• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Synchronicity

Coincidence or something else?

• Total voters

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hi ladies and gents of GAF!

(Not my banner)

I want to preface this thread by saying I'm neither a hardcore skeptic or fully new age woo woo type.

With that said I've also never really researched this phenomena to a degree that I commit to a certain viewpoint. I just experience as I do..and that's that

Okay. Synchronicity:

Synchronicity is an attempt to come up with an explanation for the occurrence of highly improbable coincidences (between events) where there is no causal link. It's based on the premise that existing physics and mathematics cannot explain such things.

(Source Wikipedia)

Seeing that GAF is very diverse in that we have very matter of fact skeptics and those that lean more towards spirituality and such.

So I thought it would be cool to see what to the poll will come to eventually.

And if you have the desire to talk, discuss etc about the subject at hand you are of course free to do that in any manner you see fit:

One liners. Personal experiences, anecdotes, etc.

Perhaps we have some academics who think this Synchronicity is utter bullocks, please, feel free to exert your thoughts.

I will start by reposting a quote i made a couple days ago to get the ball rolling followed with another double digit experience (this morning which I made a photo of) which pushed me over the edge to make this thread#

#This is my first serious thread I've made since lurking here for over almost 2 decades so please be kind lmao

My previous post:
(I was listening to a podcast)

This photo is prefaced by me personally seeing double digits at regular intervals. I've had this happen to me for as long as I can remember.

It comes and goes, like phases (just when was about to type phases the guest on the podcast I'm listening to as I type says, you guessed it; phases. How's that for synchronicity heh. This particular guest coined the term Near Death Experience, he sounds old lol)

I was listening on my phone via spotify but I thought why not play it on my Xbox Spotify app, right? So i open the app and see the tab to continue listening. I clicked on it and paused to corroborate it's the same guest. Well. Look at the time stamp;

63y2KbV.jpg

Love it.

Lately, as in the last 2 a 3 weeks (another phase) it's been 11:11 and 17:17 or 19:19 On a daily basis.

Sometimes one of those but often more

Anyways, felt like sharing

End quote

So this morning first this happend:

And soon after that:

As for me. Well.. I'm not committed to this hypothesis but I have a feeling it's a message for lack of a better term. Or.. Communication from my higher self or such (???) that let's me interpret the double digits specifically as confirmation that I'm on the right path or mindset (which is more or less the same I guess) seeing this recent phase started to manifest when I made some life changing decisions starting almost 6 weeks ago.

This, for my stupid brain, strengthens my "hypothesis".

BUT WHO KNOWS LOL

So yeah. Does this happen to you people as well? Every day or just once in a while? And what are your thought on those occurrences?

TLDR: what's your take on this phenomena? Poop? I hope not!

If you're the rare one who read through my whole post; thanks you.

Kind regards 22•22 22•22

Last edited:

k_trout

there is a great book on this by Jung and Wolfgang Pauli - the interpretaion of nature and the psyche
the quantum foundation of everything is acausal so synchronistic behaviour is par for the course - imo

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Humans invent patterns as a way of coping with the world around them. We are very good at seeing them.

It's an evolutionary holdover, derived from a time when we were hard-wired look for those patterns, as they could save our lives.

That pattern in the bushes over there? That could be nothing - just the grass waving in the wind... or it could be a tiger...

We are geared to try to make order out of chaos, because that makes the world easier to deal with. The world is better if things happen for a reason, and are not just random. That's a comforting thought, but it doesn't make it true.

Synchronicity isn't real. They are just coincidences. There are no other explanations. No higher purpose. No guiding force. Nothing other than you, your own decisions, and the decisions of those around you.

...now here's Tom with the weather!

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Thanks for the responses! I really tried my best as an non native English speaker and I will address all post (I hope) I due time! I made this OT on mobile ans it took ages so I'm currently taking a break. Will Check back later!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
there is a great book on this by Jung and Wolfgang Pauli - the interpretaion of nature and the psyche
the quantum foundation of everything is acausal so synchronistic behaviour is par for the course - imo

I'm very intimidated to go ahead and try to read this content (I have to start looking up the meaning of acausal for instance) But Jung has been popping up a couple times in the last week so. Thanks man for the recommendation.

Humans invent patterns as a way of coping with the world around them. We are very good at seeing them.

It's an evolutionary holdover, derived from a time when we were hard-wired look for those patterns, as they could save our lives.

That pattern in the bushes over there? That could be nothing - just the grass waving in the wind... or it could be a tiger...

We are geared to try to make order out of chaos, because that makes the world easier to deal with. The world is better if things happen for a reason, and are not just random. That's a comforting thought, but it doesn't make it true.

Synchronicity isn't real. They are just coincidences. There are no other explanations. No higher purpose. No guiding force. Nothing other than you, your own decisions, and the decisions of those around you.

...now here's Tom with the weather!

But that's different. I don't have a routine where I have a short window to look at the clock and you didnt go into the more abstract causality (??) of the forum post of Mikado Mikado mentioned (that post was made a day after my post in the what are you listening to thread.)

And yes I agree we have a deeply psychological rooted instinct, if you will, to seek patterns for ways you described well. That's the thing as well, patterns happen mostly in generalities. And are all over the place. My smoke breaks (kitchen microwave) are random and not routinely as such it could explain away the double digits as mere coincidence or looking for patterns.

I think.

But fair enough and thank you for responding Mr Miller =)

Where's Tom? He's late!

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I have to take my time to read this thoroughly. Buts it's core concept seems indeed logical. You state it as fact, correct? That this is 100% the case. (?)

Thanks Bartski
It's a natural phenomenon where we're inclined to notice patters in places we expect them to occur, and tend to assign meaning to such patterns.

Also not sure about your daily intake but during my time living in The Netherlands I used to melt ~3 g's of the strongest pot in town a day and my whole life felt like a continous steam of synchronious events. It's part of the course ;)

RAÏSanÏa

Keep a diary of it for awhile. Nothing obsessive and don't expect anything since generally it would be nothing and will likely be nothing later on. However, if it's provoking latent thoughts looking for a form of expression at least a diary of the times and thoughts might reveal another layer to the pattern to explore.

Hi ladies and gents of GAF!

Synchronicity is an attempt to come up with an explanation for the occurrence of highly improbable coincidences (between events) where there is no causal link. It's based on the premise that existing physics and mathematics cannot explain such things.

(Source Wikipedia)

This photo is prefaced by me personally seeing double digits at regular intervals. I've had this happen to me for as long as I can remember. It comes and goes, like phases.

I was listening on my phone via spotify but I thought why not play it on my Xbox Spotify app, right? So i open the app and see the tab to continue listening. I clicked on it and paused to corroborate it's the same guest. Well. Look at the time stamp;

63y2KbV.jpg

Love it.

Lately, as in the last 2 a 3 weeks (another phase) it's been 11:11 and 17:17 or 19:19 On a daily basis.

So yeah. Does this happen to you people as well? Every day or just once in a while? And what are your thought on those occurrences?
I edited your OP because I hate it.

As for me, I don't have any examples of synchronicity that come to mind. However, I believe there are patterns in nature, human behavior, the universe, etc that show up everywhere. I'm not smart enough to go any deeper on the subject, I just think "reality" has a framework otherwise how could we even perceive it?

The inner is reflected in the outer and vice versa. I don't know why that would seem outlandish to some. Everything is interrelated.

In fact, the idea of separation, of distinct objects or beings is the more ridiculous notion, an idea fabricated by minds that see themselves as unique and independent entities, isolated and free from "external" support and influence. The idea of an independent self ought to be seen as an obvious fabrication, yet it is the norm. The ego is surely a tough nut to crack.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Guys I'm tired. I'll shit post tonight for sure but I want to have a clear mind when adressing your responses.

Wildebeest

I think a lot of talk about synchronicity comes from a faulty interpretation of Goethe's studies of plant morphology. He observed that in biology, a lot of the same patterns or types tended to reoccur. In evolutionary biology today, it is also said that evolution often finds different paths to the same solution. But I think Goethe went further and talked of some sort of perfect archetype which the patterns were expressions of. Probably he did not talk about this much, but it sparked the fantasies and imaginations of people who came after.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's a natural phenomenon where we're inclined to notice patters in places we expect them to occur, and tend to assign meaning to such patterns.

Also not sure about your daily intake but during my time living in The Netherlands I used to melt ~3 g's of the strongest pot in town a day and my whole life felt like a continous steam of synchronious events. It's part of the course ;)

Going of your super condensed..... No sorry I'm going to get back to this at a later date.

Oh and I haven't smoked in 15 years =P

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think a lot of talk about synchronicity comes from a faulty interpretation of Goethe's studies of plant morphology. He observed that in biology, a lot of the same patterns or types tended to reoccur. In evolutionary biology today, it is also said that evolution often finds different paths to the same solution. But I think Goethe went further and talked of some sort of perfect archetype which the patterns were expressions of. Probably he did not talk about this much, but it sparked the fantasies and imaginations of people who came after.

Will mull it over even when it's much over my head and respond later. Thank you for your input

The repeating number patterns really stand out and seem significant, but I’m guessing you didn’t take any pictures of your clock at 09:10, although that could be another pattern of sequential numbers, but you didn’t take any pictures or take notice when you glanced over and it read 05:08, but then those are numbers in Fibonacci sequence, could it be a message?

Just wanted to give examples of what FunkMiller FunkMiller was saying, humans seek patterns and they can seem significant but it’s just happening in your brain. I’m sure lots of people had the experience of looking at their clocks at 9:11 after those numbers became associated with a terrorist event. Spooky! But all in our heads.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The repeating number patterns really stand out and seem significant, but I’m guessing you didn’t take any pictures of your clock at 09:10, although that could be another pattern of sequential numbers, but you didn’t take any pictures or take notice when you glanced over and it read 05:08, but then those are numbers in Fibonacci sequence, could it be a message?

Just wanted to give examples of what FunkMiller FunkMiller was saying, humans seek patterns and they can seem significant but it’s just happening in your brain. I’m sure lots of people had the experience of looking at their clocks at 9:11 after those numbers became associated with a terrorist event. Spooky! But all in our heads.

To me it's indeed the fact they're the same double digits. The 10:10 this morning was rare. And in essence it's a pattern I guess. It's just that's the same numbers daily and for weeks. Anyways just wanted to give a quick reply.
Prolly edit it tomorrow. Thanks.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Keep a diary of it for awhile. Nothing obsessive and don't expect anything since generally it would be nothing and will likely be nothing later on. However, if it's provoking latent thoughts looking for a form of expression at least a diary of the times and thoughts might reveal another layer to the pattern to explore.

The inner is reflected in the outer and vice versa. I don't know why that would seem outlandish to some. Everything is interrelated.

In fact, the idea of separation, of distinct objects or beings is the more ridiculous notion, an idea fabricated by minds that see themselves as unique and independent entities, isolated and free from "external" support and influence. The idea of an independent self ought to be seen as an obvious fabrication, yet it is the norm. The ego is surely a tough nut to crack.

Does anyone else think it's weird that the numbers just go up sequentially? Like who made them do that. No way that happens by random chance.

Sorry I've had a crazy day. And am exhausted for this subject matter. Again I will shitpost but this is to mentally draining atm. My posts are long winded and I just want to relax and game/make jokey posts here and there ♡♡◇

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
No it's dutch. I'm self tought (?)

Didnt even finish your equivalent of high school due to mental issues.

Or were you sarcastic and now everyone knows I'm a dumbass lmao

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This photo is prefaced by me personally seeing double digits at regular intervals. I've had this happen to me for as long as I can remember.
Take a look at the times of your posts in this thread!

Just completely random with no pattern - although with enough time and drugs I am sure someone could scratch some calculations in their basement wall that would make it a pattern.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Take a look at the times of your posts in this thread!

Just completely random with no pattern - although with enough time and drugs I am sure someone could scratch some calculations in their basement wall that would make it a pattern.

Whats your point?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I would not have known, man. You write very well. No sarcasm.

Wow great compliment, I'll take it! It takes a long time and lots of auto corrects though! But regarding the sentences structure and stuff I'm clueless.

Plus I'm on mobile and mostly have no patience with typing. This thread was a rare case where I took my time

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
OMG 22:22 !!!!1 (at least on my phone heh)

Relax it's a joke.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
????

I was half way through reacting to you all your quotes when I got a call and had to order something. I come back and all my text is gone?

Yeah. Not going through all that again right now.

Paragraphs full of well thought out arguments and such. Gone. FFS Very very frustrating.

I was doing so well 😭😭😭😭

Last edited:
Top Bottom