• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Game Prices- Is everyone paying full price?

Rykan

You know a game price can be artificially inflated? Isn't nintendo known for intentionally making products scarce in order to artificially inflate the price? That's scummy. On top of that many companies drop the price to boost sales...tlou2 would continue to sell but the price drops over time to maintain interest . Nintendo has the price of BOTW wii u still at 60$...thats all artificial inflation right there because no one is buying that at 60$ anymore.
Not lowering your prices doesn't mean that you're artificially inflating them. The only product I know of that they made that was kinda iffy were the amibos and that Mario collection that was only available temporarily. I don't know of any other products that they've made that is scarce.

About BOTW, you're specifically referring to the Wiiu version. Both versions are basically the same, so it makes sense they are at a similar price point, especially since BOTW still sells.

Furball

I wish I could buy used Ps5 games for $20 bucks after 2 weeks.

In my country , PS5 game second hand is about that price around 20 -30 $ . :messenger_sunglasses: even some new game right now drop to 35 $ - 40 $ while most switch game still nearly full price

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Last month due to some saving up I bought

Metroid Dread 35€
R-Type Final 2 35%
Xenoblade Chronicles Remastered 30(5?)€

SteadyEvo

1st
Just picked up a switch, was about to buy some games until I noticed the prices. I know I may have been spoiled by PC gaming/gamepass, but is everyone here paying full price for switch games? Some of these games are around 5 years old and are still close to full price.
1st Nintendo console? Their games never go on sale. Gotta pay for high quality.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
You know a game price can be artificially inflated? Isn't nintendo known for intentionally making products scarce in order to artificially inflate the price? That's scummy. On top of that many companies drop the price to boost sales...tlou2 would continue to sell but the price drops over time to maintain interest . Nintendo has the price of BOTW wii u still at 60$...thats all artificial inflation right there because no one is buying that at 60$ anymore.
How can they "artificially inflate" the price if all they do is not reduce it? They're not increasing it, the shit they do with their Collectors Editions are what basically artificially increase the price (even tho it's not intentional, they don't get more money because of that, resellers do).

They just have a long term strategy to create perceived value on their catalog by not selling them for peanuts. Nintendo games tend to come complete tho (not counting their modern sport games), most companies reduce their game prices over the time since they mostly rely on MTX and DLC lowering the entry barrier.

I wish they were cheaper but that's what it is. I'll probably pay full price for Sekiro some time this year, btw, A 2019 game and just paid $30 for Dark Souls remaster, which is basically a 2011 game but couldn't pay $60 for, say, Horizon or TLOU because they'll get price reduction by the time I'll probably want to play them.

Donwel

Neo Member
Just picked up a switch, was about to buy some games until I noticed the prices. I know I may have been spoiled by PC gaming/gamepass, but is everyone here paying full price for switch games? Some of these games are around 5 years old and are still close to full price.
Depends of if I can get them cheaper somewhere. I bought Monster Hunter Rise last week for £34.89, around £5-£10 cheaper than most other places I looked were selling it for. Also fairly cheap for a Switch game from a big studio.
For first party titles you've got no chance, Breath of the Wild I still see being sold for £50+ on some stores, though every now and then Nintendo do an eshop sale that reduces the price by 33%. The only thing I can suggest for first party titles (if you want them physical) is to get them early, as Nintendo games are very likely to increase in price the longer they're out there, just take a look at the Pokémon DS games. Hell even the 3DS games are starting to sky rocket.

Nautilus

Banned
Da fuck is this?
Talk Like A Pirate Day GIF

Marvel14

Banned
I'm mostly physical, and most games can be bought for around €50 at launch, or very close to it so thats what I usually pay.

Which I think is a very fair price. Living in Euroland, I paid €70-80 for a game in the 90's, which is adjusted for inflation, well over a €100 now. Games have never been cheaper.
So few people realise this. Genesis games cost $40 in 1992 in the US...thats $83 today.

Soltype

1st

1st Nintendo console? Their games never go on sale. Gotta pay for high quality.
No,but my last Nintendo console was the Wii.I remember them dropping the price of their games, don't know why they stopped.
So few people realise this. Genesis games cost $40 in 1992 in the US...thats $83 today.
Yeah it was way more expensive then, we usually spent $50-$60 for SNES/Gen games.

Shifty1897

Buy physical used for ~$45, play it, sell it on eBay for ~$45. You just played a Switch game for the cost of shipping.

Follow me for more life hacks.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
On a few I had to, if I can get good second hand copies it's a bonus. I went through a brain fart period and sold off a few only to get the urge to re collect and find the prices shot up..

Still gutted I sold off The Witcher 3 complete :messenger_crying:

Impotaku

1st party rarely if ever drops in price you either cough up the cash or not buy & learn to embrace 3rd party stuff more instead. I import a lot so i'm usually paying top whack for everything but indie stuff tends to drop to a few thousand yen if i wait a few months. Either way i'm working so i don't really care as i can afford it.

Switch is one of the remaining few that actually put the whole game on the cart so none of this here's a installer and download the rest, however shitty western 3rd parties have broken this rule by cheaping out and using smaller capacity carts. But everyone else at least tries, so you buy a cart you don't need to rely on a 50 gig bugfix to make it work.

My switch is hacked so I never pay for a nintendo game. IDK why they don't get the flack that a company like EA gets when they are arguably the most greedy game publisher out there.
Fixed that for you

Last edited:
My Switch lite is collecting dust from the prices. I know it'll never happen but holy christ would I love a game pass/PS+ equivalent for their modern stuff.

Daytonabot

Banned
I'm not going to lie and say that I've never bought a Switch game at full price, but it's been a while. When the system first launched, it filled a unique need for me, so I had it preordered with BotW and bought many of the big released. However, those were the Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked days, so the games were 20% off. I also took advantage of Walmart's $10 off in-store policy for things like Astral Chain, but those days sadly appear to be over as well.

Now Nintendo is asking $60 for what are architecturally speaking mobile games running on 2017 technology at the latest, and that's just not compelling. Instead I wait for B2G1 sales and will not buy third-party US retail games at all, because they're all coming to Steam eventually. I'm still in for M2's Japanese Shottriggers line though, especially with the Flip Grip. God bless the weak Yen.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

Eh, not purchasing (any time soon) Nintendo published games to be honest, so I really don't care. But indie titles and third party games, I would say it's up with the other stores.
Probably not going to happen but it's about time to Nintendo to bring back the "Nintendo Selects"...

Lognor

Banned
No. If that was the case you would see retailers dropping prices to clear out inventory that isn't selling. That rarely happens. Nintendo games have huge legs. The Switch is still the best selling console this year. You don't think a lot of people picking up a switch aren't buying botw? Gtfo. Of course they are. Don't pretend otherwise.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Switch is the only platform I buy physical for any more. They don't go as low as third party but you can often get better deals on physical than you can on digital. The only one I paid full price for was Mario Kart.

Last edited:
Wal Mart charges $50 for nearly all Nintendo published games.

I bought a bunch of games when GameStop had them under $40 new *accesses emails*

26.99 for BOTW, Kirby Star Allies, Fire emblem a year ago. think I did an order with other games too

Last edited:

Soltype

went to 2 used game stores, felt like bizarro world. $45 for used 4 year old games, ended up getting mario oddysey from BB new for $42.Got a copy of Bayo2 used for 40 on ebay smh

Last edited:

kubricks

Yes for new games that is worth the premium to play Day 1, like Mario Odyssey, BOTW, Astral Chain etc.
For other games I can wait, I will wait for eshop discount or buy them 2nd hand.

To be honest though, at this stage of my life the games' price is really a non-issue, thus the games cost about as much in the past I am not sure what I am comparing to.
I have a legit Super mario bros 3 cartridge for the SNES and it was eye-watering expensive lol.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

I wait for deals if im honest, eshop at times (which are rare pretty much summer and xmas time) have 30 to 40% off there games but there never under £30 unless its a third party game, i recently got xenoblade 2 for about £33, triangle strategy is going for that price on amazon now but yeah alot of Nintendo games are incredibly expensive, only thing thats decent about the switch is you can get indie games dirt cheap compared to xbox and ps though

Soltype

Ok I got a free year of online, and spent 30 for the expansion.What's up with the 64 games on switch, I can't seem to remap the buttons, or does it require the 64 controller?

Top Bottom