• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strong Cyberpunk sales drive record Q3 financial results for CD Projekt and planning more transmedia projects like Cyberpunk Edgerunners

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The company achieve record results for its third financial quarter ended on September 30, CD Projekt said today.

“In terms of financials, this was the best third quarter in our entire history. With consolidated revenues at 246 million PLN [$54.6m]– mostly owing to strong sales of Cyberpunk–the Group posted 99 million PLN [$21.3m] in net profit,” said chief financial officer Piotr Nielubowicz.

“This translates into a net profitability of 40% for the whole Group, and a whopping 47% for the CD Projekt Red segment.

“We carry on with intensive development work on the Cyberpunk expansion, as well as on other projects,” he added.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyberpunk Edgerunners was released in mid-September and was a hit for both the streaming platform and CD Projekt, which has partly attributed a recent increase in Cyberpunk 2077 sales to the success of the show.

During its third quarter earnings call on Monday, CD Projekt was asked if it’s planning a second season of Cyberpunk Edgerunners for Netflix.

“We are not confirming any specific plans [for a] second season of Edgerunners or anything super specifically”, said Michał Nowakowski, CD Projekt’s SVP of business development.

But, he added, “we have an appetite to do more in the transmedia [space], so in linear visual animation or live action, and those plans have not changed, so when we are ready you may expect to see more announcements in that regard coming from us”.

Strong Cyberpunk 2077 sales drove record third quarter financial results for CD Projekt, the company announced on Monday.

The open-world RPG saw a spike in player numbers in September coinciding with the launch of its major 1.6 patch, a half-price discount on Steam, and the Cyberpunk Edgerunners release.

According to CD Projekt’s chief financial officer Piotr Nielubowicz, Edgerunners hit Netflix’s top 10 lists in 19 countries, and “the popularity of the anime series, along with positive reception of the update, visibly affected unit sales of Cyberpunk”.

CD Projekt Red‘s Japan country manager Satoru Honma recently said there were no plans to continue the story of Cyberpunk Edgerunners, which was co-developed by the game studio and Japanese animation outfit Studio Trigger.

“I personally would like to continue to work with Japanese studios to produce more anime in the future, partly because we have received very good feedback,” Satoru Honma told Famitsu.

“However, just to be clear, Cyberpunk: Edgerunners was planned as a standalone work, so there’s no such thing as ‘we are actually working on Season 2 in the background’.

“Even if we could make more anime in the future, I don’t know if it would be Season 2 or something completely different.”

Happy to see them and Cyberpunk doing well. I'm up for any more Cyberpunk related content. I think it's far too late to hope for a second expansion and we still are to see what we get with Phantom Liberty.

Some people will never get over what happened with the last gen console versions and I'm not defending CDPR. They should've handled it way better. Have to give them credit for sticking with the game and improving it. They could've noped out and moved right onto Witcher. Cyberpunk world is too damn good to give up and I'm happy to see people coming around to it.

It's a long way off but I can't wait to see the Cyberpunk sequel. Still got plenty of time to enjoy 2077 with the expansion coming.

april6e

It's a shame developers like CD Projekt Red don't make their games more mod friendly. Cyberpunk is absolutely one of those games that 8 years from now, it could be considered on the level of Skyrim because the community took over as the developers finished development, fixed all the issues, added a ton of content via mods and made the game incredible.

Last edited:
It's a shame developers like CD Projekt Red don't make their games more mod friendly. Cyberpunk is absolutely one of those games that 8 years from now, it could be considered on the level of Skyrim because the community took over as the developers finished development, fixed all the issues, added a ton of content via mods and made the game incredible.
Didn't they release modding tools for Cyberpunk?

edit: yeah they did. https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/modding-support

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Glad they are not going under so maybe they can make a better game but I'm not that happy to see an open world that doesn't even have AI do well.

The gameplay is just so bad I hope this isn't a new trend.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Cyberpunk Edgerunners made someone like me who not is fan of WRPG play CP2077, which what good adaptation should do.

In the end I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would but I wish it was less buggy and I wish it much more in to Cyberpsychosis rather than collectable mission in the game.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Let’s see the stock price today, they are up +23% in 6 months but have been dropping all last week leading to the quarterly results.

tvdaXD

Amazing, can't wait for more! But please CD Projekt RED, actually release the games and DLC when it's ready! Fuck those corpo's and their unrealistic expectations.

SJRB

Gold Member
Edgerunners is so fucking sick. Whoever came up with the idea of making an anime and how that turned out deserves a medal.

Not only did Trigger deliver an incredible show that is amazingly truthful to the source material, it subsequently skyrocketed the game's overall popularity. Alongside the patches, the next-gen upgrade and Edgerunners, the legs on Cyberpunk 2077 are amazing.

What a ride.

vpance

They should probably just go ahead and make the sequel in anime style. The show seems to have saved its rep.

SSfox

Edgerunners is so fucking sick. Whoever came up with the idea of making an anime and how that turned out deserves a medal.

Not only did Trigger deliver an incredible show that is amazingly truthful to the source material, it subsequently skyrocketed the game's overall popularity. Alongside the patches, the next-gen upgrade and Edgerunners, the legs on Cyberpunk 2077 are amazing.

What a ride.
It's crazy to think that the Anime helped to boost the game more than Keanu Reeves.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's crazy to think that the Anime helped to boost the game more than Keanu Reeves.
I liked Johnny as a character but I’m not sure it really needed Keanu Reeves face to make the character work.

and it’s not like CP2077 had the best tech like Death Stranding to capture the actors likeness, this became very obvious every time Johnny takes his glasses off, there was just something off about his eyes.

Last edited:

Fake

Glad they back to the game. All those free patches are here to be praised.

Can't wait for give the Witcher 1 remake a go.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Let’s see the stock price today, they are up +23% in 6 months but have been dropping all last week leading to the quarterly results.
Quoting myself, stick is down 5% in one day. My guess there was something in the overall results that the investors didn’t like, probably their weak pipeline going forward and no GAAS games.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Ill give them credit, i was their harshest critic but they put the work in and made it right (mostly). But even still, this fucking game should have been delayed to 2022. Imagine if it launched in a state where everyone loved it?

Top Bottom