• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in 2009, a study finds that women are more hardcore gamers than men.

Narasumas

south-park-season-23-episode-7-board-girls-scaled.jpg

Saber

Gold Member
For me it's aways welcome girls can take interest on gaming and feel like they want to invest on it as a hobby. But lol, making those great and stupid statements as if its a competition between men and women and using old ass studies only reinforces that most of them got no interest at all and are only in this for the clicks and "gotcha" type of remarks.

Last edited:
All I need to know about "female gamers" I learned from Kate Bush. When asked why all her songs are mostly written from the point of view of a Man, she replied "I love the way you can take a Man to a toy shop and immediately he becomes a little innocent boy again and that's something Women just cant do".

Man, I fucking love Kate Bush.

That's a strident magnificent Women right there. In touch with her feminism, bit still totally respectful of Men.

This one is about a washed up gay actor, hence the line about hitting the Vaseline. Naughty Kate. #cancelbush

Like the rest of GAF tonight I am also drunk.

Hic.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
All I need to know about "female gamers" I learned from Kate Bush. When asked why all her songs are mostly written from the point of view of a Man, she replied "I love the way you can take a Man to a toy shop and immediately he becomes a little innocent boy again and that's something Women just cant do".

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

That's a strident magnificent Women right there.

Like the rest of GAF tonight I am also drunk.

Hic.

You can also make the argument for Olivia Newton John, although I wouldn't;

Hellmaker

Setting aside the fact that gender has nothing to do with how hardcore one is at anything. Women can absolutely be more hardcore gamers than men (and plenty are). It depends on the individual, not on some abstract statistic.

That being said, this study is the typical case of a completely ignorant approach to a field of research that one knows nothing about, and a completely ignorant approach by mainstream media to reporting about video games (which is a field they know nothing at all about).

This study is extremely flawed as it takes into consideration a SINGLE game. And not only that. It considers only a rather unpopular MMORPG, which makes it a limited case study within what is already a skewed niche. No one with an ounce of brains in the skull would consider Everquest II representative of MMORPGs as a whole, let alone a massive and varied environment as gaming. It has NO parameter that makes it an ideal representation of either of those fields.

This was likely a case of bored researchers that know zero of the field study that got access to the data from a game they knew zero about, and thought "oh! It's a game! it must be representative of all games! We can use this to earn our wage for this semester since gaming is a popular topic. Hurray!"

Considering a single game for this kind of study is silly, because different games cater to different crowds. For instance, Everquest II is known for its very comprehensive and engaging housing system, which is one of the very few things for which people still play it.

Consider different games or even different MMOs, and you'll get entirely different results, likely swinging both ways. So, besides the fact that making this kind of study is silly to begin with, basing it on a single arbitrarily picked game is the climax of ignorance.
Nope EVERYTHING must be as polarized as possible these days!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have heard a lot more degrading comments from females about video games and especially the people who play them. I’ve heard way more complaints from female spouses. This reality just doesn’t exist in my life.

I think this stuff is all based upon age and the fact that they probably don’t have kids yet. That’s just a wild guess.

Many men identify as women when they pick their characters in games

I'm very introverted and I always pick male. Picking a female character to me is like playing with a Barbie doll as a child instead of that Rescue Hero and those Bionical toys.

90's marvel animated series action figures were handed down to me. :messenger_beaming: I had Spiderman, Green Goblin, and Doctor Octopus. OH! and I think Wolverine was in that toy bin somewhere. :messenger_beaming:

Azurro

Banned
Also.

The ordinary people of US of A is known for being dumb, clueless and ignorant.

Also: 2009

Yup, like Abriael_GN Abriael_GN said, the study is bs. But I can see why they did it like this, they started with a conclusion and worked their way backwards from it. You couldn't find something less scientific if you tried.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
ABC News: Women Gamers More Hard-Core Than Men

Picture in your mind a hard-core video gamer, and 27-year-old Christina Winterburn may not be the first person who comes to mind. But Winterburn, a blogger for theGirlGamer.net and a gamer since the age of 6, says she feels no guilt about gaming and that playing video games is one of her favorite activities with her boyfriend.

I am not sure why the percentage of female gamers has increased so much in my lifetime, but it's a welcome trend. Part of it may be that while not many females can compete with their male peers in physical (strength/speed) contests, mental and reflex-based contests offer a pretty level playing field.
clint-eastwood.gif

Apart from the derail. Most of US GAF is probably reeling from the British musical greatness. I hear you, so let's hear it for Kate's little cousin Tori. Cornflake Girl was on point. And no one can orgasm over a piano like this girl.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Hardcore gamers tend to be complex developers also, casual gamers have low trophy and gamer scores

ZehDon

Picture in your mind a hard-core video gamer, and 27-year-old Christina Winterburn may not be the first person who comes to mind. But Winterburn, a blogger for theGirlGamer.net and a gamer since the age of 6, says she feels no guilt about gaming and that playing video games is one of her favorite activities with her boyfriend.

I am not sure why the percentage of female gamers has increased so much in my lifetime, but it's a welcome trend. Part of it may be that while not many females can compete with their male peers in physical (strength/speed) contests, mental and reflex-based contests offer a pretty level playing field.
Why are we still giving a platform to this kind of blatant patriarchal embedded internalised misogyny in 2021?

/s
In all seriousness, the irony of men are ridiculed for playing games while a ratio increase in the number of women participating in it should not be lost on anyone.

Last edited:

Xenon

I'm very introverted and I always pick male. Picking a female character to me is like playing with a Barbie doll as a child instead of that Rescue Hero and those Bionical toys.

90's marvel animated series action figures were handed down to me. :messenger_beaming: I had Spiderman, Green Goblin, and Doctor Octopus. OH! and I think Wolverine was in that toy bin somewhere. :messenger_beaming:

Yeah we played with action figures not dolls! But I never have an issue playing as a female character in games.

TLZ

Banned

Well this make this article even funnier.

A former coworker would play candy crush in between her patients. Hardcore. She would chart incredibly fast and then immediately go back to candy crush all day every day.

Study harder.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
There are a lot of "shadow" female gamers out there that are not as visible because they don't go to conventions, they don't post on forum threads, and they don't hang out in gaming stores all weekend.

genre-gender-percentages.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom