• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remake | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
System-Shock-Remake-Logo.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: System Shock: Remake

Platforms:

• PC (May 30, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (May 30, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (May 30, 2023)
  • Xbox One (May 30, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (May 30, 2023)
Trailer:
Publishers: Night Dive Studios

Plot: [Also known as "System Shock Remake"] You're a renowned hacker, the most notorious cyberspace thief in the corporate world. Caught during a risky break-in, you become indentured to a greedy TriOptimum executive. After six months in a healing coma, you awaken to the twisted aftermath of a terrible disaster. Where are the surgeons? Why is the station in such disrepair? Slowly, the chilling realization that something is very wrong creeps over you. Once a prime corporate research facility, Citadel Station now teems with mindless cyborgs, robots and terribly mutated beings, all programmed to serve SHODAN, a ruthless A.I. There's scarcely time to think before it unleashes the first terror..

Multiplayer: No

Genre: Sc-Fi, Horror, FPS

Review Aggregator:

MetaCritic - 73 average -PC - 30 reviews

7wbszng.jpg

OpenCritic - 72 average - 61% recommended - 25 reviews

vv0MpuW.jpg

Reviews:

BaziCenter - 85/100
System Shock Remake might not be without flaws, but remaking one of the greatest games ever made after almost 3 decades was never an easy task to start with. Nevertheless, the Remake is solid enough to give the new generation of gamers a taste of one of the pioneers of the video games industry
Screen Rant - 80/100
The first entry into the System Shock series has never looked or played better. Updated visuals and smoother gameplay have modernized the game that so many others wouldn't have existed without. While the game still feels best on keyboard and mouse, the game's UI should be adjusted to be more controller friendly by the time the console versions are released. It's a great reason to revisit the game or try it for the first time - just keep in mind that some of its systems have long since been improved by modern design
Eurogamer Poland - 80/100
Despite few shortcomings, new System Shock is an exemplary remake. Nightdive managed to get rid of almost everything that made the original inaccessible, while preserving its unique identity. Still, it is not a game for everyone - one has to forget almost everything that games have taught us over the past decade
GameGrin - 75/100
Unforgiving, with no tutorials, and a true-to-classic experience, System Shock is a retro survival horror title through and through, but you should still consider checking it out, even if you don’t care for the original.
Vandal - 73/100
Quote Forthcoming
PCGamesN- 70/100
The System Shock remake is the best way to play the PC classic, making it an enjoyable first-person experience for the modern age. However, it still clings to some somewhat outdated mechanics that will frustrate newcomers
Checkpoint Gaming - 55/100
Nightdive’s System Shock remake is a strange game, and whether it will appeal to you may largely depend on your nostalgia for the era of gaming from which it came. This remake still shows its age, despite the considerable and impressive paint job, lighting, and updated controls. If you don’t mind the sometimes murderous level of difficulty, tons of backtracking, and minimal handholding, System Shock may be a compelling piece of gaming history that is worth checking out

Last edited:

Hugare

I love immersive sims, so I was really interested in the game and downloaded the Demo

"Unforgiving" is the right word to describe it. The game has almost no tutorials, UI is busy as fuck, enemies hit hard, items and interactive objects in the scenes arent highlighted so you really have to take a closer look into everything and etc.

It looks like a 2023 game but plays like a game of that era.

For newcomers, I found it really hard to get into.

A hardcore experience through and through

amigastar

Does anyone know what will be with System Shock 2? They wanted to make an enhanced version beside System Shock 1 Remake.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

samoilaaa

I love immersive sims, so I was really interested in the game and downloaded the Demo

"Unforgiving" is the right word to describe it. The game has almost no tutorials, UI is busy as fuck, enemies hit hard, items and interactive objects in the scenes arent highlighted so you really have to take a closer look into everything and etc.

well yeah , this is not a game for braindead players (80% of gamers of today) that need a game with puzzles that solve themselves , press a button to show you where to go or u get lost and boss fights filled with quicktime events/button mashing sequence

its sad that we reached a point where these type of games are considered hardcore , 15-20 years ago these games were just normal

Sounds like a good game then. A shame if it's getting dinged by reviewers for lack of handholding and QoL features.

I played some of the original but never got around to finishing it; if this one has more intuitive modern controls, but is otherwise very faithful to the original, I will likely pick it up.

That checkpoint gaming review is so trashy jesus. This is why I keep telling people to stop glorifying reviews but here we are with another thread and another round of dumb ass reviews. He complains about not having any guidance and not knowing what to do in the entire review and likes everything else and thats a 5 out of 10 lmfao. I'm getting Prey flashbacks again.

That checkpoint gaming review is so trashy jesus. This is why I keep telling people to stop glorifying reviews but here we are with another thread and another round of dumb ass reviews. He complains about not having any guidance and not knowing what to do in the entire review and likes everything else and thats a 5 out of 10 lmfao. I'm getting Prey flashbacks again.

If it were Elden Ring he'd of given it a 10/10 with those exact same "problems". These reviewers are all ass, and not the sexy kind.

Just another reason I don't care much for Metacritic in all honesty.

StueyDuck

So this is finally releasing haha..

I hope alot of younger players get into and realise games were great and had great ideas way back when

SaiyanRaoh

Because a lot of the reviews are from younger gamers who moan the game is too old school. sounds right up my alley tbh
I'd love to see these younger "RPG fans" try to play the Gold Box D&D games today. They'd lose their shit having to rely on the manual and the lack of handholding involved.

Last edited:

moniker

Yeah some of the complaints sound like positives to me. It's a faithful remake of a game from an era when games expected you to actually pay attention. It will be interesting to see user reviews.

GamersRD said:
... it's a well done remake. The performance and graphics are decent, its gameplay is quite original and it is definitely an adventure that many of us should dive into (again).

65 / 100 .. okay.

Fbh

Strange, even with currently 73 on metacritic i still wanna play the game.

This game is a perfect example of why the content of the review is more important than the score.
If you just look at the score you simply get "oh it's average".
If you read the reviews you see most of them complain about the fact that while the visuals got upgraded the overall design and mechanics haven't been "modernized", so it might feel dated and/or frustrating if you are used to modern games.

So the question is now not "Do you want to play a 7/10 game?" but "Do you think you'll enjoy a game with modern graphics but the overall design of a 1994 immersive sim?"

Last edited:
well yeah , this is not a game for braindead players (80% of gamers of today) that need a game with puzzles that solve themselves , press a button to show you where to go or u get lost and boss fights filled with quicktime events/button mashing sequence

its sad that we reached a point where these type of games are considered hardcore , 15-20 years ago these games were just normal

Funny thing is in System Shock you could adjust the difficulty of Puzzles to the point where they practically solve themselves. IIRC you could set 4 options (including Puzzles) between a 1-4, maybe even set all of them down to a 1 if you wanted a totally casual experience.

Not sure if the remake provides those options but it should.

Buggy Loop

So the mechanics remain true to the original and is closer to System shock 2 rather than modern standard??

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

WTF was it supposed to be? And certainly don't aim for the shitshow of modern standard designs for nearly all AAA games please. These reviewers would get System shock 2 remake nowadays and would dock points on it, FFS.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Those negatives don't sound super negative to me. Will still be picking this up although the full price tag is maybe a bit much, not decided.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Wait? So this is releasing on consoles tomorrow as well?

€dit: I checked and every news said the console version has been delayed... Damn you OP!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Funny thing is in System Shock you could adjust the difficulty of Puzzles to the point where they practically solve themselves. IIRC you could set 4 options (including Puzzles) between a 1-4, maybe even set all of them down to a 1 if you wanted a totally casual experience.

Not sure if the remake provides those options but it should.
Is the game heavy on puzzles?

Roni

Gold Member
I tried playing the original but didn't get very far, even if these scores aren't that great I might still bite just to see what it's all about.

Last edited:

SCB3

What about Deus Ex from 2000? That one also laid the groundwork for the BioShocks.
Oh yea of course, I've played all of the Deus Ex games, in fact I've never played the PC version of 1 and Invisible War as I had a PS2 and Xbox at that time

samoilaaa

What about Deus Ex from 2000? That one also laid the groundwork for the BioShocks.
everytime deus ex is mentioned i feel the need to replay it , all of them except one , invisible war

i dunno if embracer will do any justice to the ip , if the rumors of coop are true then i doubt they know what makes deus ex great

instead of focusing on , level design complexity , non linear/branching story , environmental storytelling , cities with alot of verticality , alot of useful skills that lets you traverse the areas anyway you want

nah we dont want any of that , just give me coop , a 5v5 multiplayer pvp mode , a battle royal mode and we get a GOTY deus ex

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

Hugare

Thats why I never said that the game was good or bad

My post was more like a warning: if someone is going in expecting a Bioshock in space, this is not.

It does exactly what it set out to do, but it's not for everyone

Personaly, my main problems with the game are the menus and level design

It's basically a 1-1 recreation (from what I've heard) so its understandable that the level design may feel outdated, but to me it looks and feel a bit too old for me liking

Again, it's by design, so its not like its "bad", its just not for me

Last edited:

Karak

I think my biggest issue was a couple text errors I pointed out. With text reading outside the screen on one skill. And the item swapping in recycle systems and purchase systems. The difference between utilitarian and just cumbersome is pretty fine and those 2 spaces seemed to combine into one when using them

Buggy Loop

I think my biggest issue was a couple text errors I pointed out. With text reading outside the screen on one skill. And the item swapping in recycle systems and purchase systems. The difference between utilitarian and just cumbersome is pretty fine and those 2 spaces seemed to combine into one when using them

Seems like a few patches in it'll be solid if those are the biggest complaints.

I've only been waiting on this since the kickstarter...

Animated GIF

Wildebeest

What's this? I love boomer shooters, you run around and parry attacks and one shot enemies with glory kill animations! So retro.

Is the game heavy on puzzles?

Not necessarily. I mean they can be more involved than flipping switches and finding keys, but it's nothing near bordering the level of say Myst or any modern first-person puzzle game.

Thing is you can tailor the degree of exploration, combat, puzzles, and the cyberspace elements:

COMBAT

0 - Enemies don't attack, die in one hit

1 - Easy Combat

2 - Normal/Medium Combat

3 - Hard Combat

PUZZLES

0 - Instantly-solved Puzzles

1 - Easy Puzzles

2 - Normal/Medium Puzzles

3 - Hard Puzzles
MISSION

0 - No Plot

1 - Simplified Plot (no Keycards or Codes, simplified log and e-mail text)

2 - Normal Plot

3 - Seven hour time limit

CYBER

0 - Enemies don't attack, very high time limit

1 - Easy Combat and higher time limit

2 - Normal/Medium Combat and time limit

3 - Hard Combat and low time limit

You can adjust each of these to any level you want, so the game was really forward-thinking in this regard. The Remake should most likely have these options as well, or at least I hope (haven't checked for myself yet).

Last edited:
Top Bottom