• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remake | Review Thread

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
The original was brilliant.

This is the same but with 2023 paint.

How is that not a 10/10 unless, like many reviewers, you either didn't play the original or compare this to other modern games.

This isn't a fast game. System Shock requires thinking.

Apparently a skill many reviewers have lost along the way.

Roni

Gold Member
Pre-ordered and just played the demo, pretty big demo. Didn't get to the end, and I played for like 2 hours until I was cornered by 3 cyborgs. Last save had been a while ago and game is out tomorrow, so I just called it quits.

Really liked the OST, don't know if it's original or not. Only jarring issue is that some textures are really pixelated standing beside high definition ones. Could go for either all pixelated or all high def, but both side by side is a bit weird. Regardless, I'd say the game is great and I'm looking forward to properly starting it tomorrow.

Reactions: Isa

GenericUser

Hey, I didn't knew this was coming out on consoles. The review scores are alright, might give this one a chance. I never played the original.

Mephisto40

The original was brilliant.

This is the same but with 2023 paint.

How is that not a 10/10 unless, like many reviewers, you either didn't play the original or compare this to other modern games.

This isn't a fast game. System Shock requires thinking.

Apparently a skill many reviewers have lost along the way.
Because if you sat somebody under 20 infront of the original system shock they would probably get bored of the clunky controls and the complete lack of direction after 20 minutes

GenericUser

It's only releasing on PC today, console release dates are to be confirmed (if ever).
Ah shit. So the info in the OP is not correct. That's a shame. I was browsing the xbox catalogue and coudln't find it, that explains why. Anyway, have fun with the game PC bros.

Reactions: Isa

SJRB

Gold Member
Ah shit. So the info in the OP is not correct. That's a shame. I was browsing the xbox catalogue and coudln't find it, that explains why. Anyway, have fun with the game PC bros.

GymWolf

Anyone know if pre-ordering via a third party site (looking at fanatical or cdkeys) will still get you the system shock 2 enhanced edition pre-order bonus?

Or do I need to do it via steam to make sure of that?
Do we know if ss2 enjamced is gonna be like this remake or just a coat of paint?

It's kinda of a bold move to gift your next game...

Ulysses 31

Do we know if ss2 enjamced is gonna be like this remake or just a coat of paint?

Will be more like a remaster with improved models/textures. Think someone posted tweets with model comparisons in another thread.

Something in the vain of OG Dark Souls -> Dark Souls Remastered.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GymWolf

Only thing that looks off is the bad textures to make it a mix of new and old graphics.

Obviously the "style" they wanted, but just doesn't mix well.
I think he looks better than most games using ps1 textures as a design choice like minecraft or valheim tbh.

I think it looks very pleasing to the eyes and i usually hate this type of style.

I had no idea this was releasing today. There's legitimately negative marketing for this game. I just seem to remember it being in development hell.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Looks like they are basically transfering the old game over to this new engine and giving assets a simple touch up. So nothing on the scale of this remake unfortunately.

Regardless, I pre ordered via fanatical since there was a bit of a discount there and it's redeemed on steam as the pre-order edition so I'll be getting SS2 enhanced as well.

GHG

Gold Member
Do controllers work on pc?

"partial", what ever that means:

h3fuzi4.jpg

Nemesisuuu

I think I got an extra code, if anyone wants it. Post if it works.

Q383P-J90AT-I0WZH
Nice from you for sharing, although tempted - as someone already said - backlog is huge, so pass from me. And I want to support developers of this remake, so I'll buy it down the road. Kudos for sharing anyway. :messenger_fistbump:

Guilty_AI

"partial", what ever that means:

h3fuzi4.jpg
Means game wasn't designed to support controllers, but you can still play with controller inputs anyway.

You might get things like menus still requiring M+K to properly navigate, no support for certain analogue inputs, no rumble, etc. Or it can still be fully functional.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Means game wasn't designed to support controllers, but you can still play with controller inputs anyway.

You might get things like menus still requiring M+K to properly navigate, no support for certain analogue inputs, no rumble, etc. Or it can still be fully functional anyway.
Odd in light of the game coming to console later. You'd think they would work that stuff out early.

Guilty_AI

Odd in light of the game coming to console later. You'd think they would work that stuff out early.
Proper controller support might be one of the things they left to figure out for later. This is the kind of game that was fully designed with M&K in mind after all.

amigastar

Yo, the game got 75 on MC. We all know that the 1 point from yellow to green makes a big difference for many people.

GymWolf

You mean specific controller support for this game or in general?
Specific to the game but ghg already answered.

Well shit, until i have complete controller support i'm not gonna buy the game.

Or maybe someone with a xone controller can check how good this partial compatibility is.

Last edited:

Roberts

Glad it turned out to be good even though it felt like this will end up being vapourware. Played the original way back in '94 and even though I barely had patience to finish any game I played at the time, I made sure I finished this one.

Top Bottom