• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stripped the screw inside my PS5

ManaByte

ee2db36e-c15c-4208-a53d-d25b95a86355_text.gif

DaGwaphics

Well, there it is. Proof that a technician must be hired to assist with this screw business on PS5. Kills any savings associated with the open market SSD. Too bad.

If it happens once that automatically guarantees that it happens every time.

Democratic National Convention Dnc GIF by Election 2016

Seriously though, how in the world did a m2 screw get stripped? No need for those to be ridiculously tight.

Woggleman

At least the SSD and PS5 still work perfectly fine. The fan seems louder but that is probably because I stopped running the air conditioner and the heat in my house doesn't make any noise.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What types of screws are typically used for SSDs? No doubt they'll be small.

Unless it's a slot head which you cant really fuck up (you can even use a tip of a knife), most heads are Phillips (x-shape), square or hex. Good screws will likely still allow you to use a slightly smaller size and it'll still work.

But if the screws are crap, you'll strip it if its tight and you twist too hard.

Not recommended for a stripped SSD screw, but let's say you are working on something bigger and got a stripped screw you cant get out. One way to do it is use a power drill and blast it out. You literally grind it away till the head snaps off from the thin part. It may damage the threads in the thing, but you can always rethread it and use a new screw. This is more for open ended holes where the shaft can be taken out from either side after the head is destroyed.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Me when unboxing my OLED by myself:

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor
Not gonna lie. One of the most stressful unboxings ive ever been a part of. Nothing should be that thin. The LG CX's base is incredibly heavy too which makes it far more difficult than simply inserting the stands like you would do in other Sony TVs.

BlackM1st

Banned
Fuck me man, I'm right there with you. That heavy ass base and skinny top half to the screen. 65 inch on my own...pure SWEATING!
Besides, with a base that thick and heavy there's absolutely no reason to make the actual screen so thin. It really doesn't make any sense.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not gonna lie. One of the most stressful unboxings ive ever been a part of. Nothing should be that thin. The LG CX's base is incredibly heavy too which makes it far more difficult than simply inserting the stands like you would do in other Sony TVs.
I had an old plasma which weighed a lot and I didnt want to wait calling a friend or brother to help. I had to pick it up and get its holes into the two prong stand (or the other way around). What a bitch.

rofif

Banned
waaay to easy. Some straight from the factory.
Mine is bent a little when I look at it from the side.
ayDIXyF.jpg

From the top too. No line is straight on this piece of junk lol.
But none of it is visible from the front at all. It's just a bit disappointing and not reassuring.
btw - I did put that sucker on a table and bent it back a bit.
I also opened the back cover to check it out. Super easy to repair if needed but the back panel just holds on 2 screws and a lot of plastic tabs. The tv case can rattle if you give it too much bass lol (I am saying the sound is great but case could use some padding)

Last edited:

GymWolf

waaay to easy. Some straight from the factory.
Mine is bent a little when I look at it from the side.
ayDIXyF.jpg

From the top too. No line is straight on this piece of junk lol.
But none of it is visible from the front at all. It's just a bit disappointing and not reassuring.
I did put that sucker on a table and bent it back a bit. I also opened the back cover to check it out. Super easy to repair if needed but the back panel just holds on 2 screws and a lot of plastic tabs. The tv case can rattle if you give it too much bass lol
Never had this problem tbh.

ParaSeoul

Love how this just turned into an how hard it was to set up an LG OLED thread but for real why design it to be so bottom heavy,the sony oleds have the the right idea having most of the back be the component box,my C1 didn't get bent because I started lifting again the previous weeks just to set up it up
thickness-large.jpg

back-large.jpg

rofif

Banned
Love how this just turned into an how hard it was to set up an LG OLED thread but for real why design it to be so bottom heavy,the sony oleds have the the right idea having most of the back be the component box,my C1 didn't get bent because I started lifting again the previous weeks just to set up it up
thickness-large.jpg

back-large.jpg
yeah I plan to "retire" my current 48" c1 to the living room to replace 2008 42" bravia.
So around arpil/may I will be deciding to get either c2 or sony

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I had a razer laptop for a while. Wanted to add another m.2 drive, had the right bits (ifixit set) still managed to mangle the fucking screws. even tryed to drill them off and replace them, no luck. Just returned the entire mess.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I had a razer laptop for a while. Wanted to add another m.2 drive, had the right bits (ifixit set) still managed to mangle the fucking screws. even tryed to drill them off and replace them, no luck. Just returned the entire mess.
Yeah, I swear they use clay soft metal... on purpose.

Top Bottom