• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch successor faces backwards compatibility challenges, MVG suggests

BlackTron

They included the Hollywood chip on the Wii U, even though it had the Latte for new games.

This Switch successor seems to be a repeat of the Wii U situation.

Personally, I think it's best if they ditch BC. As long as they really bring it in other ways.

The problem is "really bringing it in other ways". If Nintendo ditches BC just to, say, force you to buy MK9 I think that's a mistake. Ideally MK9 is so good, that's the reason you go out to buy Switch 2 but it's still BC anyway.

Ditching BC to force you to buy new games signals weakness in the new games. But if the new games are weak, why buy the new system anyway? If you're just gonna use it to play MK8, why upgrade in the first place?

Either way Nintendo will have to come out guns swinging with top shelf games because they can't double dip the library like they did with Wii U. I don't think there is any way out of that no matter what tricks they try to pull off. And if they do deliver with new titles, then yeah it won't really matter if it's BC but would be better if it was.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The problem is "really bringing it in other ways". If Nintendo ditches BC just to, say, force you to buy MK9 I think that's a mistake. Ideally MK9 is so good, that's the reason you go out to buy Switch 2 but it's still BC anyway.

Ditching BC to force you to buy new games signals weakness in the new games. But if the new games are weak, why buy the new system anyway? If you're just gonna use it to play MK8, why upgrade in the first place?

Either way Nintendo will have to come out guns swinging with top shelf games because they can't double dip the library like they did with Wii U. I don't think there is any way out of that no matter what tricks they try to pull off. And if they do deliver with new titles, then yeah it won't really matter if it's BC but would be better if it was.
I think you misunderstood what I said slightly. I didnt say ditch BC to force people to buy new games. That never stopped anything in the past, and Nintendo knows It. What I meant is, by including the Switch GPU on this successor only for BC purposes is something they did before, with the Wii U.

By ditching BC they would cut the cost of manufacturing. Because, and I don't know if you know this, but Nintendo won't take a loss on the hardware. Anything extra they include in there will come at the cost of the retail price.

Also, the PS4 wasnt fully BC, and it did incredibly well.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I mean what he said is technically correct, just worded weirdly.
they definitely included gamecube hardware lol

I don't think it was an extreme mistake. He is correct that Wii had hardware-level compatibility, just not that it took a different chip to do so. The joke about Wii being two Gamecube's duct taped together was closer to the mark than many think, apparently. Wii was literally a higher clocked GCN with a new controller, down to the hardware level. Which is why Wii U is able to play GC natively, despite that it wasn't meant to. The way that Wii played GC games was similar to how the Switch changes from docked mode, it just throttled to match GC speed. Since the hardware was otherwise identical the games played 1:1.

I guess you could contend that it featured GC memory card ports. They were not used by Wii games in any way and only added to the cost of the console. That was "gamecube hardware" added only for BC and no other reason. Even the controller ports though, were pretty important to have on the console IMO. Imagine Smash without that...

93xfan

Banned
Why would Nintendo make a huge effort to make it BC? Why would anyone want to play BOTW at 720/30 on the switch 2 when they are more likely to just sell a 1440*/60 remaster? Want to keep playing your switch games? Just… keep your existing console. It’s not rocket surgery.

Rocket surgery?
Nintendo made these games for this console and they have no obligation to maintain that compatibility on a next generation device.

Are you their lawyer?
Certainly not when there’s money to be made on remasters for thirsty fans that want to enjoy an old favorite with some modern paint. Look at Metroid Prime. Arguably the definitive edition. The game is gorgeous and runs beautifully.

Furthermore, I don’t see anyone here saying if it doesn’t have BC I won’t get one. It’s “I won’t get one at first.” Nintendo knows they have you by the balls either way.

If Nintendo doesn’t do BC, you can bet people with more than 1 console won’t be buying as many 3rd party games on Nintendo platforms. I didn’t buy the TMNT Cowabunga Collection on Switch due to this uncertain future. I want to trust in any ecosystem I invest in.

EDMIX

I promise you 99.9% don't give a shit.

Nintendo could move on with zero BC and still break records. I don't see enough data to argue the majority cares about any of that. It would be nice if Switch 2 had BC, but I'm not expecting it and don't care lol I mean, for fuck sakes...Switch has zero BC to Wii or Wii U and is more successful then both.

no one cares...

bender

What time is it?
Rocket surgery?

13847480.jpg

Tams

Completely changing architecture would be the last thing I would expect Nintendo to do at this point. Given this is a thread about BC, that would also put them in the worst possible position to use Intel.
Going from ARM to x86 is not a thing I would think Nintendo could pull off gracefully, and would probably eliminate any notion of BC.

If they stay with the hybrid form factor, then they absolutely won't go x86. AMD's APUs are great, but even the thinnest handheld with them is chunky. They still confined too much power.

And Nintendo have no history of working with x86. Of course they could, but they have ARM experience going back over two decades now.

blacktout

Terrible news, as expected from Nintendo 🤣

It's not news. It's speculation. And the speculation is about how Nintendo would do backwards compatibility and what obstacles they would have to overcome rather than suggesting that they won't. Maybe make at least a cursory attempt to skim the OP next time before you make your poorly punctuated one sentence shit post.

Banned
I promise you 99.9% don't give a shit.

Nintendo could move on with zero BC and still break records. I don't see enough data to argue the majority cares about any of that. It would be nice if Switch 2 had BC, but I'm not expecting it and don't care lol I mean, for fuck sakes...Switch has zero BC to Wii or Wii U and is more successful then both.

no one cares...

not comparable.
older generations didn't have games on them that had highly active online communities.

imagine if the current consoles came our without backwards compatibility. Apex Legends, Warzone, Warframe, Rocket League, Rainbow Six, Halo MCC, Mortal Kombat 11, Street Fighter 5 and so many more would have not been playable and would have needed native ports that, depending on developer size and interest, either take months to release or would never release.
Rocket League for example uses Unreal 3, an engine that's no longer supported, which means every dev that uses it needs to port it on their own to every new system they want to use it on.

and on Switch it's not much different... sure some developers might have ports ready on launch or soon after, but many also won't, and that could be a big issue in a world where GaaS is king.

Switch 2 comes out and has no Rocket League, has no Fortnite, no Minecraft, no Overwatch 2, no Warframe etc. some may come only a few weeks later, some months, some won't at all, especially if the devs can't get the budget for a port.

the Wii didn't have examples like these, especially by the time the Switch came out... and the Wii U was such a failure that noone really gave a shit and it didn't get many popular games anyways that people would have wanted on launch.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
And how exactly Nintendo expects to sell everything again for full price if they have BC ??? .... I think people forgot how nintendo likes to print their money

Ozzie666

We have a system to play Switch Games, it's called the Switch moment.

Make people pay for backward combability with a second SKU? That sounds like disaster.

Could they really mess this up?

hemo memo

Gold Member
And how exactly Nintendo expects to sell everything again for full price if they have BC ??? .... I think people forgot how nintendo likes to print their money
Well, Nintendo had been always against remasters/remakes. Switch was a special case because the Wii U failed miserably and it is a crime for those games to be locked on that system. In term of “selling things again” they are actually the most consistent publisher to provide new quality products when everyone is throwing remakes/remasters left and right. Sony sold an unnecessary remake for $70 as a promotion for the fucking tv show and repacking games for PS5 to sell it at full price. Microsoft? Well, their BC solution is incredible but they still lack the quality games.

The Skull

Well, Nintendo had been always against remasters/remakes. Switch was a special case because the Wii U failed miserably and it is a crime for those games to be locked on that system. In term of “selling things again” they are actually the most consistent publisher to provide new quality products when everyone is throwing remakes/remasters left and right. Sony sold an unnecessary remake for $70 as a promotion for the fucking tv show and repacking games for PS5 to sell it at full price. Microsoft? Well, their BC solution is incredible but they still lack the quality games.
Thank you for saying the obvious.

The amount of brain dead takes I see going "HuH HoW aRe ThEy GoInG tO sELl pOrTs" is honestly exhausting.

The Wii U sold like 13 million. No business in their right mind would fail to capitalise on bringing those games to a new market with a install base of at least 100 million to recoup the costs they probably lost on developing then during the Wii U era.

To most people with a Switch, they are essentially new games.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood what I said slightly. I didnt say ditch BC to force people to buy new games. That never stopped anything in the past, and Nintendo knows It. What I meant is, by including the Switch GPU on this successor only for BC purposes is something they did before, with the Wii U.

By ditching BC they would cut the cost of manufacturing. Because, and I don't know if you know this, but Nintendo won't take a loss on the hardware. Anything extra they include in there will come at the cost of the retail price.

Also, the PS4 wasnt fully BC, and it did incredibly well.
You haven't been paying attention. Nintendo has little to no reason to switch architectures (no pun intended). All they would need would be a compatibility layer, tops.

And PS4 was a complete break from PS3 (Power PC with SPUs -> x86).

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Well, Nintendo had been always against remasters/remakes.
I think they are the company that made the most ports/remasters by far.

Mario Deluxe on GBC
Mario All Stars on SNES
All Mario Advance, Donkey Kong Countries, Zelda ALTTP and more on GBA
Mario 64, Starfox on DS
Zelda OoT and Majora on 3DS
Fire Emblem game remakes on DS and 3DS
Donkey Kong Country Returns on 3DS
Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii
Zelda WW and TP on Wii U
Kirby games I don't have in mind right now
and of course (obligatory) : half of the Switch library
etc...

There is no end to the list.
(that's only on handhelds...)

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
I'd be surprised if Nintendo even considered BC for the next system. Just don't see them changing their ways here.
But that would be changing there ways,
Wii supported gc, wiiu wii, gba gb, ds gba, 3ds ds,
Anyway a driver wrapper should take care of the driver issues and the cpu should be binary compatible

hemo memo

Gold Member
I think they are the company that made the most ports/remasters by far.

Mario Deluxe on GBC
Mario All Stars on SNES
All Mario Advance, Donkey Kong Countries, Zelda ALTTP and more on GBA
Mario 64, Starfox on DS
Zelda OoT and Majora on 3DS
Fire Emblem game remakes on DS and 3DS
Donkey Kong Country Returns on 3DS
Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii
Zelda WW and TP on Wii U
Kirby games I don't have in mind right now
and of course (obligatory) : half of the Switch library
etc...

There is no end to the list.
(that's only on handhelds...)
"[T]he titles we've developed over our past 30 years in the dedicated video game system business have been played by and fondly remembered by many people, and these are an important asset to Nintendo as well. Nostalgia can be very appealing, but it's more important to be able to create new game experiences and fun, etc., even within remakes of classic titles.

"And I think that the most important factor is whether the developers are passionate about wanting to remake a game," Furukawa said. "A good recent example of this is The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, as you mentioned. Consumers all over the world responded positively to both its nostalgic elements and new features."
https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/why-nintendo-doesnt-remaster-more-of-its-games/1100-6471383/

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I think the Switch 2's SoC is already out there inside the Jetson Orin Nano development boards.
Its specs are:

6-core Cortex A78 @ 1.5GHz
8GB of 128bit LPDDR5 68GB/s
1024 shader processors at 625MHz (probably downclocked below that in handheld mode).
32 tensor cores at GPU frequency

With this SoC from Nvidia they could most probably be able to emulate the Switch's hardware. The problem with emulation is that more CPU and GPU cycles are spent emulating the instructions they don't have natively, so the power efficiency goes down.
I.e. the big problem with this SoC running Switch games is that it would spend >7W emulating games that would otherwise need 2W or less on that same hardware if it was running native code. Unless Nvidia designed this specific implementation of the Ampere architecture with native support for the TX1's Maxwell Instruction Set (which isn't at all something Nvidia does very often, unlike AMD).

how about they use one of AMD's mobile chipsets and then emulate the switch from there. AMD's portable stuff is some of the most efficient and powerful on the market, and they could easily subsidize the costs! Using another ARM solution just seems boneheaded to me when portable X86 is really getting there

AMD's Rembrandt is neither designed for 7W operation nor is it optimized for running games (unlike the Deck's Van Gogh). It's probably too big and therefore expensive for Nintendo to consider using it. Rembrandt is 208mm^2 and Nvidia Tegra X1 was 118mm^2 when it released in 2015 at 20nm, going further down to 100mm^2 when upgraded to 16FF.

That's not to say that AMD couldn't build a semicustom SoC something akin to the Steam Deck's SoC for Nintendo, equally capable of emulating the Switch. It just wouldn't be a >200mm^2 chip optimized for 15-45W operation like Rembrandt or its successor Phoenix.

20 years, actually
[/URL]

a shame, AMD's work in the portable space is amazing and it'd give Nintendo's next system the BOOST in power it needs to be a more than substantial upgrade over the Switch

Expectation isn't contractual. I'm sure someone at Nvidia also expected their console partnership with Microsoft and Sony would last more than one console, at some point, yet that didn't happen.

Shut0wen

If this is true then nintendo aint going to support BC at all, and tbh why should they since they are rereleasing wii u games and making a killing off it, i think theyd just re release switch games as cloud games or just not do it all

Bernardougf

Gold Member

The amount of brain dead takes I see going "HuH HoW aRe ThEy GoInG tO sELl pOrTs" is honestly exhausting.

The Wii U sold like 13 million. No business in their right mind would fail to capitalise on bringing those games to a new market with a install base of at least 100 million to recoup the costs they probably lost on developing then during the Wii U era.

The only brain dead people are nintendo blind fans.. but you do you buddy

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Maybe think about your consumers for once. No BC is Insane at this point.

You said it all.. "for once" ... dont think is going to happen when nintendo fans are the most crack addictive fandom in this business... nintendo has everybody by the balls ... they are going to launch an overpriced underpowered machine as usual and without BC and port everything again in HD+ this time .. switch 3 will be the 4k machine (maybe)...

Nintendo learned to print money with the less effort possible.. doesn't seen to me that they need to change anything

But Ill happily eat crow and buy their system if they can give me a powerful console with BC so I can decently play switch games and new games in good resolution and framerate (dont gonna happen)

UnNamed

Banned
PS5 has a different architecture than PS4 despite being a direct sequel (GCN->RDNA) and even different manufactoring process (FinFET->FF+), but it's fully compatible except 8 games.

I don't know why on Switch should be different

Banned

they sold SNES and NES virtual console games again on Wii U even tho the Wii U was fully backwards compatible with the Wii's virtual console

Banned
PS5 has a different architecture than PS4 despite being a direct sequel (GCN->RDNA) and even different manufactoring process (FinFET->FF+), but it's fully compatible except 8 games.

I don't know why on Switch should be different

the RDNA hardware inside the current consoles has a GCN compatibility mode, most likely something AMD included specifically for console backwards compatibility.
this makes the hardware basically function like a GCN gpu, all RDNA features are disabled and the IPC gains are gone too in that mode, which is why native ports run better than enhanced backwards compatible games

without that Sony would have had a way harder time bringing PS4 games over.

of course Nvidia could have a similar approach to the new Tegra chips, but it's hard to say.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I really think they can get away with a full backwards compatibility.

Same eshop and a Switch cart slot. Possibly
Terrible news, as expected from Nintendo 🤣
last week there was news from an actual investors call Nintendo doesn’t want to start over with the eshop and other digital services.

That pretty much says they need continuity with the eshop and from that full BC.

shiru

Banned

The cretins who insist the Switch should have been backwards compatible with the Wii U, a system using a completely different architecture and storage media, are just fanboys getting their fix.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Many media outlets and youtube channels took this video as "Nintendo is having difficulties in bringing BC to next console"... In a very VERY negative and condemning way, hell, many just say it already without checking it comes from a youtube channel just speculating and not actual news... These are definitely slow news days...

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Switch 2 won't use Tegra X1, X1(Maxwell GPU) is ancient now. It will use Tegra Orin with an Arm Hercules CPU and an Nvidia Ampere GPU. Nvidia likely has taken care of BC issues since it's the same architecture (arm) and same vendor(Nvidia). Just like AMD did for PS5.
That is my going assumption too. These fuckwads just want clicks so they make up some BS controversy to achieve it. Nintendo has maintained BC on any system where it made sense. They are not porting old games to switch to get people to buy them twice, they are going after new players. The WiiU sold almost 10x less than the switch and some of the other ports are remasters from quite a long time ago. Maintaining BC and simply continuing to sell the switch games, at least digitally, is the best option.

Personally I do not care. I want new games and hardly ever replay old games. Though when I do, Nintendo games are more likely to be the ones I am replaying. I would prefer an update to the game as opposed to an old copy. This isn't just a crappy money grab, it provides people access to older games that have been updated to look and run better on today's hardware.

I want to remind the morons and point fingers at Nintendo for the WiiU ports. WiiU sold ~ 15 million systems. Mario Kart 8 sold ~ 50 million fucking copies on switch.

daveonezero

Banned
Switch 2 won't use Tegra X1, X1(Maxwell GPU) is ancient now. It will use Tegra Orin with an Arm Hercules CPU and an Nvidia Ampere GPU. Nvidia likely has taken care of BC issues since it's the same architecture (arm) and same vendor(Nvidia). Just like AMD did for PS5.
Makes sense to me. I don’t really want to play old games either but I like the option of having an expanded library and less devices.

If I can ditch my switch to get a 2 I will.

Worst case is both use the same dock and I can swap them in and out at the TV. I just don’t want to lose the digital library.

Last edited:

dcx4610

There really is no excuse now to not have your previous games work on your new hardware. Imagine if every time you got a new phone, none of your apps worked anymore. Same goes for PC.

It made sense in the early days but now with digital, you should expect that every game that you own should work on your new system. Games should just be games and not tied to specific hardware. They should either stick with Tegra or just go full Android and recompile all of their Switch games. At least Microsoft and Sony went x86 so we aren't having to deal with this anymore.

Viz108

Neo Member
I would think that all the money Nintendo has made off of NO Virtual Console and Wii/Gamecube era remasters has pretty much killed BC off for them.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I don't know what I think of this. We're in an age where remasters are becoming quite common. Weighing out whether we want new innovative tech vs hardware that is compatible with old games is a tricky one. With Nintendo, I tend to think they are going to go wild with new tech and not worry about the past.

I love what Xbox has done for backwards compatibility. If Nintendo did something similar, their new console would be a playground of joy, but I've come to expect this type of practice from them, for better or worse.

There aren't a ton of games I personally would care about losing from the Switch. It does suck when you think of games like Metroid Prime Remastered. After all this time, the game is finally not only accessible again, but looks better than ever. If you can't play it on future consoles going forward, that's a bummer.

Maybe the question is: How much are we getting in return for giving up backwards compatibility?
If it's not a giant step-up in tech, it's going to be hard to excuse. On the other hand, if I'm playing Metroid Prime 4 in 4K-VR-Hoverpack mode, maybe I'll be more forgiving.

Last edited:

EDMIX

not comparable.
older generations didn't have games on them that had highly active online communities.

imagine if the current consoles came our without backwards compatibility. Apex Legends, Warzone, Warframe, Rocket League, Rainbow Six, Halo MCC, Mortal Kombat 11, Street Fighter 5 and so many more would have not been playable and would have needed native ports that, depending on developer size and interest, either take months to release or would never release.
Rocket League for example uses Unreal 3, an engine that's no longer supported, which means every dev that uses it needs to port it on their own to every new system they want to use it on.

and on Switch it's not much different... sure some developers might have ports ready on launch or soon after, but many also won't, and that could be a big issue in a world where GaaS is king.

Switch 2 comes out and has no Rocket League, has no Fortnite, no Minecraft, no Overwatch 2, no Warframe etc. some may come only a few weeks later, some months, some won't at all, especially if the devs can't get the budget for a port.

the Wii didn't have examples like these, especially by the time the Switch came out... and the Wii U was such a failure that noone really gave a shit and it didn't get many popular games anyways that people would have wanted on launch.

Stop.

I have hard time believing that the Switch 2 will be basing its success off of BC or no BC.

Most of the shit you even brought up would have sequels as that is how the MP market is, they want the most current thing.

PS4 didn't have BC and its one of the fastest selling PS systems.

Switch didn't have BC and ports of Mario Kart literally outsold the original version.

So I'm sure it would be bad for some if PS5 or Series X didn't have BC, I don't see it being the end of the world though, we'd continue to get new COD, BF and other MP titles, look at Overwatch 2, look at Diablo 4 coming out, we'd just continue to get new online titles that would take the helm.

Banned
Stop.

I have hard time believing that the Switch 2 will be basing its success off of BC or no BC.

Most of the shit you even brought up would have sequels as that is how the MP market is, they want the most current thing.

literally not a single game I listed that is an online game with a big audience on Switch thar has any chance of a sequel releasing withing at least 5 years.

BECAUSE THERE WERE NO GAAS GAMES ON PS3 THAT ANYONE CARED ABOUT
same concept as Wii U to Switch.

Switch didn't have BC and ports of Mario Kart literally outsold the original version.

not a GAAS game, and the Wii U was a failure.

So I'm sure it would be bad for some if PS5 or Series X didn't have BC, I don't see it being the end of the world though, we'd continue to get new COD, BF and other MP titles, look at Overwatch 2, look at Diablo 4 coming out, we'd just continue to get new online titles that would take the helm.

there will be no Overwatch 3, there will be no Warframe 2, there will be no Rocket League 2, no Fortnite 2, within the next 5 to 10 years.

all these games would need ports to Switch 2 if it's not compatible.

Warframe is famously slow with ports and updates, so I'd assume at least 6 to 12 months with no Warframe on Switch 2 if it's not compatible.

Rocket League runs Unreal Engine 3, which would need to be ported by the dev team themselves to Switch 2 and its new API because it's not officially supported by Epic anymore.

Fortnite is the only one where a port would most likely be faster, but who knows if it would be day 1.

Overwatch 2 is unpredictable tbh, could be fast, could take ages.

then there are smaller games with dedicated fans like Rogue Company or Paladins with small budgets that most likely won't see a port at launch or even close to launch, if at all.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Stop.

You sure about BC not being important right now for a significant amount of players? I can imagine this gen going even slower of it wasn't because of BC, devs would have to develop different versions for last gen consoles or barely any game would have come to PS5 and XS, many people right now also expect to keep playing old games better on newer hardware, PS4 and Switch are cases where no one expected them to be BC considering how different the previous systems are, but after Sony and Nintendo talking so much about easy to develop, modern architecture and so on, they not having BC on PS5 and Switch 2 would bother a hell lot of people.

Also people just got used to BC, the fact that 9th gen consoles have it makes many people expect the same for Nintendo or any other system, let's say the audience simply changed to demand more in that sense this time around.

EDMIX

literally not a single game I listed that is an online game with a big audience on Switch

I never said they did, I said they would release sequels that people move on to that are the latest and greatest.

BECAUSE THERE WERE NO GAAS GAMES ON PS3 THAT ANYONE CARED ABOUT
same concept as Wii U to Switch.

That is completely false.

Call Of Duty literally had titles moving 25 plus million units that generation

So I don't think it even fucking mattered if there was some GaaS game someone gave a shit about on PS3, they'd still move on to x86 for PS4. Why the fuck would they keep a dated design for a handful of old online games that are getting sequels that sell better? None of that makes sense.

So online games existed during PS3 and 360 generation that moved monster units, a lot of that started that gen, but none of that will have a massive influence on BC or not. Design, tech, architecture etc all of that takes precedence.

not a GAAS game, and the Wii U was a failure.

