• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Synchronicity

Coincidence or something else?

• Total voters
I used "hypothesis" . As in a way to describe my thoughts regarding the subject matter.

English isn't my native tongue.

"Ridiculous" .... That's nice.

And I was talking about Synchronicity not patterns.

Last attempt at and example.

I wake up and suddenly start thinking about how my brother is doing. Not even 3 minutes later he calls me out of nowhere. We don't speak often btw.

Math, right?

Kay, another one, paraphrasing from a friend.
On one random day he sees a movie on his harddrive he's forgotten about for months but still wants to see. Later that afternoon that movie comes up in an article he's reading.

Math, right?
Did you ever think about your brother and then he didn’t happen to call? Probably happens more often than the time he happened to call you, but those other times aren’t very memorable or significant.

Your friend and the movie, it’s like when you get a new car then see them all around town because you’re more sensitive to noticing that model of car all the sudden. There’s a million things to notice every day, but we take notice of things that seem especially coincidental.

Again back to the clocks, surely you look at the time when it’s not all repeating digits, what is the proportion of random times observed vs special patterns?

If you go looking for something you’re likely to find it, I think that is what is being called self delusion. It’s true I’m skeptical that seeing these patterns has any greater meaning, but I hope you’re not offended by me saying so. I think it would improve your mental outlook to realize none of this means anything and focus your energy on something else, but I also understand the appeal of the patterns. As I said earlier we are pattern seeking creatures, but that can be used against you by mystical fakers to sell you crystals and shit, so while this conversation is all in good fun, trusting too much in that idea can lead you to a vulnerable mental state that is easy to take advantage of. I think that’s what people who are being harsh towards the idea are really upset with, easily swayed credulity that leads to being conned, and I don’t want that for anyone!

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
In Japan, they are afraid of number four which is shi it also means death more combinations of 4 there are more danger you are in
That is so odd, I never knew that. Which makes me wonder if it has ever actually happend where someone has died after seeing subsequent numbers, it probably has, purely by chance.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Did you ever think about your brother and then he didn’t happen to call? Probably happens more often than the time he happened to call you, but those other times aren’t very memorable or significant.

Your friend and the movie, it’s like when you get a new car then see them all around town because you’re more sensitive to noticing that model of car all the sudden. There’s a million things to notice every day, but we take notice of things that seem especially coincidental.

Again back to the clocks, surely you look at the time when it’s not all repeating digits, what is the proportion of random times observed vs special patterns?

If you go looking for something you’re likely to find it, I think that is what is being called self delusion. It’s true I’m skeptical that seeing these patterns has any greater meaning, but I hope you’re not offended by me saying so. I think it would improve your mental outlook to realize none of this means anything and focus your energy on something else, but I also understand the appeal of the patterns. As I said earlier we are pattern seeking creatures, but that can be used against you by mystical fakers to sell you crystals and shit, so while this conversation is all in good fun, trusting too much in that idea can lead you to a vulnerable mental state that is easy to take advantage of. I think that’s what people who are being harsh towards the idea are really upset with, easily swayed credulity that leads to being conned, and I don’t want that for anyone!

I'm not easily swayed and therefore blindly following some new age dribble nor deluding myself in feeling special and above others when these events occur. And I agree with all you said. It's a complex matter with blurry lines in my eyes and I'm in no way offended by anything you've said. It's a great post you've made actually. The car example hits close to home. But that's the thing for me, i feel there's a underlying connection past the already coined examples that goes beyond mere individual psychological constructs.

But like I've said, I haven't done the cross collaborating studies on all these matters which go very deep imo to talk in facts.

I just have a feeling it's more than simple mathematics and ingrained ways the mind seeks patterns and such. It's a personal intuition. You know the phrase "this cannot be mere coincidence" and my scale tips more towards that route.

Great post Baron.

Once again, I'm not here advocating anything or try to change folks minds. Just open dialogue. Like your post.

So posts that are rude. Immediately dismissive and act like I'm a mere delusional fool are non productive. And yes. I'm no angel myself.

Ps. It's also society's programming at work when you get these automatic dismissive replies. IMHO

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I do have some kind of premonitory power. It's extremely weird. I used to have perfect scores in school because I dreamt of the exams. Even at university for a calculus exam, I just answered without doing calculations and got a perfect score while the average was like 20%. Last year, I had called my dad saying he will won the lottery soon. He won the next weekend. And no I'm not bs-ing. When I do stuff that I shouldn't do, oh boy I'm punished for it. And on the opposite, I have success in things that have terribly low odds of happening.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I bet you know that in for example science, you should STFU when you find something that turns a decades old consensus into an almost laughable state of being if you want to keep your career, grants and support going for you, if not straight out bullied by your peers or worse. You see almost the same thing happen here. It's not the perfect analogy but perhaps you can read between te lines to see what I mean.

