• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monkey Ball for PS2?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'd be more worried about the controls. Game would blow on a Dual Shock controller...no wedges on the analog stick. It'd be hard to navigate accurately

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
The game wouldn't work with the Dual Shock. It doesn't have the hitches that the GC pad has, and it's not nearly as responsive.

Monkey Ball has done very well on the GC, I don't see why Sega would not want to release another on the GC as quickly as possible.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Yea, the screen is going to be stuttering but who will care because your balls will be going wild. C'mon. It'd be funny if this and Viewtiful come out the same week.

Owen

Why wouldn't they stick Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 on a disc and sell them for $19.99? That would actually make sense.

Meier

It probably will be that -- and it's a slap in the face to Nintendo basically but I'm sure Sammy is forcing Sega to whore it out.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Sega put this franchise on GBA and mobile phones (which do not have analog). Dual Shock analog will not be an issue with SEGA.

DarkCloud

And the possibility of Party Game mode over PS2's online service may make up for the DS2 setup.

Course i was never a fan of the Gamecube control when it came to this game...Right cstick is notched but it feels to loose for my liking so either way I'm handicapped no matter what control I use for this game.

Dekajelly

The Monkey Ball moments in I-Ninja were excellent with the DS analog sticks, so I cannot see a problem playing Monkey Ball with them.

Bigfoot

The Dual shock analog sucks! so therefore a PS2 SMB will also suck. They will have to something like they did on the GBA so that pressing a button will make you move slower.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If they could make Monkey Ball work at least decently on a GBA, I think they can manage with a PS2.

Geez.

Bigfoot

MetatronM said:
If they could make Monkey Ball work at least decently on a GBA, I think they can manage with a PS2.

Geez.
That's what I just said above, but there will have to be changes to the controls on the PS2 version. Btw, I own the GBA version as well, and it is fun, but I play it mostly for bowling and golf with my brother on long trips.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The analog doesn't suck on other games, don't know why it would for this. All this crap is just sour grapes. But the positive part for everyone is that increased interest in the title may generate a 3rd.

jarrod

Banned
DarkCloud said:
And the possibility of Party Game mode over PS2's online service may make up for the DS2 setup.
For a budget port? Not likely imo... if it was an XBox release maybe but for whatever reason, Sega seems to be ignoring PS2 online for anything besides sports. :/

Musashi Wins! said:
But the positive part for everyone is that increased interest in the title may generate a 3rd.
If the combined 2 million or so in sales from the first two games (plus the GBA release) isn't enough to do it, how will a budget PS2 release? This thing will be lucky to hit 200k in the US, if any hope for a 3rd MonkeyBall are resting on this release then rest assured the series is finished.

Gattsu25

Banned
The analog doesn't suck on other games, don't know why it would for this. All this crap is just sour grapes.

damn...now i really miss the thumbsup >_<

still...i can't see SEGA handling this with any sort of decency...it will probably be a low budget port that has graphics that can rival the best of RC Revenge and controls that aren't even close to being optimized

PS2 gamers hate primates. Look at the sales of Ape Escape.

Sega should keep this series on Gamecube, America's #1 monkey console.

Gattsu25

Banned
AniHawk said:
It's Sega.

damn...i'm REALLY missing the thumbsup pic now >_<

boy%20thumbs%20up.jpg

Super Monkey Ball 2 had some fairly detailed backgrounds, and all at a locked 60 fps. I think it has impressive graphics. Besides, the same engine was used for F-Zero GX. I can't wait to see Super Monkey Ball 3 with the tweaked (F-Zero) engine.

cvxfreak

If this game were ported to PS2, I wonder how much it would sell. Not a whole lot I bet, kinda like Sonic Heroes.

CVXFREAK said:
If this game were ported to PS2, I wonder how much it would sell. Not a whole lot I bet, kinda like Sonic Heroes.

They're lucky SH sold as much as it did with how messed up it was compared to the other versions. If SMB is the sameway it probably won't sell well either.

The PS2 could easily handle SMB if Sega actually tried with the port. It isn't exactly the most technically advanced game. But if it does happen, it'll probably just be a quick port and won't look nearly as good as it could.

explodet

Gorgie said:
Besides, the same engine was used for F-Zero GX. I can't wait to see Super Monkey Ball 3 with the tweaked (F-Zero) engine.
I heard this game is hard enough, now we'll have monkeys in balls going over 1000 km/h? Damn.

Gattsu25

Banned
now, I can understand the DS2 is the wrong controller comments...simple console loyalty showing itself in idiot statements...but the PS2 can't handle a Monkey Ball game? uhhh...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>>sweet, but I would be worried about slow down.

I'd be more worried about the controls. Game would blow on a Dual Shock controller...no wedges on the analog stick. It'd be hard to navigate accurately

The game wouldn't work with the Dual Shock. It doesn't have the hitches that the GC pad has, and it's not nearly as responsive.<<<<

These arguments are ridiculous, especially when you consider that Monkey Ball was originally supposed to be a Dreamcast exclusive. (And was released as an arcade game running on the NAOMI 1 board, which I play when I'm in Vegas.)

jarrod said:
Monkey Ball was never announced for Dreamcast.

Well I think his point stands, it wouldn't be very difficult to play a game like this on the PS2 controller. Unless you have absolutely no ability to gently push it's analogs which isn't too hard. It just seems like such a weird thing to complain about, although not as weird as saying the PS2 can't handle something like SMB.

Bigfoot

SolidSnakex said:
Well I think his point stands, it wouldn't be very difficult to play a game like this on the PS2 controller. Unless you have absolutely no ability to gently push it's analogs which isn't too hard. It just seems like such a weird thing to complain about, although not as weird as saying the PS2 can't handle something like SMB.
Of course the PS2 could handle SMB, but the analog is a valid point. Basically, SMB is played with only one analog stick, and the GC analog >>>> PS2 analog. The PS2 analog is no where near as responsive as the GC controller, and it is lacking grooves for going straight. Tiger Woods is a good example... I can shoot much better scores on the GC than I can with the PS2 controller. It may not suck (maybe Sega will surprise me), but I don't think it will be anything like the GC version

Top Bottom