• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch worldwide sales top 61.44 million, Animal Crossing: New Horizon tops 22.4 million

80 million for a Playstation is a failure, and the Vita was almost as big a disaster as the WiiU. I completely understand why Sony would decide not to waste time and money, as well as dividing their output, on a third device guaranteed to not gain any real traction.

Gamepass meanwhile is all marketing hype.

There's nothing to suggest it will be any less of a failure than Stadia and every other game streaming service that has ever or will ever exist. It just can't work properly.

Expect it to be talked up like it's the inevitable future of gaming by every mainstream media outlet and fanboy until it hits the market, only to mysteriously stop being talked about within 3 months, then only vaguely referenced again in MS earning calls thereafter.
PSP wasn't a failure. PS vita was though.

And nintendo has so many failures now it's getting ridiculous.

Virtual boy, N64, gamecube and Wii U are all epic (commercial) failures.

Bodomism

Banned
He's a Nintendo shareholder 😅.

But Switch won't have the same legs due to the lack of third-party support but I think it may hit ~90m, and BOTW 2 will sell gangbusters. PS4 will continue for a long time yet, can see 130m in its future.
Dude, Sony already closed many production line of PS4 for PS5 and didn't even bother to restock PS4.

You can already see the sales trajectory based on Q1 hardware shipment for the rest of PS4 lifetime lol.

Meanwhile Nintendo already increasing production of Nintendo Switch from 20M to 25M in this FY and likely to cross 90M mark at the end of 2021.

3rd party lol.

Next Gen 9 Pokemon
Next Pokemon Remame
Next 2d Mario
Next 3d Mario
Next BOTW
Next Tomodachi game
Next Metroid, FE, Xeno, SMP, 3d Deluxe, and etc.

One more thing, Animal Crossing NH unstoppable momentum.

Last edited:

Mozza

Oh it will. Media attention will be on to the new machine.
Switch is still riding to the Animal Crossing wave and with the pandemic.
That’s why I specifically Mentioned 2021-2022.

Nintendo’s main weakness is the 3rd oarty support. Up until now PS4 is still being supported by big 3rd party and Sony just released 2 big 1st party games hence they have the luxury of longevity.

As I mentioned all the big games was already released. You say price cut? they already have it in an unconventional way. Switch lite.
That’s already your entry point to play Switch’e big games. In my opinion it will not have the same effect as you are expecting it.

I will bet you it will not, but let's just wait and see.

Nope, the Switch will not reach PS4 sales levels.

A lot of nintendo fans here overestimate the appeal of nintendo. The fanbase already have one and Switch also faces competition form smartphones and lack 3d party support to really appeal to the mainstream market. Pokemon, zelda and mario aren't enough.

If you think Switch will reach Nintendo DS sales numbers you're delusional.

Anyway, let's see who's man enough.

Anyone want to make an account ban bet? If Switch sells more than PS4 at the end of its cycle my account will be banned, if not yours will.

Bodomism

Banned

A lot of nintendo fans here overestimate the appeal of nintendo. The fanbase already have one and Switch also faces competition form smartphones and lack 3d party support to really appeal to the mainstream market. Pokemon, zelda and mario aren't enough.

Anyone want to make an account ban bet? If Switch sells more than PS4 at the end of its cycle my account will be banned, if not yours will.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 26.74 million units
Animal crossing new horizons - 22.4 million units(Fastest selling video game only below GTAV)
Smash Ultimate - 19.9 million units

Already outpacing PS4 launch aligned without 2 holiday quarters with 0 price cut.

I take the bet

Hezekiah

Banned
Dude, Sony already closed many production line of PS4 for PS5 and didn't even bother to restock PS4.

You can already see the sales trajectory based on Q1 hardware shipment for the rest of PS4 lifetime lol.

Meanwhile Nintendo already increasing production of Nintendo Switch from 20M to 25M in this FY and likely to cross 90M mark at the end of 2021.

3rd party lol.

Next Gen 9 Pokemon
Next Pokemon Remame
Next 2d Mario
Next 3d Mario
Next BOTW
Next Tomodachi game
Next Metroid, FE, Xeno, SMP, 3d Deluxe, and etc.

One more thing, Animal Crossing NH unstoppable momentum.
You think Sony's going to stop producing PS4's anytime soon? Did you see State of Play yesterday?

Part of the reason sales slowed down in Q2 is the economy. And the fact that it's an old console with a high price - I have no idea where you've got it selling for $249 with HZD, TLOU2 and GoW, it's currently $410 for the 1tb model on Amazon. PS4 is £250 on its own in the UK and it's six years old. Sales will jump when it gets a price-cut. Also 91m games sold in Q2, more than Nintendo and Microsoft I imagine.

Nintendo is doing great and it's sales have been very strong. That going to continue next year, though it won't have the same legs as PS4. It's almost certainly not going to end up selling more than PS4. And yes, third-party support is important, not vital as Nintendo have demonstrated, but really important nonetheless and a big part of the reason PS2 and PS4 are the most successful consoles ever released.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 26.74 million units
Animal crossing new horizons - 22.4 million units(Fastest selling video game only below GTAV)
Smash Ultimate - 19.9 million units

Already outpacing PS4 launch aligned without 2 holiday quarters with 0 price cut.

I take the bet
Nice I respect that buddy, anyone else want to take the bet?!

Show me you guys are not a stereotypical nintendo cuck but a CHAD like this guy!

Btw, PS4 also had no price cuts.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Well, if you look at the Wii, GameCube and Wii U, there have been some terrible draughts after the big franchises are released. We still have BotW 2, Metroid, Bayonetta and Pikmin at least, but if they release like 2 games a year, it's gonna get dry.

That said, Nintendo did change its development philosophies in the last-gen, and the new blood that is developing games now seems to be more active and productive.

I’d say so. We’re also waiting to see what Monolith has been working on.

This has been one of their dry years. For the life of me, I don’t understand why Nintendo hasn’t acquired a few developers. Hopefully they’ve created a few new studios.

Bodomism

Banned
You think Sony's going to stop producing PS4's anytime soon? Did you see State of Play yesterday?

Part of the reason sales slowed down in Q2 is the economy. And the fact that it's an old console with a high price - I have no idea where you've got it selling for $249 with HZD, TLOU2 and GoW, it's currently $410 for the 1tb model on Amazon. PS4 is £250 on its own in the UK and it's six years old. Sales will jump when it gets a price-cut. Also 91m games sold in Q2, more than Nintendo and Microsoft I imagine.

Nintendo is doing great and it's sales have been very strong. That going to continue next year, though it won't have the same legs as PS4. It's almost certainly not going to end up selling more than PS4. And yes, third-party support is important, not vital as Nintendo have demonstrated, but really important nonetheless and a big part of the reason PS2 and PS4 are the most successful consoles ever released.
Last year holiday promotions - $250 1tb PS4 + GOW+HZD+TLOUR

Animal Crossing New Horizons is bigger than FF7R, TLOU2, and GOT combined.

Hezekiah

Banned
Last year holiday promotions - $250 1tb PS4 + GOW+HZD+TLOUR

Animal Crossing New Horizons is bigger than FF7R, TLOU2, and GOT combined.
Oh right a 2 week sale 8 months ago.

Animal Crossing is a phenomenon no doubt about it (something you seem awfully proud about). I think my point was as a platform the PS4 likely sold more software - 91m Vs 50m retail only sales on Switch, which shows PS4 will be around for several years yet.

Anyway let's see how your bet with Louis Vuitton goes, if you're not banned before we find out that is.

MagnesG

Banned

Lol new member keep up the good work.

You ain't worth shit, so why should I care? You'll die like a turd at the end like any other people too, and still talking like shit.
NastyLegalAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam-small.gif

Lmfao, why are you so mad? We know your life sucks but no need to take out your frustrations on other people fwiend.

And like I thought you're a pussy and not a chad. Come back when you grow some balls and want to bet your oh so valuabe gaf account.

MagnesG

Banned
NastyLegalAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam-small.gif

Lmfao, why are you so mad? We know your life sucks but no need to take out your frustrations on other people fwiend.

And like I thought you're a pussy and not a chad. Come back when you grow some balls and want to bet your oh so valuabe gaf account.
Up to you, whatever you want. I'm still here.

Can't win with braindead people who can't even contribute to meaningful discussion other than trolling. Have fun with your stupidity until it last.

Up to you, whatever you want. I'm still here.

Can't win with braindead people who can't even contribute to meaningful discussion other than trolling. Have fun with your stupidity until it last.
I gave my arguments itt why I believe Switch will not overtake PS4 in sales. What else is there to say?

Agree to disagree then and if you really believe in your convictions take the ban bet or stop crying like a bitch and don't quote me.

MagnesG

Banned
I gave my arguments itt why I believe Switch will not overtake PS4 in sales. What else is there to say?

Agree to disagree then and if you really believe in your convictions take the ban bet or stop crying like a bitch and don't quote me.
Okay, I'll bite in for once.

Switch had been neck to neck with PS4 in units sold launch aligned, and as of now had surpassed PS4 with one less holiday season (massive sales for Nintendo as usual) compared to the other. This means the Switch will never be outpaced again.

We've had around 90 millions of units combined for WiiU + 3DS (it's cheating when 2DS is there but still) during the dark age of Nintendo, with competition from rival consoles and smart phones already rampant back then plus close to zero respectable 3rd party support. Switch is in a wildly different era compared to them, if you noticed enough.

PS4 is the epitome of a mainstream console and Switch is already went past that. Software is strong too, albeit even with only their 5-6 10++ millions FP sellers.

Switch is also more like a personal console, capable of enticing multiple buys per household.

Still, I'm not optimistic that they can reach 150~ millions of DS either (who says that?), but 120 mil is not far fetched.

More edits.

Last edited:

Switch had been neck to neck with PS4 in units sold launch aligned, and as of now had surpassed PS4 with one less holiday season (massive sales for Nintendo as usual) compared to the other. This means the Switch will never be outpaced again.

We've had around 90 millions of units combined for WiiU + 3DS (it's cheating when 2DS is there but still) during the dark age of Nintendo, with competition from rival consoles and smart phones already rampant back then plus close to zero respectable 3rd party support. Switch is in a wildly different era compared to them, if you noticed enough.

PS4 is the epitome of a mainstream console and Switch is already went past that. Software is strong too, albeit even with only their 5-6 10++ millions FP sellers.

Switch is also more like a personal console, capable of enticing multiple buys per household.

Still, I'm not optimistic that they can reach 150~ millions of DS either (who says that?), but 120 mil is not far fetched.

More edits.

- Nintendo Switch outpacing PS4 in sales at this moment doesn't mean anything. This momentum won't last, especially when all the big guns have already been released (pokemon, mario, zelda, smash) And look at the past, nintendo wii that had massive casual support only got to 101 million total sales, that's nothing compared to PS4 or PS2.

- Nintendo console sales have always dropped like a brick in the later lifecycle of the console. https://content.fortune.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/console_sales4.png

- Switch lacks the most important gaming franchises. No COD, no GTA, ... Switch has FIFA but casuals won't buy it on a nintendo platform, football is associated with playstation thanks to their marketing (especially during champion's league)

- Yes sales numbers of the typical ninty franchises are great. BUT, this is because they have a very big, old and loyal fanbase + these franchises appeal to children. It's a cliché but true, they lack more mature franchises that appeal to more mature audiences. Playstation dominates this market.

- The graphical difference is too big with their competitors. Yes we all know the strongest console doesn't automatically win, but in this case the difference is too big and graphics do matter and are a big selling point, especially to gaming enthousiasts.

- Switch is a handheld first, console second. (also why they had to compromise on the graphical front) Nintendo DS could reach 150 million sales because smartphones weren't a thing back then but now smartphones are extremely popular for gaming. Switch just can't compete with smartphones when it comes to gaming on the go. It's also too big in comparsion with traditional handhelds.

