• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch hack seller Gary Bowser inprisoned for 40 months and fined 10 million dollars

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

716148_600x315.jpg

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Such a ridiculous waste to put someone in prison over this.
Unless he was selling ROMs it shouldn't matter let people do what they want with the shit they buy.
This is from the article:

"Bowser was involved with the creation and selling devices used to hack video game consoles such as Switch. In doing so, users were able to circumvent console security measures and ultimately play games for free"

MachRc

DAmn going to have to move one of my HAC-001 to Atmosphere.

RIP SXOS(like fo~realz)

and dont get raped Gary Opa

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned

"Bowser was involved with the creation and selling devices used to hack video game consoles such as Switch. In doing so, users were able to circumvent console security measures and ultimately play games for free"
There has to be more to this. I thought hacking was legal aslong as you don't pirate? How can they say what people bought the device for?

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I'm 100% sure he didn't get put on jail and fined for only hacking his own switch but disseminating information on how to do it, among others did. He had kept it to himself noone would have known about it 🤷🏿‍♂️
Information is not a crime. Not to mention this didn't stop anything. The information is still out there and someone else is going to make the device.

There has to be more to this. I thought hacking was legal aslong as you don't pirate? How can they say what people bought the device for?
exactly.

This is like "potential" money cost that "could" have "possibly" been "lost" due to his activities. I"m sorry we don't want to live in a world where fake or future crimes can be prosecuted. Especially when the company is making billions of dollars.

10 million is lifetimes for this guy. It is FRACTIONS of PENNIES for a company like Nintendo.

Last edited:

cjp

Unless he was selling ROMs it shouldn't matter let people do what they want with the shit they buy.

It literally says in the article:

“According to Bowser himself, he was paid $1,000 a month to market and distribute the hacking devices to retailers. Additionally, he managed Team Xecuter’s websites and created “online libraries of pirated videogames for its customers.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If I remember correctly, this was the guy behind the Team Executor / SX modchip for the Switch. So he was manufacturing modchips and selling them to distributors worldwide. I believe he was also caught distributing ROM files. So, kind of a double-whammy no-no when it comes to piracy.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is pretty ridiculous. The system was insecure and there is an open source hack anyone can use. Charging someone for profiting off of the hack is fine, but 10 million and years? That is fucking inhuman. It values profits and making a useless example over sanity. The real culprit here are Nintendo's security engineers. They fucked up. And Nvidia's did as well, but ultimately the engineers that put parts in a system need to secure them. Nintendo should be fining their incompetent security team for 10 million, plus the value lost to those that use the free hack.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It literally says in the article:

“According to Bowser himself, he was paid $1,000 a month to market and distribute the hacking devices to retailers. Additionally, he managed Team Xecuter’s websites and created “online libraries of pirated videogames for its customers.
This is not true. You didn't get access to libraries of pirated games from Bowser or anyone associated with the hack. If he created something it wasn't linked to or advertised as part of the SX product.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Now his mom can go downstairs, Clean and open windows for fresh air and sunlight.
At least until he comes back home in 3 years...

Pejo

Now his mom can go downstairs, Clean and open windows for fresh air and sunlight.
I missed in the article where it says he was a Smash Bros player.

So law "experts" - what happens when he gets out and obviously can't pay the 10 mil? More jail time?

Xmengrey

And? people back the Switch for homebrew not just piracy he shouldn't be held responsible if people pirate.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I missed in the article where it says he was a Smash Bros player.

So law "experts" - what happens when he gets out and obviously can't pay the 10 mil? More jail time?
They garnish his wages for the rest of his life, probably.

Closer

This is not true. You didn't get access to libraries of pirated games from Bowser or anyone associated with the hack. If he created something it wasn't linked to or advertised as part of the SX product.

He made a subscription service where people paid to have access to pirated Switch games. Looks like you've not been following this closely.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Bowser was involved with the creation and selling devices used to hack video game consoles such as Switch. In doing so, users were able to circumvent console security measures and ultimately play games for free. According to Bowser himself, he was paid $1,000 a month to market and distribute the hacking devices to retailers. Additionally, he managed Team Xecuter’s websites and created “online libraries of pirated videogames for its customers.”

Was that the extent of his compensation? $1000/month?

Top Bottom