• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Super Nintendo World" is Universal Studios Japan's Nintendo area

Tagyhag

So I'm pretty sure they're starting to work on it at Universal Hollywood already, they're getting rid of soundstages for more room.

OryoN

Sorry folks. Got some wires crossed <3

Wires crossed? WIRES CROSSED?! Your soul will never be freed from the duty of providing a noteworthy update for that bump. So start making something up, or pray that Nintendo makes a related announcment between now and the next 6-8 hours.

We got pitchforks and stuff...

It'll be 3D screens. Akin to Transformers using mixed media.

Most chatter I've read is saying that Universal is deemphasizing screens for future attractions. But we'll see. Augmented reality could form a nice middle ground between screens and practical.

What do you reckon the turnaround will be? 3 years?

Prolly at least 2.5 years. That's about how long Diagon Alley took in Florida (just comparing large-scale expansions).

Hoping more info for Florida comes out during the Volcano Bay media event.

Haven't thought about this in a while. So many possibilities! Mario and Kirby are my favorite Nintendo franchises so I wouldn't be that upset if they mainly just focused on Mario but I do hope all of Nintendo's noteworthy (and not-so-noteworthy) franchises get a chance to shine in some form or another.

I just really wanna hug a
old sweaty dude wearing a
Waddle Dee
costume
!

Edit :Lol nevermind.

BooThisMan.gif

Lol at the bump.
Going to plug the recreation im making of the area in Planet Coaster then:
Last time I read the Orlando forum they were talking about wearing goggles for the MK ride

Actually the last thing I heard is that nintendo wanted to force more real stuff than 3D screen for the area.

Can't wait for this to have the only recent F-Zero thing in over a decade.

Haven't thought about this in a while. So many possibilities! Mario and Kirby are my favorite Nintendo franchises so I wouldn't be that upset if they mainly just focused on Mario but I do hope all of Nintendo's noteworthy (and not-so-noteworthy) franchises get a chance to shine in some form or another.

I just really wanna hug a
old sweaty dude wearing a
Waddle Dee
costume
!

I would start lowering expectations if I were you. The area confirmed is only based in Mario and DK.
Nobody knows if theres going to be an expansion with other franchises, but if its as popular as Harry Potter I would not doubt about it.
Also Waddle Dee, inside those customes theres normally a girl (or a very short man) ;)

Gartooth

The rumors I read long ago seem to still be what gets talked about.

--Mario Kart and DK Coaster being sure things.
-- Yoshi being a "maybe" in Orlando depending on ET staying.
--Low use of screens.
--Mario universe only in "phase 1".

Feels like Universal has been sitting on this for a long time. I hope after Volcano Bay they break ground.

MarioLinkSamus

not a fan of Ashley Madison. Digs her website tho
Lol at the bump.
Going to plug the recreation im making of the area in Planet Coaster then:

Actually the last thing I heard is that nintendo wanted to force more real stuff than 3D screen for the area.

Nice work. Make a video walkthrough of it please. And do a voice over in the voice of Mario.

I wrote a quick article on some of the patents universal has published. One is a cart attached to a mechanical arm where the mechanical arm moves along on a track below the riders that can't be seen. They discuss how this will give the illusion of the cart being able to go over jumps, switch tracks, and have near crashes, while in reality it's just moving up and down the mechanical arm. Perfect donkey kong country mine cart ride if you ask me. Can't wait.

mclem

I wrote a quick article on some of the patents universal has published. One is a cart attached to a mechanical arm where the mechanical arm moves along on a track below the riders that can't be seen. They discuss how this will give the illusion of the cart being able to go over jumps, switch tracks, and have near crashes, while in reality it's just moving up and down the mechanical arm. Perfect donkey kong country mine cart ride if you ask me. Can't wait.

That sounds like a standard robocoaster, which is the same tech that drives the Harry Potter ride.

Gartooth

Yeah it 100% fits DKC mine carts. So excited if we see that in the actual ride!

I'm really curious what was in Universal Creative's inital pitch to Nintendo that didn't make it into what they're planning for the land.

I'm really curious what was in Universal Creative's inital pitch to Nintendo that didn't make it into what they're planning for the land.

Oh I know I right. They prob had some crazy ideas and were like you are getting the Harry Potter treatment.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Excited for this. Haven't been to Universal Studios since 1994 due to the lack of interesting properties. The Simpsons stuff piqued my interest but this seals the deal for sure.

galvatron

Excited for this. Haven't been to Universal Studios since 1994 due to the lack of interesting properties. The Simpsons stuff piqued my interest but this seals the deal for sure.

Those Harry Potter rides are awesome and I'm not really into Potter stuff. They've really stepped up their game since the 90s.

Do we know if ground's been broken already at Orlando? Or are they still in planning stages? As far as I know they've only really started working in Universal Japan. Has anything changed since then?

Do we know if ground's been broken already at Orlando? Or are they still in planning stages? As far as I know they've only really started working in Universal Japan. Has anything changed since then?

Rumors are that Nintendo World will be replacing the Kidzone area (Barney, Curious George, Woody Wood Pecker maybe ET) but nothing has happened yet.

Gartooth

Nothing yet. I think everyone is waiting for Volcano Bay to open in May first before seeing what Orlando starts next.

Its planned that they will be closing all of Kidzone (except maybe ET?) with this project.

Saw Zelda mentioned on Orlando United as part of the initial pitch that got cut, but I'm sure it will make it at some point. Wouldn't gel well with Mario, anyway. For Florida I definitely think it's going in either IoA or the third gate.

True true. I was thinking of the escape from gringotts ride. But I forgot how that one works lol

Heres a similar article somebody wrote on some of the patents Universal filed

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...-theme-park-patents-tackle-drifting-cars.html

Gringotts is more or less a standard coaster vehicle with some under the hood programming for spinning. All of the simulation on the ride is actually a result of motion bases under certain pieces of track that the vehicles periodically park on top of.

DK doesn't look like a robocoaster to me. There doesn't seem to be any ride programming mentioned in the boom coaster patent. It's basically a coaster on a stick.

I'd love to know if they could make computer controlled high speed cars, could avoid crashes but let you steer and drift via robotic steered Dodgem wheels

Gartooth

Saw Zelda mentioned on Orlando United as part of the initial pitch that got cut, but I'm sure it will make it at some point. Wouldn't gel well with Mario, anyway. For Florida I definitely think it's going in either IoA or the third gate.

Gringotts is more or less a standard coaster vehicle with some under the hood programming for spinning. All of the simulation on the ride is actually a result of motion bases under certain pieces of track that the vehicles periodically park on top of.

DK doesn't look like a robocoaster to me. There doesn't seem to be any ride programming mentioned in the boom coaster patent. It's basically a coaster on a stick.

That's awesome! I wonder what kind of attraction they had in mind for Zelda. (interactive walkthrough?) I think a Zelda Land would work really well at what remains of Lost Continent as a perfect segway between Dr. Seuss and Harry Potter.

I'm hoping DK isn't a straight coaster and has some show elements like Seven Dwarves Mine Train. Keeping low expectations though with the mentions of it being a D ticket.

Top Bottom