• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Stupid Mistakes by Nintendo

levyjl1988

Jan 31, 2010
Canada, Toronto
What are some stupid mistakes by Nintendo?
These include decisions that don’t make any sense, decisions that feel far off from fans expectations and desire that never lined up, etc.
Again this isn’t a I hate Nintendo topic, but rather the questioning the bizzare decisions and executions by them.

Here’s my list.

1. Never releasing Ambassador games on the eShop for purchase for 3DS.

2. Not including Super Mario Galaxy 2 in Super Mario 3D All Stars.

3. Not making Nintendo Switch Lite dockable and connect to TV. My Switch Lite is my primary switch. I have an original Switch but I keep that docked, it feels too large to be portable and prefer the Switch Lite, I wish that I can get the small portability of the Switch Lite and be able to dock it. But again Nintendo makes Nintendo decisions that don’t aid the players.

4. Not pushing franchises like Star Fox, F-Zero, Earthbound, etc. They are not giving it the Marvel treatment and innovating, but instead having these franchises die in the past.

5. No Nintendo Switch Pro that improves load times.

6. Making limited quantities when there is high demand and never meeting those demands and never reprinting them. They seem to fail in both quantities and distribution. eg) limited stock for Gamecube adapters and not releasing another wave of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 physical copies when Xenoblade 2 became popular due to Smash Bros.

7. Not doing enough for out of the box character customization. When Animal Crossing New Horizons came out there were a ton of quality of life improvements, such improvements were the ability to customize your character out of the gate. Previous Animal Crossing games locked customization through vague quizzes which were stupid. More games should offer more character customization options from the very start. Then again this is up to developer decisions.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
The naming of the Wii and Wii-U, that someone pitched that name and others greenlit it is amazing to me.
I guess you could make the argument that the Wii pushed tons of units, but I don't think it was the name that sold them.

Wii was a fantastic name, everyone knew what a Wii was. Wii U was the single biggest mistake they've ever made. Some of the worst marketing in industry history, nobody knew what the fuck that thing was.

AJUMP23

Sep 29, 2020
Backstabbing Sony to work with Phillips for a failed CD add on for the SNES. This eventually led Sony producing their own console and pretty much dethrone Nintendo for many years.
Nintendo created the playstation, then got their market-share eaten by it. Yamauchi's Foley.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Jun 22, 2013
Canada, Québec
Making their online infrastructure less appealing from WiiU to Switch.

No new earthbound even though They KNOW fans have been wanting it for so long.

Kid Ikarus Uprising 2 should be a thing by now.

No theme on Switch, it's secondary but all these little things end up making the system feel barebone.

cireza

Jun 1, 2014
Their greatest success : the Zelda CDI games.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Feb 22, 2021
Regarding XC2, the collectors edition was on sale for $70-80 a year after the game came out.

Sucks for smash people, but everyone had their chance to buy the game. You can still buy it digitally.

Niche games like Xenoblade and SMT don't deserve to only be locked to the Nintendo fan base, which largely ignores these great games and instead will buy another bad Pokémon game.

Jan 14, 2018
Use the cartridge and not CD or the fail launch of the disk drive in N64 to América.

The existence of Expansion pak in N64...

The controller pak in N64...

Dont Bring many japanese games wii to América... Like Disaster day of crisis.

Gamecube using mini óptical disc and not DVD.

Lock región in Gamecube, wii, Wii u.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Dec 21, 2020
Making like one game a year.
Yeah, i mean covid right? But there output doesnt seem to have picked back up yet. And the holiday offerings this year feel decidedly low effort compared to 2018’s smash ultimate, 2017’s mario odyssey, and 2019’s links awakening and luigis mansion

Holammer

Jan 3, 2019
Backstabbing Sony to work with Phillips for a failed CD add on for the SNES. This eventually led Sony producing their own console and pretty much dethrone Nintendo for many years.
It was a very Nintendo thing to do at the time with a gangster like Yamauchi.
Yes, another stupid mistake from his reign (which actually worked) was "Only For Nintendo", it was anti-competitive and ugly.

carlosrox

May 19, 2020
BOTW's soundtrack/audio mix. And I say that with all respect. I don't hate it, but I found it to be a big letdown. And the mix has the music volume way too low, along with all the sounds as well.

I could make a similar complaint about Metroid Dread's soundtrack but I don't feel as strongly about it. I think it works well enough. But I do have a strong complaint about the credits music. Totally killed my vibe after such an amazing finale. Totally wrong tone and the instrumentation was just a really poor use of midi. WHY.

• Triggered
Reactions: Shaqazooloo
Oct 26, 2018
Trying to do their own thing too much.

During the 8 and 16 bit days, all Nintendo did was release a good system with good controls and gamers loved it and got tons of third party games. N64 and GC come around and despite $199 systems people didn't bother so much and flocked to Sony systems which had larger capacity media to make awesome games.

Wii cemented their ultra casual image with a low powered system so then third party devs avoided it like the plague except for shovelware. Combined low powered systems lately (Switch) and the lack of AAA third party games and they are budget systems.

If this was the NES and SNES days, it would be a solid system, great first party games and the best third party support. The best of everything. It would be like a modern day Nintendo system that was as powerful as Xbox and PS5, but had Mario and Zelda, and also top notch editions of COD, GTA, Ass Creed, Metal Gear, FF etc.....

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Rat Rage

Aug 13, 2019
What are some stupid mistakes by Nintendo?

The sheer thought of it exhausts me mentally.

Let's put it this way... Nintendo is tremendously lucky to have the best videogame developers in the world. These amazingly talented and passionate people carried Nintendo from the very beginning and continue to do so.

Objectively speaking, all the rest, starting from the marketing teams up to the higher ups, have done more harm to the company than good over the decades.

Were it not for soul of Nintendo, in other words their reference level video game developers (with their continued support over the years), Nintendo would have probably been out of business already, because the amount of downright retarded business decisions by their corporate side in the past is just crazy.

However, with the Switch they've been on a good path so far, but let's see if they'll be able to keep it this way in the future as well.

InfiniteCombo

Jan 26, 2014
These are some Nintendo stats from Wikipedia:

Revenue ¥1.759 trillion (2021)
Operating income ¥640.634 billion (2021)
Net income ¥480.376 billion (2021)
Total assets ¥2.447 trillion (2021)
Total equity ¥1.875 trillion (2021)

Have Nintendo done things I don't like? Plenty. But given the numbers above, I wouldn't call Nintendo's cumulative actions "stupid" or say they're "mistakes" in any way.

Woopah

Jun 15, 2019
Making like one game a year.

Yeah, i mean covid right? But there output doesnt seem to have picked back up yet. And the holiday offerings this year feel decidedly low effort compared to 2018’s smash ultimate, 2017’s mario odyssey, and 2019’s links awakening and luigis mansion
They are one of the most prolific publishers in the industry.

They've only just recovered from COVID but even this year they are publishing 10 games in the West (not including ports)

Umbasaborne

Dec 21, 2020
They are one of the most prolific publishers in the industry.

They've only just recovered from COVID but even this year they are publishing 10 games in the West (not including ports)
But the size and scope of these games are significantly smaller than say a mario odyssey, zelda, or luigis mansion 3. Id wager that it was cheaper and easier to produce warioware and this new pokemon game than those afformentioned games. I will give them credit for metroid dread
Though. That game definitely didnt feel or look cheap.

Bragr

Jun 24, 2020
3. Not making Nintendo Switch Lite dockable and connect to TV. My Switch Lite is my primary switch. I have an original Switch but I keep that docked, it feels too large to be portable and prefer the Switch Lite, I wish that I can get the small portability of the Switch Lite and be able to dock it. But again Nintendo makes Nintendo decisions that don’t aid the players.

4. Not pushing franchises like Star Fox, F-Zero, Earthbound, etc. They are not giving it the Marvel treatment and innovating, but instead having these franchises die in the past.

5. No Nintendo Switch Pro that improves load times.
I don't think these are mistakes. For the Switch lite it's important to keep the price down and make it different than the original Switch. Adding dock would make it more expensive and dilute it.

Franchises like Star Fox has been pushed, but it never worked out. F-Zero and Earthbound are worse, they just don't sell enough. They can make one half-ass Mario Party and sell 10 times than any of those games. In terms of quality though, yeah, it sucks, but it's not really a mistake for their business.

Switch Pro with SSD would cost too much and be comparable to Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 prices. I don't think it's a mistake, it's reserved for the future. The Switch OLED seems like the correct way to go.

Last edited:

Woopah

Jun 15, 2019
But the size and scope of these games are significantly smaller than say a mario odyssey, zelda, or luigis mansion 3. Id wager that it was cheaper and easier to produce warioware and this new pokemon game than those afformentioned games. I will give them credit for metroid dread
Though. That game definitely didnt feel or look cheap.
Metroid Dread is definitely the standout for them this year, but I did enjoy New Snap and have heard good things about Warioware, Bravely Default 2 and Mario Party Superstars.
That said there is a clear quality gap between pre-pandemic and post-pandemic. I guess the bigger a project was the more of a delay COVID caused.

Thankfully they seem to be back to their "1 game a month" level of output and 2022 looks very promising just from what we know so far .

Deerock71

Sep 3, 2021
Now I love the Gamecube, but Nintendo did so much wrong with it's image. Hmmm, where to begin?

Little purple lunchbox
Handle
Tiny, kid-friendly discs
Perfect controller...WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ONE TRIGGER BUTTON WTF?!?!?

Kataploom

Jan 30, 2014
Colombia
Those are things you don't like, OP, not Nintendo mistakes, they just took decisions based on their interests and that seems to pay off. Mistakes could be Panasonic deal in the 90s... if it wasn't for that shit, they wouldn't be so overprotective these days, and heck even that's carried too far was a mistake since they barely took advantage of the strength of their IPs apart from their own games

Mario 64 on 3d allstars being inferior to the one on there 64 expansion
Da fuq? Texture and text quality yells the opposite to me, have you actually SEEN them?

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
The WiiU, all of it.

"Let's name it almost the same as our current console so people really struggle to get if it's a new product, an accessory or an upgrade"
"Let's make a reveal presentation where it's intentionally unclear what the product actually is. If even games media isn't sure if it's an accessory or a whole new system I'm sure regular customers will get it"".
"Let's make it strong enough to so we can finally catch up with the Ps3 and 360.... in 2012.... a year before a whole new gen that's going to make our system substantially under powered again"
"More core gamers are sure to make the jump to our system when they see WiiU is getting single entries from franchises like Mass Effect and Arkham which are available in their entirety on the devices they already own".
"The gamepad has shitty battery life, looks like it was designed at fisher price and has such a short range it can only really be used in the same room as the console? Perfect!".

fart town usa

May 31, 2009
www.youtube.com
Closing down the Miiverse.
Pushing the Wii for far too long. I don't know if the Wii U would have been more successful earlier in the PS3/360 gen but Nintendo was public enemy # 1 when the Wii U released, and for good reason too.
Rubber Band AI in MK:Wii (and in MK8 though it's infinitely more tolerable in MK8)
Price gouging
Horrible support with legacy titles
Lack of VC, the online subscription model is a total joke
Dragging their heels on basic things that people expect
Switch Lite, no multiplayer, no docking. Seriously, WTF is the point of that model? It's not even that much smaller than a regular Switch.

The list could go on and on and many of those things apply to other consoles makers when it comes to legacy title support.

I'm a total fanboy of the Wii U but Nintendo as a whole just rubs me the wrong way. The Switch feels like complete shit in my hands with the ridiculous joy cons and the tiny buttons, etc. The console is an effing mess to navigate too. On the rare instance that I boot it up to play multiplayer with the wife, the system never seems to have the joy cons link correctly, or they're responding in a way that has the controller being upright rather than sideways. The Switch just irritates the shit out of me whenever it's in my hands and it's honestly probably my least favorite console of all time. I just really have no interest in putting any time into it. For whatever reason I harbor an unhealthy distaste for it, it's weird.

Nintendo was such a powerhouse and set the standard for a few years in the 90s and I'll always unfairly hold them to that. Modern Nintendo does nothing for me. Sure, I'll buy some of their games here and there but I'll never be a fan of theirs like I used to be. They just annoy me more than anything now with the shit they do to their fans.

Reactions: Malcolm9

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Jan 1, 2009
Jim.
You say that now as they play in a market with no competition, but with the wii u they listened to nobody and how did that go?
I don’t think that apart from hardcore Nintendo fans, anyone listened to Nintendo about what the Wii-U actually was. It wasn’t a new pad for the Wii lol

Reactions: Deerock71

rubenburgt

Feb 14, 2015
* Refused adding a backlight in Gameboys for a very long time.
* Closing Miiverse because social media exist.
* Nintendo 64DD
* Current nintendo 64 on switch.

Last edited: