• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stripped the screw inside my PS5

419O3c0-1HL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

These are the correct answers. Screws on just about everything these days are practically made out of warm cheese. You always gotta use the right side screwdriver that fits in correctly or else you run a good chance of stripping everything.

As far as the bent panels go.....I'm not even going to check my brand new C1 65". I'm just going to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have this problem on my launch Vita, I stripped one of the screws when trying to take it apart to replace a dodgy analogue stick. I still haven't figured out how to remove the little bastard.

Also getting an LG C1 this week, and now thanks to this thread I'm paranoid of it being bent.

Aenima

I wouldn't say the PS5 is junk but they really didn't think this through. You should never have to take apart a console to expand storage (at least PC's are made for that). At least the XSX has the easy port on the back.
PS3, PS4 and PS5 just like a PC was also made to be easy to replace the HDD/SSD. If you enjoy being ripped off by proprietary crap, thats on you.
Maybe watch a video of someone swapping the PS5 SSD before posting.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
waaay to easy. Some straight from the factory.
Mine is bent a little when I look at it from the side.
ayDIXyF.jpg

From the top too. No line is straight on this piece of junk lol.
But none of it is visible from the front at all. It's just a bit disappointing and not reassuring.
btw - I did put that sucker on a table and bent it back a bit.
I also opened the back cover to check it out. Super easy to repair if needed but the back panel just holds on 2 screws and a lot of plastic tabs. The tv case can rattle if you give it too much bass lol (I am saying the sound is great but case could use some padding)
I'm too distracted by your beautiful cable management to give a shit about the TV

As for screws, it's not because people use the wrong tools. They always use the shittiest screws possible to bring down costs. Chinese off-brands don't just cover brands, they do alloys as well.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm too distracted by your beautiful cable management to give a shit about the TV

As for screws, it's not because people use the wrong tools. They always use the shittiest screws possible to bring down costs. Chinese off-brands don't just cover brands, they do alloys as well.
omg thank you kindly !
True. I once bought some cheap screwdriver bits and these lasted maybe 3-5 uses. Super soft.
If I can brag a tiny bit more - here is the setup from the front ! Wish to move to smaller case but don't want to sacrifice temperatures and rebuy matx motherboard.
voSnMlQ.jpg

Last edited:
I accidently stripped the screw that holds the SSD in place and it is now sort of stuck in there. It works perfectly well if for some reason I have to change or need to replace my console in the future is there a way to safely get it out?
Drill it out, that's the only way.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wouldn't say the PS5 is junk but they really didn't think this through. You should never have to take apart a console to expand storage (at least PC's are made for that). At least the XSX has the easy port on the back.
Better than special cartridge shaped ssd...

Soodanim

Gold Member
omg thank you kindly !
True. I once bought some cheap screwdriver bits and these lasted maybe 3-5 uses. Super soft.
If I can brag a tiny bit more - here is the setup from the front ! Wish to move to smaller case but don't want to sacrifice temperatures and rebuy matx motherboard.
voSnMlQ.jpg
I love it. Very clean. I need a mechanical keyboard and a new chair, I even need a small rug to keep my feet off the cold flooring.

Is that Ikea Kallax with customised shelf height to fit the PS5 in? With a hand I've definitely seen in an Ikea before

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I love it. Very clean. I need a mechanical keyboard and a new chair, I even need a small rug to keep my feet off the cold flooring.

Is that Ikea Kallax with customised shelf height to fit the PS5 in? With a hand I've definitely seen in an Ikea before
oh the rug is essential lol.
Yeah. That's just a simple Kallax. I made new holes and moved the shelf higher. Have room for only 1 more game lol. Guess I will start moving ps4 games lower.
The cabinet below is also full of 360 games. It's not even plugged lol

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just ordered a 980 pro on Black Friday. Is the screw already in the ps5 with the mounting bracket?

just waiting for it to arrive with a heatsink.

skit_data

Look at the screw diameter and length and get a new one.

I don’t understand why one wouldn’t use proper tools/apply proper pressure for stuff like this.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Look at the screw diameter and length and get a new one.

I don’t understand why one wouldn’t use proper tools/apply proper pressure for stuff like this.
Fair point.

But good quality screws you dont have to have the exact size down to the millimeter or 1/16th of an inch. Depending on the shape, you dont even need to use the same head type if the screws are hard as rock quality. Different size Phillips can work. I've even used the tip of knives as a substitute slot screwdriver.

I've put together my fair share of Ikea shit with that god awful allen key. As bargain basement quality Ikea stuff is where just about everything is made out of plywood, I never had a stripped hex ever even though the hex shape looks pretty close to a circle which you'd think would easily strip smooth.

So even their $40 plywood bookcases have strong screw quality.

Last edited:

Tschumi

the screws they used are dollar store quality.
I personally think this is the case, and not just for sony.. the only screws i ever had that had any integrity are on my alienware laptop from 2017.. it's just another way to shorten the perceived lifespan of consoles for the average owner, it seems to me

Top Bottom