- It has a kiddy reputation. Nintendo isn't cool and this is a big marketing problem. Sure the older gaming fans who grew up with nintendo don't care but their marketing is focussed too much on kids. Nintendo just does not appeal to mature casual gamers at all and that's the audience you want if you want to win in console sales.

- Nintendo has SHIT online infrastructure. We all know how important online gaming has become, but they're VERY behind the competition in this regard. Another big factor especially if you want to reach casuals.

- Nintendo doesn't create new MATURE IP's. Yes they create new IP's, but IP's that don't appeal to mature audiences. Splatoon is cool, but high school or college kids will rather play COD. Sure they have "mature" IP's but not the IP's that appeal to WESTERN mature audiences.

- Nintendo fans OVERESTIMATE the appeal of Zelda, mario and pokémon. Yes we all know they had massive sales, especially pokemon sword and shield (games suck thoug, let's be honest) that had great sales. BUT, the COD, FIFA, madden audience couldn't give two fcks about these franchises. BOTW2 won't change this.

-... could go on though

In conclusion: Yes Switch could reach Wii total sales even a bit beyond that, but it will not reach PS4 total sales. Anyone who wants to bet their account on it, quote me. And yes I'm very sure of it.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
LOL @ people saying Switch needs 3rd parties to have mass appeal... Come on, Nintendo games are sinonimous of mass appeal, not even Sony can compete with mass appeal with Nintendo and game sales speak alone, Nintendo can just put a stone on their own path because they're already very well positioned in the market

LOL @ people saying Switch needs 3rd parties to have mass appeal... Come on, Nintendo games are sinonimous of mass appeal, not even Sony can compete with mass appeal with Nintendo and game sales speak alone, Nintendo can just put a stone on their own path because they're already very well positioned in the market
"Mass appeal" to their old loybal fanbase and kids yes. But to the casual COD bros, hell no.

Kev Kev

crazy how nintendo keeps surviving and thriving. it feels like i hear nothing from them for years at a time and then BAM some game like AC just takes over the world and they crush it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
"Mass appeal" to their old loybal fanbase and kids yes. But to the casual COD bros, hell no.

Come on, as if Switch numbers can only be reached with traditional loyal fanbase, where were those when Wii U launched? Wii U had very, VERY good games and yet it couldn't sell 20 M (still bellow GC numbers).

Nintendo has mass appeal, COD has mass appeal, they don't appeal to the same mass of people, necessarily, but they both have brand recognition that PS games don't, a mom with 15 years of not knowing what a Nintendo is will still see Mario and get that for their children because she knows children like Mario, those children grow up and if they keep gaming they'll probably know Mario games are good and will continue buying them and the same repeats again and again.

The problem with PlayStation is that their brand recognition isn't in their IPs, it's in their "PlayStation" brand so they have to rely on third parties, their more game enthusiast fanbase or trying to get some brand recognition on their new IPs to get half Nintendo numbers, not that those numbers are bad btw and that's PlayStation brand positioning is what could still put them on a relevant position only with third party games if they decided not to publish something in a time.

Tho Nintendo is doing absolutely good with Switch to the point the Nintendo Switch brand alone has gotten enough recognition by itself and not only for being "the nintendo console", as did the Wii and DS and that's how they're still selling gangbusters while on game draugh, numbers dont lie: 61M

MagnesG

Banned
- Nintendo Switch outpacing PS4 in sales at this moment doesn't mean anything. This momentum won't last, especially when all the big guns have already been released (pokemon, mario, zelda, smash) And look at the past, nintendo wii that had massive casual support only got to 101 million total sales, that's nothing compared to PS4 or PS2.

- Nintendo console sales have always dropped like a brick in the later lifecycle of the console. https://content.fortune.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/console_sales4.png

- Switch lacks the most important gaming franchises. No COD, no GTA, ... Switch has FIFA but casuals won't buy it on a nintendo platform, football is associated with playstation thanks to their marketing (especially during champion's league)

- Yes sales numbers of the typical ninty franchises are great. BUT, this is because they have a very big, old and loyal fanbase + these franchises appeal to children. It's a cliché but true, they lack more mature franchises that appeal to more mature audiences. Playstation dominates this market.

- The graphical difference is too big with their competitors. Yes we all know the strongest console doesn't automatically win, but in this case the difference is too big and graphics do matter and are a big selling point, especially to gaming enthousiasts.

- Switch is a handheld first, console second. (also why they had to compromise on the graphical front) Nintendo DS could reach 150 million sales because smartphones weren't a thing back then but now smartphones are extremely popular for gaming. Switch just can't compete with smartphones when it comes to gaming on the go. It's also too big in comparsion with traditional handhelds.

- It has a kiddy reputation. Nintendo isn't cool and this is a big marketing problem. Sure the older gaming fans who grew up with nintendo don't care but their marketing is focussed too much on kids. Nintendo just does not appeal to mature casual gamers at all and that's the audience you want if you want to win in console sales.

- Nintendo has SHIT online infrastructure. We all know how important online gaming has become, but they're VERY behind the competition in this regard. Another big factor especially if you want to reach casuals.

- Nintendo doesn't create new MATURE IP's. Yes they create new IP's, but IP's that don't appeal to mature audiences. Splatoon is cool, but high school or college kids will rather play COD. Sure they have "mature" IP's but not the IP's that appeal to WESTERN mature audiences.

- Nintendo fans OVERESTIMATE the appeal of Zelda, mario and pokémon. Yes we all know they had massive sales, especially pokemon sword and shield (games suck thoug, let's be honest) that had great sales. BUT, the COD, FIFA, madden audience couldn't give two fcks about these franchises. BOTW2 won't change this.

-... could go on though

In conclusion: Yes Switch could reach Wii total sales even a bit beyond that, but it will not reach PS4 total sales. Anyone who wants to bet their account on it, quote me. And yes I'm very sure of it.
- All consoles falls off like a brick when their new system comes out. The fact that DS still sold 50K+ in 2015 is surprising though.
- EVERGREEN titles. Those big guns you said is still selling like AA titles launch numbers every month (around 6 millions this quarter alone). Sword had expansions but a new Pokemon is still in line with how previous Pokemon release goes - every 1-3 years, insta 15 mil at least. We had rumors for 3D Mario collection this year (insta 10 mil at least), next year BOTW2 (insta 10 mill if we compare it to MM sales vs OOT), Metroid 2D, 3D franchise in the future. Those sales are not frontloaded at all.

From March 31 2020 - June 2020
ACNH + 10mil
MK8D + 2 mil
SSBU + 1 mil
BOTW +1 mil
SwSH + 1 mil

And more. EVERGREEN, even during slow seasons, full price with occasional discounts.

- I want mature titles, only if they're fun though. Yes Nintendo needs more of that, only Metroid for now.
- You have no factual data about Nintendo only catering to children, in fact Nintendo had already released their demographics data which is more catered towards adults actually around 1-2 years ago. Playstation dominates the mature market yet the Switch still had surpassed its sales potential.

- Nintendo is catering to wildly different demographics and interests, overlapped or not.
- Graphics is a serious issue in my opinion too, though I'm positive Nintendo will launch the Switch Pro in the near future. The current Switch model is still selling and massively understocked so why bother for now. Games still sells too, no matter the graphics. They will absolutely launch it when the sales slows down.

- Kiddy reputation is actually a plus and no, adults still bought them. Did you know that hey're fun and can be challenging to play? Adults like fun and challenging things too, not just kids.
- Shit online I agree, though people don't care much before, and will do so in the future. Digital sales is pretty close to half too.

- COD, FIFA etc. is driving the PS4 sales and Switch still outpaced them launch aligned. Who's overestimating who here? Switch even acquired more profits than Playstation in the last quarter, even with their shitton MTX and services profits.
- Same points of your mature IPs. I wanna add that I don't miss much of them, I had PS4 and PC not just Switch. I'll buy PS5/SX when it launch - lol maybe after a price cut and I'll still play my Switch.

You could go on, though my account is not worth that much, yours the less. I'm not sure what's the point when you only had registered in less than a week then you proceed for an account bet already?

Lots of edits. My bad.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Who is buying New Super Mario Bros U? Hello! Mario Maker 2 exists and is right there. Mario Maker 2 is objectively a much better deal and game. You'd think sales would drop when Mario Maker 2 hits stores.

Honestly I bounced right off Mario Maker 2 but I’ve had a blast with New Super Mario Bros U. Maker 2 isn’t bad but it feels less joined up and the user made levels are perfect proof that we should leave level design to the experts.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
God damn Mario Kart.

I fully expect Mario Kart 8 Ultra Deluxe Super version to launch on Switch 2 and sell another 40 million.

Quite possible. Honestly though people talk about the Switch being underpowered but Mario Kart 8 looks fantastic. It plays brilliantly too (other than when my wife beats me).

Cutty Flam

Banned
22 million wow...Animal Crossing can do that but back in the day I was always impressed with the games that boasted Million Seller like Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time

Gaming community has come a long way or is it just me?

goldenpp72

PSP wasn't a failure. PS vita was though.

And nintendo has so many failures now it's getting ridiculous.

Virtual boy, N64, gamecube and Wii U are all epic (commercial) failures.

Anyone who considers the PSP sales figures a failure is an idiot, now, software sales is another matter, but unit wise the system sold in line with many of Nintendos own portables, something no company prior or after can say. There was never a greater danger to Nintendo in the portable space than PSP, it's why the GBA died early and why they got the DS out when they did. The DS was just a genius device that sold a lot more, but PSP sold similarly well to the GBA, GB, and 3DS line, which is really impressive.

PSP was a pretty great system too come to think of it, really a great effort by Sony. Just a shame they gave up right after the Vita launched.

More edits.

It's important to realize just how outstanding the Switch is doing, the system has only had one version change and that's a gimped no TV model that is clearly the less desired system. The DS got many major revisions throughout its life which clearly aided it in sales, along with its cheap price. The Switch has never had a price drop and barely ever goes on sale despite being 300 dollars, hell even last years black friday bundle was just used to get rid of old stock to make way for the extended battery life model. Nintendo could play a LOT of cards to get unit sales going, they just likely don't see the need. Meanwhile, PS4 has had 3 major console models in its life, one of which would obviously lead to a repeat buy. The Switch basically has created its own ecosystem as a portable personal console that is largely not shared among the household unless it's to play multiplayer, it's pretty neat when you look at it now and how well they have been able to sustain it.

It's a shame then that so much potential is wasted with the system, I love it but there are so many obvious gaps that exist where I want to throw money at them, but they just don't go for it. It's like they are making too much money.

Last edited:

noshten

It's interesting that some people choose to forget a couple of things:

Animal Crossing does crazy numbers during the holidays
This game is already selling insanely well, it will be the Top Selling game during Obon in Japan, Top 5 Selling game World wide during Black Friday, Cyber Monday and December. Nintendo makes around 50% of its hardware and Software Sales. Now I'm not saying that Animal Crossing is going to sell 25-30 million additional copies during the final quarter but over 10 million seems very plausible. It's the game's first holiday season and we are very likely to get a major Halloween and Christmas updates as part of Nintendo's content strategy for their biggest GaaS title. The Animal Crossing/Splatoon team is extremely versed in maintaining the high popularity of its titles via updates. The number of women and girls getting a Switch during Black Friday or as a Christmas gift will be huge, the only major pub that has anything remotely targetting this demographic are EA(Sims) & Ubisoft(Just Dance), and neither of these games is going to take the shine off Animal Crossing.
Dumb ass publishers keep thinking that the only people who would buy a console are 10-35-year-olds with Kratos avatars. This is why when PS5/X1S are able to barely sell over 25 million combined by August next year, while Switch is the market leader with over 80 million hardware, they gonna scramble to buy small indie studios that have to build an audience on the Switch already. Why do you guys think Microsoft is pushing Image & Form, they know which way the wind is blowing ever since putting Minecraft on the device. Microsoft has been awfully quiet about Minecraft sales on the Switch, but I'm certain they've already sold over 10 million copies since the launch. A single Lithuanian probably achieved more sales on the Platform than some AAA Publishers with his game - Human Fall Flat. Nintendo also isn't shy about renting out their IPs to small devs, as shown by Cendence of Hyrule. So while Sony & Microsoft have been pushing the narrative/photorealistic bar that AAA must achieve to be considered good. Nintendo has been building relationships with creators that are finding success on the platform. Whether it's Golf Story, Steamworld Games, Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight, Overcooked or some other indie, where exactly do you think they are going to be focusing on the 25 million audiences or the 80 million ones?

The guys behind Wii Fit/Sports have a game out
Do you think Nintendo is happy with 4 million sales for Ring Fit Adventure? I don't think so, I'd be damned if they don't push it like crazy once they are able to manufacture enough plastic. Sure Nintendo couldn't figure out how to sell cardboard but plastic is indeed what they've been very good at selling. It also helps that Ring Fit is far more engaging than Wii Fit/Sports, and would be a go-to alternative to Gyms if we have another major lockdown across the World. The game has been sold out since launch, still selling out, still being resold for a profit... top this off with the more expensive Switch being better suited to playing it and its easy to imagine a scenario where they are selling the Switch with the Ring Fit Adventure peripheral for $350 during the holidays... fucking Nintendo how the fuck do they do it? It's almost like another fitness game developed by them also failed to reach its full potential during it's launch year due to shortages. I recommend people to look at Wii Fit sales during 2008 and set their 2020 expectations accordingly

Dominating Japan...
Even when Nintendo dominated with the Wii/DS they only had 66.7% of the hardware market in Japan. Sony's succession of the handheld market has put Japanese 3rd parties in a particular position. Either they develop for the Switch or they become irrelevant on their home market. Looking at Sega, Capcom, Koei Tecmo in particular as their flagship titles have made no effort to build an audience on the Switch. What exactly would Yakuza/Warriors/Monster Hunter/Resident Evil sell on a platform struggling to sell 1M units a year? With the PS5 being expensive and bulky things aren't about to turn around. This year Nintendo has 87.47% of the hardware market share... this won't change much with the PS5 launch. Abandoning handhelds has pretty much ensured that Nintendo is returning to complete domination of Japan and the various developers based there. Vita was a failure but at least it kept that audience within the PlayStation ecosystem, they sold over 50M software on the Vita in Japan, keeping a bunch of studios afloat. You can see what to expect in the coming years, looking at the current trends.
  • 2016: 47.1%
  • 2017: 69.8%
  • 2018: 67.4%
  • 2019: 79.1%
  • 2020: 87.47%
Rebuilding Brand Awareness in Other markets
Remember how the PS5 is expensive and bulky... that won't make it the most appealing product in Asia. Nintendo is already dominating South Korea & Taiwan according to Media Create and this will continue even as the PS5 launches. They've also been able to actually compete in Western Europe for the first time something we should not overlook. Coming off 3DS/Wii U era, Nintendo had lost much of it's mindshare in Europe and has been rebuilding it. Sony will still be a leading platform in the European market but the gap will be much closer than what Sony enjoyed with the PS4.

TL/DR: Nintendo is doomed

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
N noshten not sure there’s any need to insult males who game in that way. Plus Nintendo has plenty for us. Karting is traditionally a male thing, as is brawling, but maybe jumping on the heads of mushroom people is more unisex. There’s plenty of good core gamer stuff though - Nintendo don’t bother with games that think they’re movies, they make gameplay - they’re an evolution of the good old days.

MagnesG

Banned
What exactly would Yakuza/Warriors/Monster Hunter/Resident Evil sell on a platform struggling to sell 1M units a year? With the PS5 being expensive and bulky things aren't about to turn around.
They would go to PC, and I'm okay with it.
Tbh they're not struggling though, just okay.

noshten

N noshten not sure there’s any need to insult males who game in that way. Plus Nintendo has plenty for us. Karting is traditionally a male thing, as is brawling, but maybe jumping on the heads of mushroom people is more unisex. There’s plenty of good core gamer stuff though - Nintendo don’t bother with games that think they’re movies, they make gameplay - they’re an evolution of the good old days.

Not insulting the gamers, insulting the publishers - they seem to believe that the only people buying consoles are males who game in that way. Making no effort to target other demographics. This actually hurts game development on consoles because everybody is trying to make the same game over and over again.

But just not to be insulting, I removed the potential part of my post that might trigger someone, despite it being a pretty apt way to describe them.
"I don't like this type of game so it must be bad", I've never insulted a narrative-heavy game, open-world collections, spending millions on voice acting, or needing graphixxx... it's just not my thing and I move on. I was amazed by the Witcher 2 when I played it on my PC for the first time(especially in light of how much DA2 disappointed me), but when I had the choice to play Witcher 3 or Splatoon, well it was an easy decision once I started playing both. The two games have basically nothing in common but they are both vying for my time, at the end of the day having spent countless hours with Dota 2 and CS 1.6 as a kid, Splatoon's gameplay felt more engaging to me than Witcher 3 especially coming off Witcher 2. I would not say anything bad about the Witcher, but I do hope they take some gameplay risks with Cyberpunk.

They would go to PC, and I'm okay with it.
Tbh they're not struggling though, just okay.

The PC market in Japan is a non-factor, this was specifically a point around the situation there. I'm not arguing that they cannot be successful outside of Japan. Capcom already proved this via Monster Hunter World, but a lot now rides on Monster Hunter World 2 doing more than 10 million sales World Wide. This is still a risky strategy with a lot of uncertainty. Meanwhile, their AA games were abandoned and KONAMI(at the risk of angering Jim Sterling) has outsold them on the Switch with little effort. Konami is also likely to be the first Japanese Developer to have a million-selling game on the Switch in Japan as Momotaro Dentetsu is looking like it will blow past DQXIS by the end of 2020.
I don't even want to get into how inept Sega and Koei Tecmo are, they are starting to challenge Level-5 as the biggest trainwrecks in terms of Switch support.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Had anyone played Sims Bustin Out, the Urbz on GBA/PS2? Would love for a resurgence of these story focused sims.

MagnesG

Banned
The PC market in Japan is a non-factor, this was specifically a point around the situation there. I'm not arguing that they cannot be successful outside of Japan. Capcom already proved this via Monster Hunter World, but a lot now rides on Monster Hunter World 2 doing more than 10 million sales World Wide. This is still a risky strategy with a lot of uncertainty. Meanwhile, their AA games were abandoned and KONAMI(at the risk of angering Jim Sterling) has outsold them on the Switch with little effort. Konami is also likely to be the first Japanese Developer to have a million-selling game on the Switch in Japan as Momotaro Dentetsu is looking like it will blow past DQXIS by the end of 2020.
I don't even want to get into how inept Sega and Koei Tecmo are, they are starting to challenge Level-5 as the biggest trainwrecks in terms of Switch support.
I meant my point only for WW too, already lost hope for AAA Japanese portfolio. Maybe we got MH for Switch later, but that's it. Yakuza gets a big no from biggest bomb of the Wii U port - praying for this to change. RE joined the western AAA galore, they just need to learn to actually add scummy MTXs on their games for the next step.

AAA costs and productions are just not sustainable in the long term unless you're platform holders, having lots of MTXs or just being best of the best devs.

I'm also not sure if they actually moved to greener pastures or just limiting themselves lol.

MH World 2 is the real test too for PC/console players, to decide whether online multiplayer being the superior experience of MH or the classic local multiplayer. We'll see if they actually sticks to the game without the blind hype.

Top Bottom