• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 DS | The Best Worst Version - Scott The Woz

The thing that got me at the time is that I heard that you don’t play as Mario on your first playthrough, you play as Yoshi.

I'm biased, because I hate Yoshi (His design), but that seems like a bad decision.

Saber

Gold Member
The Aquiles weakness of this game are the controls.
Its actually a pretty cool version of the N64 version. But no way its possible to fully enjoy this with DS poor controls.

GametimeUK

I didn't really mind the controls back in the day. On the wrist strap for the DS there was a plastic pad you could place on your thumb and secure it there so your thumb would glide across the touch screen. Was a lot better than using the Dpad.

I really enjoyed the DS version back then and it was actually my first full playthrough of the game as I only got to play Mario at a friend's house since he had a 64.

Porticus

Banned
I feel like I shouldn't like this guy's videos because of the generation/age difference, since he was growing up when I was done with high school, but I love his sense of humor. The jokes really land for me in a lot of his videos.

Yeah right, you shouldn't like a person production because of generation/age difference, can we do a more stereotipical generalization?

Thanks.

LordCBH

I got this game for my DS back when it came out cause I loved Mario 64 back in the 90’s. Hated this version. The controls were hot dogshit.

SCB3

Scott's an acquired taste, I do like his stuff, he has a second channel where he talks about stuff in his collection as well, it can be a fun thing to have on in the background

On to Super Mario 64 DS, the controls are fucking horrible, the game does look better than 64 and as he says, the point of the new characters is if you wanna play as them I guess? Limiting the powers Mario could get and piecing it out to the others was braindead though, its worth checking out but I'd rather just play 64 again

Impotaku

Isn't there a hack to enable 3DS circle pad support ( and so by extension analog control via emulation)?
No hack needed if you play the ds game on a 3ds it lets you use the circle pad. Although it’s still not true analogue but still a bit better than the regular ds cintrols.

Neff

The extra in-game content is junk and the visuals are worse, so in no way is SM64DS better than the original, even if they updated the controls.

The side mini games were pretty rad though, I'll admit.

Puscifer

The thing that got me at the time is that I heard that you don’t play as Mario on your first playthrough, you play as Yoshi.

I'm biased, because I hate Yoshi (His design), but that seems like a bad decision.
I'll take it over getting 120 stars just to meet him and vanish lol

sodstall

Should of been a part of 3d all stars. And for as much hate as the DS controls got for this game its what made me appreciate the existence of the D-pad. Play on a 3ds or EMU

Drell

No hack needed if you play the ds game on a 3ds it lets you use the circle pad. Although it’s still not true analogue but still a bit better than the regular ds cintrols.
I know, but what I'm talking about is a hack allowing you to have true analog and 360° movements with the circle pad.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Im pretty sure there is, I looked into it once.
Yeah, there’s a mod from maybe a year-ish ago. It adds true analog support, widescreen, and right stick camera controls.

I still haven’t tried it myself because I’m lazy, but here’s a good overview of it. It’s definitely on my todo list.

Top Bottom