And? Look, no one cares about this terminology shit as if its going to change that point. Its an online game, was ported to Switch, Wii U failing doesn't have shit to do with what we are talking about.

This merely proves that an online game is not going to FORCE a fucking company to do BC, they will merely port those online titles, continue to make new online titles and the idea of making the new technology SUPERSCEEDS the idea of "bc".

So If Switch 2 has some new tech, new method of doing something, different architecture etc, no game is going to stop that all in the name of BC. They'll port it the online titles they give a fuck about, make new online titles and move on with life.

there will be no Overwatch 3

lol Shit, we heard that about us not seeing a 2 and here we are.

Just stop man.

Those titles will just get ported on Switch 2 if they want to continue something on the platform.

all these games would need ports to Switch 2 if it's not compatible.

Likely, but why would Nintendo even care if that was the case? lol None of those games are the reason why Switch moved those massive units, thus Nintendo likely isn't going to care and I doubt will hold back any new design merely to appease some BC type thing of titles that are not even the best selling on their platform by 3rd party.

They'll port their own games and move on.

dedicated fans like Rogue Company or Paladins with small budgets that most likely won't see a port at launch or even close to launch, if at all.

lol Nintendo not losing sleep over none of that...

EDMIX

You sure about BC not being important right now for a significant amount of players? I can imagine this gen going even slower of it wasn't because of BC, devs would have to develop different versions for last gen consoles or barely any game would have come to PS5 and XS, many people right now also expect to keep playing old games better on newer hardware, PS4 and Switch are cases where no one expected them to be BC considering how different the previous systems are, but after Sony and Nintendo talking so much about easy to develop, modern architecture and so on, they not having BC on PS5 and Switch 2 would bother a hell lot of people.

Also people just got used to BC, the fact that 9th gen consoles have it makes many people expect the same for Nintendo or any other system, let's say the audience simply changed to demand more in that sense this time around.

I don't think most really care.

Look at SlimySnake SlimySnake , we want next gen only titles. I literally only used my PS5 for next gen only titles or cross gen titles, so....yea BC being on PS5 isn't something I've even used as I own several PS4's already lol Why would I buy a PS5 to play old games? lol

So anything next gen only, cross gen etc I'm just playing on PS5, but that is literally the same thing I did with PS4. BF4 launched with PS4 and it was a day 1 for me, it existing on PS3 is irrelevant to me as I'm there for the "next gen" features of a bigger player count, quality etc, that would be no different for me regarding something like 2042 or Call Of Duty MW2 or something like that.

Regardless PS4 and Switch has nothing to do with no expectation of BC, it had more to do with majority not really caring and wanting new content.

Anything that was worthy was ported or cross gen anyway. Mario Kart, Last Of Us 1, Uncharted Collection, BoTW etc.

For all we know, Switch 2 launches with zero BC and has some Cross gen Title like before and just ports the best titles. Mario, Zelda etc. They may not want to gimp their hardware or progress for any of that.

For all we know the do that just so they can continue Switch 1 sales lol

A asdasdasdbb Who knows, maybe they make some adapter like Gameboy player where it can support those cards or something.

RainblowDash RainblowDash they make amazing titles and I don't know if this is reason enough to skip em.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
the dude developed games on Switch and knows the hardware and how the API works.

so not badly informed ;)
Every console generation faces backward compatability challenges. Dude might as well have said "next gen Switch will use more powerful chipset." Its about as illuminating a statement.

Nintendo keeps its cards so close to its chest that these musings are still speculation. Of someone in the industry but still highly speculative.

ultrazilla

Well if anything, Sabre and Panic Button will stay hella busy with the "up-ports" of OG Switch games if demand is there.

I'm not terribly concerned with backwards compatibility. If it means *FINALLY* getting some powerful hardware for a Nintendo system, I'm gonna go with that
over BC any day of the week. Again, if there's demand for OG Switch games on their Switch 2, they'll do like Sony and MS do and either do an up-port themselves or
hire a third party dev to do it.

Top Bottom