• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 Expectations and Predictions

kyliethicc

Asap Rocky Lol GIF

Xellos

If it's similar to current Switch's design and based on Nvidia's Orin SoC, I'd guess 4 Ampere SM (512 Cuda cores) + 6 A78, 8GB lpddr5 w/64-bit bus (~50GB/s bandwidth). Orin is apparently 45 watts (per recent DF video), so using 1/4 GPU SM + 1/2 CPU cores and lower clocks should make 10 watts (docked) doable. For storage it'll probably use cards/micro SD/eMMC like current Switch and base Steam Deck. 64GB built-in seems like a safe bet, but maybe we'll get lucky and Nintendo includes 128GB. NVMe is too expensive and uses too much power. Not sure about any special features, but Nintendo is good at surprises. For price and date, late 2022/early 2023 and $399. It should be $350 but inflation + huge success of original Switch makes $399 more likely.

This would be a slower device than Steam Deck but also smaller and lighter, with better battery life, and DLSS for TV use. I would expect full BC, hopefully with improved frame rates but not expecting higher resolutions.

TLZ

Banned
Not again..

I'm done with these predictions and rumours until official news happen.

Always get my hopes up for Nintendo to brutally deflate them. No thanks.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Considering thier track record

- no chance of nvme, they will cheap out
- not likely to be oled, they will cheap out
- probably the x2 from nvidia, cus they will cheap out
- same stupid joycons
- lowest amount of ram possible to cheap out
- still be 1080p docked cus putting in anything more power would be spending money

Can you tell I'm bitter about the lack of 2021 upgrade? I'm starting to not even care at this point......

Quasicat

Now that the Switch has Bluetooth audio support, all I want is faster loading. Maybe make it do 4K with Quick Resume, but the way Nintendo makes their games, their stuff looks awesome on the current hardware.

jigglet

Banned
Tech:

1) Give me at least native 1080p, no more upscaling.
2) DLSS2.0 would be awesome.
3) No internal fan.

Hardware:

1) New Joycon locking mechanism that isn't destroyed if you accidentally put the Joycon in the wrong side.
2) New Joycon sticks, of course.
3) Fast charge battery.

Last edited:

scydrex

It will cost $400 at least. I think it will come in 2023. Next year i don't think so. Nintendo fans don't care about hardware or power. The Switch is selling a lot and if it continues to sell well next year, why Nintendo should care about releasing a Switch 2 in 2022?

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I think that if they want 3rd parties to keep releasing new games for their consoles, than they need to up their power. Make it as powerful as an xbox series s

blacktout

If it's similar to current Switch's design and based on Nvidia's Orin SoC, I'd guess 4 Ampere SM (512 Cuda cores) + 6 A78, 8GB lpddr5 w/64-bit bus (~50GB/s bandwidth). Orin is apparently 45 watts (per recent DF video), so using 1/4 GPU SM + 1/2 CPU cores and lower clocks should make 10 watts (docked) doable. For storage it'll probably use cards/micro SD/eMMC like current Switch and base Steam Deck. 64GB built-in seems like a safe bet, but maybe we'll get lucky and Nintendo includes 128GB. NVMe is too expensive and uses too much power. Not sure about any special features, but Nintendo is good at surprises. For price and date, late 2022/early 2023 and $399. It should be $350 but inflation + huge success of original Switch makes $399 more likely.

This would be a slower device than Steam Deck but also smaller and lighter, with better battery life, and DLSS for TV use. I would expect full BC, hopefully with improved frame rates but not expecting higher resolutions.

You clearly understand this shit way better than I do, but from my limited knowledge, this sounds right. We have every reason to believe that it'll be Orin-based and use DLSS. And the power and pricing *feel* right to me. Definitely think we're looking at $399 since the OLED is going for $350.

My only point of disagreement is the date. I think late 2023/early 2024 is more likely, given that Switch sales are still high and it looks like next holiday is going to have Bayonetta 3 and BotW 2, so I doubt Nintendo wants to complicate the situation by launching a new piece of hardware. (Unless, of course, Nintendo is going to blur the line between a "pro" revision and a new generation with a true Switch 2 in the iPhone sense.)

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Tech wise it will probably be a small bump, but with some very questionable aspects, like always with Nintendo.

And Nintendo will probably feel the need to put a gimmick in. No idea what that could be at this point. Maybe a camera for augmented reality.

V4skunk

Banned
With the Switch OLED releasing very soon what are your expectations and predictions for Switch 2.

My predictions

It will be a Switch 2 or another name will be used but will include the name Switch in it.

720p
It will still use the same resolution, as Deck has shown using a higher resolution will be a waste of vompyte resource for the eye to determine a differencs for such a small screen.

Enhanced BC
I believe the Switch 2 will use the same architecture as the original Switch, so some developers will patch original Switch games similar to how we see on PS5 and Series X. However original Switch games for unpatched games will have a option to run games in dock mode in handheld mode for on Switch 2.

256GB NVME
I believe Nintendo will follow the NVME bandwagon. It makes sense for them as they would want quick and accessible games without long load times. Similar to the N64 era. However I think they will skimp out on the storage size and 256GB is the perfect balance. Majority of PS4 era games are under 200GB, also 128GB would be too low as there are many games that are over 100GB in the PS4 era games.

NVME Expansion Slot
I think Nintendo will use the Series X solution of expandable memory. Except it won't be sticking out the system but tucked inside.

Power, Price and Release Date
I believe Nintendo will be able to match Steam Deck power level which is equivalent to a PS4 at 60fps. You maybe thinking surely not as that's pricey tech. But I believe by fall 2023 which I think is when Nintendo will release a Switch 2 it will be cheap enough to use tech this powerful. I think Nintendo will be pricing it the same price as the current Switch OLED price. You maybe thinking fall 2023 is a long time from now. Well the original Switch has still not had a significant price drop yet so I believe in 2022 Switch will have a significant price drop and Nintendo will ride that wave for a year and a half of extra sales boost due to price drop.

Blu-ray Install Dock
This is where my predictions get wild. I believe the Dock itself will have a Blu-ray drive. The reason for this is to install games not to play games off the Blu-ray. I think all physical games will be coming with a Blu-ray install disk and a game card key. The idea is to save costs on physical media of having to provide NVME speed game cards. Instead we will get a game Blu-ray which is only used to install the game inside the Switch 2s internal NVME. The game will also will come with a game card. The game card will basically be a key to verify you own the game so will be cheap to produce and will have kbs of data. In fact you don't even need the Blu-ray disk if you don't want to and just want to download game data via internet you can just use the game card to do that as well. I believe this solution is way cheaper that having game cards with large data, PS4 era games go over 100GB for many games and 50GB for majority of games imagine if developers need to use game cards holding that amount of data that is very pricey.

Camera and Stylus
I believe Nintnedo won't just want a Switch 2 to just be a more powerful Switch. They will have more gimmicks to make the system feel more fresh. The original Switch combined ideas of the Wii Mote and the idea of the Wii U playing on console and in handheld. I think they will further combine ideas from there previous systems and have front and back cameras for AR games that the 3DS had. I also think we will get stylus with buttons on it that can be tracked by the front camera for some cool gameplay mechanics. The stylus will combine the idea of touchscreen with stylus from the original DS. So the Switch 2 will be a complete system with all previous Nintendo ideas.
All i can say is that the games will not come on bluray. Will use the same format as Switch.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I expect the same power as the steam deck but with Nvidia Tensor cores so it has DLSS + better then steamdeck Raytracing performance.

KAL2006

Banned
All i can say is that the games will not come on bluray. Will use the same format as Switch.

Then let's hope game card sizes for 32GB and 64GB is cheaper by then. Majority of games on PS4 generation are around 20GB to 50GB. Publishers are already being cheap and never use 32GB size and make you download game data.

Vagswarm

There won't be a switch 2. Nintendo will randomly come out with some other best selling console in a few years time and the Switch will become a thing of the past.
That would be a first. Every Nintendo system has had an upgrade the following gen. The Switch is too successful for them not to follow up, so I see it happening again.

Star-Lord

I want it to support 1080p60 in handheld mode and up to 4K60p in docked. I want the screen to be 7” OLED as standard. I want at least 1TB internal storage, with the capacity to upgrade through SD cards. I want 8GB LPDDR5 RAM. I want a vastly superior battery. I want it to be touchscreen with a stylus. And I want it all for £400.

levyjl1988

Banned
There won't be a Switch Pro, that power will be reserved for the next gen console, the Switch U, like the wii and Nintendo not knowing how to make their next console will recycle their success but with more power.

Sorcerer

With the Switch OLED releasing very soon what are your expectations and predictions for Switch 2.

