• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio MDHR would love to make a Zelda game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The upcoming June issue of Nintendo Force (available in print for as low as $4.99 until June 23rd) features an interview with Maja, Chad, and Jared Moldenhauer, the "heads" of Studio MDHR, developers of Cuphead. Considering how many times the three of them have been interviewed in the past, it's amazing how many new insights they were able to share with us. For example, did you know that from their estimations, fans have only found 20% of all of Cuphead's secrets? With the Delicious Last Course DLC sure to bring even more hidden gems along with it, that count is sure to only get lower in the months ahead.

Still, the bit of the interview that probably hit me the hardest is when they told me their dreams to make a new Zelda game. With Cadence of Hyrule and Cuphead dominating the Switch eShop charts right now, it's easy to imagine putting the two together for an instant success, but that's thinking small. Jared has much bigger plans, like "...a sprawling Zelda title brought to life in a doting 2D hand-animated style...Think of all the expressiveness and life you could bring to the tribes, people, and enemies of a universe that rich! And much like Cuphead, we would get to test our design mettle coming up with screen-filling bosses of an entirely different nature. Of course, backgrounds would be completely hand-painted with nothing re-used! The list just goes on and on. It would be an absolute dream come true."

data_jack

Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons remake NAOW. Just imagine this style again with dev tweaks:
R-8118719-1543114690-7986.jpeg.jpg

Barnabot

I can see how great could be, but needs to change the direction of a "normal" Zelda, or it will cost like a bagilion dollars because of time and people
It could be the art style I've expected from the "A Link to The Past Remake" should have: a 2D top-down or even isometric gameplay perspective.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
ok you can use

zelda oracle of ages
zelda oracle of seasons
a link to the past
a link between worlds
minish cap

good luck

dirthead

Banned
With Nintendo releasing a Zelda game every 3 months and indies releasing clones every 3 weeks, that market's saturated. Cuphead covered a genre that had fallen out of favor and people largely ignore.

It would have made more sense if they had done the art for Streets of Rage 4. They should do something that we're NOT going to get otherwise.

An update to the Oracle games in their style would be amazing, though I don't want Zelda to become oversaturated.

We all learned that the hard way with Star Wars.

DonF

Just make a zelda like game. Swords of ditto looks great. Cuphead art is amazing, they could develop something better than ditto.

Neff

A western Zelda by a respective developer? Im all for that. Capcpom isnt exactly one of my favorite studios but holy shit i loved the oracles and minish cap.

Capcom or PlatinumGames could do Zelda justice, I'm sure. You're right, Oracles and the Minish Cap were great, so much so that several key staff from those games were invited to join Nintendo full time.

I don't think the location of the developers is important, just their passion and respect for a game. Look at Sonic Mania, made by an Australian and Americans but arguably more authentic than the recent Japanese titles.

It's not simply the location, it's the design philosophy, aesthetic preference, and general values that typically comes with it. Japan's games industry's values are largely different to the Western games industry. And Zelda has a really unique flavour.

I felt Mania was a really good face value impersonation of Sonic's 16bit/32bit era, but it lacked the authentic Sonic Team feeling, despite a lot of Japanese staff working on it.

mortal

Gold Member
If they collaborated with the Japanese Zelda team, that would be so dope.

I could see it becoming one of the most visually striking Zelda entries if it ever happened.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
tbh i would rather them make a 2D platformer. side scrolling rather than top down. their artwork is so beautiful, if it were all top-down that would be a shame, as bad as i want a hand animated TLOZ.

G-Bus

Banned
Only if it's all hand drawn. God damn that would be spectacular.

Although the new Zelda kind of scratches that itch I guess a bit.

Top Bottom