• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch and PS5 GTA Trilogy graphics comparison

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s close enough that most people who want to play it and only have a switch won’t care… so the comparison is pretty pointless.

Deerock71

It's a massive difference in what you see and how it feels/runs.

It's a cute comparison for the sake of it but it's just stating the obvious.

If you want to toot your horn on portability then die on that hill but it looks like a vaseline filter on top of everything lower quality while reducing all noteworthy effects.

It's cool that's it's coming but obviously the concessions and changes made to all versions make this the biggest paper tiger false positive we've had in a while.

In a sick and twisted way it looks closer to the original on PS2 with poor performance and shitty everything (compared to modern standards). But if some want to grasp at any straw and find the turd in the heap of junk then you can argue this in some capacity for the Switch version to feel validated.
#2 on the eshop charts, ahead of Metroid Dread, Shin Megami Tensei 5, Knights of the Old Republic. It's fun to watch all the detractors struggle with the five stages of grief regarding these titles on the Switch. Is this still the bargaining phase?

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
239238.jpg
230546.jpg

231597.jpg
233716.jpg

233115.jpg
230946.jpg

232548.jpg
240472.jpg

242291.jpg
243509.jpg

This is the comparison where you don't even need to watch the video, you can spot the lighting (less shadows on Switch), resolution (switch = blurry) and texture (arm hair) difference right in the thumbnail!
I don't notice much of a difference, definitely getting this on the Switch for portability.
oh sorry. I guess you were not very good at finding the differences in images as a kid.

Not that either looks amazing or that I agree how these remakes are handled (except for the controls).

Last edited:

Impotaku

To be honest both look like shit, the characters look like they were kidnapped from the sims. Probably bearable if you are a long time fan but as someone who has only ever played GTA V i can't see myself been pulled into this one it looks so damn ugly. I have better games to devote both my money & time on.

Kerotan

That's some hyperbole.

You won't notice any difference at all playing it handheld, which is the only way to play this game.
The only way to play this game is on a big ass 4k TV whether you're on switch or not.

There isn't a huge difference but the ps5 version is definitely better. Draw distance, less blurry and way less pop in. The car spawning in 50m away on the switch when there was already way less traffic shows just how dated the switch is.

I platinumed the original ps2 on ps4 version like 2 years ago and it looks like dogshit but I loved every minute of it. So I'd definitely enjoy both the switch or ps5 version.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's like watching a comparison video between the 360 and PS3 from back in the day.

Switch version is clearly missing things and is running at a lower framerate.

But honestly, shouldn't be a deal breaker for Switch owners. If you want to play the games, just play it.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
#2 on the eshop charts, ahead of Metroid Dread, Shin Megami Tensei 5, Knights of the Old Republic. It's fun to watch all the detractors struggle with the five stages of grief regarding these titles on the Switch. Is this still the bargaining phase still?
It's GTA, would you expect different?

Rationalizing aside, in the business sense we know it's going to do well.

It doesn't invalidate my sentiments.

Sales don't detract from this five stages theory you may want to coat your opinion with and I won't take anything away from the business side. Just keep in mind that this is a technical discussion.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’ll tell you having a gta on switch is a win enough did you guys forget rockstar on Nintendo doesn’t happen? As a gamer that’s what you have to look at. Switch doesn’t compete with PS5 stat wise.

Zannegan

Not everything needs defending. If you play the Switch version, you're going to have to swallow a significant downgrade even though the game isn't much of a looker to begin with. I'm no graphics whore, and even I can see the differences quite clearly on my small phone screen. The shadows are missing from some scenes for one thing.

Given the relative power of the systems, this result is to be expected. There's nothing wrong with the Switch port, it just has to work within the system's limitations. If portability makes up the difference for you, great, but acting like it won't be strikingly obvious to most people or that portable is a necessary part of experiences that were designed for consoles is just disingenuous and a bit silly.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Not everything needs defending. If you play the Switch version, you're going to have to swallow a significant downgrade even though the game isn't much of a looker to begin with. I'm no graphics whore, and even I can see the differences quite clearly on my small phone screen. The shadows are missing from some scenes for one thing.

Given the relative power of the systems, this result is to be expected. There's nothing wrong with the Switch port, it just has to work within the system's limitations. If portability makes up the difference for you, great, but acting like it won't be strikingly obvious to most people or that portable is a necessary part of experiences that were designed for consoles is just disingenuous and a bit silly.
I can see the differences, I just don't give two shits.

I think I'll just stick to playing the originals on the go via the Vita. Was considering for the Switch before launch but it's a bit naff for the price looking at comparisons, to be honest it's a bit naff all round with the current systems not hitting 4K/60 either. Maybe patches will improve things later, maybe not.

Zannegan

I can see the differences, I just don't give two shits.
And that's fine. Any version is going to look technically better than the originals, though the art style is another discussion. I was addressing the OP's spurious claims that there's no obvious difference between the Switch and PS5 versions and that portable is the only way to play.

The Switch port doesn't need defending. It is what it is, and it's good enough for what it is. Marty making a bad comparison between it and the PS5 version isn't going to do the game any favors though.

This thread could have been a lot less hostile and a lot more celebratory all round had he just posted the Switch footage and said how excited he was to play it. Instead, we had to have a little console skirmish on some really poorly chosen ground.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

Barring a miraculous future update, you probably shouldn’t buy GTA Trilogy: The Definitive Edition on Nintendo Switch.

There’s a plastic, Fortnite-like look to the characters. The main characters look fine, but so many side characters or NPCs look like their faces are actively melting in the hot San Andreas sun. This collection seemingly confirms that Vice City is located on Thunderbirds’ Tracy Island.

Where the PC, Xbox Series and PlayStation versions also received some pleasing lighting updates, the Nintendo Switch version trades that for a resolution that doesn’t look great in handheld mode, and looks even worse on television.

Things began to go wrong when we played the opening missions of San Andreas, where we had to cycle with the crew round the streets of Vinewood. We were struck by not only the low-quality textures that seem to permeate the remasters but also by just how blurry the whole game is.

Thankfully, we were on a bike and not in a vehicle because as soon as you jump into a car and approach any kind of speed, the game starts to struggle. Attempt a stunt jump and you’ll get to watch it in slow motion as the game lurches back and forth from the edge of crashing (it’s a good thing you don’t have to drive much in Grand Theft Auto, or that could become a real issue).

ouch

MiguelItUp

To each their own of course, but the differences in the thumbnail alone are large enough, lol.

From what I gathered, no one should buy these considering the state that they're in. Especially for the price they're asking.

brian0057

Banned
This is like choosing between the DVD and the Blu Ray versions of the Star Wars OT Special Editions.
You're still getting an inferior experience compared to the originals no matter what you pick.

Last edited:

boo

Gold Member
I don't notice much of a difference, definitely getting this on the Switch for portability.

16-bit versus 8-bit, that was a noticeable difference. This? Come on, it’s the same game. If anything, the PS5-version looks too dark compared to the Switch-version. Maybe if you compare it to some powerful hardware, that is a PC, there will be more of a difference.

16-bit versus 8-bit, that was a noticeable difference. This? Come on, it’s the same game. If anything, the PS5-version looks too dark compared to the Switch-version. Maybe if you compare it to some powerful hardware, that is a PC, there will be more of a difference.
Ok boomer (kidding but not)

TexMex

Look I don't really care where you play it but you are out of your mind if you don't think there's a significant difference between the two. You don't need to convince yourself its comparable, sounds like you value portability over fidelity and that's okay.

boo

Gold Member
Ok boomer (kidding but not)
To be frank, this game looks like shit on any system. But it’s GTA, they’re supposed to be enjoyable games, and now I can buy GTA for my Switch. That’s the main thing in the end. Comparing versions to see what version look the least bad, who really cares, it’s just enjoyable banter between us gamers.

Last edited:

TheTony316

I honestly think he's paid. Somewhere in his contract there's probably a line "you must mention "portable mode" in every positive line you write about the Switch version".
Yeah, that's weird. When a Switch version runs well, people call it a home console. When it runs like crap they stick to "But portable mode" or "Can PS/Xbox run this on the go?" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom