• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros Movie Gets All-Star Cast

bitbydeath

It’s animated though, but getting the likes of Charlie Day (Always Sunny) has me interested.

Chris Pratt (Mario)
Anya Taylor-Joy (Princess Peach)
Charlie Day (Luigi)
Jack Black (Bowser)
Keegan-Michael Key (Toad)
Seth Rogen (Donkey Kong)
Fred Armisen (Cranky Kong)
Kevin Michael Richardson (Kamek)
Sebastian Maniscalco (Spike).

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

Lots of smiles and cries from the rabble regarding the voice cast. I dunno man, animation has to break new ground to be interesting to me, so I guess I'm skeptical that Super Mario Bros has that potential. I'll keep an eye out to see what they can do with it, but the hype train hasn't left the station just quite yet.

bitbydeath

Lots of smiles and cries from the rabble regarding the voice cast. I dunno man, animation has to break new ground to be interesting to me, so I guess I'm skeptical that Super Mario Bros has that potential. I'll keep an eye out to see what they can do with it, but the hype train hasn't left the station just quite yet.

But on the other hand, Charlie Day as Luigi!
099a68f0843b7d5b8e8290583de8c93c.gif

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I haven't watched a Pixar movie since Toy Story 1. I didn't watch the Sonic movie. This is clearly not aimed at me. If it turns into something positive, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Going to be weird seeing so much dialogue from Mario. But I guess I grew up watching that awful show.

mario-super-show.jpg

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Finally, a video game adaptation I am actually excited about. Way more potential with this than some tRiPlAyyyyee cinematic "game".

kiphalfton

Gonna have to be careful to keep the special effects quality in check in this movie, so Nintendo fans don't come away from the movie expecting better graphics in future Mario video games.

Duchess

Ah, Anya-Taylor Joy. If you've got Netflix and haven't watched The Queen's Gambit, get on that. It's an awesome series and she's amazing in it.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I hope they got Kojima by to write this. Movie would be so preachy all the world would repent and save the planet.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Happy with the cast. My favorite part is the lound minority of people screaming for chris pratt to be cancelled just to be ignored by the world. Now they are throwing an extra big hissy fit. Feels good

EruditeHobo

The Mario IP is not what will make or break this as a good movie, the Mario characters in and of themselves are... nothing. Barely archetypes. Heroic Everyman, Damsel in Distress, Monstrous Villain, etc.

But if they do a good job with character, like Wreck-It-Ralph did, it will be a good movie. If not, it won't.

Chris Pratt as Mario though... certainly not a fan of that.

Doom85

Gonna have to be careful to keep the special effects quality in check in this movie, so Nintendo fans don't come away from the movie expecting better graphics in future Mario video games.

The movie is being made by Illumination so no risk of that as their animation quality is fine but nowhere near Disney, Pixar, or even Dreamworks’ level. Just hope Nintendo’s involvement means this will be one of their more tolerable movies as opposed to some of the garbage they’ve put out recently like Minions, Despicable Me 3, and Secret Life of Pets 2.

Fbh

Can't really imagine Chris Pratt doing the high pitched italian voice Mario is mostly known for. But I guess I'll reserve my judgement for when they show a trailer.
The rest of the cast seems fine.

jaysius

Banned
What does the voice of Mario in the games have to say about this?
"Itsa not me! Not Mario!"

Imagine the kick in the cock this is, decades as the voice of the character, but when it comes time to put asses in seats for a movie they go full Hollywood, leaving you in the dust with your fingers up your ass.

He has a cameo but as what I wonder?

Pratt was hot shit for a while, but I think his sun has set, he's gone all wacky christian.

Last edited:
I haven't watched a Pixar movie since Toy Story 1. I didn't watch the Sonic movie. This is clearly not aimed at me. If it turns into something positive, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Going to be weird seeing so much dialogue from Mario. But I guess I grew up watching that awful show.

mario-super-show.jpg
believe me, it hasn't even come out yet i know it will be bad. your better off watching more Pixar and the Sonic Movie.
"Itsa not me! Not Mario!"

Imagine the kick in the cock this is, decades as the voice of the character, but when it comes time to put asses in seats for a movie they go full Hollywood, leaving you in the dust with your fingers up your ass.

He has a cameo but as what I wonder?

Pratt was hot shit for a while, but I think his sun has set, he's gone all wacky christian.
shame, but atleast people know what it felt to be Mike Pollock being replaced by Jim Carrey in the Sonic movie.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I really dont get the negativity around the cast, i honestly think they line up well with the characters, and there is a ton of talent there, i mean if people want it to be “true to the source material” its gonna be two hours of grunting and screaming lol

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After being approached by a reporter for toofab at LAX airport, Illumination co-founder and CEO Chris Meledandri was asked how Chris Pratt was going to pull off Mario’s voice.

“All I can tell you is the voice that he’s doing for us and Mario is phenomenal,” Meledandri replied. “I can’t wait for people to hear it.”

Meledandri was then asked why an Italian wasn’t cast for the role (despite the fact that Mario’s usual voice actor Charles Martinet himself isn’t Italian), to which he replied: “Well, as an Italian-American myself I understand the comments. Charlie Day, who’s playing Luigi actually, comes from an Italian heritage. So that’s our nod.”

As for how much Pratt is going to lean into Martinet’s thick Italian accent, Meledandri stated that Pratt wouldn’t be adopting the same accent, but that the reason for this would be addressed in the film.

“We cover it in the movie,” he explained. “So you’ll see that we definitely nod to that, but that’s not the tenor of the performance throughout the film.”

Top Bottom