• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Game Prices- Is everyone paying full price?

Soltype

Just picked up a switch, was about to buy some games until I noticed the prices. I know I may have been spoiled by PC gaming/gamepass, but is everyone here paying full price for switch games? Some of these games are around 5 years old and are still close to full price.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
If I want the games on or close to release I pay full price for first party titles. But I use vouchers, so they aren't as expensive.

Otherwise I wait for a "sale", which always means a measly 25-33% off.

F31 Leopard

Only on very niche titles because I know they will be hard to find later on and will be more expensive to buy in the long run e.g. eBay. Other than that I wait for sales.

Robb

Gold Member
Only for new games that I really want to play day 1.

For older titles I usually wait for sales or other deals that happen from time to time. I pretty much buy all my games physically for Switch though, I assume it’s a lot more expensive if you go all digital.

Welcome to Nintendo land where no one speak about the high prices and just buys what they like. If you go to any Playstation/ Xbox thread there would be always 2 or 3 complaining about the crazy prices.
And to ask your question. Go to your local electronic store they will have better prices that Nintendo shop,
If the game you want does not have physical release then wishlist it and wait for a sale, check second hand markets and lastly if you want really something just bite the bullet.

Rykan

That's pretty much the Switch experience, yeah. The Switch is deceptively cheap: The hardware doesn't cost much, but it is by far the most expensive system to built a somewhat decent games library for. Nintendo first party games always stay full price. There is never a permanent price drop and so far they haven't introduced anything like the "Player's choice".

They do go on sale occasionally, but those sales are rare and generally not that big of a discount.

I buy all of my games digitally (Yes, I went full digital on a Nintendo platform and why yes, I do very much live on the edge) and I recommend the following:
1. Subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online. It's only 20$. This gives you access to Nintendo Vouchers that let you buy 2 games for 100$ on the eshop. Since Nintendo games are typically 60$, this means that you get a 10$ discount per game. You don't have to use the 2nd game of the voucher right away, it will stay valid for one year.

2. Wait for sales on the eshop. Nintendo eshop sales are not great but they do tend to discount several first party games at a time. They typically discount to 39$ and that's as low as they'll go. Stock up when this sale happens because the price isn't going to go down any more than that.

Jennings

I only paid full price for Mario Odyssey, Astral Chain, and Xenoblade 3. Everything else goes on a Wishlist and when it goes on sale I'll buy it then. I've also picked up some great deals on eBay for games I don't mind tracking till a good deal comes along.

I also own all the WiiU versions of the first party WiiU->Switch ports so I have never purchased any of those on Switch, otherwise there's a few I might have sprung for at full price if I didn't already have them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
In the UK, there is usually somewhere like curry's etc doing games on launch day for 35 pounds. That's when I grab them, as Nintendo games hold their pricing for much longer.

I'll often see games still at 40 or 42 pounds months after I got them for 35. Not sure if anywhere else in the world has similar stores doing similar things on launch day.

Skifi28

I only use it for a few exclusive games, everything else I buy elsewhere. No discounts is really bad, but there's no other (legal) option and Nintendo knows it.

Ellery

Nah you gotta be smart with sniping physical Switch games and for some grand release dates like BOTW2 you will probably just splurge the full price day1.

But no way I am paying full price for older games like Toad Treasure Adventure, Tropical Freeze, Luigis Mansion etc. Especially when they are from the Wii U and Nintendo is lagging in terms of bringing a sale. So I just go to ebay 2nd hand.

Pantz

For digital, they do have sales at retailers every now and then. Still $30-$40 at best. You can buy eshop cards when they go on 10% off sales for a little extra savings.

I don’t have many Switch games; besides some older ports digitally that have gone on sale for about $10 (Like the DMC games or Okami). I’ve gotten a few newer games for slightly cheaper like No More Heroes 3 ($45) and recently Monster Hunter Rise (base game $35), but bought the system itself along with Metroid Dread last year at full price.

Thankfully I have a friend who’s really in to collecting stuff and accidentally bought extra physical copies of Mario Kart and Smash Ultimate, so I luckily got those for free, but it’s very rare I buy a Switch game. Bayonetta 3 will be like the only other game I buy this year (in general, let alone Switch).

