• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch successor is at least two years away, research firm estimates

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's a troll post and it's funny to read it. Personally graphics haven't wowed me as much as they used to since Tomb Raider released on the PS4. To me it still looks great. I go back to play that game every year. So yeah for me it would be fine if the Switch 2 just targets the Xbox One/PS4 Specs. And I have a PC which I still game on which is more powerful than my PS4 and even than I don't notice any difference.
It's also good for the industry, since some games will have a second chance to sell which will increase profitability in general.

Game could look better, but for me graphics are mostly good enough anyway, that's for Switch and for any other gaming platform, my only issue is the performance, they need to have smooth performance, which is why I play on PC and only get first party games on switch

It's also good for the industry, since some games will have a second chance to sell which will increase profitability in general.

Game could look better, but for me graphics are mostly good enough anyway, that's for Switch and for any other gaming platform, my only issue is the performance, they need to have smooth performance, which is why I play on PC and only get first party games on switch
I only game on Switch and Steam

For Switch its First Parties plus JRPGs, Visual Novels, and Indies

For PC it's mostly graphical intense games like Tales of Arise and Elden Ring

I'm planning on building a new PC though. I had this build since 2015 - 2016 when The Witcher 3 came out

Elysion

Banned
BotW 2 releases next year, and the next Zelda game after that will take at least as long to come out (meaning at least five to six years). If the Switch successor is really coming after 2023, then that would mean it would take a long time before this new system gets its first Zelda game; probably not before 2029 if we’re being realistic.

Considering how much of a system seller BotW was for the Switch, it would be quite risky for Nintendo to launch a new system where people have to wait five years or more for a new Zelda game. That’s why I’m still expecting the Switch successor to release next year with BotW 2 as a launch title. There were a lot of reports during the last two years that developers have had access to 4k-capable Nintendo dev-kits; everyone assumed it was for a Switch Pro, but it‘s possible it was for a proper Switch successor all along.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Not even one in game picture of Metroid Prime 4.

200.gif

Last edited:
Exactly! They don't need to go create a whole new console with a new gimmick. Surely Nintendo can't be stupid enough to do that? Switch is going to overtake PS5 and Gameboy. It has a decent shot at becoming the #1 best selling console of all time. They've struck gold so just play it safe this time!
I think they're gonna Nintendo and risk it on a new "gimmick". I'm thinking VR and/or AR. It fits the Nintendo playbook of waiting for cheap tech, then refining what's been proven out by others; Good VR is 6 years old now, and Nintendo could absolutely kill it if they bring their polish to it.

One thing they'd need to innovate would be making VR (a traditionally solitary experience) into a multiplayer/shared experience. That's why I'm thinking Augmented Reality might be the "Nintendo Twist" that they throw in. I could absolutely see Nintendo remaking Wii Sports in AR--Bowl anywhere, anytime! Outdoors at the park! At a get-together on a hipster's apartment rooftop!. People remember playing Wii Sports on the Wii, so it'd be a great way to hand-hold people into their first AR experience. People don't trust Facebook, but they just might trust Nintendo.

The problem with this analysis is they are using common sense and applying it to Nintendo. But Nintendo does Nintendo. That’s why there was no 35th Zelda celebration. That’s why we still haven’t gotten a Nintendo Direct. They don’t play by these rules.
Switch next gen coming out early next year.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I only game on Switch and Steam

For Switch its First Parties plus JRPGs, Visual Novels, and Indies

For PC it's mostly graphical intense games like Tales of Arise and Elden Ring

I'm planning on building a new PC though. I had this build since 2015 - 2016 when The Witcher 3 came out
And I'm planning to get the other consoles, but Nintendo will always be the main console, that's why I'm hoping they release a more powerful Switch since I play on TV exclusively... 2024 seems far but Nintendo games normally run at good framerate and resolution anyway.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love

Maaaan I really triggered some people here. Show me one game on Switch that looks and runs better than a AAA 360 game and I'll retract my statement.

And I'm NOT trolling. Look at Nintendo's hardware history. They never go after the graphics race since the Gamecube. Anyone thinking that the Switch 2 will suddenly be this mega powerful OMEGA machine is absolutely delusional.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Maaaan I really triggered some people here. Show me one game on Switch that looks and runs better than a AAA 360 game and I'll retract my statement.

And I'm NOT trolling. Look at Nintendo's hardware history. They never go after the graphics race since the Gamecube. Anyone thinking that the Switch 2 will suddenly be this mega powerful OMEGA machine is absolutely delusional.
The Switch is like 4 times more powerful than the 360, even the wii u was slightly more powerful than the 360. From what I can google the switch is .3 teraflops weaker than the xb1one and the xb1 is nearly .5 teraflops weaker than the ps4.

On topic 2 years away sounds okay. The switch sales should slow down dramatically by that time and hopefully the tech will be cheap enough to where they can build a switch 2 that is close in power to the xb1 series s so that they can get a lot of ports from this current gen.

Last edited:

Zannegan

The Switch is like 4 times more powerful than the 360, even the wii u was slightly more powerful than the 360. From what I can google the switch is .3 teraflops weaker than the xb1one and the xb1 is nearly .5 teraflops weaker than the ps4.

On topic 2 years away sounds okay. The switch sales should slow down dramatically by that time and hopefully the tech will be cheap enough to where they can build a switch 2 that is close in power to the xb1 series s so that they can get a lot of ports from this current gen.
I think the Switch's chipset only gets close to those numbers at half precision and fully clocked. If I recall correctly, the Switch is closer to 400gflops, not 1tflop.

Regardless, it's a comfortable step up from the 360, though not a generational leap. You could think of it as a 360 Pro when docked if you're just going by flops, which isn't anything like the full picture. Switch would have lots of bells and whistles the 360 lacks just by virtue of being newer, for example.

For Nintendo to put out a true next generation of Switch with a similar power gap to contemporary/recent consoles, that would mean something like a PS4+ or PS4 Pro+ hybrid, which wouldn't be bad at all, IMO. Sadly, I don't think you can bank on even that as a guarantee. We'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT:

I think the problem is that the Switch, docked, already meets your standards just in raw power, and that's not counting any of the newer features and efficiency gains that come from it being a much newer chip.

I agree that people shouldn't hold their breaths for something uber-powerful though. That just doesn't fit with their history. Nintendo always jukes though, so who knows

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I don’t mind as long as they give me the games I want…..

That was great.

Luigi's Mansion 3

Welp, I guess Nintendo Switch 2 for 2024 is almost certain. We don't need to re-invent the wheel here. Only give us stronger hardware and retroactive compatibility and Switch 2 will sell like hot cakes all over like its predecessor.

NahaNago

For Nintendo to put out a true next generation of Switch with a similar power gap to contemporary/recent consoles, that would mean something like a PS4+ or PS4 Pro+ hybrid, which wouldn't be bad at all, IMO. Sadly, I don't think you can bank on even that as a guarantee. We'll just have to wait and see.
Yeah, you can never figure out what Nintendo is going to do sometimes. The hybrid ps4+ I do think is possible if it is 2 years down the road considering how powerful the steam deck is.

It is more a matter of if they will go down that route. Personally just want them to make a console that can at least get ports of the ps5 and xb1sx.

I see what you were talking about as well when I went back and saw a couple of web pages that talked about it. .
Welp, I guess Nintendo Switch 2 for 2024 is almost certain. We don't need to re-invent the wheel here. Only give us stronger hardware and retroactive compatibility and Switch 2 will sell like hot cakes all over like its predecessor.
I really hope that they go back to the ds clam shell design so that I can more easily carry it around.

Exactly! They don't need to go create a whole new console with a new gimmick. Surely Nintendo can't be stupid enough to do that? Switch is going to overtake PS5 and Gameboy. It has a decent shot at becoming the #1 best selling console of all time. They've struck gold so just play it safe this time!
PS5 and Gameboy? Do you mean PS2 and Nintendo DS? Pretty sure Nintendo Switch is well ahead of PS5 and topped the GB sales not too long ago.

Impressive numbers. I don't know who is buying though... Super fans who own more than one? Lite converters? Lite owners with stick drift?

Well, one thing is certain, they HAVE to name the next console better than Switch U, in fact, get completely rid of the term switch, even if it's a convertible console.
God I hope Nintendo doesn't fuck up naming the next console again...

Kataploom

Gold Member

Switch already has PS3/360 games running at 1080p with better settings and/or 60 fps... Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Darksiders 1 and 2, LA Noire, Dark Souls, Crysis 1, 2 and 3 remasters (not the vanilla)... I don't know wtf are you talking about. For Nintendo own games, BOTW already shits technically on whatever PS3 and 360 did, there's not even comparison, it's just doing too many things and the game world rendered at 900p using PBR at that scale... I mean, this shouldn't even have to be explained lol.

Expecting a Switch successor that, relative to PS4/Xbone, is equally as powerful is not out of the possibilities. Actually, if Switch 2 comes in 2024, it would have been around the same time between 360 and to Switch between PS4 to Switch 2 🤔

Last edited:

kubricks

Oh well, I am still disappointed that Age of Calamity, a Switch exclusive, runs at sub 20fps at times which physically makes me sick while playing ... and this hardware will need to last 2 more years. :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Yeah, you can never figure out what Nintendo is going to do sometimes. The hybrid ps4+ I do think is possible if it is 2 years down the road considering how powerful the steam deck is.

It is more a matter of if they will go down that route. Personally just want them to make a console that can at least get ports of the ps5 and xb1sx.

NINTENDO DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE HARDWARE RACE.

This will never happen. Nintendos history in hardware does not go for graphics power. Ever. They tried that game with the GC and it flopped.

Maybe we will get PS4 capabilities. MAYBE.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Switch already has PS3/360 games running at 1080p with better settings and/or 60 fps... Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Darksiders 1 and 2, LA Noire, Dark Souls, Crysis 1, 2 and 3 remasters (not the vanilla)... I don't know wtf are you talking about. For Nintendo own games, BOTW already shits technically on whatever PS3 and 360 did, there's not even comparison, it's just doing too many things and the game world rendered at 900p using PBR at that scale... I mean, this shouldn't even have to be explained lol.

Expecting a Switch successor that, relative to PS4/Xbone, is equally as powerful is not out of the possibilities. Actually, if Switch 2 comes in 2024, it would have been around the same time between 360 to Switch between PS4 to Switch 4 🤔

Yeah with vasaline resolution and huge cuts to graphics.

That's not something to show it off with.

Try again.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yeah with vasaline resolution and huge cuts to graphics.

That's not something to show it off with.

Try again.
We're comparing against PS3/360, which is the platforms chosen by the user I quoted.

Shouldn't a new Switch (in 18months or so) be at least as powerful as a Steam Deck which is at least PS4 Pro level?
That's what I'm saying... Also Steam Desk is around base PS4 raw power, not Pro. I expect new Switch to be more powerful than that, considering the power gap between 7th gen consoles and Switch

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
We're comparing against PS3/360, which is the platforms chosen by the user I quoted.

That's what I'm saying... Also Steam Desk is around base PS4 raw power, not Pro. I expect new Switch to be more powerful than that, considering the power gap between 7th gen consoles and Switch

You quoted me. And no the Switch 2 won't be more powerful than a bloody Steam Deck TF is going on at Gaf?!

NahaNago

NINTENDO DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE HARDWARE RACE.

This will never happen. Nintendos history in hardware does not go for graphics power. Ever. They tried that game with the GC and it flopped.

Maybe we will get PS4 capabilities. MAYBE.
I was just hoping for ports similar to how the switch got ports of ps4 and xb1 games. That isn't that crazy considering that the xb1series s exists. They just need to figure out a way to make a switch that is slightly less powerful than that console and they would be good to go..
Shouldn't the Wii U have also been a major generational leap over the Wii?

Oh... Wait...
Are you just trolling now. The Wii U was like nearly 30 times more powerful than the wii.
Shouldn't a new Switch (in 18months or so) be at least as powerful as a Steam Deck which is at least PS4 Pro level?
the steam deck is weaker than a ps4.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Shouldn't the Wii U have also been a major generational leap over the Wii?

Oh... Wait...

Really? The Wii to Wii U isn't a generational leap? Gamecube to Wii was not for sure but your math appears to be failing.

That's what I'm saying... Also Steam Desk is around base PS4 raw power, not Pro.
the steam deck is weaker than a ps4.

I know if you compare Teraflops the PS4 and Steam Deck are close but (so is the Series S) and I could be wrong the Steam Deck have double the RAM and more modern chips. Not that it really matters for the the point I was making but now I am curious.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You quoted me. And no the Switch 2 won't be more powerful than a bloody Steam Deck TF is going on at Gaf?!
LOL sry.

But yeah, that's a possibility, specially if we have Nvidia pushing for a powerful handheld under their catalog competing against AMD to avoid shareholders asking for more in-console presence.

The console is set to release on 2024 minimum so there's a possibility, not even because Nintendo wants to, but because the mobile hardware performance is closing gaps against stationary hardware more than ever so the cheapest alternatives Nintendo could have are probably not that weak too, unless they want to pay more for less performance which I don't see them doing.

Also, Nintendo avoids direct competition against Sony/Microsoft for the same type of device, but they can't avoid other competitors to enter in their own territory and there's Steam Deck and other Chinese devices eating into it, so maybe a power race against MS and Sony makes no sense, but it does against those other devices now.

So in terms of GPU alone, a Steam Deck++ is perfectly viable and possible, but in terms of CPU I'm not sure yet if it's supposed to receive 9th gen lower res ports, considering the bump on CPU power we got with Zen 2 on consoles.

NahaNago

.I know if you compare Teraflops the PS4 and Steam Deck are close but (so is the Series S) and I could be wrong the Steam Deck have double the RAM and more modern chips. Not that it really matters for the the point I was making but now I am curious.
nevermind need to do even more research. The steam decks power goes from like 1 teraflop to as high as 1.6 for the base version I believe.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
In what world is the Steam Deck close to the Series S?

1.6TF vs 4TF, that's not even half... and it shows as it can't even reach PS4 levels of GPU performance...

In a world where my math SUCKS!!!!!!!!

I forgot that the GPU in the Series S is 20 CUs , Just about everything else is close but I whiffed big on the most important spec.

Last edited:
LOL sry.

But yeah, that's a possibility, specially if we have Nvidia pushing for a powerful handheld under their catalog competing against AMD to avoid shareholders asking for more in-console presence.

The console is set to release on 2024 minimum so there's a possibility, not even because Nintendo wants to, but because the mobile hardware performance is closing gaps against stationary hardware more than ever so the cheapest alternatives Nintendo could have are probably not that weak too, unless they want to pay more for less performance which I don't see them doing.

Also, Nintendo avoids direct competition against Sony/Microsoft for the same type of device, but they can't avoid other competitors to enter in their own territory and there's Steam Deck and other Chinese devices eating into it, so maybe a power race against MS and Sony makes no sense, but it does against those other devices now.

So in terms of GPU alone, a Steam Deck++ is perfectly viable and possible, but in terms of CPU I'm not sure yet if it's supposed to receive 9th gen lower res ports, considering the bump on CPU power we got with Zen 2 on consoles.

I put that guy on ignore since he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. The Switch is more powerful than a Xbox 360 and PS3. I expect a Switch 2 to be about as powerful or a little over a Xbox One/PS4 and even if it isn't I wouldn't care lol.

As for graphics, best looking games on Switch is Luigi Mansion 3, Mario + Rabbids, Mario Odyssey, Mario 3D World, Astral Chain, Dragon Quest 11 S Definitive Edition, Eastward, The Legend of Zelda Link’s Awakening, Monster Hunter Stories 2 Wings of Ruin, Shin Megami Tensei V, Xenoblade Chronicles 2/Torna The Golden Country and more I can't think of at the moment

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Why? GBA played GB games, DS played GBA, 3DS played DS, Wii played GameCube and Wii U played Wii.

They have a solid track record of compatible with the previous gen.
I hope so. They were good with back compat back in the day. Nowadays they’re happy to make you double dip

Woopah

I hope so. They were good with back compat back in the day. Nowadays they’re happy to make you double dip
They mostly did that with Wiii U games because:

1. Wii U and Switch used different formats
  2. No one bought a Wii U
Neither of these factors wil apply for Switch and it's successor.

Top Bottom