

While Koshiro’s tunes for titles like Revenge of Shinobi, ActRaiser and Streets of Rage have become the stuff of legend, another big reason for his fame is that his name appeared on the title screen of many of those early Sega hits.

You might assume that Koshiro achieved this feat by throwing his weight around or playing hardball with Sega, but that’s not the case. He has revealed via Twitter that it was his business-savvy mother Tomo Koshiro (who would establish the studio Ancient with him and his sister, Ayano) that suggested the idea:

thanks mods for the title change 🚀

Last edited:
Good advice. He wouldn't have been known the way he is without taking it.

But then again, I think there are a lot of Japanese composers deserving an equal spotlight.

TwistedSyn

Well it was a damn good idea because, when I first booted up Streets of Rage 2 back in 93, I could not get the music out of my head. Yuzo Koshiro was probably the first VGC that I became a fan of.

Top Bottom