• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch hack seller Gary Bowser inprisoned for 40 months and fined 10 million dollars

HTK

Banned
Don't do illegal shit and you won't have these problems. But since he decided to do illegal shit and Nintendo wanted to make an example out of him, "THE END".

Wish these companies would do the same for cheat makers, get them all outta here.

ManaByte

Nintendo wanted to make an example out of him

R.03ac04e7f557ef5e2e6c00280aea8542

quest

Not Banned from OT
Prison???

PRISON???
Don't put up a site to download other people's hard earned work for profit. No different than walking into best buy and stealing ps5 games and selling them on ebay. I guarantee he had chances to stop but tossed the letters from attorneys in the trash until the cops came.

"Additionally, he managed Team Xecuter’s websites and created “online libraries of pirated videogames for its customers.”"

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
But don't worry guys, they caught the real person ruining gaming and made them pay the price!! How dare impact these multi-billion dollar companies; HE HAD TO BE STOPPED!!!

So if someone comes into your house and robs you blind it's ok because there are bigger fish to fry? How the hell does that work.

. . .you can argue that copyright law is outdated (I don't think it is personally), but it is a law and breaking a law tends to get you jailtime, regardless of who else you think is breaking a law (or that a company releases a buggy game - the fuck that does that have to do with anything).

daveonezero

Banned
lol where on earth did you get this idea from? Sharing information about how to do a crime is absolutely a crime.
That is insane. In what jurisdiction is sharing information illegal? Why is the internet still a thing if this is common on "earth"

There are tons of resources for how to do crime on the internet. Not a single one is getting shut down.

The Information being discussed in the thread isn't even about hurting people. It is literally just sharing information, right to repair and hacking devices.

v4CFmuw.jpg

Melon Husk

Don't put up a site to download other people's hard earned work for profit. No different than walking into best buy and stealing ps5 games and selling them on ebay. I guarantee he had chances to stop but tossed the letters from attorneys in the trash until the cops came.

"Additionally, he managed Team Xecuter’s websites and created “online libraries of pirated videogames for its customers.”"
Is this man a danger to society? Does he need to be put in a correctional facility?

Do they have evidence that this man holds a vendetta against Nintendo - - is this man so dangerous to Nintendo that they had to have him locked up until Switch is end-of-life?

So if someone comes into your house and robs you blind it's ok because there are bigger fish to fry? How the hell does that work.

. . .you can argue that copyright law is outdated (I don't think it is personally), but it is a law and breaking a law tends to get you jailtime, regardless of who else you think is breaking a law (or that a company releases a buggy game - the fuck that does that have to do with anything).
I and people I know have had theirs houses robbed and you know why the police didnt recover any of the goods? Because there was bigger fish to fry. Poor analogy for a start. Law is one thing, reality is another.

I never absolved the guy of what he did. I simply pointed out how this is absolutely microscopic compared to the crimes and manipulation being imposed by large gaming corporations, yet it makes headlines. It's simply a matter of personal priorities. I can not muster an ounce of shit to give about this when the company who sued him have been a part of some egregious business practices for many years and they are by no means the worst one. The amount of money he made, the amount of people affected by his actions, literal flash in the pan.

"The fuck does that have to do with anything" hmmmmm.... interesting. So you've never heard of consumer standards? Do you return items when they are faulty, broken or completely not up to par/worth the value? Have you tried returning Arceus on the basis of it being a full priced, fully patched game that runs single fps animations that is inarguably below the standards set by the industry? Good luck with that. But no matter, they have broken no laws and therefore have done nothing wrong right?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I never absolved the guy of what he did. I simply pointed out how this is absolutely microscopic compared to the crimes and manipulation being imposed by large gaming corporations

Again. . .this is completely irrelevant. It isn't "We can do one or the other but not both." If NINTENDO is committing a crime (and no, never offering a sale on MK8 doesn't count) then they should be investigated by the DOJ/SEC/whomever. That doesn't stop the division of the DOJ that handles copyright law from going after - wait for it - copyright infringers.

But no matter, they have broken no laws and therefore have done nothing wrong right?

I'm sure you know the difference between ethical and/or moral crimes and statutory crimes. Surely.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Looks like some would put in the part where he was selling bundles of pirated games as a service in the OP.

Again. . .this is completely irrelevant. It isn't "We can do one or the other but not both." If NINTENDO is committing a crime (and no, never offering a sale on MK8 doesn't count) then they should be investigated by the DOJ/SEC/whomever. That doesn't stop the division of the DOJ that handles copyright law from going after - wait for it - copyright infringers.

I'm sure you know the difference between ethical and/or moral crimes and statutory crimes. Surely.
Was my point not extremely clear that the issue is a moral/ethical one?

Again did not absolve him of anything and did not ever imply his criminal act was not criminal. I'm talking about reality which is slightly more complicated.

I personally think it is important that we point how this is an absolute nothing burger when it comes to who is really taking money out of ppls pockets.

Something does not have to be labelled as a crime to be bad. Loot boxes are bad but they are also legal in most countries, selling loot boxes in belgium however is illegal. The point is to have some perspective and not applaud Nintendo for convicting this dangerous criminal, while they continue to employ some pretty shady (but not illegal, yet) business practices.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
This is from the article:

"Bowser was involved with the creation and selling devices used to hack video game consoles such as Switch. In doing so, users were able to circumvent console security measures and ultimately play games for free"
Where can I get one?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The point is to have some perspective and not applaud Nintendo for convicting this dangerous criminal, while they continue to employ some pretty shady (but not illegal, yet) business practices.

. . .you're pulling things out of your arse here. Point to the people "applauding" NINTENDO. Pushing back on the narrative of "this is blown out of proportion!" is not carrying water for NINTENDO - it is pushing back on the narrative of "this is blown out of proportion!"

People can - and often do - hold two thoughts at once.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds fair to me. He was messing with breaking into products and selling hacks for money. Which in turn keeps the cycle of piracy going.

Although to be fair, every one of us has played pirated games at some point. So if Bowser goes to jail, wouldn't it make sense any of us get penalized too knowing we've all played downloaded Genesis roms or old ass PC copies?

As for anyone who defends breaking into products, there's a big difference between intellectual property (especially things that are software based since it can be copied and transmitted) and someone who will bring up "Well, Samsung doesn't prevent me from opening and fixing my microwave do they?"

The difference is that if you open up your microwave, there's nothing to steal from Samsung or can you send free microwaves to friends. With software, all it takes is one guy to crack it and suddenly anyone can steal it.

Also, for anyone who brings up "Well, you shouldn't penalize a hacker if he never made money off it", that's a BS reason too. That's like saying it's ok to steal Coke's formula as long as you promise to never tell anyone or sell it. See? Pretty dumb defence reason.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

From what I understand it was the ROMS and profits that did him in more than the hacking.
Never cross the streams.

Also Nintendo still sees value in their old games and people still pay for them either through collections and services. I mean, his surname, the story just writes itself. Nintendo should hire this guy secretly to test their next Switch for holes.

Hinedorf

Banned
The fact Sony stopped selling Cyberpunk after having plenty of time to at any point prior to actually test that the game would work...but oh that's right they had already turned a profit from all of developments costs from preorders that internally who really cared at that point, Sony saw the numbers CDPR was pulling and didn't care, jokes on us

Even more egregious Marvel Avengers by Square Enix, you can still purchase skins with REAL MONEY in a game that is functionally broken to this day and the games original advertised DLC on initial game release only became available nearly A YEAR after launch date

What Nintendo/SquareEnix/CDPR all have in common? Profit. Profit despite piracy, profit despite mismanagement, profit despite failure to deliver on promises. Profit with scummy tactics already considered illegal in some countries.

Nintendo/SquareEnix/CDPR will skirt every loophole they can to turn a profit and fall far closer to the side of illegal practices because at the end of the day they can win the legal battle Gary Bowser got completely railroaded for.

I don't condone piracy but this is an example of an entity with unlimited authority over somebody and using every full extent of that to keep their knee on their neck until they've shown to everybody in a public setting how important the low man is. Again I'm not condoning piracy, I'm simply flabbergasted at the punitive damage here versus folks who rape and murder people.

Last edited:

TheKratos

Damn son, don't fuck with Mario.

Jokes aside, it's messed up for companies in which individuals work hard on developing games to see their games get pirated. Many will say bbbbut those who pirate wouldn't have bought the game anyway but that's not quantifiable.

. . .you're pulling things out of your arse here. Point to the people "applauding" NINTENDO. Pushing back on the narrative of "this is blown out of proportion!" is not carrying water for NINTENDO - it is pushing back on the narrative of "this is blown out of proportion!"

People can - and often do - hold two thoughts at once.
What exactly am I pulling out of my ass? How disingenuous can you be?

Throughout this thread ppl have praised this action. And throughout Gaf, nintendo are constantly praised for thier practices and standards.

Ppl can have as many thoughts as they wish, I am not dismissing anyone's thoughts, some might even hold more than 2 at the same time. Merely pointing out ,that those simultaneous thoughts should still exist within a pecking order.

I was simply sharing my thoughts, was not demanding that you agree with them, nor do I care if you do.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What exactly am I pulling out of my ass? How disingenuous can you be?

Arguments that NO ONE is making and shit completely pointless to the actual points people are making. Grousing about "Cyberfart 7022 was so buggy at release, let my Bowser go!" as if that addresses what people have been saying: like it or not, the guy was running a scheme profiting off of copyrighted material that is illegal in the US. Full frakking stop.

Throughout this thread ppl have praised this action.

Not a single person has done this. Again. Arse-pulling. The overwhelmingly majority of people are either criticizing NINTENDO for pushing this or - while recognizing the sentencing might not even be what NINTENDO wants - pointing out that copyright law isn't ambiguous in regards to profiting off of piracy. None of the responses so far - even the snarky ones laughing at the guys misfortune - have been advocating for NINTENDO or this sentence in the way you are suggesting.

I am not dismissing anyone's thoughts

You have quite literally been doing this the entire thread.

Top Bottom