• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sucker Punch Working On Unannounced Open-World Stealth Game

Bullet Club

Sucker Punch Working On Unannounced Open-World Stealth Game​

Sucker Punch Secretly Working on Ghost of Tsushima 2?

Sucker Punch is one of PlayStation’s most loved studios. It is responsible for various successful games, including the Infamous series, Sly Cooper series, and Ghost of Tsushima, the most prominent names. Based on the success Sucker Punch has had with most of its games, it was inevitable that we would be getting a new game from them soon.

Some job listings on the developer webpage have revealed that Sucker Punch might be returning to the show with a sequel of its open-world samurai adventure game.

On the Sucker Punch website, there were two job postings. For their Bellevue studio, they’re searching for a Technical Combat Designer and a Senior Combat Designer. Notably, applicants must have played previous Sucker Punch titles to be considered.

Ud9DLOl.jpg

rvfXp8r.jpg

Rumors of Ghost of Tsushima 2 had been circulating since the director’s cut for the first game, and it seems like Sucker Punch has started development under our belts without even announcing it.

Recently another opening has been posted by Sucker Punch requiring an Encounter Designer, and they clearly state:

We are looking for an Encounter Designer who knows how to meld interesting layouts and challenging enemies into compelling game encounters. If you have shipped an action or stealth title where you helped make awesome gameplay, please send us your resume.

Furthermore, the job requirements include:

• Deliver interesting and varied encounters in an open-world game, focusing on melee combat and stealth.
  • Use your Level Design or Layout skills to enhance the gameplay experience further
mZFWDdT.jpg

The game being stealthy, open-world AAA with a particular focus on melee combat makes it rather apparent that the game could be a sequel to Ghost of Tsushima. The listing also mentions ‘Enhanced gameplay features’ to increase the experience further.

However, there has been no confirmation or announcement from either Sony or Sucker Punch in this regard. They have been relatively quiet about a possible sequel. But if the job listings do indeed are for Ghost of Tsushima 2, it is safe to assume that the game is currently quite far away from its release.

Or the listings could be about something entirely new and Sucker Punch could be working on a new IP that includes melee combat and stealth. We’ll be sure to keep you updated, so stay tuned.

On that note, do you think the game is a sequel to Ghost of Tsushima or something brand new?

Source: Tech4Gamers

Elios83

Ghost of Tsushima 2 is a given (and I hope they go to mainland Japan with cities in the next game)
The only doubt is if they're going multi team as well and they're also working on a new Sly like some rumors suggested.

RGB'D

It's an open world Sly Cooper stealth game.
I would love this. GoT was easily the worst product from this studio IMO and I hate that they are going to be focusing on it. Hopefully if they are making the sequel, they expand and improve it a lot because i feel like unless you are a huge samurai fan, the game misses the mark. It was in the second area chasing the footprints to find bad guys again that I put it down for good. Would love a new IP or to revisit Infamous or Sly Cooper

Hugare

GOT time period would limit the criativity with gadgets and etc

Would still be fun, but I miss Splinter Cell so bad, man ...

Conviction/Blacklist were my favorite co op experiences of all time, and remains untouched

Ubi have been sleeping on the oportunity to make an open world Splinter Cell for so long

They make freaking Wildlands, but never bothered to try to copy MGS V. Wild.

Make an awesome stealth open world game and eat Ubi's launch, Sony

Last edited:

Calverz

Let me guess….lots of creeping around in perfectly tall grass waiting on enemy to turn back before doing a stealth kill and various skill trees to add exp into.

I wish developers would stop looking at open world games as the be all and end all. I’d much rather they made something more compact and meaningful.

Pelta88

Infamous Second Son changed the game via Photo Mode.

People went wild and photo mode became a form of advertising in and of itself.

jaysius

Banned
Open-world stealth game? To do it right you'd really want a high level of interactive objects in the world, kind of like Hitman, Sucker Punch doesn't make their open worlds like that.

Larry Reaction GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Well, it could be Sly or in a small (real tiny) chance be a new more melee-focused Infamous game. However, highly doubt it's not a sequel to Ghost of Tsushima.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I dont know how GoT2 would work, historically speaking. Didnt it cover the whole mongol invasion? And wasn't the second invasion a complete failure?

Boy bawang

GoT was such a strange beast. A beautiful game for sure, but I couldn't care enough to even finish it.

I hope that they will move on to something else, though I doubt it.

GymWolf

Lol, stealth in tsushima was pretty trash, they are better with actions games.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
GoT isn't really a stealth game though, it's an action game with stealth elements. I absolutely love it though, and will buy a sequel day -42.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
How would you make stealth better?
have actually intelligent AI that's not retarded and stealth mechanics that are actually realistic? When i sneak up on an enemy, they shouldn't be completely blind to me even when i'm moving at a pace where my footsteps are clearly audible.
Also, make it not open world. Frankly, outside of MGS5, all open world stealth games feel like games that could have been executed FAR better in a linear fashion. Stealth works when you're able to take advantage of intricately designed environments. Open worlds are not intricately designed, most of the time.

have actually intelligent AI that's not retarded and stealth mechanics that are actually realistic? When i sneak up on an enemy, they shouldn't be completely blind to me even when i'm moving at a pace where my footsteps are clearly audible.

So basically remove stealth? Because stealth does not actually exist realistically speaking. Unless you're absolutely deaf you can always hear anyone behind you sneaking. You guys are ridiculous. Stealth games need to have a certain degree of AI stupidity to actually work, else there can be no stealth or no ones gonna bother. You can make them detect you faster sure, but realistic? Rofl.

Swift_Star

Banned
Also, make it not open world. Frankly, outside of MGS5, all open world stealth games feel like games that could have been executed FAR better in a linear fashion. Stealth works when you're able to take advantage of intricately designed environments. Open worlds are not intricately designed, most of the time.
No one wants realism in games. That’s boring and annoying.

GymWolf

So basically remove stealth? Because stealth does not actually exist realistically speaking. Unless you're absolutely deaf you can always hear anyone behind you sneaking. You guys are ridiculous. Stealth games need to have a certain degree of AI stupidity to actually work, else there can be no stealth or no ones gonna bother. You can make them detect you faster sure, but realistic? Rofl.
Yeah but there is a limit on how stupid enemies can be before becoming annoying.

Also, you have difficulty levels like easy, normal or hard, how about making stupid enemies on easy and smart enemies on hard so people who enjoy a realistic challenge can have that.

Yeah but there is a limit on how stupid enemies can be before becoming annoying.

Also, you have difficulty levels like easy, normal or hard, how about making stupid enemies on easy and smart enemies on hard so people who enjoy a realistic challenge can have that.

AI has not been a priority for devs for quite some time now. Hard just makes the detection meter go faster but other than that, in all stealth games, they are as dumb on easy as on hard. I would love for AI to not just stand there waiting for you and always have randomly generated patrols and can always look up as well as below them or in bushes but those priorities are long gone. Too much work to be done to achieve that and the processing power required would prolly be insane considering they also have to program and script the AI to be smart in combat as well.

Last edited:

GymWolf

AI has not been a priority for devs for quite some time now. Hard just makes the detection meter go faster but other than that, in all stealth games, they are as dumb on easy as on hard. I would love for AI to not just stand there waiting for you and always have randomly generated patrols and can always look up as well as above or in bushes but those priorities are long gone.
Yeah, even the supposedly good ia like tlou2 on grounded are still pretty meh and highly exploitable.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, even the supposedly good ia like tlou2 on grounded are still pretty meh and highly exploitable.

It is a balancing act. Too easy and it can get absurd. Too hard and I think it would just take away the fun. Personally, I think games like Ghost and Assassin's Creed do a good job getting the right balance. I do think there could be some tweaks, obviously. I'm playing AC Origins right now and in several instances I've come up on enemies who are guarding a treasure room staring at the wall, back to the door. Pretty stupid.

It is a balancing act. Too easy and it can get absurd. Too hard and I think it would just take away the fun. Personally, I think games like Ghost and Assassin's Creed do a good job getting the right balance. I do think there could be some tweaks, obviously. I'm playing AC Origins right now and in several instances I've come up on enemies who are guarding a treasure room staring at the wall, back to the door. Pretty stupid.

I think Dishonored games and TLOU2 have the best stealth AI tbh.

Top Bottom