My predictions

It will be a Switch 2 or another name will be used but will include the name Switch in it.

720p
It will still use the same resolution, as Deck has shown using a higher resolution will be a waste of vompyte resource for the eye to determine a differencs for such a small screen.

Enhanced BC
I believe the Switch 2 will use the same architecture as the original Switch, so some developers will patch original Switch games similar to how we see on PS5 and Series X. However original Switch games for unpatched games will have a option to run games in dock mode in handheld mode for on Switch 2.

256GB NVME
I believe Nintendo will follow the NVME bandwagon. It makes sense for them as they would want quick and accessible games without long load times. Similar to the N64 era. However I think they will skimp out on the storage size and 256GB is the perfect balance. Majority of PS4 era games are under 200GB, also 128GB would be too low as there are many games that are over 100GB in the PS4 era games.

NVME Expansion Slot
I think Nintendo will use the Series X solution of expandable memory. Except it won't be sticking out the system but tucked inside.

I believe Nintendo will be able to match Steam Deck power level which is equivalent to a PS4 at 60fps. You maybe thinking surely not as that's pricey tech. But I believe by fall 2023 which I think is when Nintendo will release a Switch 2 it will be cheap enough to use tech this powerful. I think Nintendo will be pricing it the same price as the current Switch OLED price. You maybe thinking fall 2023 is a long time from now. Well the original Switch has still not had a significant price drop yet so I believe in 2022 Switch will have a significant price drop and Nintendo will ride that wave for a year and a half of extra sales boost due to price drop.

Blu-ray Install Dock
This is where my predictions get wild. I believe the Dock itself will have a Blu-ray drive. The reason for this is to install games not to play games off the Blu-ray. I think all physical games will be coming with a Blu-ray install disk and a game card key. The idea is to save costs on physical media of having to provide NVME speed game cards. Instead we will get a game Blu-ray which is only used to install the game inside the Switch 2s internal NVME. The game will also will come with a game card. The game card will basically be a key to verify you own the game so will be cheap to produce and will have kbs of data. In fact you don't even need the Blu-ray disk if you don't want to and just want to download game data via internet you can just use the game card to do that as well. I believe this solution is way cheaper that having game cards with large data, PS4 era games go over 100GB for many games and 50GB for majority of games imagine if developers need to use game cards holding that amount of data that is very pricey.

Camera and Stylus
I believe Nintnedo won't just want a Switch 2 to just be a more powerful Switch. They will have more gimmicks to make the system feel more fresh. The original Switch combined ideas of the Wii Mote and the idea of the Wii U playing on console and in handheld. I think they will further combine ideas from there previous systems and have front and back cameras for AR games that the 3DS had. I also think we will get stylus with buttons on it that can be tracked by the front camera for some cool gameplay mechanics. The stylus will combine the idea of touchscreen with stylus from the original DS. So the Switch 2 will be a complete system with all previous Nintendo ideas.
Will Nintendo have to pay a licensing fee to use Blu-Ray in that way for their system? If so that ain't happening. Nintendo doesn't love their customers that much.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I know that people want a switch pro or switch 2 but I don’t think Nintendo will do either. They like to try new things and innovate. I think we’ll get a completely new console, with the switch (and switch lite) filling the handheld role going forward.

FStubbs

There won't be a Switch Pro, that power will be reserved for the next gen console, the Switch U, like the wii and Nintendo not knowing how to make their next console will recycle their success but with more power.
Wii U would have done better if it really was just a Wii in HD. The tablet made it a totally different beast.

FStubbs

It was a beast alright.

A beast that should’ve been put to rest way sooner than it did.
Should've never seen the light of day, but Nintendo did the right thing in riding it out and not killing it, say, after the first year or two. That allowed people to see Nintendo would see their hardware through and gave confidence for their next outing.

skneogaf

I believe there won't be a switch 2.

I stead a hand held and a home console will be released.

Same games but with very different settings.

Hand held ps4 power

Home console xbox one x but with better cpu power.

I'd definitely buy both!

KAL2006

Banned
I know that people want a switch pro or switch 2 but I don’t think Nintendo will do either. They like to try new things and innovate. I think we’ll get a completely new console, with the switch (and switch lite) filling the handheld role going forward.

History has shown that's not true at all.

SNES was just a Super NES
N64 well everyone transitioned to 3D then, but it still reluctantly kept cartridges like the SNES.
GameCube, pretty much a more powerful N64 now with disks.