Last edited:

lukilladog

But you said it was all math

🤔

Thanks for personally insulting me for just thinking out loud. Classy.

I didn´t call you an idiot or anything like that, bias thinking is a problem in everyone´s brain. When you recognize it you will be less prone to believe in stuff like this:

https://www.verywellmind.com/cognitive-biases-distort-thinking-2794763

Ps.- As for the example you gave and math, it´s evident that the mathematical chances of someone calling you when you are thinking about them, increase exponentially when they are related to you and they have your number.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I bet you know that in for example science, you should STFU when you find something that turns a decades old consensus into an almost laughable state of being if you want to keep your career, grants and support going for you, if not straight out bullied by your peers or worse. You see almost the same thing happen here. It's not the perfect analogy but perhaps you can read between te lines to see what I mean.
Yeah this isn't true.

Crayon

There's a lot of stuff handwaved off to cognitive biases, as if those doing so are free from them. Like bringing in a psychic to find a body only works 1/20 (or whatever) times and it's cognitive bias that we only focus on the one successful one. So the chance of someone guessing where the body is over some 100 mile area is supposed to be a coincidence with a 1/20 chance. If someone doubts that it's pure coincidence, and I deny their reasoning is logical, maybe I'm the one with the bias. If we find a mechanism in the future that allows for a thumb to be put on the scale of random coincidence, I'm going to be surprised but it's not going to rock my world or anything.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
There's a lot of stuff handwaved off to cognitive biases, as if those doing so are free from them. Like bringing in a psychic to find a body is only works 1/20 (or whatever) times and it's cognitive bias that we only focus on the one successful one. So the chance of someone guessing where the body is over some 100 mile area is supposed to be a coincidence with a 1/20 chance. If someone doubts that is pure coincidence, and I deny their reasoning is logical, maybe I'm the one with the bias. If we find a mechanism in the future that allows for a thumb to be put on the scale of random coincidence, I'm going to be surprised but it's not going to rock my world or anything.

Indeed. Well said.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
PLATE OF SHRIMP amirite?

I'm pretty sure it's just the mind playing tricks.

Dont get your reference but if that's what you feel best with. You do do brother. And don't confuse my post with condescending and sincerity. It's the latter.

Mikado

Gold Member
If you liked that -

hf4eL1p.png

Your reaction to my comment in your birthday thread boosted my reaction score to the above.

*XFiles theme plays*

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I have a mild obsession with synchronicity. Probably makes me come across a bit self-centered, so I tend to keep it to myself. Call them patterns, or coincidences, or whatever you like.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I didn´t call you an idiot or anything like that, bias thinking is a problem in everyone´s brain. When you recognize it you will be less prone to believe in stuff like this:

https://www.verywellmind.com/cognitive-biases-distort-thinking-2794763

Ps.- As for the example you gave and math, it´s evident that the mathematical chances of someone calling you when you are thinking about them, increase exponentially when they are related to you and they have your number.

Have to read the article. But not on my 40th birthday.

Thanks for responding ♡

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
From who?

Graham Hancock himself, his son and he's mentioned handfuls of examples of well esteemed colleagues that underwent the same.

Jordan Peterson as well if my memory serves correct.

Counter question;

How do you say "Yeah that's not true" which such an air of confidence? Intriguing.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
"Professional skeptics" Payed royally to keep the ancient status quo in check. Why tho?
It's quite the rabbit hole. To be clear I'm talking about social, spiritual, ancient forbidden knowledge. That's purposeful being withheld for the public to maintain a certain mindset which is helpful for those behind the veil

Not Steve that gets ridiculed for coming up for a new theory about donut fabrication that's more efficient or "green".

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Child trafficking. Cool clip.
Automatic behaviour does indeed makes the mind lazy. Or at least less prone to react quickly to to dynamic situations. Why'd you think Elon thinks automatic driven cars are saver. Leavea room for the mind.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Graham Hancock himself, his son and he's mentioned handfuls of examples of well esteemed colleagues that underwent the same.

Jordan Peterson as well if my memory serves correct.

Counter question;

How do you say "Yeah that's not true" which such an air of confidence? Intriguing.
You said scientists so I figured you were talking about people espousing controversial scientific theories like continental drift or h pylori as the cause of ulcers.
I say that's not true because I am a scientist and have never seen this happen, nor can I really see how it would.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You said scientists so I figured you were talking about people espousing controversial scientific theories like continental drift or h pylori as the cause of ulcers.
I say that's not true because I am a scientist and have never seen this happen, nor can I really see how it would.

Yeah I'm talking about shit that's waaaaay beyond ulcers.
With that said I respect you and can understand you wouldn't come across I stated.

I'm taking about core aspects that are are so fundamental to to our perception of life and it's manipulated history that made me say the things I said. I'm at a loss for words trying to convey what a shitshow it is when you're dealing with such fundamental issues.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Look it up. Thousands of kids go missing every year. Going on for years. Get with it yo

I know chris. Sounds absurd

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
OK, weirdly specific thing to take from that fragment that imo has nothing to do with it but you are consistent in being all over the place so why not I guess.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Please, next time tell me which place I should go with when watching a 2 min random clip.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I remember it being about people missing in South America which was a very specific issue in especially Argentina in the 70s. It's not about underground sex trafficking involving children, those don't really "disappear".
Please, next time tell me which place I should go with when watching a 2 min random clip.

Well it wasn't random, it described exaclty what you were rambling on about.

You know what, forget I was here and enjoy you BD or whatever and the shrooms I hope you ingested before typing all this.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Its brought up randomly (context less exert) so I replied to that specific remark that's global in essence.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I remember it being about people missing in South America which was a very specific issue in especially Argentina in the 70s. It's not about underground sex trafficking involving children, those don't really "disappear".

Well it wasn't random, it described exaclty what you were rambling on about.

You know what, forget I was here and enjoy you BD or whatever and the shrooms I hope you ingested before typing all this

Christian Bale Nodding GIF

My dad died on the morning of Friday, November the 13th 1992. My daughter was born on the morning of Friday, November the 13th 2009. While I wish there was something more to it, it is most likely just a very unlikely coincidence. I would love to know the odds of that happening but I'm not very good with numbers.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
My dad died on the morning of Friday, November the 13th 1992. My daughter was born on the morning of Friday, November the 13th 2009. While I wish there was something more to it, it is most likely just a very unlikely coincidence. I would love to know the odds of that happening but I'm not very good with numbers.

My condolences and congratulations of that makes sense.

Thank for sharing. Whatever you call it; it's at last super coincidental! And very special.

My condolences and congratulations of that makes sense.

Thank for sharing. Whatever you call it; it's at last super coincidental! And very special.
Thanks, man. How I look at it is that what was once a terrible anniversary date is now less so. My daughter thinks it is pretty special too.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Synchronicity, for me, is more than patterns, coincidences etc

Yeserday me and a lady friend went to a equivalent of a mega Home Depot.

From all the people working there, when asked where are the hammers for example, it's like isle 22 left side ie: short, to he point and that's all I need.

Yesterday from dozens and dozens of workers we asked a man about some stuff she needed. Next moment he was giving (good) advice but didn't answer our question regarding the placement of said stuff she needed.

I kid you not he went on a personal tirade and kept going about other options for at least 7 to minutes.

Three times I gave him a clue that said yeah thanks but no thanks. Small social clues. I even turned my back. He didn't pick up on anything and kept talking passionately to my friend about personal stuff. And no he wasn't flirting.

The reason I'm telling you this is as follows,

My friend has trouble speaking up (in general) and here we are with the universe giving her a git gud practice run with this guy. She failed.

Next half hour I'm walking with a frustrated friend. Part because he was quite negative (telling us about his problems with his neighbours) and partly because she didn't speak up and said hey man I'm just looking for the stuff mmmmkay?

I say this is IMO also synchronicity because she so has to confront some neighbours about some stuff that's bothering her. (She's in the right)

Practicing on a random dude was a gift unnoticed and unused.

IM NOT SAYING that every encounter is a lesson waiting to happen but when you're aware this can happen it will facilitate your growth. I think.

The End

Last edited:
Offhand I’d say 1 in 365. You could look at it from different angles but that’s about the chance of any 2 random things happening on the same day of the year. If you are considering the morning part to be significant you could multiply that 1/365 by 1/4 to account for the fact it took place in the same rough quarter of the day, so that would put you at about 1/1460.

Offhand I’d say 1 in 365. You could look at it from different angles but that’s about the chance of any 2 random things happening on the same day of the year. If you are considering the morning part to be significant you could multiply that 1/365 by 1/4 to account for the fact it took place in the same rough quarter of the day, so that would put you at about 1/1460.
You are completely right. From a logical standpoint, it is purely coincidental. I sometimes think about the chance of both of those days being a Friday the 13th and wonder for a second if there is something more to it, but I know there isn't. That is my emotional side peeking out looking for a sign of something greater.

Top Bottom