• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro Launch- Post E3 What do we think?

When will the Switch Revision Launch ?

• This September - Bllomberg has to be right about something!

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • End of 2021 it's the only thing that makes sense.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • March 2022 to coincide with BOTW2

Votes: 32 25.6%
  • Fall/winter 2022 to coincide with BOTW2

Votes: 21 16.8%
  • Next year but not at the same time as BOTW2

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Switch Pro is scrapped. We'll get all new hardware in 18 months+

Votes: 44 35.2%

• Total voters

Marvel14

Banned
So E3 has potentially given us some clues about the mystical Switch revision.

Do you still think an enhanced Switch is happening and if so when?

I reckon it will be a full new hardware upgrade either holiday 2022 or March 2023.

What do you all think 🤔?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The thing is they don't need the refresh because sales are good. People thought eh WII HD was coming the entire time of the Wii but sales really never lagged on the wii, so they never needed it. I would like an update to the joycon drift issue more than anything. But if they release, probably time it to 2022 with the release of the BotW sequel.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think BotW2 looked higher resolution and smoother than the first game that was already pushing that little system, so maybe it was running on the Pro and they will do a similar release like they did with the Lite.

Ellery

In 2019 I thought it was 2020 and in 2020 I thought it was 2021 so obviously it is going to be 2022 for the time being but I might move my prediction to 2023.

September release seems pretty likely. If the "leaks" are to believed, developers have had dev kits for a while which lines up with the firmware updates that were datamined that mention output via display port on the dock.

I'm assuming they want a small announce to release window to ensure people don't stop buying the current switch models that are available only to be disappointed when they can't get a pro due to low availability.

Spidey Fan

Banned
TThis is where the switch pro is.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
BotW 2 demo was running on Switch Pro hardware. Unfortunately the Pro will get canceled and so BotW 2 will get a graphical downgrade.

you heard it here first. My dad works for Nintendo.

Quantum253

And here I thought they announced the Switch Pro today. I imagine it could drop whenever Nintendo is going to Nintendo. I'll be there day 1 though.

Dr Bass

I think BotW2 looked higher resolution and smoother than the first game that was already pushing that little system, so maybe it was running on the Pro and they will do a similar release like they did with the Lite.
That engine was also built around the WiiU so could just be years of Switch optimizations.

At least I hope so. If that was a "pro" system, then yeesh.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't think they're going to delay the new hardware, because with the current hardware shortages that are happening and components for switch already going EOL it just makes no sense, especially for a replacement SKU like this.

This is the ideal time for them to drop a new system. Even if supply is short; Switch supply was already short. And they won't have to worry about the old units sitting around on shelves.

They may or may not have a killer app for their launch. It doesn't seem like third parties even have dev kits yet so I think we might not see amazing software support. But even still they're going to launch it this year because it would be dumb to ramp production up on original Switch and take resources away from building Switch Pro inventory.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Remind me where are exactly these clues that Nintendo gave.

BOTW2 release year - could be a launch title for new hardware

Mario Party/Advance Wars/Metroid/ Wario/Life is Strange nostalgia - a less ambitious or resource intensive slate possibly to allow more ambitious games to release later to take advantage of new hardware.

VGEsoterica

lol I mean Switch is still the number one selling console...Nintendo is going to stall hard on new hardware because why bother when you are #1?

GetemMa

My guess is that they won't release a mid gen hardware upgrade at this point. Switch Pro or Super Switch will probably just be a released in 2023 or 2024, probably with backwards compatibility and lot of cross gen support from Nintendo. Another Nvidia chip with DLSS support would be a no brainer.

Saber

Gold Member
BOTW2 release year - could be a launch title for new hardware

Mario Party/Advance Wars/Metroid/ Wario/Life is Strange nostalgia - a less ambitious or resource intensive slate possibly to allow more ambitious games to release later to take advantage of new hardware.

Or just a game releasing on this system Lol

I see no clues here.

ultrazilla

I guess we'll know if it's coming this year if leaks about performance and specific details about the SOC/memory start hitting soon. Basically leaks from the actual production line.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

2022 with BOTW2. I vote march but could be later.
Do you really think they have enough TegraX1s left to keep the old Switch on the market that long?

This is a replacement sku. They don't need to launch it with a killer app, especially if it can do some degree of enhancement natively in the way Xbox Series and PS5 do. I think they have to launch it this year because silicon shortages kind of prohibit them building up inventory of the Pro while still keeping up with demand for the original Switch.

Bridges

Seems like a broken clock scenario here.

It's been years since these "insiders" have said the Pro is coming, over and over again with more details and new timeframes and the only persistent thing through it all is the lack of any of it coming true. Eventually, Nintendo will release a Switch successor, be it a Pro or a 2 or a U or whatever they're gonna call it. I don't think it's necessarily a sure thing that any of these people are actually right though, but I'm sure they'll all claim to be once a successor is finally announced. As far as I'm concerned, there is no Switch Pro until Nintendo says there is a Switch Pro, and I think it would behoove people to stop assuming it's coming and setting themselves up for disappointment.

daveonezero

Banned
Do you really think they have enough TegraX1s left to keep the old Switch on the market that long?

This is a replacement sku. They don't need to launch it with a killer app, especially if it can do some degree of enhancement natively in the way Xbox Series and PS5 do. I think they have to launch it this year because silicon shortages kind of prohibit them building up inventory of the Pro while still keeping up with demand for the original Switch.
They don't care. They will release BOTW2 on switch so does it even matter?

Your logic is bad. If there is a silicon shortage why would the pump out a new chip instead of just riding with what they have?

They can avoid the shortage by not releasing new hardware right now. It would be different if the Switch wasn't hugely popular but it is and they have no reason t jump ship.

yurinka

I think it will be just basically a Switch XL with mostly the same internals but a slightly bigger and better screen. Something to finally match the quality of the PS Vita creen. Release date: early November. If it does scale to 4K, won't be using DLSS, will use something implemented by the console with no dedicated code inside the game for it. It won't have exclusive games and outside this '4K scaling' there won't be FPS, image quality or native resolution improvements compared to the normal SKUs.

I expect a proper 'next gen' hybrid Nintendo console to be released in 2023 (horsepower somewhere around PS4 Pro and XB1X but with extra perks like DLSS and raytracing). With BC improving Switch games and exclusive games. That generation Nintendo will invent 4K and achievements.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

They don't care. They will release BOTW2 on switch so does it even matter?

Your logic is bad. If there is a silicon shortage why would the pump out a new chip instead of just riding with what they have?
Because they're already confirmed to have discontinued that chip?

They're not gonna ramp production back up on X1s when they're already known to be building supply of the new chip. It really doesn't make sense. They're already building inventory on Switch Pro.

And if they had a lot of inventory they needed to sell though on the old units, then you could still push back the new one, but the fact is, with the present shortages, there's a pretty finite amount of OG Switches left and they're going to launch the new one when those run out.

They're not going to go half a year with no hardware on the shelf, and they're not going to start production back up on a discontinued unit.

Top Bottom