Wii is when they changed it up but it was initially supposed to be a add on for GameCube and it basically is a suped up GameCube in fact it's fully backwards compatible with GameCube.

Wii U, well it has Wii in the name used the same architecture again they changed it up with the tablet gimmick and it failed badly

Now let's look at handhelds. Gameboy Color was basically a Gameboy with Color and more powerful. GBA is the same thing but more advanced. DS changed it up I guess, but then 3DS/2DS is more of the same thing again.

So let me get this straight based on history and the examples I gave you came to the conclusion Nintendo don't want to make more of the same after such a success device that doesn't seem to be a fad like Wii where sales dropped off. Very strange prediction, but we shall see who is right when Nintendo announces there next system

jigglet

Banned
Ok I have a new prediction:

It won't have an OLED screen.

Two reasons:

1) Switch OLED is considered a "premium" version, kind of like the XL consoles they've done in the past. They never launch with their premium version.

2) It costs more money, Nintendo is all about mass market and know a lot of their market simply won't care.

3) Nintendo is known for regressing sometimes.

Ok I have a new prediction:

It won't have an OLED screen.

Two reasons:

1) Switch OLED is considered a "premium" version, kind of like the XL consoles they've done in the past. They never launch with their premium version.

2) It costs more money, Nintendo is all about mass market and know a lot of their market simply won't care.

3) Nintendo is known for regressing sometimes.
I wouldn't be surprised, the switch oled just seems like a gimmick to get more sales out of the original hardware.

It adds nothing for me as I play docked only so I say w/e. Can't say I know what you mean by them regressing sometimes, unless you mean abandoning carts for discs or ditching the glorious wii mote.
I'm sure you meant something else lol

Anyways OP, it'll be more powerful than steam deck. I'm just not sure if it'll have 16gb ram, but the graphics solution will be better. And it won't have a blu ray drive lmao you are trolling with that one.

blacktout

That would be a first. Every Nintendo system has had an upgrade the following gen. The Switch is too successful for them not to follow up, so I see it happening again.
Have to admit that I wanted to call bullshit on this post when I first saw it, but I went over it in my head and, damn, you're right. Console, handheld. It holds up for both.

NES -> SNES
Game Boy/GBC -> Game Boy Advance
DS -> 3DS
Wii -> Wii U

The only pair that doesn't really fit this pattern are the N64 and GameCube, since they didn't share a name or branding and didn't really have a similar form factor or anything.

Vagswarm

Have to admit that I wanted to call bullshit on this post when I first saw it, but I went over it in my head and, damn, you're right. Console, handheld. It holds up for both.

NES -> SNES
Game Boy/GBC -> Game Boy Advance
DS -> 3DS
Wii -> Wii U

The only pair that doesn't really fit this pattern are the N64 and GameCube, since they didn't share a name or branding and didn't really have a similar form factor or anything.
Oh yeah, I try not to BS or troll. But I would include the N64 and Gamecube in there as well, because the N64 was their first foray into the 3D realm and the Gamecube was an upgraded version of that. All it offered was better graphics, and they themselves said that it's clear better graphics alone won't cut it anymore... then the "revolution" hype started from there, which later became the Wii.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned

My predictions

720p

Enhanced BC

256GB NVME

NVME Expansion Slot

Blu-ray Install Dock

Camera and Stylus

Switch Again for just 499

mcjmetroid

I'm just begging Nintendo to release something that will interest me again. Otherwise I'm out and I think a lot of other people will be as well.
If they merely release a Switch 2 with only better graphics but still much worse than the ps5 then they're in trouble I think.

Never count them out but I won't be buying whatever it is until at least 1 year after it's released this time to see what the lineup for the system is actually like after that.

The switch was a bit of a con in that regard. It gave you 4 of its biggest most ambitious games within months of each other. Splatoon 2,Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 and I'll even throw in their ONLY new IP Arms into that
and then poof nothing as good again.

KAL2006

Banned
Lol, it's Nintendo. Wait for that 64Gb base model. 😂

Switch already has 32GB game cards. So wouldn't a Switch 2 theoretically have 64GB game cards. If the storage is 64GB you would have many games that won't fit into internal memory. Also if the Switch ain't coming out until fall 2023 or 2024 wouldn't 128GB not be cheap to have on the base model.

Top Bottom