I don't pay retail for anything.

I usually wait until a major sale -- last year it was Black Friday where games were $20-$30 off in general. And I'm talking first party games since that's generally the only kind of game I get on Nintendo systems.

Eshop sales exist in abundance, and physical titles regularly go on sale at places like Amazon and Best Buy. Just set a wishlist and you’ll receive an email when any of the games go on sale. That’s how I built up my Switch library.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nintendo made game price hardly ever go down. Everything else goes on sale all the time.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yeah.

and if you've waited until 2022 to complain about Nintendo prices not going down then you've waited far too long. Nintendo games are the only games I can buy and sell at a profit after playing :messenger_tears_of_joy: i'm sometimes getting paid to play their games. it's brilliant so yeah i don't mind paying full price! worst case scenario i'm getting games at ~50%. some games i make money from selling them but vast majority i get at least 50% back of what i paid. so if i pay £50 for a game then it's really only costing me £25. doesn't matter if i buy it day 1. i can keep that game for about 1-2 years and still get most of my money back.

i'm probably one of the biggest advocates for an all digital future but Nintendo is the exception. if only PS/Xbox games held as much value.

Last edited:
You can get some digital keys at the likes of CDKeys & Kinguin, but the big hitters will still set you back the same price as the physical version with only around 10% off. Third party stuff fares better, recently got Bioshock Collection for £12 and Kill La Kill IF for £6

John Wick

I buy physical only. I have never payed full price for any Switch game yet. I don't plan to either. There is no reason for Switch games to cost that much just the pure greed of Nintendo.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anything I wanna play day one, yeah.

Other stuff I usually wait a few months and get it from Gamefly used - they have pretty good deals to clear out their old inventory, but they come with everything that new games do (box, manual if there is one, etc.). Never buy from GameStop, they open their new games before sending them out, they typically arrive covered in stickers, and a lot of time you don't even get the original case.

Chukhopops

What website do you guys use to keep track of games when they go on sale?
I use Dekudeals: https://www.dekudeals.com/

But it’s kinda useless for Nintendo first party games since they rarely go on sale and usually at -30% max.
In the UK, there is usually somewhere like curry's etc doing games on launch day for 35 pounds. That's when I grab them, as Nintendo games hold their pricing for much longer.

I'll often see games still at 40 or 42 pounds months after I got them for 35. Not sure if anywhere else in the world has similar stores doing similar things on launch day.
I go to my local supermarket which sells new Switch games for €42-45 in general. The good thing is that they keep their resell value longer so you can resell for 30 easily if you want to.

Chastten

Banned
I'm mostly physical, and most games can be bought for around €50 at launch, or very close to it so thats what I usually pay.

Which I think is a very fair price. Living in Euroland, I paid €70-80 for a game in the 90's, which is adjusted for inflation, well over a €100 now. Games have never been cheaper.

I never pay full priced for games. Gamefly does great sales on the regular and the games are mint with free shipping. I usually bite around the $30-40 mark depending on my interest. Nintendo also tends to have really solid black friday deals so I'll pick up the rest like that.

Bragr

Banned
It's a good thing, Nintendo doesn't devalue games into cheap shit.

First-party Nintendo games are usually expensive. But that also means that if you get physical, you can sell them for a good price.

Third-party get decent offers here and there.

The voucher can save you about 20 bucks or so.

If you want exclusives its always full price or at most 20% off. Since most ninty stuff I skip and indies I want are always on deep sales sooner or later I save a ton.

Calverz

first time GIF

Welcome to Nintendo

Last edited:
Are you guys this frugal (I didn't want to say cheap) with other parts of your life? You'd rather sit around for a $10-$20 discount that might happen months later than just pay for the game when you want to play it and have time?

Gaming is such a cheap form of entertainment in comparison to most things. Do you only go to the dollar theater, that shows movies 6 months after release? Do they still have those?

Do you only eat at McDonald's on Saturday nights out? And tell your spouse/date to order off the dollar menu?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't buy many games for the Switch but, if a game comes out that's very cool and I want to play day 1, then sure, I'll pay.

Soltype

It's a good thing, Nintendo doesn't devalue games into cheap shit.

First-party Nintendo games are usually expensive. But that also means that if you get physical, you can sell them for a good price.

Third-party get decent offers here and there.

The voucher can save you about 20 bucks or so.
How do you get vouchers?
Are you guys this frugal (I didn't want to say cheap) with other parts of your life? You'd rather sit around for a $10-$20 discount that might happen months later than just pay for the game when you want to play it and have time?

Gaming is such a cheap form of entertainment in comparison to most things. Do you only go to the dollar theater, that shows movies 6 months after release? Do they still have those?

Do you only eat at McDonald's on Saturday nights out? And tell your spouse/date to order off the dollar menu?
If switch was my only console then I'd probably just bite the bullet, but I have way too many games to play to justify spending so much on older titles.

My switch is hacked so I will never pay full price for a nintendo game. IDK why they don't get the flack that a company like EA gets when they are arguably the most greedy game publisher out there.

I'm buying that game with the Woman that fights with Hair and wears dark rimmed glasses and jazzy music.
whats that gonna cost me?

Kataploom

Gold Member
My switch is hacked so I will never pay full price for a nintendo game. IDK why they don't get the flack that a company like EA gets when they are arguably the most greedy game publisher out there.
Da fuck is this?

Also, all of them are greedy, some just haven't found a way to charge more and are not whiling to play the long game as Nintendo did, I pay full price and are the only devs I feel good buying games day 1 because I won't get them much cheaper, for other devs I'll most definitely wait or get them on Game Pass.

I'd say that that's a win on Nintendo's strategy that has paid them well, no matter if even if we like it or not.

Da fuck is this?
You clutching your pearls? And I don't disagree. Being a business is about greed and squeezing every dime. But since nintendos fanbase is loyal to the core they can get away with more BS than most companies when it comes to overcharging and penny pinching.

Last edited:

Furball

Yes for game that i want to play Day 1 . Moreover , Nintendo Physical game can be sell back at decent price like 65 -90 % the price depend on popularity which can recoup the money if i don't like that game unlike Sony game which lost 70 % of the price after 2 week

Rykan

Because what they aren't doing isn't "Greedy". Video games don't drop in price out of kindness, they drop in price as interest in older title wanes. That just doesn't happen with Nintendo games, hence they stay the same price.

Lady Jane

Banned
Yes, they're full price though it doesn't bother me. 90% of our playtime has been Mario Kart and Mario Party. Easily one of the best games out there where you get the most bang for your buck. I think we've spent maybe $200 total on Switch games in 3 years yet its our most played console.

Last edited:
Because what they aren't doing isn't "Greedy". Video games don't drop in price out of kindness, they drop in price as interest in older title wanes. That just doesn't happen with Nintendo games, hence they stay the same price.
You know a game price can be artificially inflated? Isn't nintendo known for intentionally making products scarce in order to artificially inflate the price? That's scummy. On top of that many companies drop the price to boost sales...tlou2 would continue to sell but the price drops over time to maintain interest . Nintendo has the price of BOTW wii u still at 60$...thats all artificial inflation right there because no one is buying that at 60$ anymore.

kunonabi

I'm digital so nope, stuff goes on sale pretty regularly and eshop cards get discounted like every month as well.

Fbh

If you are willing to engage with the annoyances of the second hand market you can play a lot of Nintendo games "for free". Since they almost never drop in price and sales are rare, they usually hold their second hand value nicely too.
I'll usually buy Switch games used for $45-50, play them, and resell them for $45-50

Yes for game that i want to play Day 1 . Moreover , Nintendo Physical game can be sell back at decent price like 65 -90 % the price depend on popularity which can recoup the money if i don't like that game unlike Sony game which lost 70 % of the price after 2 week

I wish I could buy used Ps5 games for $20 bucks after 2 weeks.

Gambit2483

You could go digital and wait/hope for an eventual sale...Or you could wait until the carts go out of print and the price doubles.

If switch was my only console then I'd probably just bite the bullet, but I have way too many games to play to justify spending so much on older titles.
I get that. I'm also the type to only play a single game at a time. If the game I want to play that weekend, etc is full price, I wouldn't think about waiting for a potential sale months later.

It works both ways with Switch too. Assuming you buy physical, the games retain their value and can almost always be sold back for near full price whenever you're finished.

Top Bottom