• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syphon Filter 1, 2, Dark Mirror, and Logan’s Shadow rated for PS5 and PS4 in Korea

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Syphon-Filter-Ratings_04-22-22_Top.jpg

The Game Rating and Administration Committee of Korea has rated Syphon Filter, Syphon Filter 2, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, and Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadowfor PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.

Syphon-Filter-Ratings_04-22-22.jpg

Syphon Filter originally launched for PlayStation on February 17, 1999, followed by Syphon Filter 2 on March 14, 2000. Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror originally launched for PSP on March 14, 2006, followed by Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow on October 2, 2007.

The only two games in the series that were not rated are Syphon Filter 3, originally released for PlayStation on November 6, 2001, and Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain, originally released for PlayStation 2 on May 4, 2004.

The titles will likely be offered as part of the PlayStation Plus Premium tier set to launch in June, which includes access to a catalogue of “beloved classic games” from the original PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and PSP generations.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Nice. I can finally play all the Syphon Filters aside from 1-3.
Curious to see how the controls will be on the PS5. 1-3 are reeeeaaaaalllllyyyy pushing it these days.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Interesting, at the very least Sony should make that their own PS1, PS2 and PSP games are available.
100%
Some absolute bangers there.
Even though it is fucked licencing wise, 24:The Game needs to be available.

Also those horrible GAA games (GAA football 2 and GAA hurling). I'd buy them.

I can see PS Plus library of games being quite good in the future. Sony has such a rich history already...
Curious to see wha else is available on PS Plus in June.

Rudius

I only briefly tested Syphon Filter back then, but would buy a good quality remake.

Next on my list would be Soul Reaver remake, hopefully expanded to include what was cutted during development.

Interesting, at the very least Sony should make sure that their own PS1, PS2 and PSP games are available.
100%
Some absolute bangers there.
Even though it is fucked licencing wise, 24:The Game needs to be available.

Also those horrible GAA games (GAA football 2 and GAA hurling). I'd buy them.

My guess is many will be there but also on somewhat of a rotation to keep players subscribed.

I'm really looking forward to playing the PSP games with dual analog. To that point, I hope we get the PS2 versions and not the PSP versions.

yurinka

I miss Syphon Filter 3 and (this one maybe already is available for PS4 and PS5 because it's a PS2 game) Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain there, but love to see Syphon Filter is going to get love in the new PS+.

This is just ports working on current consoles i think.
I bet they will be the original PS1 and PSP games emulated to sell them in the PSN store and to include them in PS+.

I can dream but what are the chances that non-subs can still get PSone/PS2 BC?
All the PS2 & PS4 games included in PS Now were also available to be purchased outside the subscription in the PS4+PS5 PSN store, and all the PS3 games included in PS Now were available to be purchased in the PS3 PSN store.

So I assume they will be available to be purchased in the PS3 or PS4+PS5 store.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I loved syphon filter when it came out but I played it recently and talk about a game aging badly. I would totally be for a remake but those games are pretty terrible now. The PSP ones were mediocre when they were released. Probably due to the PSP gimped controls.

Syphon filter is a really cool IP so I have no idea why Sony just sits on it and doesn’t green light a modern game. I new Syphon filter could be a really great game and would be very conducive to a multiplayer component.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
These games don't hold up (unlike brilliant oldies like the Thief, Rainbow Six or SWAT series, it's not just their age at fault). An all new game in the series could be ace however, taking after these spy thriller style plots with some Splinter Cell: Blacklist type modern gameplay and what not (which Ubisoft has abandoned in favor of sandbox crap so it'd be nice to get it from other studios). If you like old games I recommend going back to play other better games you forgot or missed which do hold up instead. Even "B" games like Project I.G.I. were objectively better yet Syphon Filter was more renowned by virtue of the era's Sony/PlayStation bias. For a PSX fix then Tenchu is better despite technical issues and of course Medal of Honor and MGS...

CamHostage

how much you wanna bet the emulation will be worse than existing emulators lol

I can't imagine any professional emulator would include the new z-buffer and mipmap or widescreen hack features that have been added to PS1 emulators, and certainly none would use any of the AI-remastered texture passes. It can be a gorgeous improvement on the games, but these are such a fundamental change of how the games look and perform that it's just not how an official emulator would be used. (Granted, Square used AI remastering for its Chrono Cross release, but that was a single, repackaged product.) Plus there'd probably be some legal issues with offering changed assets and modifications to the game that an official distributor couldn't get into but a hacker can do now.

It's a shame, the up-rendered/hack-improvement techniques don't help Syphon Filter a lot (it's not super conducive to the way it did textures and lighting) but it does clean up the visuals.

maxresdefault.jpg

Tazzu

I miss Syphon Filter 3 and (this one maybe already is available for PS4 and PS5 because it's a PS2 game) Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain there, but love to see Syphon Filter is going to get love in the new PS+.

I bet they will be the original PS1 and PSP games emulated to sell them in the PSN store and to include them in PS+.

All the PS2 & PS4 games included in PS Now were also available to be purchased outside the subscription in the PS4+PS5 PSN store, and all the PS3 games included in PS Now were available to be purchased in the PS3 PSN store.

So I assume they will be available to be purchased in the PS3 or PS4+PS5 store.
So does that mean my purchases will be playable on the PS5, i.e. the PSone/PS2 games that I bought on my PS3?

Last edited:

coffinbirth

I can't imagine any professional emulator would include the new z-buffer and mipmap or widescreen hack features that have been added to PS1 emulators, and certainly none would use any of the AI-remastered texture passes. It can be a gorgeous improvement on the games, but these are such a fundamental change of how the games look and perform that it's just not how an official emulator would be used. (Granted, Square used AI remastering for its Chrono Cross release, but that was a single, repackaged product.) Plus there'd probably be some legal issues with offering changed assets and modifications to the game that an official distributor couldn't get into but a hacker can do now.

It's a shame, the up-rendered/hack-improvement techniques don't help Syphon Filter a lot (it's not super conducive to the way it did textures and lighting) but it does clean up the visuals.

maxresdefault.jpg
Yeah, that doesn't look nearly as bad as it did on original hardware. I assume this is Duckstation?
If Sony were to take the extra steps to bring their emulators up to par with the unofficial ones, I think this would not only greatly improve the visual quality of these games, but also go a long way to justify not just letting us play our PS1 Classics as is. Obviously in an ideal world, both of these things would exist, but alas.

Calverz

maxresdefault.jpg
I see your duckstation photo and I raise you:
uZfMflz.jpg

Duckstation on series x/s

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
how much you wanna bet the emulation will be worse than existing emulators lol
Other than PSMini which used a homebrew emu - Sony's emulation has been pretty good IME, and their PSP/PS1 have been basically perfect to date (they already had PSP emulation on PS4 too, not just the PS3). Though yea who knows - they might reinvent the wheel just 'cuz (and to make sure they're not be compatible with existing classics 🤦‍♂️).
I mean if you're looking for hacks/enhancements - sure, but that's where official emulators all do less in general. Though at least Sony so far released the only PS2 emulator that can run games in high-resolution with actually accurate visuals. It's too bad they threw it at a paltry 50 games and never supported it for 4k - but 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

"The titles will likely be offered as part of the PlayStation Plus Premium tier set to launch in June, which includes access to a catalogue of “beloved classic games” from the original PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and PSP generations."

mG6OJyh.jpg

I'm good fam.

Gp1

I loved all of them back at that time but If this isn't some sort of ps classic, they need to update the gameplay.

Last edited:

yurinka

mmm... I went to the actual Game Rating and Administration Committee of Korea website and don't see these games. But instead they have there listed Omega Strain, which like Syphon Filter 3 is missing in the OP. There's also a Syphon Filter rate which I assume is the original one.

image.png

So does that mean my purchases will be playable on the PS5, i.e. the PSone/PS2 games that I bought on my PS3?
I don't know, I'm only speculating like everyone else.

As far as I know the PS2 games of PS4 & PS5 aren't the same ones from PS3, because they have additions and modifications like trophies. So aren't crossbuy and are counted in the store as separate titles.

The PS1 and PSP (PS Mobile & Minis) games seem to the same ones: simply unmodified PS1 & PSP emulated. So are counted as the same title in the store as crossbuy.

I only briefly tested Syphon Filter back then, but would buy a good quality remake.

Next on my list would be Soul Reaver remake, hopefully expanded to include what was cutted during development.
These games listed in Korea seem to be games to be emulated, not remade, on PS4 and PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom