• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sucker Punch Working On Unannounced Open-World Stealth Game

GymWolf

It is a balancing act. Too easy and it can get absurd. Too hard and I think it would just take away the fun. Personally, I think games like Ghost and Assassin's Creed do a good job getting the right balance. I do think there could be some tweaks, obviously. I'm playing AC Origins right now and in several instances I've come up on enemies who are guarding a treasure room staring at the wall, back to the door. Pretty stupid.
There is too much to say about this, but let's just say that i'm tired of this bullshit excuse (from devs) when ia in videogames is not even close to be so realistic that it hurts gameplay.

You know what hurt me? Seeing suicidal enemies with zero self awareness being slaughtered with the same 20 years old tricks, and tlou2 is no different, name calling and enemy giving away their search strategy are just cute smoke and mirrors gimmicks to make the ia look smarter than it is, not really intelligent ia, being one of the best of the bunch is not really a great achievement when most games have brain dead ia.

I'm sorry but millions of people play action and stealth games in multy against real people and they have fun with it, single player games ia is not even close to being frustrating if you are not an absolute noob.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So basically remove stealth? Because stealth does not actually exist realistically speaking. Unless you're absolutely deaf you can always hear anyone behind you sneaking. You guys are ridiculous. Stealth games need to have a certain degree of AI stupidity to actually work, else there can be no stealth or no ones gonna bother. You can make them detect you faster sure, but realistic? Rofl.
No, just have a way to stealth kill enemies that doesn't involve sneaking up to them and snapping their neck when no one else is looking
Just look towards the Hitman games for that

Topher

Gold Member
There is too much to say about this, but let's just say that i'm tired of this bullshit excuse when ia in videogames is not even close to be so realistic that it hurts gameplay.

You know what hurt me? Seeing suicidal enemies with zero self awareness being slaughtered with the same old 20 years old tricks, and tlou2 is no different, name calling and enemy giving away their search strategy are just cute smoke and mirrors gimmicks to make the ia look smarter than it is, not really intelligent ia, being one of the best of the bunch is not really a great achievement when most games have brain dead ia.

I'm sorry but millions of people play action and stealth games in multy against real people and they have fun with it, single player games ia is not even close to being frustrating if you are not an absolute noob.

If they can make the AI smart enough and keep the game fun then I'm all for it. I don't play multiplayer so don't know what stealth games against real people you are referring to, but that's one hell of a leap from AI to real people.

vpance

My screenshot button is ready.

julian-calle-concept-001.jpg

Airbus Jr

Banned
Ghost of Tsushima 2 or whatever it is called confirmed then

Infamous doesnt have any stealth features

Last edited:
No, just have a way to stealth kill enemies that doesn't involve sneaking up to them and snapping their neck when no one else is looking
I knew you were going to say Hitman.

How would you implement that design into a Splinter Cell or Syphon Filter game without them essentially becoming carbon copies of Hitman?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I knew you were going to say Hitman.

How would you implement that design into a Splinter Cell or Syphon Filter game without them essentially becoming carbon copies of Hitman?
You just do lol, add more interactivity, ways to distract enemies, mess with the lights, etc
hitman doesn't have any of the story MGS has, or the amazing amount of stealth techniques you can do that splinter has, or whatever syphon filter has (sorry haven't played that game)
they wouldn't be carbon copies and they'd benefit from it since everyone who thinks outside the box benefits for it while everyone who enjoys the basic stealth stuff still wins.

A disguise system? Hitman is one of my fav immersive sim games but that games AI is nothing I'd recommend. You can easily walk in your Hitman suit in fobidden places, crouch in front of them and just act like an idiot and they would hardly notice you but the Hitman games excel at creativity in killing more than stealth.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Tsushima had 3 invasion attempts from the Mongols, then the Japanese attempted an assault on Korea (Mongolia).

Agreed. Saved me a post. Because its mainly a work of fiction, they can do what ever they want with any of those invasions or go to a different time period etc

GymWolf

If they can make the AI smart enough and keep the game fun then I'm all for it. I don't play multiplayer so don't know what stealth games against real people you are referring to, but that's one hell of a leap from AI to real people.
Some tactical shooter or survival with pvp or stuff like deathloop\sniper elite 5 multy modes have some sort of stealth component where you play hide and seek with another player or multiple players, sure is not like the stealth in single player games, but what you have against is 100x smarter and still fun for a ton of people, same for multyplayer shooter.

The thing is, ND has like 5 different level of difficulty in their games, if they are really capable of achieving the IA we saw in tlou1 and 2 reveal or even better, why not making that IA for grounded mode? let the player chose if they want a realistic challenge or not, it's a pretty logical request, isn't?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Some tactical shooter or survival with pvp or stuff like deathloop\sniper elite 5 multy modes have some sort of stealth component where you play hide and seek with another player or multiple players, sure is not like the stealth in single player games, but what you have against is 100x smarter and still fun for a ton of people, same for multyplayer shooter.

The thing is, ND has like 5 different level of difficulty in their games, if they are really capable of achieving the IA we saw in tlou1 and 2 reveal or even better, why not making that IA for grounded mode? let the player chose if they want a realistic challenge or not, it's a pretty logical request, isn't?

Absolutely.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Nothing beats the original Thief
I loved the original Thief with Garret, the Hammer, the sap the water arrow etc. I wouldn't mind a new Ghost of Tsushima with an emphasis on stealth. I really liked GoT but by the second half of the game you're so strong you can just slaughter the mongols camps.

MadPanda

Banned
I hope it's something new but it's probably ghost of tsushima 2. Even though I have a platinum trophy in that game I realized I dislike that game when I tried director's cut. I can't believe I forced myself to get that platinum. What was I thinking?

Bullets-hurt

Neo Member
GoT was sooooo good and it completely nailed the Samurai open-world game. I don't want a sequel at all really because the original gave me everything I needed and don't want more of the same.

Hoping for maybe a western Knight-style game from these clues. That would be really cool.

I liked GoT in theory, and it was beautiful to travel through, but in actual play it was yet another ubi style game where you run around using lenient stealth to check off enemy camps the likes of which I'd already taken down in a million other games. That would be ok if the writing was superb, or if there were some interesting questlines, characters I could love, but there wasn't. It felt kinda superficial in the end. I hope they improve on these aspects.

I'm starting to notice a pattern with these sony open worlds: beautiful looking, cinematic in cutscenes, very polished in presentation, fun core combat mechanics, but repetitive in structure, lacking in variety, boring side content, bland characters and forgettable stories.

Airbus Jr

Banned
im betting on syphon filter. they seem like the studio to revive that series.
Werent the studio that made syphon filter are dead now?

Im betting its gona be the next ghost of tsushima game ( with stealth in description that eradicates the posibility for the next infamous game)

Last edited:
Top Bottom