• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch JRPG's for a WRPG fan

AppleBlade

JRPG's used to be my favorite genre but I dropped them in the early 2000's in favor of WRPG's (games from Bioware, Bethesda, etc.). I recently got a Switch Oled and will be playing it a lot more instead of my home consoles due to some life changes. I was thinking of dedicating some time to revisiting my once favorite genre. My favorite JRPG's from when I was growing up were Chronotrigger, FF7, Suikoden, Xenogears and FF10 (that was the last JRPG I played).

I like games with impressive visuals (stylistically or technically), high production values, coherent stories with interesting characters. I like the feeling of progression that comes with leveling up but I do not like excessive grinding. I also can't stand confusing menu systems. I like interesting worlds filled with lore but I like when the main objectives are clear.

I've done some preliminary research and it seems like these are the best JRPG's on the system. Given my tastes and preferences can you give me any insight on which ones I should check out or personal favorites of yours and why?

Atelier Ryza 2: Legends & the Secret Fairy
Bravely Default
Bravely Default 2
Disgaea 4
Disgaea 5
Disgaea 6
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Final Fanasy X-2 (the last JRPG I ever played was Final Fantasy X)
Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
Monster Hunter Rise
Monster Hunter Stories 2
NEO: The World Ends with You
Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Octopath Traveler
Persona 5 Strikers
Pokemon Arceus (I've never played a Pokemon game)
Pokemon Sword & Shield
Rune Factory 4 Special
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster
Shin Megami Tensei V
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
Valkyria Chronicles
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna
Y's VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Shin Megami Tensei V is missing from that list which I would highly recommend.
Shin-Megami-Tensei-V---Nintendo-Switch

also can't stand confusing menu systems.
I LOVE Xenoblade Chronicles series but you want stay away from those games if you dont like working with menus.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Since you've included Fire Emblem, I would assume SRPG would suffice

You've could try the new Triangle Strategy too, or Super Robot Wars V/X/T/30

The former is basically Game of Throne + Fire Emblem + Tactics Ogre, the latter is for those that are into mecha anime (like Gundam), or just anime as a whole (They do rarely include anime that does not focus on mecha)

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
JRPG's used to be my favorite genre but I dropped them in the early 2000's in favor of WRPG's (games from Bioware, Bethesda, etc.). I recently got a Switch Oled and will be playing it a lot more instead of my home consoles due to some life changes. I was thinking of dedicating some time to revisiting my once favorite genre. My favorite JRPG's from when I was growing up were Chronotrigger, FF7, Suikoden, Xenogears and FF10 (that was the last JRPG I played).

I like games with impressive visuals (stylistically or technically), high production values, coherent stories with interesting characters. I like the feeling of progression that comes with leveling up but I do not like excessive grinding. I also can't stand confusing menu systems. I like interesting worlds filled with lore but I like when the main objectives are clear.

I've done some preliminary research and it seems like these are the best JRPG's on the system. Given my tastes and preferences can you give me any insight on which ones I should check out or personal favorites of yours and why?

Atelier Ryza 2: Legends & the Secret Fairy
Bravely Default
Bravely Default 2
Disgaea 4
Disgaea 5
Disgaea 6
Final Fanasy X-2 (the last JRPG I ever played was Final Fantasy X)
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
Monster Hunter Rise
Monster Hunter Stories 2
NEO: The World Ends with You
Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom
Octopath Traveler
Persona 5 Strikers
Pokemon Arceus (I've never played a Pokemon game)
Pokemon Sword & Shield
Rune Factory 4 Special
Shin Megami Tensei V
Valkyria Chronicles
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna
Y's VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Do you like real-time combat or turned based?
Do you love random encounters?
Do you prefer grid based strategy RPG's or anime traditional RPG's?
Dungeon crawlers or open world RPG's?

AppleBlade

Do you like real-time combat or turned based?
Do you love random encounters?
Do you prefer grid based strategy RPG's or anime traditional RPG's?
Dungeon crawlers or open world RPG's?
I like real time combat but I am perfectly fine with turn-based IF they're not frequent & random. The whole walking 4 steps and having a random battle appear was one of the things that made me drop the genre.

I have more experience with traditional RPG's but I loved Final Fantasy Tactics and this question actually reminded me of Jean D'Arc which is a SRPG that I loved on the PSP.

I prefer open world RPG's though I've never really given Dungeon Crawlers a shot.

Xeaker

Shin Megami Tensei V
These are the games from your list I think are ok/good JRPG.

