• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Extended Cut |OT| I'm Just a Sucker for Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass Rebel

What's your opinion on Eminem and ICP?

CsL1W.png

End of Watch, Fury, Harsh Times are all legit dude.
Honestly I'd try to squeeze Street Kings in there too, it's not doing anything you haven't seen done before and better (tv series The Shield covers this subject matter much better) but it's something I keep coming back to every so often regardless. Solid performance by Reeves, really the whole cast.

Ayers doesn't have a perfect batting average (Sabotage remains his worst film and a real piece of junk) but I had hoped for something more out of SS and the late meddling by whomever WB hired to fiddle with the movie clearly didn't help but I got the sense that beyond that SS did have some inherent script issues that were probably there from day one. SS's story is a mess that the third acts only exacerbates, it's "action" sequences are a mess and the feeling that DC is trying to emulate what the MCU did but backwards with this and BvS still hamstrings these films further. Yet I more or less liked SS. Visually engaging, solid performances by Davis, Smith, Hernandez, Kinnaman moved at a decent enough clip that I never found myself checking the time. SS, while probably being the worst superhero movie out this year, passed the time a-ok and I'm honestly looking forward to the next entry in the DCEU or whatever they're calling it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The question becomes, did Ayer have anything to do with the extended cut?

(I'm guessing he never even heard about it until it was announced.)

If what he said was true about this cut being HIS cut, then maybe it's for the best if he had nothing to do with the newest cut.

I enjoyed the theatrical version but I do think it could have been so much more. I want this to be an improvement on BvS levels but I don't think thats the case. Still excited for this though.

Hey, we all like what we like.

I'm not going to make fun of this because I haven't even seen the movie (and even if I did, why would I?), but can you talk a bit about what makes this movie work so well for you? I've heard all of the bad stuff but I'd love to hear a positive perspective. I might give the extended cut a chance at some point.
Thank you for being so understanding!!!

Well I absolutely adore the film on every level, but what really works for me is its aesthetics and what it represents for my extremely niche desires. It's the emo/scene Hot Topic: The Movie that I've wanted for the better part of a decade and the fact that not only did I get one, but I got a big budget blockbuster one... that's a SUPERHERO movie.... from DC (my fav)... with HARLEY QUINN.... is too much to bear. The film was engineered to appeal to my tastes alone and it feels like it was made for me in the same way DmC: Devil May Cry does.

I also think the movie is extraordinarily clever, fun, amusing, dark and gritty, and memorable in ways that I love. ALSO I've loved the Suicide Squad before this and never thought they would be on the big screen, so that too makes it all the sweeter. The fact that my personal aesthetic has hit it big makes me so happy, and every time I go into Hot Topic I can always get some awesome merch and that makes me so hapy!!!!!

What's your opinion on Eminem and ICP?
I never liked Eminem until Suicide Squad and now that I have an emotional attachment to his work, I should check his stuff out. And ICP = magnets

Kibbles

Bad news, a lot of the Joker stuff is unchanged and exactly the same (ex: Lab scene, despite the fact the BTS shows Joker going in and finishing off the security guy at the entrance, that's not in the Extended Cut. The photo they even used to advertise the Extended cut of Joker pleading at Common's feet and where they originally filmed Common killing himself... none of that shit is in, it's exactly the same. shows reshoot wig-Jared shooting him just like the theatrical cut).

Fuck WB.

Source with photo evidence: http://murderous-manipulative-angel...362/sooo-some-bad-news-regarding-the-extended // https://twitter.com/lovesmypuddin

The Joker/Harley electro-shock scene is extended and we do get the scene where she chases him down on her motorcycle, but looks like that may be it. She hasn't gotten to the heli scene yet but I have no faith at this point.
Edit: She confirmed They removed his backhand on her from the scene where she points the gun at him.

0OV1GE4.gif

Bad news, a lot of the Joker stuff is unchanged and exactly the same (ex: Lab scene, despite the fact the BTS shows Joker going in and finishing off the security guy at the entrance, that's not in the Extended Cut. The photo they even used to advertise the Extended cut of Joker pleading at Common's feet and where they originally filmed Common killing himself... none of that shit is in, it's exactly the same. shows reshoot wig-Jared shooting him just like the theatrical cut).

Fuck WB.

Source with photo evidence: http://murderous-manipulative-angel...362/sooo-some-bad-news-regarding-the-extended // https://twitter.com/lovesmypuddin

The Joker/Harley electro-shock scene is extended and we do get the scene where she chases him down on her motorcycle, but looks like that may be it.

Lame as fuck.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So 11 mostly wasted minutes added to this dumpster fire of a movie??

DC is fucking clueless.

edit: Also that property of joker twitter acct is possibly the most annoying thing about this movie. OMG SHE READ ANOTHER LINE!!! OMG HE SAID GO AWAY!!! CRYING!!!!

Cuburt

I didn't think they'd release David Ayer's original cut and fix all the editing problems (given that people actually responded to the theatrical cut to some degree) but I would have at least assumed that the Joker stuff would have been the main thing added back in if they were going to do an extended cut given how much Leto hinted at being cut.

Kibbles

I didn't think they'd release David Ayer's original cut and fix all the editing problems (given that people actually responded to the theatrical cut to some degree) but I would have at least assumed that the Joker stuff would have been the main thing added back in if they were going to do an extended cut given how much Leto hinted at being cut.

No wonder David Ayer has been silent about this whole extended cut. Still getting fucked over

dcelw540

Fuck WB.

The Joker/Harley electro-shock scene is extended and we do get the scene where she chases him down on her motorcycle, but looks like that may be it. She hasn't gotten to the heli scene yet but I have no faith at this point.
Edit: She confirmed They removed his backhand on her from the scene where she points the gun at him.

0OV1GE4.gif
iIiZD4y.gif

It's been clear it'd be a standard extended cut, so no surprise here. Thinking they leaned harder into it after BvS Ultimate was so successful. We'll see if the original scenes are at least included as deleted scenes. I doubt it but who knows.

Kibbles

It's been clear it'd be a standard extended cut, so no surprise here. Thinking they leaned harder into it after BvS Ultimate was so successful. We'll see if the original scenes are at least included as deleted scenes. I doubt it but who knows.

They aren't, I have the iTunes Extras. Cool BTS footage but nothing new and no deleted scenes.

duckroll

Anyone watched this yet? I really hated the film so I'm not going to bother with this, but I'm wondering what sort of changes this has. The construction of the theatrical cut was such a disaster.

Tabby

Anyone watched this yet? I really hated the film so I'm not going to bother with this, but I'm wondering what sort of changes this has. The construction of the theatrical cut was such a disaster.

if you hated the TC this isn't going to change your mind, the changes aren't as drastic as BvS TC to BvS UC.

duckroll

if you hated the TC this isn't going to change your mind, the changes aren't as drastic as BvS TC to BvS UC.

Oh I'm not expecting to like it, I'm curious about the changes to composition. Because the assembly of the theatrical cut was so bad I honestly couldn't believe it was done by a professional film editor and approved by a director. Surely that's one area which could be improved by revisiting the film...

jett

D-Member
Oh I'm not expecting to like it, I'm curious about the changes to composition. Because the assembly of the theatrical cut was so bad I honestly couldn't believe it was done by a professional film editor and approved by a director. Surely that's one area which could be improved by revisiting the film...

Well it was worked on by the marketing company in charge of editing the trailers after all.

I think this is just the same shit with a few more scenes on top.

DrBo42

Worked on it. Motorcycle scene is new, shock scene is extended, dialogue here and there is added. It does nothing to fix the movie IMO. Behind the scenes stuff is nice...but nothing worth your money. I think there's actually an added interaction between Flag and Deadshot where they start to be cool with each other and then do a complete 180 in another scene with no reason for it. It's hilarious. Can't remember if that was in the theatrical or not.

duckroll

Worked on it. Motorcycle scene is new, shock scene is extended, dialogue here and there is added. It does nothing to fix the movie IMO. Behind the scenes stuff is nice...but nothing worth your money.

So the arrangement of the scenes is exactly the same? There's no change to the assembly at all? Wow. Mehtastic. Thanks. :(

emrober5

I finished it. It's not the cut that we all wanted, but the few (yes FEW) new scenes are nice additions that don't feel like filler. They are either Harley/Joker scenes or build the squads relationship.

Better than the theatrical cut IMO...barely.

IconGrist

Cross posting from the DCEU thread...

Extended Cut is worthless. Stick to the TC. New scenes add nothing and just further bother the pacing.

Also fun tidbit in the credits...
At the end of the credits there is a cast list for new characters in the EC. It consists of only David Ayer who played a character named Smitty who is in the movie for less than 10 seconds.

evanmisha

Just finished it. What a damn mess. Really does nothing to fix the movie. Feels more like a fanedit cramming some of the deleted scenes back in.

I remember enjoying myself seeing this opening night. Just finished watching the "Extended Cut" and wow...
what an infuriating piece of shit.

Kibbles

Just fuck my shit up (source lol @ the designer saying it started to become too much when they added the purple coat. No lady, you stop before the tats. Wonder how he'd look had Snyder and his crew gotten to him first.)

tumblr_ogprvg4jju1qfoj4do6_400.gif
tumblr_ogprvg4jju1qfoj4do4_400.gif
tumblr_ogprvg4jju1qfoj4do1_400.gif

tumblr_ogprvg4jju1qfoj4do5_400.gif
tumblr_ogprvg4jju1qfoj4do2_400.gif

tumblr_ogotfhVVuW1tvy3cwo1_540.gif

Just finished it. What a damn mess. Really does nothing to fix the movie. Feels more like a fanedit cramming some of the deleted scenes back in.
I wish they would've released the earlier cut of the film before reshoots. They didn't even try with this. If you've never seen the movie watch this instead, but there's not really an incentive here for anyone who has. Tired of wishing for this and that regarding this film, just going to have to accept what they've putten out and just hope to see what's coming next.

Kr0ni

Neo Member
Just fuck my shit up
I wish they would've released the earlier cut of the film before reshoots. They didn't even try with this. If you've never seen the movie watch this instead, but there's not really an incentive here for anyone who has. Tired of wishing for this and that regarding this film, just going to have to accept what they've putten out and just hope to see what's coming next.

So is the scene that your avatar is from.. is that still absent?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Why is the guy wearing a face mask?

Prevent beard hairs from jumping up in his nose and mouth.

Also; Jared does not like to be breathed on.

LOL @ the designer saying the Purple Suit was too much. Nah lady, the tattoos and grill were too much. The purple suit was pimp as fuck. It came down to tats & grill or the suit and you chose wrong. I respect your professional opinion, but you're wrong.

SilentRob

God dammit, I want to see this movie just to keep abreast of the DCCU before Justice League comes out.

But the reviews of the TC and EC don't have me excited.

There is honestly nothing of relevance happening here. If that's the main reason your better off checking out a synopsis on Wikipedia.

EDIT:

By the way, here is one of the extended scenes, though it has probably already been linked here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-TqAOmE_v4 Have to admit - I'm pretty happy I didn't have to watch this in the Theatrical Cut because this Joker is so fucking awful. This would fit more into a TV soap opera. And this dude is supposed to be scary and psychotic? He just seems mildly annoyed and still gives me the vibe of an extravagant, silly mob boss more than anything I actually connect the Joker with. I really, really hope he won't be part of future Batman movies. It's my least favorite incarnation of the character.

Yoritomo

Jesus Christ this was a terrible movie.

Just remaking the animated assault on arkham would have made a far better movie experience.

Here are the characters, Here are their 1 dimensional motivations. Harley is hot.Throw some member music in there.

Ok Say Mistah J
Puddin

Everyone loves harley let harley finish the job at the end.

Oh wait hold up lets let will smith ham it up a bit cause otherwise the movie is depressing as well as poorly thought out and completely fucking boring.

Boem

Right so I just watched this with zero expectations, no real interest in these kinds of movies (my girlfriend loves them so that's why we watched it), I didn't like Man of Steel or Bat vs Supes at all, I don't read the comics/cartoons/etc (just the live action movies), and... I kinda liked it?

It probably helped that this movie has been shit on so much ever since it released, but I was surprised that I kind of enjoyed myself the whole time (and this was the extended cut). Especially compared to the first two DCU movies which bored me to hell and really started annoying me after a while.

Let's be clear - I don't think it's some sort of cinematic masterpiece, but as a straight-forward small scale (besides the world being threatened...again) dumb action movie it worked for me. Harley, Deadshot & Waller were fun, the rest was fine. Joker was weird and I definitely don't think he has the look, but he was fine given the small part he played in the movie. It helps that I'm not a Joker fan to begin with though, I can totally see Dark Knight fans tearing their hairs out over his portrayal in this movie.

I prefer it over the first two movies in this universe, although it'd probably be more accurate to say that for me it wasn't quite as crappy as those movies. The only thing that those two movies had over this was, for me, more interesting fight scenes. But Suicide Squad was totally fine for me as a little 2 hour drunken diversion.

One thing I don't get: one big criticism I kept hearing was that this movie was supposed to be confusing and weirdly edited, but I didn't really get any of that? It's a super straightforward, clear plot full of characters that aren't exactly deep but I wouldn't call it confusing at all.

So yeah, I guess I've reached a point in my life where I'm actually defending a comic book movie I guess. Hell truly has frozen over in 2016. I can see why people wouldn't like the style of the movie though, and it's definitely trying too hard to be cool at times, but I guess I was just laughing at that and not taking it too seriously.

The tattoo's were dreadful of course, but I knew about that since the movie first came out and I've gotten it out of my system since then.

I'm totally ready to be crucified for this opinion here on Gaf but hey, I'm not going to lie and act like I hated it. But again, I'm not a superhero fan, and I don't know these characters so I can't compare them to what they're supposed to be like.

Kibbles

and still gives me the vibe of an extravagant, silly mob boss
The Joker is supposed to be extravagant and silly. Still with Ayers shit writing and odd costume design choices that doesn't help, but it's a weird cooky version that fits in with this universe of tatted up bad guys and BET KC....
So is the scene that your avatar is from.. is that still absent?
Yup lol so much still absent and they still using the awful reshoot scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom