• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League Official Co-Op Gameplay - “No Matter the Cost” ( Game releases on 05-26-23)

Fair enough.

Overall the entire reception to this game has been baffling to me but not exactly surprising as on the flipside one of the most popular games right now is Dark and Darker; which not only has a horrible title but also looks like it lifted the not-so-charming art style from TES: Oblivion in its entirety and slapped an even clunkier game on top of it. I just don't get it lol. Gamers will play the most unappealing and jankiest shit and call it GOTY but when a renowned developer dare to take an IP and try to put their own take on it it's lambasted for being too different from their previous work or that somehow "looter shooter mechanics are now bad". Right.

That said, I'm spoilt for choice when it comes to quality games to play and as such "videogames" have never been in a better state for me. I have my reservations about Suicide Squad but overall, and considering Rocksteady's pedigree, I am still cautiously optimistic. If it turns out shit then joke's on me and congrats to the haters I guess but I simply don't see the point of spending that amount of negative and vitriolic energy on an internet message board, especially for a game which we have yet to see the final release of, let alone to have played it.

Dark and Darker is an excellent title due to it's reference to DnD and how darkness is a mechanic.
It's playtests have been met with such positive reception because it's an amazing execution, even in such an early stage, of the team's vision to create a hardcore PvPvE extraction looter dungeon crawler. The concept is a much needed breath of fresh air and a slap in the face of the gaming industry's GaaS trend catering to the instant gratification generation, like Suicide Squad.

The footage is weird, it's hard to judge how it plays. The cutscenes and characters look awesome, but I suspect it needs some great review scores to get the hype going.

It's so weird to see all the characters swinging and flying around like Spider-Man. Almost like they took too many liberties.

But I trust Rockstar, and they usually have some really cool stories and characters.
yep:
1) design the gameplay
2) shoehorn the property into the gameplay...

at that point, it doesn't really matter who the characters are, does it?...

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Worst part of it is that it doesn’t even look like a Rocksteady game.

Not sure what happened to this team. Looks like alot of the main guys left the studio. 😫

VN1X

Banned
Dark and Darker is an excellent title due to it's reference to DnD and how darkness is a mechanic.
It's playtests have been met with such positive reception because it's an amazing execution, even in such an early stage, of the team's vision to create a hardcore PvPvE extraction looter dungeon crawler. The concept is a much needed breath of fresh air and a slap in the face of the gaming industry's GaaS trend catering to the instant gratification generation, like Suicide Squad.
I'm sure it's fine but it just looks so extremely unappealing.

I'm a huge fan of the extraction (shooter) genre so I pretty much will try anything but any game that allows you to just go invisible and instakill people is a pass in my book hah.

hyperbertha

Ehhh that's a very grey area. You can apply all sorts of buffs on weapons in the Souls games, level them up, etc. So basically it's okay when Gearbox does it but when you apply similar mechanics to a superhero title people hold their noses up? Weird.

I truly think that Gamers(tm) simply don't know what they want (me included obviously). Apex is a good example of this as when that came out people were already getting tired of the whole BR genre and its, seemingly limited, staying power. But along comes Respawn and shakes up the formula establishing a hugely successful title as a result. Now I'm not saying Rocksteady is doing the same thing with Suicide Squad (nor are they aiming for that) but I'm simply pointing out that audiences often times have such a poor grasp on what constitutes a quality title and are quick to immediatly disregard instead. Take Midnight Suns from Fireaxis for example, critically acclaimed and loved by the ones that gave it a go but scoffed at by general audiences (for mostly kneejerk reasoning I found).

Again, if the actual game ends up with all sorts of overbearing issues then joke's on me but I don't see how including looter shooter or RPG mechanics into a game (like this) causes this reaction from some or that it somehow constitutes as bad design by default.
I disagree and will say the hardcore gaming audiences can predict most duds from far away. Look at avengers, look at gotham knights. And nobody here said midnight suns is a bad game. Its not doing well because its a very niche game type with some bad social sim.

Nydius

See, this reaction is exactly what I mean. Since when have RPG mechanics become something we look down upon?
After a decade of the same Green/Blue/Purple/Yellow "rarity" vomit where the stats affixed to them are designed to only increase your abilities by a minuscule amount in order to keep your dopamine running to engage in their artificial gear treadmill, I'm hesitant to call them "RPG mechanics". They're RPG mechanics in the loosest sense of the phrase.

Yeah, I realize games like Diablo have done this for much longer but goddamn -- at least Diablo has a multitude of build options per character class, not to mention unique character classes to begin with, and a lot more diversity of enemy types. This is looking like the base combat of all four characters will be identical and the enemy and mission types are just like Avengers where they're all open spaces with bullet sponges throughout, all with "weak points" to hit.

If you want to call it an RPG that's fine but I think there needs to be a category of "GaaS RPG" these days.

Top Bottom