Last edited:

Metnut

SMT 5 and Triangle Strategy look like the best games on your list and given your preferences.

DQ11 is good too.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I like real time combat but I am perfectly fine with turn-based IF they're not frequent & random. The whole walking 4 steps and having a random battle appear was one of the things that made me drop the genre.

I have more experience with traditional RPG's but I loved Final Fantasy Tactics and this question actually reminded me of Jean D'Arc which is a SRPG that I loved on the PSP.

I prefer open world RPG's though I've never really given Dungeon Crawlers a shot.
Xenoblade 2
Triangle Strategy just came out and is like FF Tactics
Octopath is a more top down traditional RPG in the style of Triangle Strategy
Valkyria Chronicles 4 is a good SRPG with kind of a unique military theme
Dragon's Dogma is by Capcom and is the most like the traditional open world Western RPG

Dream-Knife

Banned
Xenoblade 2 is my favorite game on the platform. The story, music, exploration, setting, combat, etc is chefs kiss.

However the game seems to be highly polarizing; people either love it or hate it.

Well You missed a few off the top of my head...

Dragons Dogma -- Capcom made amazing rpg.
Dark Souls remastered
Triangle Strategy (just came out, FFT like)
Valkyria chronicles 1 and 4
Disgaea 1 remake.
Grandia HD Collection
Star Ocean 2
Rune Factory 4 (Rune Factory 5 comes out this month)
Trials of Mana remake (amazing)
Mana Collection
Legend of Mana
Dq1-3, Dq11
FF 7,8,9,10,12
Tales of Vesparia
Xenoblade chronicles 1 and 2.
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Fire emblem shadow dragon
Fire emblem 3 houses
Shiren the wanderer
SMT 3 and 4
Ys Origin
Ys 8
Ys 9

Also some western rpgs
Vampyr
Titan Quest
Diablo 2 / 3
Torchlight 2
Kingdom of Amaluar
Baldurs gate 1&2
Icewind dale / Torment
Neverwinter Nights1
Baldurs gate dark alliance
KOTOR
Witcher 3
Divinity Orginal Sin 2
Call of Cthuluhu
Battle Brothers

The switch really is a treasure trove, it could always use more though.

Don't skimp on Indies and metroidvanias either:
Devil Slayer Raksasi
Children of moria
Castlevania collection
Blood Stained
Tangledeep
Throne Breaker Witcher tales
Dead Cells
Cat Quest
Vagante
Heroes of Hammerwatch
Darkest Dungeon
Vigil
Unexplored
Slay the spire.

Last edited:
Xenoblade 2 is my favorite game on the platform. The story, music, exploration, setting, combat, etc is chefs kiss.

However the game seems to be highly polarizing; people either love it or hate it.
I really got bored (although i loved the physical "assets" of some of the characters). I also own the first game but never played it, just wanted it in my collection. Is the story better in the first game?

Ladioss

Chronotrigger, FF7, Suikoden, Xenogears and FF10 (that was the last JRPG I played).
The Grandia HD collection should really tickle your nostalgia bone, you have the right experience and probably the right age group for that.

If you are feeling adventurous (and if you like like system-heavy RPGs), you should give the Saga games and/or SMT5 a try.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Well You missed a few off the top of my head...

Dragons Dogma -- Capcom made amazing rpg.
Dark Souls remastered
Triangle Strategy (just came out, FFT like)
Valkyria chronicles 1 and 4
Disgaea 1 remake.
Grandia HD Collection
Star Ocean 2
Rune Factory 4 (Rune Factory 5 comes out this month)
Trials of Mana remake (amazing)
Mana Collection
Legend of Mana
Dq1-3, Dq11
FF 7,8,9,10,12
Tales of Vesparia
Xenoblade chronicles 1 and 2.
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Fire emblem shadow dragon
Fire emblem 3 houses
Shiren the wanderer
SMT 3 and 4
Ys Origin
Ys 8
Ys 9

Also some western rpgs
Vampyr
Titan Quest
Diablo 2 / 3
Torchlight 2
Kingdom of Amaluar
Baldurs gate 1&2
Icewind dale / Torment
Neverwinter Nights1
Baldurs gate dark alliance
KOTOR
Witcher 3
Divinity Orginal Sin 2
Call of Cthuluhu
Battle Brothers

The switch really is a treasure trove, it could always use more though.

Don't skimp on Indies and metroidvanias either:
Devil Slayer Raksasi
Children of moria
Castlevania collection
Blood Stained
Tangledeep
Throne Breaker Witcher tales
Dead Cells
Cat Quest
Vagante
Heroes of Hammerwatch
Darkest Dungeon
Vigil
Unexplored
Slay the spire.
He was wanting some JRPG's without random battle, after playing western RPG's for years. You have a lot of non-JRPG's and a whole lot of non-RPG's like Darkest Dungeon (I don't know what that really is but definitely not a JRPG).

He was wanting some JRPG's without random battle, after playing western RPG's for years. You have a lot of non-JRPG's and a whole lot of non-RPG's like Darkest Dungeon (I don't know what that really is but definitely not a JRPG).
Yeah I know, why I listed jrpgs that were missed, although I don't recall the mention of no random. Battles. That kinda eliminates all old school jrpgs. Don't know why some people in today's culture hate random wandering encounters. It's an rpg staple. Sure it can be overdone but I don't think they should be removed.

As for the other games, well many people don't know that the switch is loaded with western rpgs too and indies, and he said he played wester rpgs. Some of these may scratch an itch too. Don't know why people can't like both, I know I do. There seems to be disdain by some for wrpgs from hard-core jrpg people and the same goes for wrpg fans. I honestly think it's stupid as they are different in style and feel. Outside of some games that skirt the line, like dark souls and dragons dogma.

I kept them seperated from the jrpgs. If you don't want to see them just ignore my post. Maybe someone will see something they didn't know was on switch.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Yeah I know, why I listed jrpgs that were missed, although I don't recall the mention of no random. Battles. That kinda eliminates all old school jrpgs. Don't know why some people in today's culture hate random wandering encounters. It's an rpg staple. Sure it can be overdone but I don't think they should be removed.

As for the other games, well many people don't know that the switch is loaded with western rpgs too and indies, and he said he played wester rpgs. Some of these may scratch an itch too. Don't know why people can't like both, I know I do. There seems to be disdain by some for wrpgs from hard-core jrpg people and the same goes for wrpg fans. I honestly think it's stupid as they are different in style and feel. Outside of some games that skirt the line, like dark souls and dragons dogma.

I kept them seperated from the jrpgs. If you don't want to see them just ignore my post. Maybe someone will see something they didn't know was on switch.
I can't speak for OP but I don't mind wandering enemies that you can choose to fight or avoid, but the ones where you walk 5 feet and the screen changes to a battle are dreadful and annoying. Thankfully that game design choice has mainly gone by the wayside.

Deerock71

Shin Megami Tensei V is missing from that list which I would highly recommend.
Shin-Megami-Tensei-V---Nintendo-Switch

I LOVE Xenoblade Chronicles series but you want stay away from those games if you dont like working with menus.
I'm playing this right now, and I'm loving every second of it. I'm not sure it meshes up with WRPGs, but it does soooo much soooo right; if I get bored with zipping around like Sonic in these VAST fully 3D environments, I beam back to the lab to see what new demon I can add to my collection. I have 21 stables for my demons, and it's never full because I'm too busy creating!
gene wilder frankenstein GIF by foxhorror

daveonezero

Banned
I'm playing this right now, and I'm loving every second of it. I'm not sure it meshes up with WRPGs, but it does soooo much soooo right; if I get bored with zipping around like Sonic in these VAST fully 3D environments, I beam back to the lab to see what new demon I can add to my collection. I have 21 stables for my demons, and it's never full because I'm too busy creating!
gene wilder frankenstein GIF by foxhorror
This game sounds awesome but I can't stand how that character model looks.

Last edited:

Deerock71

This game sounds awesome but I can't stand how that character model looks.
Man if that's the only thing stopping you you'll forget about it an hour into the game. I never cared for his androgynous look either, but he honestly reminds me of Sonic when he's flying around with that blue hair. I won't lie, sometimes I get jumped by some demons, but most of the time I pick my battles. Right now, I'm confident enough to fully explore the crevices in search of 200 Minman; most demons run away, and if they're stupid enough to approach, it's either their funeral or they're going into my demon stew.

daveonezero

Banned
Man if that's the only thing stopping you you'll forget about it an hour into the game. I never cared for his androgynous look either, but he honestly reminds me of Sonic when he's flying around with that blue hair. I won't lie, sometimes I get jumped by some demons, but most of the time I pick my battles. Right now, I'm confident enough to fully explore the crevices in search of 200 Minman; most demons run away, and if they're stupid enough to approach, it's either their funeral or they're going into my demon stew.
Yeah everything sounds great and quite unique. It’s just that model, the hair etc. idk. I just wish I could change it. But ya I might try it if I find a good deal.

Top Bottom