• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Suicide Squad 2' Lands 'Legend of Tarzan' Writer (Exclusive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never saw that Tarzan movie but this is a bad thing, right? I mean Suicide Squad wasn't great but it wasn't the worst fun/dumb action movie.

The Legend of Tarzan was an utterly forgettable movie. Skarsgard's abs were the only thing that saved it from not being profitable.

shira

I'm expecting the Joker to tear off a Mission Impossible mask and Batman is inside.
Harley Quinn tears off her own Mission Impossible mask and it's Wonder Woman.
Deadshot tears of his own Mission Impossible mask and it's Superman.

Superman: Is she with you?

[cue electric cello Wonder Woman theme]

Oersted

Looking up the dude on IMDB and he only wrote the Jack Reacher sequel and the Tarzan movie. Only as in thats not a long list of work.

How in the world does someone pull off such a rocketstart?

No DC movie besides WW and JL (which are done) and Aquaman (which is so far into pre-production they might as well stick it through) is going to happen.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
GDYMZgT.gif

Nah, I can't pretend to view this news as a negative. The first movie had just a fucking dreadfully awful script. There's nowhere to go but up. Yes, even the guy that wrote Tarzan and Shadow Recruit.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Legend of Tarzan and Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit weren't terrible, just boring. The type of movies you'd regret going to the theater for, but as a streaming watch on a Sunday afternoon? Not bad.

So this doesn't exactly fill me with lots of confidence. Both those films were incredibly dry as well.

No decent writer/director wants to touch the DCEU unless WB gives them huge concessions like in Matt Reeves' case.

Wasn't the Tarzan movie very successful? Or was that the other Tarzan movie? There were two right?

It wasn't the John Carter-level flop everyone was expecting. It still lost the studio money.

The real question is who will rewrite it when 90% gets scrapped.

We all know the answer:

max-landis.jpg

C'mon WB, just hand over the script and director chair to Mel Gibson. If I aint getting something really good at least give me something really weird and fucked up. Go R rated if you want, I don't give a fuck anymore.
Actually...wait: Imagine an R-rated Suicide Squad film written and directed by Mel Gibson. Oh shit now I won't settle for anything other than that.

Considering how awful the last script was Tarzan levels of average is a step up. Or maybe not, some of the lines in SS were so bad they almost became good.

It'll end up with major revisions even with a total nobody director. But I have to say for better or worse because the original Suicide Squad script was by the guy who wrote The Legend of Chun Li. Maybe Ayer's six week rewrite was a lateral move.

caliph95

Also considering those are two movies that seemed to disappear after all that marketing i assume they weren't "great"

WB just gives anyone a second chance.

The saying you fail upward in Hollywood" applies here. Not getting my hopes up for the sequel anyway, but darn!

Legend of Tarzan is an instant classic. If only WB would give the director job to Yates.

Yates is making Harry Potter movies for life.

Huh. I thought this was canned for the Sirens movie? Or am I mistaken it for something else?

Will Smith needs something to do. Makes me question if Harley will be in Suicide Squad 2. Want to say the original Suicide Squad script had Vixen as the female lead.

KonradLaw

Also considering those are two movies that seemed to disappear after all that marketing i assume they weren't "great"

SS was one of the worst movies of last year, while also being one of the highest grossing though :D

Tarzan actually did surprisngly good. Not any big hit or anything, but the fact that it made twice it's budget was very surprising to me. I thought it would be the biggest flop of 2016.

KonradLaw

still the best tarzan movie
Greystoke.jpg

disney cartoon was nice too thanks to the fantastic phil collins songs and Jane.

I wished the WB one would get a sequel. Because there's a lot of potential in the IP, but the problem is that every movie starts low on fantastic and rehashes his origin story to a degree and after so many adaptations it's just boring.

Now, the later Tarzan tales are a lot more fantastical and pulpy and they could make for some awesome movies.

Liamario

Banned
Watched the SS for the first time last night. Worse than I thought it was going to be. The script/direction/editing were all awful. None of the characters were likeable. I got confused a couple of times as to what was going on, but this was down to the bad editing. Killer Croc looked like ass. Why was so much time spent on Joker and Harley?! The stuff with Batman all looked tacked on. The original score at times sounded like it belonged in a cheap tv show. The constant injection of classic anthems just didn't work.

If Justice League sucks, that will be end of all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom