• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Synchronicity

Coincidence or something else?

• Total voters

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
You are completely right. From a logical standpoint, it is purely coincidental. I sometimes think about the chance of both of those days being a Friday the 13th and wonder for a second if there is something more to it, but I know there isn't. That is my emotional side peeking out looking for a sign of something greater.
Yeah but it is fun to think about and calculate and ponder about your family’s lineage past and present and the connection that runs through. It’s interesting to think about the parts that seem significant to us, like I didn’t think about both days being Friday the 13th, that’s even less likely but then you could think about the chances of anyone else in your family being born on such a day that would also fulfill the same strange prophecy. If nothing else it forms a connection in your brain between your daughter and father and keeps his memory alive in that way, which is significant in its own way.

I think what the OP says is bullshit (sorry!), BUT...ever since listening to 4:44 by Jay-Z, I notice 4:44 a LOT when I look at clocks.

It's going to be in my brain forever. The album is pretty good, by the way.

Last edited:

Dai Kaiju

Synchronicity is the worst thing that ever happened to me. Started happening before I had belief in anything spiritual about 8 years ago.. I had these crazy one in a million "coincidences" happening to me throughout the day every day and it got so bizarre I went into a state of psychosis thinking aliens were trying to contact me. It went way beyond seeing the same numbers over and over again though there was plenty of that.

It's easy to dismiss it until you've experienced it yourself.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Synchronicity is the worst thing that ever happened to me. Started happening before I had belief in anything spiritual about 8 years ago.. I had these crazy one in a million "coincidences" happening to me throughout the day every day and it got so bizarre I went into a state of psychosis thinking aliens were trying to contact me. It went way beyond seeing the same numbers over and over again though there was plenty of that.

And Synchronicity is, I think, prone to overlapping inner core psychological constructs which makes the lines blurry that in turn makes it darn difficult to call your experience(s) what it is. Mostly a culmination with each construct playing a certain percentage.

Should've said this in my OP

Sarcastic Shoot GIF by Tristen J. Winger

Last edited:

k1m1d4n

First of all I would like to congratulate you on your birthday. I know it's not the right thread but I had this feeling I should have written it but I let it pass.
And after reading this thread a chain of events started happening so I couldn't let it pass.
I usually don't have much time to be writing on GAF but it seems, somehow, I had to.
I will be posting my experience here soon

k1m1d4n

22•22 22•22
So, it's going to be a long story. Try to hold on until the end.

It all started with your birthday thread. I opened it because I was curious to know what you looked like, younger than 40, older, fat, thin, whatever... In these forums all we see is nicknames, letters and some random pic and never the "real" person, so it was cool to put a face on the name.
When I saw the elden ring character 🤯 awesome. But as always, being to busy to write I didn't say anything...

As I was doing a little GAF check up between work deliveries I stumbled on this thread, synchronicity (it had to be that 22 guy), and read only the first few posts and the thing that stuck with me was that "other self trying to give a message" part and being a numbers guy it really felt like there was something there.
As I was thinking about it I was parked in my car and as I was doing a reverse I thought "wouldn't it be funny if I was trying to warn myself about a car coming" so I hit the brakes and DAMN... THERE REALLY WAS A CAR THERE and I didn't see it...
I then wanted to write something about it but I knew it was going to be long explaining everything and more, I'm just some guy on a forum I don't even participate much, who's going to want to listen to my story. And that ended it.

So then today happened.
I had a customer to deliver and he wanted plastic bags of a set size. I didn't have so I sent the bigger size and as I was adding what he had to pay me, two random numbers turned into this
22.55€ + 21.89€ = 44.44€ 🤯
And I immediately had a flashback to what happened yesterday. "This is awesome I have to share this..." Nevermind it takes a lot of time to write it and nobody cares.
As the morning went by as I as doing receipts for other costumers the number 44 kept popping up. But what was 44... At that moment the only thing that came to mind was 22+22. And I knew that even if it was only a coincidence, this time I would make the time to share this. I had to.

I know that your tag says you don't need recognition but I also know that if you believe in synchronicity you probably also believe that somehow there is something that connects us all.

I just want you to know that through your sharing and through the experience that I had I felt connected to you all the way from a small city in Portugal, called Loulé.
Thanks man.

Ps. Just to top it all off, as I was planning this wall of text in my head and driving at the same time I decided to park the car and instead of going forward as I always do I turned right, lost in my thoughts.
I pass my wife's car and it's parked near some garbage cans and recycling bins unlocked with rear door a tiny bit opened. It stayed like that all night, thankfully nothing was missing. I locked it and thought "if I hadn't turn right I never would have known".
I then ran home and started to write 🤯

It can be a real deconstruction of commonly accepted "reality", that's for sure. And that foundational erosion comes with some potentially dramatic upheaval. I understand completely.

The most important thing for me was to learn to let go of preconceived notions that bound me to a particular method of perception - to let go and allow things to be what they are, whether I understand why such things are happening or not.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
First of all; Hi!

And secondly I really appreciate the time and semi courage to relay your experiences in a detailed and vivid way. Remind me a lot of how write myself.. Thirdly, thanks for the Elden Ring comment haha =P

With that said. Everything you mentioned is IMO beyond coincidence but also has parts of, well, the skeptics explained very well. But damn if isn't weird huh? Makes one wonder at least. So many reasons that could explain your days. IMO in your case it was some sort of subconscious connection that made those numbers happen. It bet if you hadn't read the thread those wouldn't have occurred. Call it what you want, in the end; it is what it is.

But for me personally it makes life more.... magical for lack of a better more nuanced term..

Thanks for taking the time to post brother. And greetings from another small town in Holland.

Btw. If everybody thought their opinion didn't matter. There was no Neogaf.. Took a long time to feel at home. I mean. Who cares about my input yeah? 2 years later being an active member I've made friends and a place to share my unasked thoughts.

And if German Hops German Hops can post so can you

😁😏🙈💗

Kind regards 22•22

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It can be a real deconstruction of commonly accepted "reality", that's for sure. And that foundational erosion comes with some potentially dramatic upheaval. I understand completely.

The most important thing for me was to learn to let go of preconceived notions that bound me to a particular method of perception - to let go and allow things to be what they are, whether I understand why such things are happening or not.

Well said.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
A lot of double digits last few days.

We're all souls that choose to incarnate to grow spiritually. Those easy rich pricks? Just an experience. Folks without legs? Experience. Hard pill to swallow. And I'm not sure I'm correct

Last edited:

Crayon

A lot of double digits last few days.

We're all souls that choose to incarnate to grow spiritually. Those easy rich pricks? Just an experience. Folks without legs? Experience. Hard pill to swallow. And I'm not sure I'm correct

I think it's good to try to integrate a personal tragedy but I wouldn't go telling other people their's is just an experience. That doesn't always go well.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think it's good to try to integrate a personal tragedy but I wouldn't go telling other people their's is just an experience. That doesn't always go well.

Sound advice and I should put a disclaimer that I'm talking out of my ass.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I had never heard of this until seeing the thread just now.

For me it mostly boils down to two things that I'm sure have been mentioned already: humans like patterns, and confirmation bias. I'll give an example from experience.

For many years, I've been aware of the fact that I fairly often look at the time when it matches my birthday (DD:MM). Every time I do it, it adds to a long list of times that I've done so.

But I look at a clock 50 times a day, and I have undoubtedly looked at any given minute of the waking day over the course of my lifespan. The only difference is that when I looked at the birthday time, by recognising that those 4 digits align with something else in my life, it was something that caused slightly more brain activity and conscious recognition than looking at the time normally does. Acknowledging the times I do check at the specific time is where the confirmation bias comes in, because there have also been plenty of times that I've been close either side.

More recently, a friend stopped in the middle of a conversation to point out that the time was 11:11, and began messaging at 11:11 to point out that she noticed that it was that time. I had never cared about this before, but since it sparked a conversation about it (and my birthday time) I've began noticing 11:11. For lack of a better word, those times have more "significance" than other times because of one thing or another. I'm sure plenty of people notice when it's 4:20 if they're up early or are dirty 12 hour clock people.

Now the question is why we repeatedly look at the clock at that specific time, and for that I have three answers:
1. Probability. If you run a simulation of picking random times in a waking day the same number of times as you normally would and checking what the results are, chances are you'll land on a "significant" number before long.
2. Habit. We're creatures of habit, and we don't always realise we're doing it. It's deep rooted.
3. Peripheral vision. How many times have you looked at something because your instincts said "Look at this it might be familiar"? If your brain processes a significant time at the bottom of your monitor, it will grab your attention. The automatic side has seen the familiar pattern of numbers and decided that the conscious mind should take a look.

I haven't read much of anything past some posts on the first page to get a feel for the concept, so this almost certainly retreads ground covered by others. But sometimes I like to come in fresh with my initial thoughts.

Experiment: if you notice that it is 10:23, think of this thread. 10:23. 10:23.

I rarely look at the time but half the time I do I see (0 or 5)55:5 or 11:11. Also see the same two numbers pop up on the micrwoave or oven clock when it's off and often see it out of the blue when i'm browsing. Been seing these numbers frequently since 2019. What do you think this means?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I rarely look at the time but half the time I do I see (0 or 5)55:5 or 11:11. Also see the same two numbers pop up on the micrwoave or oven clock when it's off and often see it out of the blue when i'm browsing. Been seing these numbers frequently since 2019. What do you think this means?

Wrong forum for your question as I made the OP and been through it all. Let me say there's no such thing a coincidence and communication takes on many forms.

Wrong forum for your question as I made the OP and been through it all. Let me say there's no such thing a coincidence and communication takes on many forms.
I know there's no such thing as a coincidence, i've been seeing this consistently for over 3 years. I'm actually convinced by now a higher being is sending me these messages and just really want to know what it means.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I know there's no such thing as a coincidence, i've been seeing this consistently for over 3 years. I'm actually convinced by now a higher being is sending me these messages and just really want to know what it means.

Don't we all friend.

Don't we all.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Reality and it's relationship to consciousness is quite complex. May tie in with... nevermind..

It's a coincidence.

Carry on

Trunx81

Probably rules as coincidence, but here’s my story:

I visited New York a few years ago (I’m from Europe) and my then current gf and I decided to visit Time Square in the evening to see what all the fuzz about the pretty lights was all about. We were tired (jet lag) but still decided to go. Suddenly I see a girl taking some fotos who looked familiar. Went over and said her name … and it was her: A classmate from high school I haven’t seen for over a decade. She was having a US round trip with her bf and this was her only evening in NY. We took a picture as we both were sure no one would ever believe this story.

The trip was great in other parts as well: Saw Ben Stiller filming “The secret life of Walter Mitty” and talked a bit with the filming crew.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Probably rules as coincidence, but here’s my story:

I visited New York a few years ago (I’m from Europe) and my then current gf and I decided to visit Time Square in the evening to see what all the fuzz about the pretty lights was all about. We were tired (jet lag) but still decided to go. Suddenly I see a girl taking some fotos who looked familiar. Went over and said her name … and it was her: A classmate from high school I haven’t seen for over a decade. She was having a US round trip with her bf and this was her only evening in NY. We took a picture as we both were sure no one would ever believe this story.

The trip was great in other parts as well: Saw Ben Stiller filming “The secret life of Walter Mitty” and talked a bit with the filming crew.

Did she pop up in your thoughts the weeks leading up towards the trip? Did you or both had a special interest in whatever she was photographing when you saw each other?

Trunx81

Did she pop up in your thoughts the weeks leading up towards the trip? Did you or both had a special interest in whatever she was photographing when you saw each other?
The later. I wouldn’t probably have noticed here if we both didn’t decide to take a picture of the same billboard.

But I must say that the synchronicity that I have with my wife is much more often even more astonishing. We react in sync to the same things, suddenly say the same things at the same time, etc. But that’s probably due to the fact that we know each other so well and think alike.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The later. I wouldn’t probably have noticed here if we both didn’t decide to take a picture of the same billboard.

But I must say that the synchronicity that I have with my wife is much more often even more astonishing. We react in sync to the same things, suddenly say the same things at the same time, etc. But that’s probably due to the fact that we know each other so well and think alike.

Yeah it's hard to determine.

For example, hypothetical speaking ofcourse. If you would've randomly dreamt or thought of that NY woman a month ahead or your wife of whoever would've brought here up then yeah I would say there would've been a reason to meet each other. Otherwise I'd say coincidence.

Trunx81

Yeah it's hard to determine.

For example, hypothetical speaking ofcourse. If you would've randomly dreamt or thought of that NY woman a month ahead or your wife of whoever would've brought here up then yeah I would say there would've been a reason to meet each other. Otherwise I'd say coincidence.
Does premonition count for this thread? Got a nice story about that too, Final Destination Style

Top Bottom