• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch hack seller Gary Bowser inprisoned for 40 months and fined 10 million dollars

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Meh. US Prison sentencing in general is sort of ridiculous.

But fine with the creation of and selling devices designed to hack security measures being illegal.

Astral Dog

40 months in jail isn't really THAT much time for what he did, he ignored the warnings and should get a little more than a slap on the wrist, if this were another company people would be talking differently but since its just videogames dude shouldn't get punished for breaking the law,i mean this not just some random teenager who hacked his Switch to pirate games,it goes much further dumbass knew perfectly what he was doing and was making money off it

Now 10 million dollars? Thats crazy not sure what they are supposed to get out of this,or how that even works, its a stupid demand

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
It’s worth noting that Max Louarn of France and Yuanning Chen of China, two other Team Xecuter members, have been charged by the DOJ. However, they are not currently in custody.

:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Arguments that NO ONE is making and shit completely pointless to the actual points people are making. Grousing about "Cyberfart 7022 was so buggy at release, let my Bowser go!" as if that addresses what people have been saying: like it or not, the guy was running a scheme profiting off of copyrighted material that is illegal in the US. Full frakking stop.
Incorrect, look through Gaf history of Nintendo related threads across many years. No i will not be going through those threads for you sorry. Bringing up cyberpunk? Glad we are staying on track lol Dude your obsession with the law being some absolute power is quite funny and comes across as naive. People break the law every day good sir, breaking the law does not result in legal penalisation,getting caught/being endlessly pursued by a powerful entity does. Anyone who has pirated movies/games, partaken in under drinking or smoked substances that may be considered illegal in their country, is very well aware of this. People are in prison in the US right now for possession of cannabis, in states where possession is no longer illegal, but they should stay in prison because they broke the law, "full frakking stop" right? Fuck ethics and morality, why even consider the real world impact of these actions when the law has been broken? The impact he had on their business was microscopic. The impact they have had on his life are completely irreversible. Relatively speaking, the punishment by no means fits the crime, its more comparable to a petty crime. It's like if someone on an average annual income having a few pennies go missing from their account. Should the thief be punished? Ofcourse. Should thier entire lives be destroyed because of it? Not too sure I'd agree with that. $10 mil debt and 40 months in prison is life over for that guy.
Not a single person has done this. Again. Arse-pulling. The overwhelmingly majority of people are either criticizing NINTENDO for pushing this or - while recognizing the sentencing might not even be what NINTENDO wants - pointing out that copyright law isn't ambiguous in regards to profiting off of piracy. None of the responses so far - even the snarky ones laughing at the guys misfortune - have been advocating for NINTENDO or this sentence in the way you are suggesting.
Incorrect again, many people have supported this action. Saying people applauded Nintendo might have been hyperbole on my part but ppl people are very clearly happy with this outcome. You are stoically defending it right now.
You have quite literally been doing this the entire thread.
Addressing someone's thoughts is, by nature, not dismissing them. Statements like "like it or not, the guy was running a scheme profiting off of copyrighted material that is illegal in the US. Full frakking stop", are highly dismissive. Your argument rests solely on the infallibility of the law, like your some Judge Dredd cartoon ("I AM THE LAW"), but yet you wholeheartedly dismissed every counter point regarding ethics and morality, which are typically pretty relevant points when discussing the lives of human beings.

Feel free to have the last word brother, I'm out.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Incorrect, look through Gaf history of Nintendo related threads across many years.

Nope. Why nope? Because it isn't occurring in this thread. What a nonsense statement: "Go scour the internet, you can find a random backing up my comment."

Statements like "like it or not, the guy was running a scheme profiting off of copyrighted material that is illegal in the US. Full frakking stop", are highly dismissive.

It is a literal statement of fact. Contrast this with "Well MAYBE he did something wrong, b-b-but NINTENDO. And SONY. And big corporations!" You are telling people to at worst dismiss, at best depreciate, their opinion on the fellows conduct and sentencing.

Incorrect again, many people have supported this action. Saying people applauded Nintendo might have been hyperbole on my part but ppl people are very clearly happy with this outcome. You are stoically defending it right now.

I don't care about the outcome. I doubt many of the people commenting on this case do. It is a guy none of us know getting sentenced for repeatedly violating a pretty obvious law. There are a ton of laws I don't agree with, doesn't mean I'm going to act stunned when someone is caught doing so and is punished for it. As someone in this thread said "Play stupid games win stupid prizes." Not howling about the "injustice of it all!" is not synonymous with "glee."

Feel free to have the last word brother, I'm out.

Oh stuff it. One of the most transparent "I want the last word in this argument so I'm going to poison any desire to respond to my message" I've ever seen. People who take the highroad (or think they are) don't typically make efforts to let others know they are taking the highroad. They just jump on their horse and take it.

This guy must have made fucking stupid money from this then put a bunch of it into crypto just incase he did get locked up. He'll prolly get bail easy.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
doubt he is. no idea what happens if you just don't pay though. more time in prison? forced under some kind of financial scheme by a judge?

He'll file for bankruptcy no doubt. Whether he can get discharged I dunno, but it's an option. What he can't do is just ignore it (that's more jailtime).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

716148_600x315.jpg

Good! Throw this thief in jail. Maybe he'll only do 20 months, but it had to happen.

Top Bottom